Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Women's Favorite/Least Favorite Conversation Topics      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 centerfield51
Msg: 1
Women's Favorite/Least Favorite Conversation Topics Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Who else finds these just a little bit depressing? I do. I think it is sad (and maybe hypocritical) that women don't seem to have any real intellectual interests. I don't expect politics to be high on the list, but absolute least favorite? Jeez. And I think we all know that "hopes and aspirations" is code for the man's income.

Women’s Top Ten Favorite Conversation Topics
1. Hopes and aspirations
2. Hobbies/interests in general
3. Music
4. Dreams
5. Romance
6. Friends
7. Travel
8. Vacations
9. Movies
10. Entertainment

Women’s Top Ten Least Favorite Conversation Topics
1. Politics
2. Other dates
3. Past relationships
4. Science fiction
5. Religion
6. Celebrities
7. Science
8. Antiques
9. Money
10. History
 Commonsens
Msg: 2
Women's Favorite/Least Favorite Conversation Topics
Posted: 7/8/2009 10:15:27 AM
since you presented it, you made it our own:

wow..i do not know in what crowd you evolute, OP to have such results and perspective on women within your crowd...but time for you to change of crowd big time! (and get a t-shirt too?)
 OutMind
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/8/2009 11:15:41 AM
Men’s Top Ten Favorite Conversation Topics

Sports
Who sucks at our favorite sport
Who is good in our favorite sport
What are the odds on our favorite team to win, lose
Can I bet on it?

Sex
(men don't usually talk about sex. We just think about it all the time.)

So is back to sports.
Posted: 7/8/2009 11:21:10 AM
Actually, usually these lists are pre-fab based on what creators THINK women should be like. It's usually set up so you need to place them in 'order of importance' to you but you don't have any other options.
 chameleonf
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/8/2009 11:59:37 AM
Let me guess, the OP's lists were found on the back of some cereal box...right?
 radikal1
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/8/2009 1:19:50 PM
BS. The one woman I'm closest with became my friend after we discussed (argued ) religion. Been friends for a year. Maybe one day we'll be more but we're both searching to find ourselves after being in various questionable and oppressive circumstances. Our lives may be going in different directions.

As for politics. You're talking to a conservative democrat. Get me in the room with the right woman we can go for hours and I bet I get the digits. Easy. The topics listed are topics your fluff women don't want to talk about. Hit up the educated and creative crowd and watch this change dynamically. And for you geeks out there ALL of my women friends love horror and sci-fi/fantasy. The younger women are into it. (Actually my oldest female friend loves zombies and monster. LOL)

-Nate
 ColonelIngus
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2009 1:49:08 PM

I want to know WHO created that list...

The people around here who eavesdrop on all the email going back and forth.

If a guy's email to a woman gets Read/Deleted, for example,then all the keywords in that email get tallied up for Women's Least Favorite Conversation Topics. And so on.
 aliveone1
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2009 2:09:32 PM
Some of my favorite things to talk about are politics and religion. I bet if I looked those would also be under the list given to the women on this site of things not to talk to a man about. Traditionally, they are supposed to be kind of a forbidden topic in public situations because they can sometimes cause a lot of tension in the discussion. I think it is really important to just get all of that out on the table early on though. I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time dating someone whose values were too extrememly different from my own that a long lasting relationship would be impossible.

What can't I stand? Hearing about all the ex's!!! Save it for your therapist!! On a first date even?! Please guys, don't date again until those other girls are a little further from your mind!! BORING and SELFISH!! That's hardly a way to make a girl feel special is by talking about all the ones that got away! ...And it doesn't say much about your prowess in long term relationships either! I can't figure out why on earth anyone would think that a date would want to hear all the gory details of past relationships!

Oh, and the next time someone asks me what my favorite position is, I am going to throw my computer across the room!
 Vannili
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2009 5:37:25 PM
My favorite topic is books ,philosophy, travels,music,dance. But when it comes to dating/parties I just ride to whatever topic is rolling on, I read a lot on currents events,football games,computer ( my least enterest) so I am on the ball when it comes to conversation..

The truth is I lead a guy to open up on his favorite topic, and I listen attentively to him and he thinks I am a good conversationalist LOL......

no_excuses_please
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/8/2009 5:51:30 PM
Ummm...their OWN faults?
 ColonelIngus
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2009 6:38:42 PM

I am curious about what men talk to about to other men....I mean my friends and I talk about MEN a lot.

Guys, you talk about us, right?

Uhm, don't pull a muscle there patting yourself on the back, Your Preciousness.

I'm sorry to have to break it to you but in general us guys do not talk about you gals. It's yet another fundamental differences between the sexes. I mean, unless she's causing big trouble; and even then nobody wants to hear about it for very long unless they're the bestest of friends. Or maybe unless she has some distinguishing and unmissable physical attribute, but then it's just a passing comment.
 Vannili
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2009 6:59:18 PM
Sex is like religion you don't discuss it ,you do it. Vannili
 chameleonf
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/9/2009 10:46:59 AM

@chameleonf:

These lists are found beneath the text field on the POF email page....

