Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Comparing organic food vs. conventional food      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Entzauberung
Msg: 1
Comparing organic food vs. conventional foodPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Comparing organic food vs. conventional food

BTW what the heck is the proper name for food not grown by organic methods, "inorganic", "conventional"?

I don't normally shop for the organic foods, for normally they are considerably more expensive, but if they are on sale I'll consider buying them. So far the organic foods I've sampled is limited.

I've eaten organic strawberries and the difference between them and the regular strawberries available at the supermarket was incredible, comparable to hi-definition TV vs analog TV. There was so much more taste. I had to get another box before the sale was over.

I've eaten organic Gala apples, and yes, they tasted much better. Yummy!

I've eaten organic broccoli, organic blueberries and bananas was disappointed with each, and did not taste significant improvement over their conventional counterparts.

Based on my experience so far only the strawberries and Gala apples are worth the extra cost.

So I ask, if you have eaten both organic and conventional varieties of a certain type of food what differences you may have noticed and was the difference in price justified?
 emerald sea
Msg: 2
Posted: 7/12/2009 4:56:25 PM
Oh yes , organic strawberries taste like candy, I could never eat conventional ones after the organic .
I also eat organic baby carrots but had some conventional baby carrots at someone's house and didn't like them at all.

The Environmental Working Group website has a list of fruits and vegies with the most pesticide residues which they recommend buying organic.
 Entzauberung
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/12/2009 6:05:58 PM
Yes, I recognize my diet in the past will have long-term detriment to my health.

What I was (still am) hoping to get is comparison on the taste of the various organic foods available to us. It will be easier for me to justify the additional cost for those that taste significantly better

I also accept that perhaps those organic foods types that I've tried and found disappointing may in other samplings to be delicious.

I now keep my eyes open for sales on organic strawberries and Gala apples, and perhaps there are other foods I should consider.

I'll look for the baby carrots. Thx.
 pro-filer
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/12/2009 9:24:58 PM
For a long time, I didn't buy organic because of the expense and I don't think it makes a huge difference in terms of my overall health. But I was introduced to it kind of by accident a couple of months ago, and now I think it's worth the extra cost. I haven't noticed any difference in how long it stays fresh, either, which surprised me.
 rhodax
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/12/2009 9:50:42 PM
I've started to dabble in organic foods. As mentioned above, organic strawberries are far and away better tasting than conventional ones. They are much smaller and the plant puts it's energy into quality of the berry instead of quantity (size).

I started buying locally produced organic milk (at almost twice the price) and find it less watery and smoother than the regular milk.

If I could cook I'd probably buy a lot more organic products simply because they taste better.
 Doc_Sage
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/12/2009 9:58:08 PM
I grow my veggies organically because it is in the charter of our community garden. I can not say that it taste better being organic. This is because eating fresh picked from this morning as more to do with taste...in my situation. I do not doubt that organic is better for you (higher concentation of vitamins and other good stuff) but I can not afford the higher price.

If you eat more vegetables and fruits, eat less meat, little or no process foods your health will be better, organic or not.
 MediaNaranja
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/12/2009 10:30:18 PM
I believe in quality over quantity in all things.
Aside from the superior taste of the organic produce. I've noticed that in the long run they are a saving due to the fact that they are more nutritious and therefore more satisfying so I end up eating less. Less is more.
As my health improves there is less need for medication, etc.
I've learned long ago not to ever cut corners with my food. My health is my only and true wealth.
MN
 Phuqd
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/13/2009 12:33:37 AM
I am not a big fan of fruits and vegetables in general, but have been eating far more as part of a new healthy eating plan.

Having sampled quite a variety from big box grocery stores, as well as from local farmers markets, I would have to say you will notice far more of a flavour improvement in fruits vs vegetables.

I find that organic meats is a bit of a toss up. Chickens and eggs are far better organic than conventional, this is because the meat tends to be leaner as most organic chickens are free range. (store ready chickens can be grown in 6 weeks btw)
Beef on the other hand I find better when it has been injected with who knows what kind of steroids and hormones, for the opposite reason of chicken, which is that it tends to be fattier and juicier.
I am sure most would agree that both taste and texture is far better in wild fish than farmed fish.
And I don't eat pork, so I can't comment on that.

As has been mentioned, you certainly don't get the bang for your buck when buying organic, but the health related benefits are something to consider.

Organic fruits and veggies contain higher levels of anti-oxidents than conventional fruits and veggies, but do not contain higher levels of nutrition value. The higher cost is related to growing and harvesting methods, as well as unusable portions of crops due to defects, disease, etc...
Organic is pesticide and chemical free as well.

