Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > healthy snacks      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 techgirl27
Msg: 1
view profile
History
healthy snacksPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Fresh fruit and vegetables aside, what is your favorite healthy snack? The idea behind this topic is to put out ideas for good snacks for those looking for options. Maybe its in our fridge and just need a reminder. If its something with a slice of bread, say which brand or kind of bread. Also use this thread to include metabolism boosters in the snacks too.

My recent snack of choice is a slice of 7 grain bread, cut in half, and then spread with hummous and sprinkled with chili powder. I dip it in about a tablespoon of olive oil.

The focus is healthy ones that are convenient to make and quick to eat. So a tossed salad with 8 ingredients probably wouldn't be preferred by busy people as much as a handful of All-Bran crackers.
 techgirl27
Msg: 2
view profile
History
healthy snacks
Posted: 6/30/2009 12:27:13 AM
That greek Oikos fat free yogurt is nice, and high in protein naturally, but its kind of $$$. I like to put flax seed in whatever yogurt I eat. Way tastier and healthier than granola.
 Svetlana Blue
Msg: 3
healthy snacks
Posted: 6/30/2009 4:25:37 AM
Shaved turkey. Hard Boiled Eggs. Small salad with romaine and shaved red onions, olive oil and a little bit of vinegar. Hell, I eat every 2 to 3 hours anyway. Just pre make it all the night before and it is pretty easy.
 Svetlana Blue
Msg: 4
healthy snacks
Posted: 6/30/2009 5:14:37 AM
Mystie~Not to sure if you like Salmon or not...I use Pumklin Seeds (just a little bit) I ground them up in a small coffee grinder and use them to "coat" salmon or chicken with ....sorta works as a "breading" without using all the bad ingredients! Just a thought...it ads a lot of flavor and nothing bad about them at all. Roast them in olive oil and salt in the oven first, grind them up and coat meat with them. Yummy! And you can use any nuts to do this..I just stick to Pumpkin or Pine nuts mainly for the flavor.
 techgirl27
Msg: 5
view profile
History
healthy snacks
Posted: 6/30/2009 8:58:24 PM
I make my own pico de gallo, with only onions, tomatoes, cilantro and jalapenos. No salt, or anything else.

Trouble is I have a hard time eating a whole batch before it spoils, so I have to have a party or picnic or something on the cards before I can really make it.

Another good snack, cottage cheese - as above - with fresh blueberries. yum!
 HarrNels
Msg: 6
view profile
History
healthy snacks
Posted: 7/1/2009 7:55:00 PM
I'm enjoying an oatmeal banana shake right now: I put 2/3 cup oatmeal in a Magic Bullet blender w/ 1/2 tsp cinnamon and blend until the oatmeal is almost flour-like. Add 1 frozen banana (cut in slices), 1 cup milk and 1/2 tsp vanilla and blend until frothy. Yum!
 arwen52
Msg: 7
view profile
History
healthy snacks
Posted: 7/2/2009 2:46:38 PM
Pickled herring. I know it sounds weird but I like it, it's high protein (which I need), and it's one of the highest in omega 3 fatty acids. The stuff I buy is wild caught and as far as I know, herring is not an endangered species.

Outside of that I like hummus and pita, fruit and cheese, sliced turkey breast, Trader Joe's Woven Wheat Crackers (kind of like Triscuit but better and cheaper). Tortilla chips.

BTW, to the woman who liked the Greek yogurt: you can make something similar at home. I take a quart of yogurt, line a sieve with a couple of layers of cheesecloth, and let the yogurt drain overnight in the fridge. I cover it with a lid, leave it sitting over a bowl to catch the whey. The volume of yogurt is reduced by half and you get a very thick, creamy yogurt. You can do what you want with the whey - add it to smoothies, soup, whatever. Or toss it out. I hate to be wasteful but I do like that thick Greek style yogurt. That's why it costs so much. You get a lot less for the amount of milk it's made of.
 destructodave
Msg: 8
view profile
History
healthy snacks
Posted: 7/8/2009 3:48:34 PM
Peanut butter and an apple
 Leadfingers
Msg: 9
view profile
History
healthy snacks
Posted: 10/28/2009 2:29:43 PM
Aside from fresh fruit and vegies, my favorite snack would have to be nuts. Peanuts mainly. I like carrots also but they seem only to make me more hungry. Raisins are good for curing those pesky hunger pangs as well. Not really a fan of any kind of cottage cheese though. The texture reminds me of a mixture of acoustical foam mixed with mayonnaise.
 TheReason_
Msg: 10
view profile
History
healthy snacks
Posted: 10/28/2009 5:30:53 PM
I usually have a bag of trail mix in the fridge.

Raw sliced unsalted almonds
raw unsalted pumpkin seeds
walnut pieces
goji berries
dried currants

I do like cottage cheese, and even just a slice of cheese here and there.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > healthy snacks