Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Should men pay half of the expense of women's birth control?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 2
Should men pay half of the expense of women's birth control?Page 1 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
Your guy should wear the damn condoms!
Cheaper than the pill and less risk to you.
Insist on it.
A guy too cheap or lazy about that, you don't need.
 geeleebee
Msg: 3
Should men pay half of the expense of women's birth control?
Posted: 7/1/2009 9:06:05 PM
Should the man pay for half the birth control?
No.

Birth control, when I needed it, was MY responsibility. He or I could buy condoms, but the bc pills were my expense.

If you're living together and sharing all expenses, then add the pills to the list along with the other medicinal items, but don't expect him to suddenly agree to pay for half of your prescription.

If you break up, will you continue to ask the other men in your life to pay for your birth control?
 aliveone1
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2009 9:08:42 PM
Only if you want him to have a say in what should be done should you become pregnant. I wouldn't want a guy to have anything to do with any of that.

He should have to pay for his own STD screening though, if you guys are having unprotected sex!
 gracengracie
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/1/2009 9:09:45 PM
Op
I'm sorry but this is too damn petty. If someone cant afford the 30$ monthly that birth control costs, then maybe chose to be abstinent!!!

If you are down to the penny pinching....I don't think there is much love involved...
 gracengracie
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/1/2009 9:10:19 PM
Op
I'm sorry but this is too damn petty. If someone cant afford the 30$ monthly that birth control costs, then maybe chose to be abstinent!!!

If you are down to the penny pinching....I don't think there is much love involved...
 MelloDLyn
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2009 9:17:37 PM
Yes I think the man should pay 1/2. Why would the cost all fall on us? Birth control pills are expensive if not covered by insurance.
 aliveone1
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2009 9:26:22 PM
In response to Touchdown Bundy, no. I wouldn't want any input. I wouldn't even want to discuss a pregnancy. All I would have to know when we start dating is that we both agreed we never wanted kids. Okay, that was easy. End of story, next subject. Luckily, or because of my smart use of BC, I haven't yet encountered such a problem.

To add to my last post: while you are responsible for birth control, I hope you had him pay for his own STD screening before you guys started having unprotected sex!

Also, I would definately not be comfortable with condoms being the only form of BC being used. It's fine as a back-up method, but a condom's effectiveness is only about 85% when technical difficulty is taken into account. I wouldn't even trust the pill because that too loses effectiveness if not taken at exactly the same time every day. I found that it was too easy to forget a pill. I use Depo-Provera. It's a shot given every 3 months. 99.999% effective. No mood swings. No periods even! It's a dream come true.

OP, also, if you're having trouble paying for your BC, Planned Parenthood has a sliding scale fee. If you are very low income at this particular moment, they may only require a voluntary donation when you can afford it.
 papa1973
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2009 10:05:39 PM
I'll pay half your birth control if you pay for half the gas it took me to drive to your house and plow you.

And oh yeah you owe me $600 thats your half for the dinners too.
 mcbobly
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2009 11:05:05 PM

Is this what it comes to? Jeezz..the answer is NO. That is just plain stupid. Does he pay for half of the tampons,too?

No sh*t, FFS what the hell is going to be next? Should he be expected to pay half? Hell no, should the woman be expected to pay half the cost of a box of condoms? No, this is so lame and petty and as someone has said, if it has come to the point where you need "his" help with these costs, maybe you should NOT be having sex. BC is the woman's responsibility TO herself to help prevent any "accidents" should the condom break or his choice not to use one. This is so childish and stupid, maybe you should wait to have sex OP until you can afford your OWN BC.
 daynadaze
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2009 11:08:19 PM
I don't think a lot of insurance companies are paying for birth control anymore, so yeah, many people are paying out-of-pocket for it. As to who pays, that would be a discussion between you and the guy you are with.
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/1/2009 11:24:56 PM
I'm pretty damn sure that half the dinners/movies/concerts/get togethers/rent/bills/car insurance/CC bills, ARE NOT paid 50/50 by you and your guy so 'woman up' and do the right thing, how cheap can a person get!!
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2009 11:56:35 PM
Guess it depends, Op. Are you an "independent woman"? Or, a "clingy, need-a-man, gold digger" woman?

Maybe to save that monthly expense, you could propose to him that since he doesn't have to pay for birth control, then you're not going to either and insist he pay for half the abortion should the need ever arise.

It really does sound like you're saying, "if you want to screw me, then you need to pay for it." There's a term for that...hmm, it escapes me at the moment. Actually, it doesn't, but I'm trying to be nice.

Good gawd almighty. Personal responsibility is on the verge of extinction.

~ds~
 867love
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/2/2009 2:26:35 AM
My first reaction is if i'm paying half or even all of $30 a month for her birth control, i better have an unlimited ride pass, plus all access pass to every show -with dining and snacking privledges. -thats really quite a bargain!!!

second thing: a good number of women take the pill to regulate her cycle (birth control is just an ancillary bonus)
 afashionlady
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/2/2009 4:23:50 AM
No.

If you're smart enough to give it up, you should be smart enough to know the costs of whatever you're using, and use your head to get help paying for it if you can't.

As someone who used to not have health insurance years ago...

1) planned parenthood is your friend--insurance or not. They provide free condoms, low cost/sliding scale fees for birth control and TESTING, and more.