Girl, how on earth have you been able to get by on POF dates without the "lists" that tell you what men want to talk about?!

Fortunately (or unfortunately), I have a mind of my own. If these were actual rules, I'd just have to break 'em...cuz that's how I roll.
 centerfield51
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/10/2009 9:24:15 AM
[quote=spicynicegirl]
Well OP I can see you like to generalise.........................WTF???

Not all women are going to choose those things as their top 10 favourite subjects..................seriously how dumb are you if you really believe that?

Gosh, you're right! I am seriously so dumb to believe all women have the same exact top ten favorite conversation topics. I hang my head in shame...I am troubled...I should have known better. Wait, no that's not me. I feel no shame, am untroubled, and I DO know better.

spicynicegirl, maybe you shouldn't take the list so personally. Generalizations give a good indication of the state of society overall. That is all we are talking about.
 canoga77
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/19/2009 2:00:18 AM
I couldn't understand why a thread I posted about this in Ask A Girl was erased. I guess someone beat me to this topic.

As I mentioned previously, I can understand somewhat why science is in this list, as science is traditionally a male-dominated field.

Sci-fi: Maybe it has something to do with women being turned off by science and the fact that serious sci-fi deals with abstract and nebulous issues.

History: I don't understand this. I've always been fascinated by history in general. There is so much to learn about our past and so much history can teach us about the present. It's more than memorizing dates of battles; it's learning about personalities.

If you're going to watch historical romance films like Cleopatra, Braveheart, the English Patient, or Captain Corrielli's Mandolin, it helps to have at least a basic understanding of the periods these movies took place in. Otherwise how can the story be put into context?

I don't understand why antiques are in this list. I used to work at an antique shop, and most of the customers there were women.

I agree with the OP. It's depressing that so many of these subjects are so unpopular with women. It makes it so much more difficult to have meaningful conversations.
 jadegreen
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2009 7:24:51 AM
Well, this is a "Loaded" Forum Thread no doubt and I don't have much to contribute except that I am actually out of the norm, because I find those topics "boring" to be honest...Believe it or not I'd be more prone to discuss Religion or Politics than to discuss Hopes and Aspirations when I first meet someone...that's too mushy for me until I know someone really well...I'm sure you guys that have all the ladies "Generalized" won't believe that, but I don't really care because my actions speak louder than my words and I don't gotta prove myself to anyone... I've read the posts by men here that "Generalize" women to all be the same...I have a high or at least above average IQ that allows me to be able to identify a persons unique characteristics, but unfortunately alot of people don't and are not able to do that therefore they Generalize alot...and that is okay...

And by the way Hopes and Aspirations is secret code for finding out if your looking for relationship or not for some ladies not just for finding out your career ambitions...
 big pacific
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2009 7:46:44 AM
Thats perhaps the stupidist list i've ever seen. You don't even offer any annecdotal evidence to suggest this.

If you're gonna generalize, it usually helps that the generalizations are widely accepted. (ex. women not liking antiques? hell i've found the opposite.)
 CoolOldBroad
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2009 8:12:02 AM
OP, yeah, really current list -- maybe in sixth grade........
 ItsMargo
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2009 10:26:33 PM
How does one talk about romance, I wonder? It seems to be it would be something one does, rather than something one talks about.
 Motherofthebride
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2009 8:31:18 PM
I had to view your profile to find out if you were male or female, ends up you're a boy, silly boy, this statement,"women don't seem to have any real intellectual interests. "
proves it.

First: women and men are different. Learn it now

Second: women and girls are different, women with intellectual interest are not interested in boys...but girls are.

Finally, men and boys are different; someday perhaps you will experience both!

Start there
 marisia
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/14/2010 8:37:42 AM
Outmind, I love your replies...so truthful and satirical...
 arwen52
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2010 6:14:11 PM

Who else finds these just a little bit depressing? I do.

That's because you took it seriously. I don't. It certainly doesn't reflect my own interests.

I think it is sad (and maybe hypocritical) that women don't seem to have any real intellectual interests.

Hon, where have you been? If you believe that, you've been living under a rock or hanging out with the wrong women.

Look, I went out on a date with a guy and he sat there and talked about his hair, and then his lawn, and then his houseplants, and then about a job interview coming up for a managerial position with Janitrol. Now there's a man with no real intellectual interests.

I don't expect politics to be high on the list, but absolute least favorite? Jeez.

Well, it's high on mine and lots of other women's lists. You must be terribly inexperienced to believe this.

And I think we all know that "hopes and aspirations" is code for the man's income."

Maybe for some people. You've either got a very bad attitude about women or you've been hanging out with the wrong people. Or you're incredibly naive for believing such a list.

