Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  > British & Irish Lions      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Munsterbear
Msg: 1
British & Irish Lions Page 1 of 1    
So the Series is over, with the Lions losing 2-1. But what do people think?

Were you watching the tour? I caught most of it.

Who do you think stood out? Kearney, Fitzgerald, Wallace, Philips, And Shaw. Mad to think he is 35 and still playing like a 25 year old.

Personally I love my rugby and am little disappointed it's a whole 41 days to the pre-seaason friendlies haha. And while the Lions may have lost this serious, I love the history of it. I love the idea of the best players from 4 countries coming together, each bringing a different skill set to the table. I know if things worked out differently, it could have being me there, damm all those pints and kebabs.
 grimisocks
Msg: 2
British & Irish Lions
Posted: 7/4/2009 6:18:54 PM
there needs to be a serious conversation in the halls of the irb in merrion square about the realism and viability of continuing with this outdated series. my view is that with the advent of professional rugby, players, clubs etc cant afford a trip to the northern hemisphere for a month or so. this is because the season starts so soon that if injuries are accrued, celtic league and maybe european games will become non contested affairs with second string sides lining out. also, we've seen the reluctance on s. africa to release their players for the midweek game. thus making those games none events. so, whats the point in playing them?
man...those games were brutal. expect players to take time getting over this experience.
 Munsterbear
Msg: 3
British & Irish Lions
Posted: 7/4/2009 9:16:00 PM
Grimisocks,

I do value your reply, but just to clarify. It's the Lions who tour the Southern Hemisphere. This year the Bokkies, in 4 years it will be the Aussies, another 4 it will be the Kiwis. Nobody is actually travelling to the northern hemi to play the Lions.

but I see where you are coming from. Are there too many games in the current year. Munster players who were not involved in any comps over summer are already back training. Those in the Churchhill Cup will be back in a few weeeks. Paulie O'C will not be back till Sept or Oct.

So I pledge my loyalty to the Lions Tour and awareness to the importance of midweek games to build combinations and maintain fitness.

Just a few thoughts from myself
 saemurph
Msg: 4
British & Irish Lions
Posted: 7/6/2009 5:01:58 AM
I didn't see any of the matches as I don't have sky. I did however listen to the second test on the 'wireless' on radio 5 live. I also listened to the Ireland V Sri Lanka cricket match during the twenty20 and got most excited when Ireland scored 10 from 2 balls and brought themselves right back into the game.

Exciting life I lead eh?
 Quite Intrigued
Msg: 5
British & Irish Lions
Posted: 7/6/2009 12:43:57 PM
Heaslip deserved the Man of the Match, not Williams. O' Connell did a good job as captain. Drico had a stormer. Jones strenghtened the case to replace O' Gara with Sexton...

I'm disappointed in the SA marketing of the games though... They're renowned for it.
 grimisocks
Msg: 6
British & Irish Lions
Posted: 7/6/2009 4:31:22 PM
ya of course its the s. hemisphere. just a typo...
the original reason of the lions was because in days gone by, northern players had very little oppertunity to play their southern brothers. national teams didnt tour that much. now its different. the autumn internationals have been established as a way of pitting the north against the south. money reasons loom large in this series.
soooo, the lions concept is outdated. it will take eight or maybe twelve years for this message to sink through to those who matter most, but it will.
 Dr. Greenthumb
Msg: 7
British & Irish Lions
Posted: 7/9/2009 10:28:52 AM
i don't think this series is outdated in any way but i do think it has to be looked at and adjusted to suit the modern game of rugby.

with the midweek teams being quite weak it doesn't prepare the Lions suitably for the test so maybe there is a case for cutting the tour duration down and having the majority of the warm up games against the best club teams in the northern hemisphere or maybe the second string national sides. Also the seasons that run into the world cup summer are adjusted to suit and allow the players to recouperate and gel with the national sides prior to taking part in the tournament. This should be adapted for Lions Tour Summers also, if they're going to play the tri nations they should at least be able to give it their best shot and if it was the case this year and the Lions didn't lose the props in the 2nd test i think the outcome of the series would be a whole lot different.

I don't think in any way this should be abandoned as it is a massive piece of rugby history and the greatest honour of a players career in these four countries.
 Munsterbear
Msg: 8
British & Irish Lions
Posted: 7/10/2009 7:29:35 AM
You'd wonder about the value of the mid week games alright. Only really pick up ijuries and don't really learn about the combos as it is not against real opposition. A lot of the mid week teams were happy to kick every time they got their hands on the ball. Nothing like the confidents bokkies who had no problem running the ball.
Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  > British & Irish Lions