Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > If you could do it all over again...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 1
view profile
History
If you could do it all over again...Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
...what would you be when you grow up?

Some of us have retired, some of us are near retirement age, some of us have a few years to work before retirement and some of us will never be able to retire.

Whatever career you chose to work at through your years of employment, were you happy with the choice that you made perhaps many years ago? Did you have more than one career path? If you could do it all again, would you choose another career path? Perhaps unlike some other threads in this forum, there is no right or wrong answer but let's discuss our thoughts and dreams on this topic.

I will start by saying that although I spent the majority of my working life in the law firm environment, I think if I could do it all over again I would like to study criminology and perhaps work with the police department in a forensic setting. Another path I perhaps would consider might be to work in mediation.
 Charli15695
Msg: 2
view profile
History
If you could do it all over again...
Posted: 7/10/2009 5:03:55 PM
I like what I'm doing now - so my career I wouldn't change. As for my personal life - lots there that I would change, perhaps I wouldn't be my age now, hopelessly searching thru the choices on dating sites such as pof.
 SueCat51
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2009 5:10:59 PM
OP - I'd be a Travel Writer and Globe Trotter! Actually, I'm working on that now. It's going more slower than I'd like since I parted with some dough to do home improvements.
 DivineBovine
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2009 5:14:11 PM
i wanted to be a veterinarian... but i bolted from the classroom during biology when we were dissecting rats.

so there went THAT one!

i tried VERY hard to make my dream of being a professional singer come true, but i honestly wasn't good enough.

at least i tried - so many people never get a chance.

when Sir Edmund Hillary died last year, i read a quote of his that struck a chord with me:

“I am a lucky man. I have had a dream and it has come true, and that is not a thing that happens often to men.”

some days i wish i could still make my dreams come true...
 moraima
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2009 5:19:32 PM
I am quite happy how my life turned out. If I tried to change things, who knows, it might not have been so good.
 NumberFifty
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/10/2009 5:20:53 PM
^^

Great quote, DB!

Another one to consider on this topic, by Teddy Roosevelt...

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though
checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor
suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

irishlassieangel
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/10/2009 5:33:57 PM
I worked in offices all my life, starting at the ripe age of 16. About 20 some years ago I wanted to get into Massage Therapy. First it was no time, no money, so said husband #1. Then it was too far away, no money, so said husband #2.
Well now that I am getting on without a husband I have found a school within walking distance to my house and they are offering scholarships, grants and loans.
So, I guess I am getting what I would have liked to do. Late in life yes, but I still get to have my dream come true.
 ForumFilly
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/10/2009 5:59:09 PM
I was a respiratory therapist for 30 years and I loved it. I do wish I had gotten my R.N. though. Much better pay and better job opportunities.
 GingersnapWa
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/10/2009 6:04:21 PM
I would have went to journalism school and become a news correspondent, instead of listening what the powers-that-were told me was do-able at the time...
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2009 6:17:44 PM

I would have went to journalism school and become a news correspondent, instead of listening what the powers-that-were told me was do-able at the time...

I wonder how many of us, especially females, chose or somehow fell into a career that was somewhat "expected of us at the time" solely in an effort to support either ourselves or our burgeoning families. Even though quite a few of us were coming of age in the times when the perceptions a person's career choice was going through drastic changes in what we could strive for, (especially those of women) some of us found ourselves in stereotypical occupations. If only we had the knowledge then the knowledge we have now how different our lives might be now!
 BeTwixxt
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/10/2009 6:20:01 PM
If I could do things all over again, I would have went into the medical field. They say it's never too late though, so I may go back to school for nursing eventually.
 BeTwixxt
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/10/2009 6:25:42 PM

I wonder how many of us, especially females, chose or somehow fell into a career that was somewhat "expected of us at the time" solely in an effort to support either ourselves or our burgeoning families.

I know I did. My family began "unexpectedly" at the time, and I put my career goals on the back burner, always telling myself that I would pick up where I left off in due time. 19 years and 5 children later I found myself a single parent working whatever jobs I could to make ends meet. After several years of that, and things finally getting more stable in my life, my mind drifts to wanting more quite often now.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2009 6:28:07 PM
Well, I pretty much did it my way, and I pretty much love the way it's turned out, so I'm not gonna second-guess either the Universe or my child-self, lol! I *would* point out to any upcomers that an English degree or two is worth about a bucket of warm piss. But the work arounds cab be very interesting. . . .

*Starstuff*
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/10/2009 6:43:03 PM
When I come back for my next life, I want to be an archaeologist, or an astronaut, or an ocean zoologist, or .... so many choices!

