Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > taking care of a newborn      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bernta
Msg: 2
taking care of a newbornPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
First off, prioritize everthing!! If it doesn't have to be done, let it go. Keep up on the necessities...baby care, food, laundry, rest...sadly, showers fall under optional!

Invest in a snuggly that you wear. It allows you to hold the baby and still fry an egg or make a phone call. They are usually pretty content in one.

When you do have time to cook, make double. Leftovers are a wonderful thing! as are canned soups, prepackaged meals, and instant anything! In a pinch, call a friend and invite them to lunch...then ask them to bring it!! Most will do so willingly, especially if they are mom's or dad's.

You baby's first two months will seem never-ending to you but they will end. Things will settle, routines will come, and you will learn your baby's cues for what they need and when. Try to enjoy it as much as possible...they will be one before you know it!!
 hungry_joe
Msg: 4
view profile
History
taking care of a newborn
Posted: 6/28/2009 1:21:21 PM
What I used to do, is that I put the baby on a feeding schedule about every three hours.
Secondly I pre planed my meals for the week so that was one less thing form me to worry about. I wrote it down.
I kept the dipars wipes and powder in the top drawer of the changing table.
I napped when I could.
I took a break when I could get one. I would go for a walk or what ever for about a half hour to get my head straight. Sometimes this was done with the stroller. Sometimes I would have someone I trusted watch him.
I wrote all my bills on a calender, and then paid them online, through my bank.
I went to work. That was less stressful believe it or not.
I had no life outside my son. minus the walk and work.
Oh rice in the bottle help him sleep.
And the Glider was a god send. Did a lot of singing and reading in that.
 ~JustSimplyMe~
Msg: 8
view profile
History
taking care of a newborn
Posted: 6/28/2009 7:07:59 PM
I'm curious and going to try not to be a cow with my questions.

How many hours a day do you have her?
What times of the day do you have her?
What do you have going on during those hours that you can't spend quality time with this child you insisted on bringing into the world?

Seriously, a new born baby is NOT that much work. I know plenty of moms who did just fine having a baby FULL time let alone half the day.
It isn't like you are stuck with the midnite, 2 am, 4am and so on feeds...you get the gravy job of caring for a child a couple of hours a day.
Do your stuff BEFORE she comes for crying out loud.

I have read your threads, and feel some sympathy....but as time goes on the sympathy gets to be less and less.
If you are really lacking in any maternal instincts and/or ability to care for a child you shouldn't have had a child in the first place./imho
 ~JustSimplyMe~
Msg: 10
view profile
History
taking care of a newborn
Posted: 6/28/2009 8:37:15 PM
You seem to be judging op...I asked didn't I? To me that shows someone who is trying to understand.

I do believe I apologized up front about the questions I wanted to ask...its up to you though if you care to share the info needed.
 wanderbaby
Msg: 11
view profile
History
taking care of a newborn
Posted: 6/28/2009 8:53:21 PM
You said your bf helps out, and it still doesn't make you a single parent just because he doesn't help out. And if you have another child, then you should really know what you're doing with a newborn since you have already gone through the process, not judging, just stating a fact that you have gone through that stage before.

newborns sleep a lot, so those are good times to do things that you can take care of, like calling or doing light chores. Get a baby monitor if you haven't already to be aware of her if she wakes up while you're in the middle of something.
 ~JustSimplyMe~
Msg: 12
view profile
History
taking care of a newborn
Posted: 6/28/2009 8:58:43 PM
^^ wanderbaby her first child was taken away when he was new, and she only has this one part time...so I'm of the mindset that she has had very little chance to learn how to handle the whole bit.

It was different for us cuz we had baby 24/7 and had no choice but to figure it out. I can't imagine trying to figure it out in bits and pieces
 wanderbaby
Msg: 13
view profile
History
taking care of a newborn
Posted: 6/28/2009 9:30:59 PM
If you have her part time,why can't you take care of the things you need to when you don't have her? and minimize what you dowhen you are with her. time is precious, enjoy it while you can because babies gradually change faces and go through different likings.

check out flylady.com, it helps plan things and reminds you to do certain chores.
 ~JustSimplyMe~
Msg: 19
view profile
History
taking care of a newborn
Posted: 6/29/2009 11:25:24 PM
^^ I'm sure you just wouldn't understand
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > taking care of a newborn