Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Death and the age of 50....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NotTheAverageChick
Msg: 1
Death and the age of 50....Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I've noticed in the past ten years or so that many, many people seem to be dying right around the age of 50. I may be paranoid by the deaths of my father (49 and 11 months) or his mother (42! different factors) but friends, co-workers and their families have noted it as well. With Michael Jackson's recent passing, the idea came up again and on the news today, some Michigan college sports guy died of pancreatic cancer at 49. We don't always know family history, drug/alcohol history or anything for certain but it seems with all the scientific advances, bodies shouldn't be wearing out!

We don't do nearly the amount of physical labor that our ancestors did. We have access to immunizations and some form of healthcare so, why do people seem to be leaving here in unprecedented numbers at this milestone birthday?
 Ron9
Msg: 2
Death and the age of 50....
Posted: 7/2/2009 9:04:19 PM
First off - we did not get the news ........ on everything years ago. Like if some guy farts in Ohio ..... CNN will get the scoop.

I had two friends that died in their early 50s. One was 52 the other was 53. I also died when I was 52 but was shocked back ..... no one knows how long I was dead. They said something plugged my heart. I have a different thought but ........ oh well. That was 10 years ago now.

Mom died at 80 and dad at 66. Both from cancer.

I am pretty sure many many people have died around 50 .... we may not have paid much attention to that when we were 20.

Now we do ..........
 karma1160
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/2/2009 9:56:21 PM
I don't think this is a milestone it is just that you hear about it because it is rare.
I do think though it is a time to realize that one needs higher maintenance .
I have noticed that people are much healthier now than they were 20years ago at the age of 50 that 50 is the new 40.
However I also believe that their is a fine line between pushing oneself too hard and getting regular excercise.
I ride bike and since I live in Minnesota there are months where I can not ride and when I start back up it is a lot harder to train myself to breathe right again but you just got to take it slow and increase your stamina in steps not all at one time.
I also feel that it is okay to stop and take a break when you want .
People have this idea that there is only one way to excersise and look to guru's to show them the appropriate way. This is not necessary work at you own speed and increase things when you feel comfortable.
 quilter54
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/2/2009 9:57:39 PM
Well, I've nearly made it to 55 and I'm not dead yet! Actually, I'm feeling great.
 Passionate Gent
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/2/2009 10:56:17 PM

Like if some guy farts in Ohio ..... CNN will get the scoop.

thanks ron!
 Dancing_4_You
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2009 1:46:56 AM
my kids were very concerned that i had one foot in the grave "at my age". then i started dating and now they can't stop laughing. often at me, versus with me.

i am dating a man, age 57, whose wife came home a bit over a year ago and dropped dead from a heart atttack, without any warning.

yes, it happens, but there are many of us whose kids find extremely amusing and who keep on kicking. i have a disablity, lymes, but have learned to live with it. by becoming disabled, i was then focused on adopting. got my kids at age 50 and wanted to do so since age 5.

with every different prop in our play, we get to assume another role. many people live on, despite their parents' dying young. if there is high blood pressure or a disease marker, you need to address it. that i would take seriously, instead of planning an inevitable demise.

new research shows that genes are altered within the body matrix. that alteration depends on meditation, exercise, weight loss, supplements, joy and more than an occasional good roll in the hay! (just wanted to make sure you read me to the end )

ps my dad died of pancreatitis also, at a young age. but, he drank himself to death. it didn't have to happen.
 breath~
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/3/2009 4:14:38 AM
I had my accident at age 50..
did I die and no one told me?
No wonder I feel invisible in the forums!
 kornbluth
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2009 5:05:27 AM

I've noticed in the past ten years or so that many, many people seem to be dying right around the age of 50

Before the last century, most people died a lot earlier than that. I thought everyone knew that lifespans have been increasing in developed countries, largely because of better sanitation.
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2009 5:42:52 AM
So much depends on current health, habits, genetics, regular medical care, and family history. Those in my family who smoked, or were significantly overweight, died around 50. Those who lived healthier lifestyles typically lasted into their 80's and even 90's. Barring accident or something unusual, I expect another 40 or 50 years - maybe even more if medical advances come along soon enough to give me an extra boost.
 AgelessWonder
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/3/2009 6:30:49 AM
People are living longer now that years ago. I work in an assisted living facility. We had a woman pass away a few months ago, just short of her 106 birthday. Right up until 2 months before her passing, she was very active, perfect health and her mind was excellent. She donated her brain to science. The facility I work in has 94 residents, many in their 90s and about 5 or 6 who are 100.

If you are thinking of people like Michael Jackson, lifestyle and drugs play a big part of that.

People with cancer are living a lot longer than they used to. I almost died in my 50s too, with a pulmonary embolism, but it wasn't time for me to go yet
 iherdcats
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/3/2009 6:46:07 AM

Everyone has an expiration date... its just not stamped on our foreheads.