There are a lot of questions though about how organic the organic we really eat actually is though. The rules for what it takes to put organic on your foods labels are slack at best, and many companies exploit the loopholes to their advantage.
An example being that organic food can be grown in chemically fertilized soil. It allows the plants to grow bigger and faster, which in turns produces no crops, but without having chemicals sprayed on the fruits themselves.

Meat is another one that has many people wanting tighter rules and regulations.
You may eat a steak from a cow that has never been subjected to steroids, or growth hormones, but what about the grain and hay that the cow ate?

Obviously no matter what we do contamination down the food chain is inevitable, and organic branded products are definitely the healthier choice, but it makes you wonder what goes into the food we all eat everyday.
 emerald sea
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/13/2009 4:24:31 PM
^^^^^ I just saw the movie "Food Inc ", it gives you a good idea of what you are eating.
Apparently cows are mostly fed cheap corn nowadays, which they aren't meant to eat at all.
 Wallaboo
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2009 5:22:48 PM
Conventional food is in a lot of ways superior to unmodified food. With the world population going up to 40 billion in the next 50 years, it will be important to have higher crop yields, such that all people have SOMETHING TO EAT. I admit that there are flaws in food being controlled by mega-national-corporate interests. But using science to improve food is a good thing.

Now a metaphor (allegory?): Perhaps society and people should revert to horse powered locomotion because the technology of railroads is worse than horses.
 MediaNaranja
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/15/2009 2:21:58 PM
Having had the privilege of living in Cuba for a bit and tasting their produce (and meats) which are all grown on fertile and pristine soils devoid of chemicals of any kind, I can attest to the difference in taste and quality.
We (family) remember eating less and being more satisfied and calm. Yes, calm.
Our first 24 hours back in Canada were an eye opener as we ate "good" things that left us still hungry and with a strange feeling of overall anxiety or restlessness, that never went away.
Things to notice as well is that nothing fresh was imported into Cuba, therefore everything was grown locally, picked ripe, fresh and in season. No, mangoes are not available all year long. Neither are tomatoes, lettuce, etc. Very important if we want to harmonize with the cycles of nature.
It feels to me like there is too much in our food that doesn't belong there and not enough that should, since our soils are so depleted!

I wonder if the contamination in our soils can be reversed.
MN

PS: There is plenty, PLENTY! of available land to grow good quality food !!
 Whiskey Woman
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2009 11:59:14 PM
Carrots are the one veggie that really tastes different from conventional. Tomato the big winner in fruit. Any citrus too.
 Outdoor2
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2009 12:29:44 AM

Conventional food is in a lot of ways superior to unmodified food. With the world population going up to 40 billion in the next 50 years, it will be important to have higher crop yields, such that all people have SOMETHING TO EAT.

But if the food has lower nutritional content are we any farther ahead?

Results: Organic crops contained significantly more vitamin C, iron, magnesium, and phosphorus and significantly less nitrates than conventional crops. There were nonsignificant trends showing less protein but of a better quality and a higher content of nutritionally significant minerals with lower amounts of some heavy metals in organic crops compared to conventional ones.

Conclusions: There appear to be genuine differences in the nutrient content of organic and conventional crops.

http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs/10.1089/107555301750164244

One of the problems with higher yield crops is the amount of pesticides, herbicides and other disease control methods that kill the natural elements in the soil, leaving it useless for all except ones that require more chemicals. In essence...killing the earth to feed ourselves...how long will that last?

Yes, population is increasing, but how much food goes to waste? It's not so much as the amount of food required...moreso...who controls the supply.

Here's an interesting piece by H. Kissinger (and others) written in 1974 about how to curb population growth.
http://www.population-security.org/28-APP2.html

I started my garden in sand with some peat moss. The first year yielded poor results. I collected food waste and composted it along with my garden leftovers. The next year production increased by nearly 50%. I saved potatoes, spinach seeds and peas to be used the next year. Production increased by another 50%. Flavor and texture also increased. My strawberries and raspberries literally melt in my mouth! Other that weeding, watering and composting, I don't do much else.
If more people would grow even a little of their own food, whether in a garden or container pots on their balconies, the world would be a better place.

After all, it fuels our existence....
 rockondon
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2009 1:22:04 AM
I'll take orgasmic food over conventional food any day.
 Runs With Wolves
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/16/2009 7:49:15 AM
Here I sit with my cup of coffee – wanting to have some interaction – I’m left posting about what’s better when it comes to food. No offence to the OP lol (did you see the lol Eagle?)

