Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > The Blame Game..      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 pantsonfire
Msg: 1
view profile
History
The Blame Game..Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
After reading through the 'Revealing dress' thread, I was constantly amazed at the amount of people who felt it right and proper to blame women for turning themselves into potential victims just because of their choice of clothing...

Why do people insist on blaming victims for the wrongdoings of their attackers?

Why do we sigh and tut at people who leave laptops on their car seats and then moan because they've had their car broken into and their valuables stolen??

Why do we blame the victim for 'enticing' the criminal??

Even I did it on the 'Naked in Public' thread... Professing amazement at parents allowing toddlers to run around naked on public beaches....

Why is it so much easier to blame the law abiding victim than the criminal/ the wrongdoer?

Have we become a society where the criminal is the one who performs to the expected norm and the victim who is the one frowned upon for failing to protect themselves and their property adequately?
 badge73
Msg: 2
view profile
History
The Blame Game..
Posted: 6/29/2009 2:51:55 AM
Because the victims usually have no common sense!!

walking around naked? Be careful your tackle might get burnt

msg to short blah blah blah
 pantsonfire
Msg: 3
view profile
History
The Blame Game..
Posted: 6/29/2009 3:29:16 AM

If some women walk around in clothes that arouse male sexual instincts or are very revealing, how are they gonna expect males to react to that except in a sexual way.?

I expect them to be able to have some control... I expect them to know how to behave themselves... Or perhaps the onus should lie entirely with the woman, perhaps I'm being naive in expecting the (collective) male populace to keep their (collective) penes under control..

EDIT **
But how is it that women can seem to escape all responsibility for enticing men - e.g. by wearing revealing clothing.?

Other than the blindingly obvious fact that dressing provocatively is not illegal and sexual assault is!!! When you see a scantily clad woman do you think to yourself, mmm I could so rape her, she obviously wants me to? Because if you do, then I'd suggest a quick visit to the local head doctors is in order.... As another poster puts it... Just because someone has nice clothes/ jewellery/ car/ property, does that give a burglar the right to take them? If not then the same goes with provocatively dressed women, if not, then your address would be most welcome, I need a new TV for my daughter...
 electric-gypsy
Msg: 4
view profile
History
The Blame Game..
Posted: 6/29/2009 4:03:08 AM
If some women walk around in clothes that arouse male sexual instincts or are very revealing, how are they gonna expect males to react to that except in a sexual way? Men are visually oriented.

So by your own rationale, a gay guy has the right to rape YOU if he likes how you look in shorts, right?

I mean, how precisely does "Men are visually oriented" translate into "Therefore men are not accountable for their actions"???? That's just an excuse to abdicate responsibility.

In theory, everyone ought to be perfectly safe walking around entirely naked, if they so wish. It's not a suggestion, naturally - but all of us shoulder full responsibility for our behaviour and actions in ALL circumstances. How someone chooses to attire himself or herself matters not a jot.
 restless_native
Msg: 5
view profile
History
The Blame Game..
Posted: 6/29/2009 4:06:41 AM
As someone else has pointed out I think that this is more about using common sense than the rights of women to wear what they like.

If a woman chooses to walk home alone drunk in the early hours down a dark alley wearing a short skirt and a crop top she's a fool in exactly the same way as someone who leaves a laptop in plain view on the passenger seat of an unlocked car.

We'd all like to live in a eutopian society where nothing bad ever happened. But, the sad fact is that we don't and so sensible people take precautions to reduce the risks to themselves.
 electric-gypsy
Msg: 6
view profile
History
The Blame Game..
Posted: 6/29/2009 4:18:09 AM
So long as some women can get to say and do as they damn well please, they do not actually care how many other women might be assaulted as a result.

So, Chili, you're saying that if some big, hairy gay daddy gets the urge to rape some poor bloke after seeing you mincing aboot in tight shorts, then ultimately, YOU'RE to blame for the resulting assault???

Lord help us!
 pantsonfire
Msg: 7
view profile
History
The Blame Game..
Posted: 6/29/2009 4:23:11 AM

Women shoulder full responsibility for their behaviour and actions in ALL circumstances too, or do you think it is all the fault of the men.?

True rape is ALWAYS the fault of the rapist and NEVER the fault of the victim...

End of ...
 restless_native
Msg: 8
view profile
History
The Blame Game..
Posted: 6/29/2009 4:26:46 AM
A woman wearing a short skirt and crop top cannot be to blame for a rapists sick actions.The fact that she decided to put herself in that position by walking that route is what is questionable

Exactly. Like most crimes the perpetrator needs the opportunity to commit it. Obviously a crime doesn't happen unless there is criminal intent. However, it can usually have been prevented if the victim had taken a different course of action.

Knowing about the possible consequences of our own actions leads us to act in certain ways to try and eliminate the risk of bad things happening to us at the hands of others. Anyone who goes through life oblivious to these consequences is simply being naive.
 pantsonfire
Msg: 9
view profile
History
The Blame Game..
Posted: 6/29/2009 4:40:13 AM
MSg 33 ...This is what I mean though.. Why should law abiding citizens have to alter their behaviour patterns just because of a small scumbag element?

The advice to leave car keys clearly visible in your own house so that thieves don't hurt you in their quest for your car, that you paid for!!

It's all wrong....

This is kind of going off track with the women and rape, it's all criminality that I was meaning to discuss... All victim crimes... If the victim hasn't put their nice new Audi in a triple bolted garage, with an alarm, immobiliser and great huge guard dog, then they deserve to have had it stolen... It's such a pity we find it easier to fault the victim's behaviours rather than the criminals...
 restless_native
Msg: 10
view profile
History
The Blame Game..
Posted: 6/29/2009 4:44:22 AM
So,the man who is walking home, alone,drunk as a skunk,and gets raped is contributing to it?

As I understood it the original question wasn't whether or not criminals are to blame for their behaviour as they obviously are. But, why people sometimes also blame the victim.

This is the point I'm addressing. The reason people sometimes blame victims is because they believe that if they acted differently which usually involves using more common sense they wouldn't have been a victim at all.

This could apply to a man walking home alone and getting raped, or to a person who went away for the weekend leaving all their windows open, or to someone leaving valuables in plain view in their car, or a woman who gets into an unlicensed taxi.

MSg 33 ...This is what I mean though.. Why should law abiding citizens have to alter their behaviour patterns just because of a small scumbag element?

In an ideal world we shouldn't. But, as we don't live in an ideal world we have to make adjustments accordingly to keep ourselves safe.
 electric-gypsy
Msg: 11
view profile
History
The Blame Game..
Posted: 6/29/2009 4:47:30 AM

Dog the bounty hunter would sort it

Wa-hey! Bring 'im on, bra!
 pantsonfire
Msg: 12
view profile
History
The Blame Game..
Posted: 6/29/2009 4:54:49 AM

All crime and violation is wrong but at which point does the victim become the accomplice to their own violation?

Well according to the criminal compensation board (or whoever it is), doing anything at all is tantamount 'to asking for it'.. For example, taken from a previous thread of mine.....

Kevin Johnson was stabbed to death by a group of youths after confronting them outside his home and asking them to keep the noise down..

His attackers stabbed him to death after inviting him 'To meet Mr Stanley', they then ran off and stabbed a second victim...

His family have been denied compensation because he significantly contributed towards his own death by fighting off his attackers!!!!

So basically we allow criminals to do whatever they like, or we deserve everything and anything that happens to us as a consequence of trying to stop them...
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > The Blame Game..