LOL!
and your first name tattooed on your hand would be helpful too!
 the SoldierByte
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/3/2009 7:56:14 AM
Upt ill about 40 or so I figured I'd be dead by age 50..
Still here, health is good, and now my occupation is
not such a deterrant to health and life..
I am not too well versed on health issues and such..
So now, I'm just rolling with the punchs and hoping
that when it's my time.. it is quick and painless..
I figure I cannot ask (or expect / demand) much more..
more later...
---SoldierByte---
 lokeylarry
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/3/2009 8:01:18 AM
Embrace death...it is nothing to fear, do you suppose the creator of all this beauty which shows both his power and love doesn't make death just as wonderful. Sure pain is a pain but death is the solution to all pain. I inhabit this body but it is not me. I am excited what awaits from my magnificent creator, life is a vapor. All earthly things are temporary and passing, it is the spirit that is both eternal and real.

remember the old saying: a coward dies a thousand deaths but a brave man dies but once !

GoodmanGreg
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/3/2009 10:28:10 AM

I've noticed in the past ten years or so that many, many people seem to be dying right around the age of 50
SeriouslyFun1: You really touch on something here very close to me. I lost my dear wife Maggie at the age of 50 to colon cancer. It took me almost 12 years since my divorce and some relationships in between to finally find her. I met her in March of 2003, moved from Boston to NYC to be with her in Sept 2004, we found out about the cancer in June 2005, we were married in October 2006 and she passed away in October 2007. I will always love and miss her, but the experience taught me that everyday is precious. No day should be wasted if we can help it. Life goes on, and so does the love I had for her which lives inside my heart as I move ahead with my life. Life is short. Fifty is too young. We never know what tomorrow brings, so don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today. Don't put off love you can have today and wait for tomorrow. Tomorrow may never come. Enjoy today!
 Isabella_the_Lost
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/3/2009 10:34:32 AM
GoodManGreg.. I'm so very sorry for your loss. Heartbreaking. :(

But what a spooky topic. Gosh, that means... I better get busy since I turn 48 this year!
 GoodmanGreg
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/3/2009 10:44:33 AM
isabella_the_lost: Thank you. Not looking for condolences, but thank you anyway. Very nice of you. I guess I'm trying to point out how precious life is and with all the bickering, gender bashing and complaining we all do in some of these Forums, each of us has an opportunity to make something special of our lives. Thats the lesson's learned here.

Although the topic is spooky, its necessary and it brings me to the point of reminding one and all, if you are nearing 50, get a colonoscopy done! Colon Cancer is very curable if detected early and very deadly if not.

Please Everyone in the USA have a wonderful and Safe July 4th!
Everyone else in the world have a great weekend!
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2009 10:49:58 AM
lokeylarry, GoodmanGreg:

Thanx for saying the same things, but from different perspectives.

I check the obits everyonce in a while; mostly to make sure I'm not listed. What I find is that folk around my age are dieing, not of the ravages of time, but of something more tragic: auto crashes, sudden illness, violent atrocities.

Almost lost our pastor 11 years ago to a brain tumor and then a week or so ago a lady who was a year ahead in law school went in quick time, also from a brain tumor. Left behind at least one child, a boy about my son's age. Dad retired from the gummint at 61 and had a major coronary that spring - and survived.

But mostly, folk filling the obit page are those we expect to see there - the old. In fact, one of the oldest in the world lives right here in Montana - Walter Bruening, up in Great Falls, over 110 yo. How about that. Of course, he's on the right slope of the Rockies.

TK
{my desire? to celebrate the Tri-Centennial on the Capital Mall; was there for the Bi-Centennial}
 Dancing_4_You
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2009 10:50:19 AM
breath, you are far from invisible. just "roll over" the negativity. you are one brave broad. i have a friend who uses a wheelchair and he just met someone! you will too. just make yourself accessible (now there's a word!) having a disability has been one pain in the ass for me, literally with lymes. but, it has also led me to some very interersting places that i often talked about, such as adopting my kids, but finally got to do. i have found, that at this age, most of the "dudes" have something of their own that is not perfect.

new disease theory is showing how "germs" have evolved to keep us alive so they have a continual meal! in the past, epidemics soared, everyone died and the pathogens were wiped out. today, there is way more "chronicity". my brain has told my little lyme buddies to stay asleep and hide. if they come out, i zap them. G-d bless antibiotics!

i believe that technology is addressing paralysis, so you may live to see it and "breathe" it. who knows?
 Isabella_the_Lost
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/3/2009 10:58:36 AM

isabella_the_lost: Thank you. Not looking for condolences, but thank you anyway. Very nice of you. I guess I'm trying to point out how precious life is and with all the bickering, gender bashing and complaining we all do in some of these Forums, each of us has an opportunity to make something special of our lives. Thats the lesson's learned here.

Although the topic is spooky, its necessary and it brings me to the point of reminding one and all, if you are nearing 50, get a colonoscopy done! Colon Cancer is very curable if detected early and very deadly if not.

Please Everyone in the USA have a wonderful and Safe July 4th!
Everyone else in the world have a great weekend!

