Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Social Networking (Past, Present, and Future)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 motivate
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Social Networking (Past, Present, and Future)Page 1 of 1    
I've been thinking about all the people whom I felt I would never even hear from again in my life who are popping up via the social networking sites (Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, et al) .

I got to thinking, my mother, who isn't at all involved with social networking at all, is probably never is going to catch up with people with whom she attended grammar school. She has about a 0-5% chance of reconnecting with people. I am around 30 - 60% chance of reconnecting. I look at my young neices and nephews who are in kindergarten and think, the friends they have now through high school, they'll never lose contact with (unless they choose too), maintaining perhaps 95 - 100% of relationships.

This thought is highlighted by the notion that when people move away from their small home towns, never or rarely to return, there is even greater opportunity to maintain connections that otherwise would be lost.

Just curious as to what people think the future will be in this regard. Do you think that this current generation will be a closer nit group of individuals that the millenia of people that preceded them? Do you think this will have a dynamic affect on society as a whole?
 scorpiomover
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Social Networking (Past, Present, and Future)
Posted: 7/12/2009 3:14:03 AM

Just curious as to what people think the future will be in this regard. Do you think that this current generation will be a closer nit group of individuals that the millenia of people that preceded them? Do you think this will have a dynamic affect on society as a whole?
What I've noticed, is that now, a lot of people have friends all over the world, that they've never met, will never meet, and have no intention of meeting either.

Social networking via the internet, has given a lot of people a false sense of security, that they have all these friends to call on, when they want. But it's not until you want to get hold of those friends, right now, and they are all off doing other things, and aren't constantly checking their facebook pages, and so don't even know that you are in trouble and need some help, that you realise that it's a virtual security blanket. It doesn't entirely replace the real thing.
 yna6
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/12/2009 8:50:01 AM
Have to agree...social networking certainly doesn't replace real friendships in real life.
It simply "seems" like it does, especially to the young. (Lokk at the twit who killed herself over her virtual BF who dumped her...) Anyways...it is a fun thing...but that is about the extent of it.
I figure the "virtual reality" world has no place in the real world...aas far as it does affect us. Example, a boss shouldn't be able to use your posted messages to fire you. "I think the boss is totally nuts and I hate my job." So what? Do you DO your job? Probably. Does it bring in the paycheque which is the REAL reason EVERYONE works? Yes. So since when does some corporation have the right to fire me because I make MY feelings known, but NOT at work...outside of it?
But...the laws seem to be going in a different direction. "Sexting" on the net can be grounds for divorce? Should have squelched that right form the start.
 membrane
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/12/2009 6:13:42 PM
yeah in this day in age we do seem to keep in closer contact like you mentioned, but these days its diffrent... its electronic... not personal, there is somthing completly diffrent with that... for exsample, i have time to figure out what im going to say when i type it, but speaking if more instaonataiously... and when im typing i dont get the full feel that im associating or convercing with another.. more or less, its like the words in my head, but people can read them and repley to them, where as if i where talking to some one direclty, i would feel them, thier emotions, thier ideas... their voice... you dont get that electronicly... even thought today we maintain relationships with past equantances, we dont really maintain social realation ships with them.. ince a sence, we are all more lonley now than ever before, for the simple fact that we choice to text rather than stop by... just an opnion
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Social Networking (Past, Present, and Future)