2) there are many clinics that aren't free but again, sliding fee scale. I used to get a depo shot (not for bc but other issues) and paid maybe $8 each time. Even when I lived in Hawaii and had no insurance, I was able to find a provider who didn't charge me an arm and a leg to see me. They're out there--as a woman, don't be lazy and say "they're not." Birth control or NOT, you need to see a gynecologist if you're female. Sex or not.

For those who DO have health insurance, and as someone who works in the health insurance field...

1) almost ALL insurance companies pay for birth control of some sort. Not sure? CALL THEM. If you're paying $30/mth for pills, what's wrong with that scenario? Most insurance companies have 90-day scripts. 3 pill packs for $20 or even $50 by mail. My old insurance company paid for my Mirena--I paid $20 for the office visit. Even if they don't have mail order they have something. ASK.

2) ask your provider for samples of something new if he/she is recommending a change. Gynecologists get mad samples. ASK THEM. Tell the doctor you can't afford whatever and you'd be surprised at the help you'll get. If you can't talk to the man or woman who's down there in your cookie about your cookie then you've got issues.

3) make sure that your script isn't written for the brand name whatever. Most of us can use the generic and it's the same. ASK FOR IT.

If you're that broke and can't afford BC, then he needs to wear a condom. PERIOD. He "won't" wear one? Maybe you "don't" need to be with him.

I've been broker than broke before and damn if I didn't pay for THAT one thing on my own always.
 abelian
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/2/2009 4:26:33 AM
No. I paid for dinner.
 Pete_Paranoid
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/2/2009 5:30:30 AM
I think it's a nice gesture!
However safesex/contraception is your own responisbility.
If your too cheap to buy contraception and protect yourself then withdraw. You only have yourself to blame if *accidents* happen.
 Svetlana Blue
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/2/2009 5:38:30 AM
No. Why should he? These things are not that expensive, and personally, I would not even ask a man to pay for them. There are plenty of places to go who offer "discounts" on Birth Control if you are in a bind. I see commercials all the time. And birth control is MUCH cheaper than a pregnancy or the "alternative". monogomous/long term whatever you call it...there is nothing wrong with him wearing a condom. When he marry's you it is "long term". And even then, sometimes it isn't.
 varinia
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/2/2009 6:25:41 AM
Op, what is your cultural background (I guess i should have read your profile, before asking ;-) ).

I hadn't thought of this in ages. But I was born and grew up in Germany and it was quite common that a committed young couple shared the cost of the pill, if they're both in their late teens, 17/18/19, while their still in their apprenticeships.

After you leave school, you spend 2 or 3 years as an apprentice and get $ 150-250 per month, depending on which year you're in. At that time the cost of the pill can be a big chunk, if only one person has to carry the burden.

But then, we're also a country that sees 'going dutch' for everything as the norm.
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2009 6:54:40 AM
Probably not, unless she wants to pay half for my vasectomy.
 LovinLife_01
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/2/2009 7:51:21 AM
Hell, no!

That is being extremely petty! If, I am on the pill.....I take full responsibilty.

Alto, this cracked me up!

My first reaction is if i'm paying half or even all of $30 a month for her birth control, i better have an unlimited ride pass, plus all access pass to every show -with dining and snacking privledges. -thats really quite a bargain!!!

But, I will say this "re: condoms: " If, he don't wanna wear one, I would respond...

" If your not going to sack it, go home and whack it " just sayin'
 Vannili
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2009 7:52:46 AM

I'll pay half your birth control if you pay for half the gas it took me to your house and *plow you*. and oh yeah you owe me $600 thats your half for the dinners too.

How dare some guys think that they are farmer and I am a field to be plowed, to plant zuchinnis,Japanese radishes and cucumbers ,Aayy yay,yay, that does it !!! I will forget about men and become a nun..

Gas+$ 600 is a barter of those " footsies "," commando style manuevers" under the table while dining out......
no pay birth control ,no honey..........
 ColonelIngus
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2009 7:53:13 AM

this issue has split along typical lines. the responsible for myself women will pay for them and the pay me for sex crowd think the man should pay for them as they're a sex expense.

Now that you mention it, in the latter case she should try writing it off on her income taxes as a business expense. I suppose the guy could try doing this too.
 idahosun
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2009 7:59:34 AM
She should pay for her birth control and HE should pay for the condoms, since birth control methods (the pill and other methods) normally do NOT prevent stds. That is the main reason to use condoms, they aren't that reliable for birth control.
 yna6
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/2/2009 8:13:08 AM
Perhaps the guy should pay half...but only IF he gets sex "half the time!"...he IS paying for that....so why shouldn't he be getting it?
Perhaps if a preganancy does occur he should be found NOT financially responsible. He did all the right things to make sure there would be no children. But should he be hung because she "forgot" her pill one day or a defective batch or whatever reason? A broken condom is one thing...but a chemical birth control is something else.
 Vannili
Msg: 33
view profile
History
How about this?
Posted: 7/2/2009 9:27:24 AM

How about I find somebody else to fcuk who doesn't think she is doing me a damn favor when she does so? And you are 42 years old ??? ( hahahaha) Holysmoke I feel for guy who trips and falls into your life....here is hoping* he is still strong enough after doing so to pull himself out*....

Never mind what I heard in the grapevine that you are cheapskate, but you are cute and Funny!!!!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Should men pay half of the expense of women's birth control?