Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Superiority.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Cargy.
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Superiority.Page 1 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
There's no question in my mind that there are , for want of a better word, superior people. But it's not in terms of their status, wealth, or authority.

It's about their actions in life, their personal standards of honesty, decency and respect, and how they treat others as they travel through life.
 badge73
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Superiority.
Posted: 7/9/2009 4:53:10 AM
Yes i do belive certain people are better. But cannot be measured in wealth, but morals and the will to help others. You only have to go round many an estate pubs to see this action. Theres been many a single mother whose brought up there kid with manners and educated them well, but gets called arrogant or a snob because of it.
 pantsonfire
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Superiority.
Posted: 7/9/2009 6:01:42 AM
I believe that perceptions of superiority are purely subjective...

It depends on one's own values as to what whom one would deem to be a superior to oneself...
Or inferior for that matter...

Those who believe themselves to be superior to others are often nothing more than self justifying nobodies... A poster comments that they believe those who accuse others of superiority are merely showing themselves to have feelings of inferiority. In actuality that is probably less likely to be the case than in those who are the professors of superiority, to have to bump oneself up in front of practical strangers by listing ones successes in direct comparison to anothers assumed failings, smacks of a desperate need to be worshipped and adored... For the 'inferior' combatant to give up the fight, tug his forelock and kowtow to an obviously superior foe...

Superiority is not pleasant.. A slice of humble pie does not go amiss occasionally...
 pantsonfire
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Superiority.
Posted: 7/9/2009 6:24:59 AM

May I ask why?
It reminds me of that old bible saying 'the meek will inherit the earth'

No they bloody won't. But hey, if believing this keeps them smiling while they're being downtrodden I'm all for it.

There is a huge difference between being modest and being meek...

Modesty is a very attractive trait.. No one is interested in past successes, current achievements, whatsoever.. Unless you are discussing something whereby your 'superior' achievements will have a direct and immediate positive effect, then don't bother... You'd have me yawning into my first course soup.. I personally couldn't give a flying fruit-bat if someone runs a multi million pound corporation or cleans the bloody toilets at the same place, so long as they are doing the best they possibly can... The toilet cleaner might be doing a damned site better job of his duties than his company director... Sparkling bogs for a company who's books are filled with streamers of red figures...

There are many people on this forum with a far superior intellect than mine, fortunately they have no need to keep shoving this fact down my throat and let their posts be their proof... They are the ones I hold in high esteem, not those who brag constantly...

As an aside.. You enjoy keeping the meek downtrodden?
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Superiority.
Posted: 7/9/2009 4:53:59 PM
One person can only be superior to another if the first person allows/believes that to be the situation.

Yes there are 'pecking orders' but they can vary depending on the situation. Being superior at work does not necessarily mean you are superior at home/relationship.

And how many feelings of superiority are illusions.

We are all equal, it just depends on how we choose to portray ouselves. Am I any better than someone who has no work, no - am just luckier that i have a job.

Is someone on 40k a year better than me -possibly financially but it doesn't make them better than me necessarily

I do agree however that there is a pecking order, just the same as there is in the 'animal kingdom', difference in our society is that unlike the 'animal world' anyone can change their position without fighting and casting out.
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Superiority.
Posted: 7/9/2009 5:19:05 PM
Thats the whole thing tho Josh, WE allow assumed pecking orders to take place socially. I guess every single one of us is guilty in one respect or another.

I have a job, it's a job thats all, I don't rent, big deal, I have a car, who cares - only the people who feel they 'need' those things to 'compete' with me - when the truth is, I don't want to compete with anyone, I am just me. I don't care who has better or more than me. Take all the trappings away and underneath we are all the same and it is down to a different set of rules, and social does not matter - its down to animal instinct and the strongest physically and mentally will be highest in the pecking order

If that makes any sense
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Superiority.
Posted: 7/9/2009 5:33:37 PM
Alex, I think maybe you are being specific, but people in general can only over-inflate their feelings of self- worth to themselves unless they can convince other people they are correct.