My own reactions:

1. Hopes and aspirations ---- somewhat
2. Hobbies/interests in general --- yeah
3. Music --- yeah
4. Dreams ---- as in the dream I had last night? Yeah. As in #1 - isn't that redundant?
5. Romance ----- only with my girlfriends
6. Friends ----- well, yeah
7. Travel ---- yeah, I've been some interesting places i.e. over a dozen countries and all over the U.S.
8. Vacations ---- see #7
9. Movies ---- yeah, good ones
10. Entertainment ---- See #3 & #9. Add plays. Forget about TV and I don't give a hoot what celebrities do with their lives.

^^^^^ Can't see any problem with that. Travel, music, some movies, theater, can all be very intellectual.

1. Politics ---- Should have a high place on my top 10
2. Other dates ------ nope
3. Past relationships ----- nope
4. Science fiction ------ Yep
5. Religion ----- Depends
6. Celebrities ------- Forget it
7. Science ----- Should be on my top 10
8. Antiques ----- not interested
9. Money ----- don't care for talking about it much
10. History ----- Depends, but it can be a lot of fun

So, for me the list is wrong. And you seem to think the arts are not "intellectual" and that money, celebrities, other dates, past relationships, and antiques are? You're way off course, dear.

One of my problems in dating is that the majority of men I meet are *not* very intellectual. They're conventional and mundane, don't read, don't think much, don't have much to talk about, and lack critical thinking skills.

Hope this has been a learning experience for you. If not, good luck cuz you're gonna need it.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/14/2010 8:00:20 PM
1. Hopes and aspirations: GAG
2. Hobbies/interests in general: GAG
3. Music: What is there to say beyond I like Mozart?
4. Dreams: Sleep dreams or dreams of the future? Erotic fantasies?
5. Romance:GAG
6. Friends: ????
7. Travel: How so?
8. Vacations:Boring
9. Movies: GAG
10. Entertainment:As in?

1. Politics: GAG--circular discussion
2. Other dates: No?
3. Past relationships: I doubt this
4. Science fiction: Heinlein? Clarke?
5. Religion: I LOVE to discuss the futility of religion
6. Celebrities:GAG
7. Science: Dinosaurs and space are science, right?
8. Antiques: Who says?
9. Money: Why not?
10. History: I know more about Egypt, Sumeria, and British history than most

Women don't have any intellectual interests???

So all the guys whom I have seen who want to talk about NASCAR are REAL intellectuals?

How do "Other Dates," "Past Relationships," "Celebrities," "Antiques," and "Money" fit into intellectuality? Many academics do not accept science fiction as "classic" or "worthy" literature.

I know this thread is old, but apparently, it was started by another misogynistic man seeking to make women look stupid and ignorant.

Edit: I notice the OP is 25--he hasn't talked to many WOMEN, just girls.
 arwen52
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2010 3:37:13 PM
One of my problems in dating is that the majority of men I meet are *not* very intellectual. They're conventional and mundane, don't read, don't think much, don't have much to talk about, and lack critical thinking skills.

Hope this has been a learning experience for you. If not, good luck cuz you're gonna need it.

Well where are you finding your men at? in a nursing home?

I am just curious as a woman of the age enhanced variety does it really seem to you that "Dont think much" and "don't have much to talk about" fit in the same type of male?

I am just 38 years old but i think all the time. I reason just about everything. But i often do not have much to say. I am not much of a talker.

Nursing homes? Hardly. Around. POF. Dances. Different places. They find me. A lot of people seem to quite exercising both their bodies and their brains after 40. The younger folks I hang around are a lot more interesting. They are still curious, still learning, still open.

This is why I tend to gravitate towards scientists. They are a lot more interesting than average. The most interesting relationships I've been in have mostly been with scientists.

What is the point of being an intellectual? Why read the words of someone else and then talk about those words that were read?

Some people like to talk about ideas. I do. And it isn't the only thing. Science has always been a favorite subject.

I hate to bust your bubble, but your grandmother was wrong. We are not given a limited number of words to use. As for you not being particularly verbal - that's fine. Not everyone is. My exBF is an introvert who, in social situations, was pretty quiet. However, over dinner, with just the two of us, he was quite conversational. We talked about science, politics, current events, birds, literature, art, music, food, movies, . . . in ten years, we never ran out of things to talk about. I had a fling with another scientist who was one of the most fascinating people I've known. We talked about history, language, culture, the environment, relationships, sex. Those are the kinds of guys I like.

Most guys I meet, though . . . they just aren't very interesting. To each their own. It's not better or worse, just different, our different interests and preferences. But OP asserted that women had no intellectual interests. That will be true for some women, just as it is true of some men, but as a blanket statement, it's patently false.

Just because you don't understand it, don't knock it. I don't understand some people's interest in football or golf or celebrities but who cares? It's their interest. They're entitled to it. Just don't expect me to be interested. And I won't expect you to be interested in ideas or literature.

Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 26
Posted: 12/15/2010 5:39:57 PM

Just my opinions

And everyone is entitled to an opinion--even if it is wrong and based on fallacies and misconceptions, and stereotypes.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Women's Favorite/Least Favorite Conversation Topics