I bought some organic lettuce the other day – I usually buy the reg but had no choice that particular time – I notice the edges go yellow at a faster rate. The result? My son bring home the lunch I nicely packed for him because he thinks the lettuce looks funny . I don’t care for wasted food much, having scraped the bottom of bowls. I agree with others that the cost is too much – having a choice I go for the reg. toxic varieties.

EDIT: I have a patio garden of sorts this year - an abundance of tomatoes...I am looking so forward to comparing the taste to that of canned...lol
 Entzauberung
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/16/2009 11:22:35 AM

I bought some organic lettuce the other day... I notice the edges go yellow at a faster rate.

I usually buy only Romaine lettuce (the only lettuce with any real nutri0nal value), and no, not the organic type. I find the edges turn black, not yellow.

So I wonder what chemicals and toxins might account for this different colour when the lettuce loses its freshness. Ugh.
 longlocks40
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/19/2009 8:58:16 PM
I eat about 75 percent organic and i can taste and feel the difference. organic hamburgers and chicken taste so much better. The organic strawberries are so much tastier and look bette. so are the organic apples and cherries. I can feel a diffenece within my bosy when I eat organic food. Once traveling I ate at couple fast food palces and i felt horrible. Yes, organic is about 50 cents or more expensive then convential food but you get what you pay for. The mid west food chain Hy vee store has 10 percent off their organic food once a week. I take care of my self so I buy orgainic because those pecticides are dangerous. I also eat cage free eggs meaning the chickens are free from hormones and antibotics. Hormones in meant can mess up humans hormones levels.
 ~JaneSays~
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/19/2009 10:55:39 PM
I cannot really taste the difference . . . sorry. Having said this, I eat very little red meat - - - like once a week, if that. I think it is dangerous stuff.

I try to eat lots of veggies --- organic or not. Veggies and fruit are could sources of antioxidants.
 Phuqd
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/20/2009 6:01:12 PM
The thing I hate about eating vegetables is getting them back in the wheelchair after.
 ~JaneSays~
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/20/2009 6:26:56 PM
LOL . . . ^ Because I seriously do not get this joke and does it apply to both organic and conventional vegetables? I hope someone can explain.
 Phuqd
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/21/2009 1:09:06 PM
A joke is very poor taste.
But that's what I'm here for.
 sicklovesong
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/21/2009 1:45:09 PM
The reason why most people eat organic is not for the taste ot the food. I eat pretty much everything organic and yea it does taste better without tons of chemicals in it but my reasons are mostly for my health and well being and also the impact producing non organic foods has on the environment.
 Mountain Lion 1
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2009 6:29:10 PM
^^^^
... the impact producing non organic foods has on the environment.
unfortunately the impact if we were to rely on organic food would be that most of the worlds population would be starving, our natural resources be completely depleted...as it is the oceans alone have been depleted by approximately 75% of what it used to be. Rice and grain harvests would drop off by more than 50% of current production.....

OP, since you posed the question organic - conventional
I understand the generally referred to difference, grown with or free of pesticides/fertilizers

I may be wrong here...
IMO all food that is grown harvested is organic as are all nutrition substances of such material when processed, however many such foods have incredible amounts of synthetic substances added to increase volume, preservation etc.... sure we all know that...

I found very little detectable difference in foods allegedly grown organic compared to the conventional, thought there may have been one or another fruit or vegetable that may have tasted better. Unfortunately we cannot verify all the ingredients in either of the foods we buy but have to trust and rely on what is posted. I do trust foods labeled organic have less chemicals added, but that is as good as it gets.

Since most soil that produces fruit and vegetables has been in use for decades if not centuries and taking into account the general state of pollution in air soil and water and previous use of fertilizers/pesticides/herbicides very little can actually be classified as truly organic or natural with the exception wild plants and animals of the more remote areas.

Beef or free range buffalo commercially sold receive the same treatment prior to slaughter to prevent any possibility causing illness in humans. Yes buffalo taste different. From a chemical/hormone/antibiotica etc point of view only wild game hunted remains free of artificial additives except for whatever pollution the animal may pic up from its food sources.

IMHO organic is little more than a money grab for merchants. The closest we can come to organic is to grow, raise, hunt and forage and process our own.
 swoopie koopie
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2009 9:14:52 PM
i prefer organic food. healthier and tastes better. i just can't afford it.
 mrchicken
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/21/2009 9:45:13 PM
I like to eat most things!
Many people don't like small children; however, properly prepared, they can be quite tasty! I'm not sure how to tell if they are organic, or conventional though?
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Comparing organic food vs. conventional food