Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > afraid of being shot for reporting a dui      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ezzee
Msg: 2
afraid of being shot for reporting a duiPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
My wife faces the same situation as well at work. I don't believe she calls the cops on drunks though, mainly because the cops are usually sitting nearby in their cars so they can see the people who drive through drunk.

But to answer your specific questions.

Is it possible that i unintentionally endangered mine and my crew's lives?

Yes.

Was it still the right thing to do?

Yes.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 3
afraid of being shot for reporting a dui
Posted: 7/5/2009 7:21:31 AM
I would hope you are the last thing on his mind...DUI and drugs he may still be in Jail.

Right now he's looking and counting the dollar amount and time in jail he may have to face...right now, he's facing court time, fines, jail or probation with fines...

His Lawyer is telling him to keep his nose clean...

Dont stress out to bad...IF he does come back thru your drive thru as a intimadation tactic, just get him thru and call the cops, let him know if he's comming by or if you see him hanging around...let the DA and cops know.

you can get a copy of the police report and check this guy out...see if he has any outstanding or recent convictions...A good Defence is a smart offence...
 Jewels49
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/5/2009 7:36:46 AM
Sometimes doing the "right thing" does not feel good.
Do it anyway.
 Got Trance
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/5/2009 7:42:55 AM

I am starting to doubt weither or not i did the right thing.

Yes, you did the right thing.

one of my crew people said that they saw one of the cops point at the resturant

There could be any reason the cops pointed towards the restaurant. The police could have been telling him that he could have driven into the building and hurt people. The cops are people too and it is possible one of them spilled the beans. Happened to me one time.

what if this guy comes back with a gun and shoots me or one of my workers?

That is a legitimate fear. But do not let that deter you from continuing to do the right thing.

Barry
 yna6
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/5/2009 7:51:38 AM
Don't become on eof the "sheeple". Why not report the guy? He would/could cause harm to others because of his foolishness. If he's a druggy, makes it even worse. Why bow down to this kind of slime? It certainly doens't help society...and the person he hurts/kills may be someone you care about.
Don't worry too much about things. I've been in the same situation. I reported a guy and the cops nabbed him. He didn't bother coming back. Perhaps he actually got the help he needed. 99% of the people in that kind of situation won't go back or try to threaten anyone. The 1 % who do can be picked up easily enough.
Seems odd to be so frightened of being shot by some punk because HE was the one who broke the law and got caught doing it. Certainly was his own fault, now wasn't it? If he didn't want to be caught, he wouldn't have done it in the first place....so that in itself bespeaks his silent cry for help! (Even if it doesn't, he's still an idiot and needs to be shoved into the system to make him see the error of his ways.)
you done good. Keep up the good work!
 carterscutie85
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/5/2009 8:08:16 AM
It could be possible he was so drunk at the time he doesn't even remember what restaurant he was arrested at...I have worked retail for a very long time and whenever we had to call the cops on a shoplifter or unruly customer they never came back after getting out of jail and retaliated. One time, we had a woman actually attack my manager. Turns out she had been arrested 37 times prior for violence related incidents. After she was arrested we know she got out of jail but she never returned to our store.
I think you did the right thing. He might have been the next person in your city to drive drunk and kill an innocent person. How would u have felt if the next day u seen the same man on the news along with a story about him killing an innocent family by driving drunk?
 whothehellknows
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/5/2009 8:44:29 AM
1) you should have called.

2) If he was THAT drunk, he probably doesn't remember anything about that night anyway.
 barbee1970
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/5/2009 10:56:47 AM
You did the right thing. If the cops pointed your way, they did the wrong thing.

If you report a crime they say you can remain anonymous. How can you do that if the cop blows the whistle? True the guy may return to retaliate.
 hellgremlin
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2009 12:25:59 PM
You and your fellow employees should be armed. I see you're from Ohio - you should take advantage of the excellent firearms possession laws available to you. I highly recommend taking a few courses, and familiarizing yourself with a weapon you'd be comfortable with.

Not only will the presence of firearms make your business more secure on the off chance that some drunk decides to do something stupid (or some criminal decides to hold you up,) their mere being there will make you feel a lot safer in your day-t0-day work.
 nebula22
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/5/2009 12:39:17 PM
Yes, the cops probably snitched on you for calling..
His buddies are probably building the bomb to blow up the place where you work..

Get yourself a couple of guns although they won't help against the bombs.

Or ,, you can get yourself a new job in a dry cleaners where you won't be tempted to call the cops on people ....
 JWG86
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/5/2009 3:32:22 PM
Many corporations have anti-firearm policies and the OP could lose her job for excercising her rights if she chose to carry. This is a big problem in America. While you can, in many states carry, you are still limited by the contract that you signed when you agreed to the job you have. They can legally fire you for breech of company policy.
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2009 4:04:47 PM
You did the right thing.

Best not to tell anyone of your good deed if you don't want it to get back to anyone with bad intentions.

I would be afraid that I would be the victim of a DUI driver if someone knowlingly allowed them to proceed and drive into the night and not call the cops.

my aunt and cousin were killed by a drunk driver a few years ago....two other cousins were badly injured in the crash too.
 hellgremlin
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2009 5:40:58 PM

Many corporations have anti-firearm policies and the OP could lose her job for excercising her rights if she chose to carry. This is a big problem in America. While you can, in many states carry, you are still limited by the contract that you signed when you agreed to the job you have. They can legally fire you for breech of company policy.

That's why you don't inform head office :p
 daynadaze
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2009 6:34:14 PM
Ask the police why they told him you called them and talk to someone higher up than the ones who showed up when you called.
 Husker Freak
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2009 7:30:46 PM
Hi:

You did the right thing. I would of at least waited until he left your parking lot before calling at the most. If you call 1 800 grab dui can you remain anonymous?
 leadpipe1958
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/6/2009 7:02:41 AM
I would not worry but be wherry. 99.99% will not bother you because they know they will not be able to get away with it. Drunks don't want trouble ( it screws up the drunk). I bet drunks will not stop by any more because news like that is like lighting. What do people do at a bar,Talk..
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > afraid of being shot for reporting a dui