I understand completely, and I'm sorry if I offended you. And you're right... there is a lot that needs considering as we age, that's for sure.

Good health to everyone. :)
 stunt groom
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/3/2009 12:40:29 PM

I've noticed in the past ten years or so that many, many people seem to be dying right around the age of 50. I may be paranoid by the deaths of my father (49 and 11 months) or his mother (42! different factors) but friends, co-workers and their families have noted it as well. With Michael Jackson's recent passing, the idea came up again and on the news today, some Michigan college sports guy died of pancreatic cancer at 49. We don't always know family history, drug/alcohol history or anything for certain but it seems with all the scientific advances, bodies shouldn't be wearing out!

We don't do nearly the amount of physical labor that our ancestors did. We have access to immunizations and some form of healthcare so, why do people seem to be leaving here in unprecedented numbers at this milestone birthday?

There have been some high profile people who've died young recently. But I can tell you that life expectancy is at an all time high in the U.S. There is nothing 'unprecidented' going on.. I will say black people (on average) don't live as long as whites. And women live longer than men on average (but that is narrowing lately). But on an individual basis those facts mean little if you take care of yourself..
 GoodmanGreg
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/3/2009 12:48:02 PM

I understand completely, and I'm sorry if I offended you
isabella_the_lost: No offense intended or taken. I really appreciate from my heart your condolences. As I say, its life's lessons and one that I have learned that hard way. Its changed my life and my outlook. Hopefully, from this day forth, forever!
 strollinbella
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/3/2009 1:42:48 PM
I have noticed in recent months that there seem to be more people dying in their 50s than just a few years ago. It is not uncommon to see one or two deaths listed for that age group when I occasionally glance at the local paper's obituaries. Even while saying that, as someone who works in the home health sector, most of my clients are well into their 80s, if not their 90s and still fairly with it mentally and physically.

I have had two close calls in the last 20 years; a cardiac arrest and a blood clot, yet am still here. Gives me the desire to live a more healthy lifestyle and to appreciate every moment as a precious gift.
 Dancing_4_You
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2009 2:26:31 PM
goodmangreg, i'm dating a man whose wife came home over a year ago and dropped dead at age 53. he too only knew her five years and was married just a couple. with his loss, came many others. i think some of us, have a built in tackle it and learn and spread the love innate mechanism. others are frozen in depression or sour in their armour and others hold fear close to their hearts. i am happy that you seem to be the one trying to spread what you have learned and you have an looking out for you. i do believe it's better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved or to have been loved..........but again, i'm an educated risk taker. some don't want the pain and thus never feel the joy.
 R2D2_1
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/3/2009 2:51:44 PM
Death at or around 50 is extremely rare unless you're obese or suffer from some genetic defect and even then, it's not that common. Michael Jackson died from an alleged drug overdose. Elvis Presley died from a drug overdose. So have many other prominent entertainers. So nothing natural with that. My younger brother died from a heart attack at 55 after living a normal stress free healthy lifestyle. My older brother, who farmed, has cancer and emphizema (sp). Neither one smoked a cigarette their entire life and neither one had a weight problem. Farming is hard on one's health though because of the dirt and chemicals.

My uncle and aunt are in their 90s and both have smoked since their teen years. For 90+, they're both healthy and still smoke and the only last generation relatives I have that are still alive. All the nonsmokers are dead. Course most all of them were overweight and not very active. Go figure!!!

My point is, you just don't know regardless of how you live your life. When your times up, it's up. Nothing you can do about it. I don't spend any time thinking about it. A decent health care system that everyone has access to would go a long way toward preventing the early deaths that do occur.
 farceur
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/3/2009 3:00:11 PM
There is the fact of how many people die at 50 and then there is the question of how it can seem like something is happening more from how you're noticing it more. If you buy a red car, you'll start noticing all the other red cars and it will seem like there are more of them on the road. You wouldn't have any idea of how many green cars there were, as those would be overlooked. Has the number of people dying at 17 or 35 seemed to go up or down recently? You'd know if you had been paying attention to those numbers.

One of the chores of middle age is to take death seriously as something that will happen in the foreseeable future instead of way off someday too far ahead to imagine. Each time you learn of someone dying it's another chance to think on the subject a few minutes before something else distracts you. Once you collect a few examples to ponder it becomes time to move from the individual examples to the overall theme, and fit yourself into it somehow. It's on your mind because you're coming to terms with your own mortality. In youth the job is to look ahead at life and what all you will be doing with it. Then as old age approaches the job changes to include looking ahead towards death, how you'll die, what you've done so far, if your life has meant anything and what else you might have left to do.

5o is significant because we count to 100, even if we live to 75 or so. By rights, 38 should be the age we consider mid-life. But we tend to think of 50 as half way there, and the unofficial end of summer, so to speak.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to turn 50. My idea of life after 50 is dismal. It may be just a number but somehow this particular number seems to represent something big, and I'm not sure what that is, exactly.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Death and the age of 50....