Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Why do most people think aliens are friendly?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LeCutter
Msg: 1
Why do most people think aliens are friendly?Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
What if some aliens showed up? What if they wanted to be here and got pushy about it? I always thought it as bad enough that we had Kurt Valdheim as our ambassador to the stars ala Voyager, but the message they sent....

As the Secretary General of the United Nations, an organizations of the 147 member states who represent almost all of the human inhabitants of the planet earth. I send greetings on behalf of the people of our planet. We step out of our solar system into the universe seeking only peace and friendship, to teach if we are called upon, to be taught if we are fortunate. We know full well that our planet and all its inhabitants are but a small part of the immense universe that surrounds us and it is with humility and hope that we take this step.

Imagine you're the Predator aliens for example. Wouldn't that just be an open invitiation to come in and enslave and/or wipe us out? I'm sure there are probably a lot of advanced, peaceful Starman/ET kind of aliens out there, but they can't all be friendly. Maybe we should count our blessing were out in the backwaters of space untill a time we can reach superliminal speeds, and have phasers and photon torpedoes and the like. Like Will Rogers said, "Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
 rockondon
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Why do most people think aliens are friendly?
Posted: 7/6/2009 1:52:05 AM
Have you ever met an alien that wasn't friendly?
 Vancer
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/6/2009 2:22:17 AM
Have you ever met an alien that wasn't friendly?

I have personally met an alien, ghost, and sea monster that weren't friendly at all!
Ever since then I been freaking right out man. They could wallop us royally at any time, if they just pooled their ass probes, subway can kicking, and lumps of seaweed together into a full frontal assault.

*rolls under bed and begins shaking*
 planificateur
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/6/2009 2:22:45 AM
aliens-------
 Beefcakedaddio
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/6/2009 2:31:03 AM
"Why do most people think aliens are friendly?"
Too many people watch Star Trek.
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2009 8:05:23 AM
Most of the aliens I've encountered have been busy building condos or cleaning houses. Overall, they've been friendly.

If you mean extraterrestrial intelligent beings, then one can only speculate, and if Hollywood is correct, there are few if any friendly aliens. Assuming they have the tech to get here, they could probably do whatever they pleased whether we liked it or not, so it would probably depend on their cultural philosophy. If they're like Buddhists, they'd probably want to co-exist. If they're like Christians or capitalists, they'll want to conquer and exploit - or at least impose their way of thinking.
 no_excuses_please
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/6/2009 8:34:22 AM
Most people fervently hope that they are.
Because if they weren't...they've already shown that they'd have enough technology to cancel Christmas for the human race just by coming here.
 Ahoytheredave
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2009 8:35:23 AM
Capitolists would want trading partners with wealth building on both sides to build even more capitol through trade. If Buddhists, they might be like the samurai or kamikaze and violently suicidal. If Christian, they would send missionaries to try to make us feel guilty and send us a big collection plate to make up for our sins.
 MtLoopHiker
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/6/2009 9:28:23 AM
Good grief. Talk about inflated self-importance on a planetary scale. Listen up, here's the skinny:

ANY race technologically advanced enough to have interplanetary space travel is *not* gonna require or want *anything* that we have.

The premise of this thread is like a paranoid tramp fearfully guarding his shopping cart from envious millionaires. It ain't gonna happen.
 abelian
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/6/2009 9:43:21 AM

What if some aliens showed up? What if they wanted to be here and got pushy about it?

I'd help them if it meant being able to travel with them. It's not like this planet is filled with model citizens.

Maybe we should count our blessing were out in the backwaters of space untill a time we can reach superliminal speeds, and have phasers and photon torpedoes and the like.

Star Trek is science fiction, not technology.
 Mister Logic
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/6/2009 9:52:05 AM
If ETs are visiting our planet (and that's a BIG IF), they don't seem to be either too friendly or too hostile. If they were hostile, they could have killed us all off a long time ago. And if they were friendly, they would have landed by now and shaken our hands (assuming that they even have hands )

(BTW, Why do most people seem to think that the term, "alien" means someone from another planet? It simply means someone not from our country. )
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/6/2009 4:11:43 PM
I am pretty sure if the galaxy was nothign but a free for all our planet would long ago be conquered by whoever has the biggest ships? Earth is a tropical oasis by galactic standards. We are on the outer fringe of the galaxy, orbiting a small'ish star, in the middle of no where, on a very special and rare kind of M class planet. Its prime real estate. Kind of like a galactic vacation resort.