Is a technically qualified person more important than a binman - well I know who I would rather have visiting every other week (I mean workwise lol)

Something I learned in the RAF is that there is no such thing as an insignificant cog in the big wheel.

So what if some people want to think they are better than others, it's only when others see them as better that it matters.
 ibakecakes
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Superiority.
Posted: 7/10/2009 6:36:19 AM

Could I have the last word on this thread please?

No

Can people please use copy and paste a bit more please............lol
 restless_native
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Superiority.
Posted: 7/10/2009 6:55:05 AM

Is the idea that we are all equall a myth that those lower down the pecking order choose to beleive to assuage their own feelings of inadequacy?

According to many psychologists it's the people with the most insecurities who will overcompensate in an attempt to prove that they aren't actually inadequate.

They can prattle on endlessly without actually saying anything in an attempt to bolster their own image in the eyes of others.

It doesn't work as people like that generally just get on others t1ts though unfortunately.
 ibakecakes
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Superiority.
Posted: 7/10/2009 7:02:54 AM
Mine is soooooooooooo bigger than yours..........

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT
 Cargy.
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Superiority.
Posted: 7/10/2009 7:55:39 AM
I think the topic is getting lost

No, no... the topic's about superiority. It says so in the title.

(Sorry, couldn't resist it! [coat] [door] [/door] )
 Cargy.
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Superiority.
Posted: 7/10/2009 8:09:32 AM

but what about the wealthy ants

and the poor lazy elephant?

who was superior?

I think it was decided it was irrelev...ant!
 ibakecakes
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Superiority.
Posted: 7/10/2009 11:24:14 AM
What terribly spiffing weather we're having for this time of year hey chaps.

blah blah blah blah

My word, that;s an enormous snake you have round your neck mart-b

Hi Alex, long time no see

Vi, I may phone you later

Balkistu....is there much call for homes on the moon?

Jats, you will never win while i have breath....

Jo van..........i lied the bed picture better

Is anyone else bored by this yet??????????????????????????????????????
 ibakecakes
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Superiority.
Posted: 7/10/2009 12:01:15 PM
OMG does that make u a superior being cos I missed out a k ..

My life has ended.............I am no longer a superior being

But the other picture was better................

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV heheheheh very funny!!
 ibakecakes
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Superiority.
Posted: 7/10/2009 12:48:10 PM
Oooooooooooooooooooooo what colour does it come in? Is it nice and shiny? Does it have a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG interior mirror so I can put me lippy on? Do the seats recline??
 ibakecakes
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Superiority.
Posted: 7/10/2009 1:55:56 PM
Yup, that is one of the most sensible posts on this thread. It isnt about what you have/own etc, it's all about life experiences that make you the person you are...........I don't have a lot but I make sure that my children know everyday how much they are loved and how, as long as they try their hardest at everything, they will always be the best in my eyes.
And their mum? Well, I've driven more cars than probably most of you - having been one of the top percent of police drivers in the UK. I've been shot at, I've had various bones in my body broken, I've brought 2 people back to life - one of whom then punched me in the face!! I've stared hatred in the face during the Polltax riots. I could probably disarm most of you on here despite you being taller/stronger etc than me.
Does that make me better than any of you? Nope, but it certainly doesn't make me any the less of a force to be reckoned with. Never assume that anyone is anything less than your equal, you may be surprised......
 pantsonfire
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Superiority.
Posted: 7/12/2009 2:25:54 AM

I've almost given up the will to live after reading this thread.

And yet you struggled on to the end!

I would not have. If I feel something is silly, I give it a wide berth.

Oh the irony....
 ibakecakes
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Superiority.
Posted: 7/12/2009 4:02:42 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NO MORE, PLEASE.................................

SJ - you are so right. Girls are better than boys.............hehe
 ibakecakes
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Superiority.
Posted: 7/12/2009 4:54:21 AM
Girls rule, boys drool......................as me 8yr old would say
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Superiority.