No, I would not choose to do this life over again, but I don't think that was where the OP was going with this question. When I was growing up, it was always implied that I would be a teacher, nurse, or secretary in addition to married and a mother. I was "brainwashed" from a very early age. I had no idea there WERE other choices for women. I believe this was because my parents were older and stuck in their beliefs of what were man jobs and what were woman job. It's all they knew. That's fine. My life has been good and I wouldn't change it.
 zangie
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2009 6:45:24 PM
I fell into retail when I was young..it's what my father did, and I really admired him. I went to college originally to be a journalist ( specifically I had this romantic idea of a foreign correspondent?..lol)..I discovered that while I had a little bit of creative writing talent...I sucked at writing news...so, not knowing what I wanted to do...I left school and fell into the retail thing, and later got my business degree...I work as an operations manager and a bookkeeper for a law firm...I like my job...but,

I have an unfinished History degree, which is my true love...life kinda intervened from my original goal of a PhD in History, and to teach at the college level...I still think about going back and doing it anyway, even though I doubt I'd use it practically...just to have the knowledge ( I am one of those that love school and could go forever if I had the time and money)..

I also think I would love working for the FBI in the behavioral science unit doing criminal profiling...specifically serial killers...a fascination of mine...
 amethyst10616
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/10/2009 6:52:07 PM
I got my first degree in Accounting, did that for twenty years and I did love it. I went back to school at 41 when I needed and wanted a changed to become a teacher. I love it and genuinely look forward to going to work each day.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2009 6:52:30 PM
Ooops, double post.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2009 6:53:57 PM

No, I would not choose to do this life over again, but I don't think that was where the OP was going with this question.

*starstuff*, I wasn't going anywhere with this question. It was just a question posed with no right and no wrong answer. It was meant to be lighthearted and perhaps to set some people thinking that maybe, just maybe, it's not too late to embark on something that might otherwise have been thought not possible. After all, anything is possible if you want it to be possible. This thread may prompt someone to realize a long lost dream or it may mean that someone sits back and thinks "if only" or thinks "yes, I'm happy with what I chose". It's not meant to be a heavy yes or no thread but rather a self-reflection thread.
 clearlykat
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2009 6:54:47 PM
I did go into one of those "traditionally" male occupations (at least at the time, second women ever hired in a sales position in a national company) and don't regret it at all. I credit my father for never credit my father for never doubting my ability to do whatever I chose to do, kind of a rarity back in the day. I have had a great career, although like most of you have been through a lot of changes. I think I would have enjoyed life in academia though, on the college level. Still I don't regret a thing, learned a lot, got to travel a lot, it has been good. The trick now is to figure out how to keep it up till at least 65. I do envy those that still have a traditional pension, the 401K sure isn't what it used to be.
 Lil Brooker
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2009 7:42:37 PM
I've had some rough times, but ultimately, no regrets. Out of a bad marriage I've got two beautiful gifts of daughters. I've got a degree in Fine Arts but never became that famous painter. Instead I operate a greenhouse and find intense creative pleasure. I grew up in a city but now live deep in the woods. Life has unfolded and it has been interesting. I wouldn't change much in my journey.
 hereIgoagain2009
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/10/2009 7:48:48 PM
If I could do it all over again......I'd be rich next time.
 the SoldierByte
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/10/2009 8:10:59 PM
If I could "do it all over again"
I'd go for "money and power"...
rather then..
"excitement and adventure"..
---SoldierByte---
 kayleegirl
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/10/2009 9:01:50 PM
if i could do it all over again,
i would put finalizing my career path before marriage and children. who would have thought i could use more education at this point in my life.
undergrad in psychology, always wanted to counsel, planning on taking a certification program in alcohol and drug counseling this fall. think it will complement my years of working experience. many years from retirement but that is okay if i finally get to do what i have always wished i was doing.
kaylee
 Miss W
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/10/2009 9:06:40 PM
I would definitely be better educated, travelled, more fearless and adventurous. However, I have no regrets so far for not having been married, having children and divorced. I do know some very happy people who have done so, but more who are unhappy ...

Editing to say that I've noticed a lot of people in this thread who have said that they should have put off marriage and children. I've had several people confide this same information to me confidentially over the years.
 andserendipity
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2009 11:30:38 PM
i would have waited longer to get married and have children-- as long as i had the same children!-- but if we are talking about a do-over, i'd prefer a different husband this time, LOL...

i would have liked to become a psychiatrist; definitely too late for that...

i feel quite lucky in some ways-- i had a revelation and told my parents when i was twelve that i was going to be a writer. this did not go over well. but i did it anyway...also editing. had a wonderful mentor in my twenties to whom i'll always be grateful.

at this point, more time and more discipline for writing. maybe go back to school for an MFA....or go on lots of retreats if it can be managed (combining travel with work, and you meet neat people at those kinds of things).

OP, great thread-- it's nice to dream a little...
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > If you could do it all over again...