The only logical awnser is that if there is advanced civilizations then we are being protected like a natural wildlife reserve. I cant get this across enough, earth is a RARE kind of planet because of its proportion of water to land, tectonic plate movement, axial tilt, orbit, distance, large moon, strong electromagnetic feild, thick atmosphere. Its a planet of gold, yet we are left alone except for thousands of sightings, 90% of which describe aliens that look like "greys" "
 Vancer
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/6/2009 5:04:03 PM
Is possible that aliens would wish to help preserve life wherever they can find it.
I bet that alien, ghost and sea monster, I mentioned earlier, were just joshing me with those threats.
They were probably afraid they'd get too attached to me.

Such champions of the heart, those guys.
 *Starstuff*
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/6/2009 5:55:41 PM

They do? Not according to most movies.

We'll just have to wait and see, won't we?
 Peaceful68
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/6/2009 6:49:13 PM
More importantly, why do people presume that they don't exist? Is it because they have been conditioned to follow one line of thought? Is it because they are afraid to accept that humans are not the most advanced sentient beings in the universe? There are a number of reasons why humans possess such an arrogance but shortly they will have to learn to accept the inevitible truth.

Peace
 lucaspa
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2009 8:11:41 PM
mtloophiker: "ANY race technologically advanced enough to have interplanetary space travel is *not* gonna require or want *anything* that we have. "

Not necessarily true. They may require our real estate. Whether extraterrestrial sapient species are friendly or not depnds on a lot of things we don't know:
1. Their biology.
2. Their evolutionary history.
3. Their society.
4. The number of inhabitable planets available.

One of the possible answers to the Fermi Paradox (where are the interstellar civilizations?) is the Predator Hypothesis. In this scenario one predatory species gets dominance and keeps it by destroying all possible competitors.

OTOH, any species that gets interstellar travel (particularly at sublight speeds) requires a huge industrial base. To get that technologically advanced, they probably had wars on their own planet during history. Therefore they know the cost of wars. Plus, they would be a LONG way from home in terms of resupply. But OTOH, if there are few available planets and their biology is such that they cannot control population, survival as a species means that they have to take whatever real estate they can.

We simply don't know enough to make any definitive statements on the subject. It may have been a mistake to put the message on the Voyager spacecraft. OTOH, our radio and TV signals have been going out into space since 1936 or so, and they travel at lightspeed, far faster than the spacecraft. So any ETs out there, friendly or hostile, is going to find out about us anyway. So the message can't do any harm if the ETs are hostile (the message can't make them more hostile) and may help if the ETs are friendly.
 lucaspa
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2009 8:18:03 PM
peaceful68: "More importantly, why do people presume that they don't exist?"

The Fermi Paradox. http://www.fermisparadox.com/ By the calculations there is a high probability of the existence of ET interstellar civiliations but we have detected no sign of these. So, one solution to the Fermi Paradox is that ETs don't exist. If they did, then we would see signs of them or been visited (even by sublight vessels).

There are other possible answers to the Fermi Paradox: http://www.google.com/search?q=Fermi+Paradox&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&tbs=tl:1&tbo=1&ei=JL1SSp3DD86ptges382sCA&sa=X&oi=timeline_result&ct=title&resnum=11

But you don't need to go into any psychological reasons to account for people who don't think other sapient extraterrestrial species exist.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/6/2009 8:22:36 PM
Like one poster pointed out, if aliens have the technology for inter-stellar travel, where they themselves bounce around, there's nothing they'd want from us, besides people-watching.

Now, never say never. Maybe we're such a rare environment that they come by with their planet destroyed, and ours can house them just fine and they want to live here. We can't say that they have terraforming technology to set a planet to their needs, just because they can travel everywhere... but I would say it'd be a very unlikely situation.
 MtLoopHiker
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/6/2009 9:29:31 PM
lucaspa brings up a good point that I had originally included in my post, but then edited it out for clarity. In response to my point, "ANY race technologically advanced enough to have interplanetary space travel is *not* gonna require or want *anything* that we have, " he notes:

Not necessarily true. They may require our real estate. Whether extraterrestrial sapient species are friendly or not depnds on a lot of things we don't know:
1. Their biology.
2. Their evolutionary history.
3. Their society.
4. The number of inhabitable planets available.

The thing missing from the argument is that from an engineering standpoint, interstellar travel is orders of magnitude more difficult than other methods that would completely address any problem a space faring species could conceivably have. Terraforming is easier. Transmutation of elements is easier. Hell, even Dyson Spheres and Niven Rings are easier and safer to build. The "inhabitable planets" argument is a particular red herring: why bother searching for one when you can build one from scratch out of your nearest neighbor in your own system?
 2hi-iq-4u
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/6/2009 9:45:38 PM

What if some aliens showed up?

What if they are already here? What if they exist in a much smaller geometric area, and they are so small that you can't see them with the naked eye? What if they are so small that they can hop on a house fly and ride it around the house like it was an aircraft? Are you sure they aren't? Have you ever looked at a house fly close enough to see if anybody was "driving?"

Space travel at human size requires an enormous expenditure of energy. Science has not detected the presence of "radio intelligence." Space travel would likely emit radio noise from the power source, and we would be probably able to detect the movements via our radio telescope observatories. I don't think it is happening at "human size" if it is happening at all. If they arrive, they will be looking for a place to live because their own planet became endanged as ours is. Too bad I am not wealthy enough to jump off myself, or I probably would.
 ConorMcD
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/6/2009 11:28:03 PM
the way i think we will find out real aliens is some micro insect found on some other planet. still an ailen!
 chrono1985
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/7/2009 12:45:28 AM
I have personally met an alien, ghost, and sea monster that weren't friendly at all!

An alien, a ghost, and a sea monster walk into a bar; the bartender says "hey you don't exist"; the sea monster says "gurgle gurgle", the ghost says ".....", the alien says "EXTERMINATE!".

---

The thing that bothers me isn't whether people think aliens are friendly or not, but the way people group all aliens together into one classification of it. Would you group every animal on this planet into the same classification? Imagine that some guy meets a kitten and says "animals are friendly" and then five minutes later becomes lunch for a tiger. Or the reverse he meets a tiger and says "animals are predatory" and then burns down their habitat which consisted mostly of friendly animals trying to escape the predators.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/7/2009 7:22:28 AM
Because we've never actually met one. But then again, we aren't particularly nice when it boils down to it so why should we expect another alien species to be.
 2hi-iq-4u
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/7/2009 9:01:31 AM
This makes the probabability of two intelligent species existing in the universe AT THE SAME TIME vastly smaller than the probability of them existing at the same time.

Not unless you assume that "intelligent species" are incapable of pondering the universe and providing for their survival in the event of astronomical catastrophe. In other words, it would be considerably difficult to determine that one intelligent species exists in the universe from my current perspective.

Don't worry, be happy . Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow we will die.

Some say that humans are smarter than animals because we are able to contemplate our own death. I say we are even capable of viewing an event such as Shoemaker Levy, but not intelligent enough to prepare for the same thing happening here. We argue too much about the first to have any time lefrt for the second.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/7/2009 9:14:21 AM

If there are any intelligent aliens out there, they cannot cross interstellar distance any more than we can. The impossibility of exceeding the speed of light is a fundamental part of the structure of the universe itself, not something that can be overcome by technology.

Science only talks in probabilities, not definitives. This statement is probably true, barring a significant discovery that fundamentally changes our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. And that's the tricky part. After all, the fact that quantum physics and relativity appear to coexist and yet are mutually exclusive is indication that we are missing a significant overlying factor that unites the two.

At present, the hope is on M-theory (or string theory) but that, by no means, is a done deal. However, if there is going to be any way that is found to "beat" Special Relativity, it's going to be through technology.

Personally, I'd rather see science try than just declare it an "impossibility" and throw their hands up in the air. After all, where's the fun in that?
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Why do most people think aliens are friendly?