Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Mike Schmidt greatest baseball players of our time      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DanM76
Msg: 1
Mike Schmidt greatest baseball players of our timePage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Mike Schmidt is my favorite player. This past week an article in the Inquirer made a good point that Mike Schmidt is the greatest player of all time. All the gold gloves, home run titles, OBP, MVP's, and he only batted 269 or so career. Scmidt makes a claim that is valid, however you never know...his claim is that if he played in the new ball park in Philly he would have had at least 60 or more homeruns since it was harder to hit a homeruns in Veterens Stadium.

The article dismissed Babe Ruth because of the era he played in. No blacks or hispanics were allowed to play in those days. Schmidt played in a stacked era of great players and was MVP 3 times. Homerun champ I belive 7 or so. His on base percentage was high as well.
 MGMLION
Msg: 2
greatest baseball players of our time
Posted: 7/13/2009 7:04:02 PM
It was Roberto Clemente. He could hit, run, and throw and always come through in the clutch.
 Ezzee
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/13/2009 7:31:48 PM
I"m going to have to say Kirby Puckett. Hit for average (multi-time batting champion), excellent defense, excellent arm, good running, and you always knew that more often then not the ball would be put into play, which means everything, when he was at bat. Very few could match him. And finally, he was loyal, often times turning down great amounts of money to stay with the Twins. His career was cut short, sadly enough, but it was a fun career to watch.
 broncsbuff
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/13/2009 8:59:42 PM

The article dismissed Babe Ruth because of the era he played in.

I understand the logic, but any baseball fan will tell you the best player ever was Babe Ruth. He was a great pitcher, along with bashing the ball. In 1920 he hit more home runs than any other team in the american league.

Ted Williams was a great player also. He missed about 5 years for serving in the war. He is arguably the best pure hitter in the game ever.

The best players that I ever saw play was probably George Brett, Greg Maddox, Roger Clemens, Mike Schmidt, Cal Ripken, Barry Bonds, and Paul Molitor.

There are many more Im sure, that is just a short list.
 itsmillertime6227
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/13/2009 11:24:41 PM
Pujols and Griffey Jr will be remembered as all-time greats when their careers come to an end.
 comic book
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/14/2009 12:42:41 AM
mark mcmiguire, jose canseco, jason giambi, roger clemens, ken caminiti, sammy sosa, manny rodriguez, rafael palmeiro. I dont' know but I'm just drawn to the long ball and steriods.
 HDready10
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2009 2:31:54 AM
heres a quick batting line-up of the greatest players of our time:
1b-mark mcgwire(liked him better in oakland)
2b-rod carew(almost always a sure thang to get on base)
ss-cal ripken jr(never missed a days work)
3b-george brett(pine tar baby)
of-micky mantle(my first hero)
of-hank aaron(the first person to get there)
of-fred lynn(something bout them 70's redsox)
c-ivan rodriguez(was a great player as he rides around the al)
p-nolan ryan(did you ever see his fastball in person?)
 Truth09
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/14/2009 2:53:33 AM
Im going to go with griffey jr in his prime and nolan ryan.I still remember ryan beating the crap out of robin ventura
 HDready10
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2009 3:14:39 AM
also in the 90's bo jackson hit hard liner to the mound and busted ryans lip.it made him bleed, but he kept on pitching.
 DanM76
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/14/2009 5:43:36 AM
yeah unfortunately for Ruth he never played with hispanics or blacks and even japanese players. There are less black players today than the 70's though and the players who were black in the 70's era were great.

I have to disagree with the poster on George Brett. As long as Mike Schmidt exists he would fall behind Schmidt. Oe thing is Mike Schmidt had 3 MVP's and led the league in homeruns on at least 7 occasions.
 Sunshine-99
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2009 6:30:07 AM
Gregg Jeffries is the Best. Too bad he couldn't make the hall of fame due to all of those jealous sports writers.
 ShabbiKid
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/14/2009 8:40:47 AM
Rod Carew hasto be in the top 10. And he may be the best hitter ever....Far too much to post here, but here are a few things he accomplished .

Rod Carew>> 7 batting titles , rookie of the year 1967, Most valuable player

Carew and Ty Cobb are the only two players to lead both American and National leagues in hitting 3 consecutive years.

The rest of his accomplisments can be read here...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Carew
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/14/2009 9:35:52 AM

Also Ted Williams is a a Fag, proven homo, he sucks weiner. Just heard it on Famousflames.com

Can't say I'm familiar with that site. I'll just take your word on it. But way to "out" yourself on the world wide web

The funny thing about this thread is that the OP specifically said "of our time" and the names Ruth, Williams and Cobb are all over the place.

My list of greatest players in the game today would include Ken Griffey Jr., Randy Johnson and (although I hate to admit it) Derek Jeter.
Greatest I ever saw play? Nolan Ryan would have to be on that list, as well as Pete Rose, Paul Molitor, Ozzie Smith, Barry Bonds, Kirby Puckett and Ricky Henderson. There are others, but there's a few names
 enjoy_music
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/14/2009 12:41:26 PM
I cant attest for ever but I will add to who Ive seen. 80s until currently

Paul Molitor (primary DH sets him back..one of the best bats Ive witnessed)
Mike Schidmt
Tony Gwynn
Pujols
Robin Yount
 hyoid
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/14/2009 2:00:15 PM
If you go by the this year's local Cub's fans, Mark DeRosa, a utility fielder traded to Cleveland earlier this year is in the running. The guy is versatile. I think he played 6 or 7 positions in his 2.5 years with the Cubs.
It's quieted a little since Aramis Ramirez returned from the DL but the clamor in the papers and talk radio for re-acquiring DeRosa was almost deafening.
No chance though, because the Cardinals wrapped up this years World Series by getting DeRosa a couple of weeks ago.javascript:smilie('')
 Uncle Fist
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/14/2009 3:16:31 PM
I guess it depends on what era we're talking about.

Nolan Ryan
Mike Schmidt
Roger Clemens
Barry Bonds
Randy Johnson
Craig Biggio
Ken Griffey Jr.

When it's all said and done Pujols and A-Rod will be on that list as well. They're still too current for me to count them.
 adru1028
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2009 5:03:14 PM
Raphael,

Craig Biggio was the epitome of pro ball player on & off the field. Multiple Golden Gloves at catcher & second. Was known around the league for his hardnose play & hustle. I was wore my #7 Biggio jersey to a triple A game here in Frsno CA. You wouldn't believe the number of times I heard someone shout out BIGGIO! He did it the right way..
 dwayne88
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2009 6:15:12 PM
I'm 26 and the best of my time is Barry Bonds.

I do not even like the guy. But he is the best of my time.

The only thing he didn't have was a strong arm. He was great at everything else.

And that is before be became a linebacker.

The best ever?. Either Ruth or Mays.

I think Mays was the best all-round player ever.
 sum1reel
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/14/2009 6:53:34 PM
Clemens, pudge rodriguez, Bonds, mcGwire, Palmero, sosa, canseco, giambi (to name some)......all juicers and should not even be mentioned!

2 of the (recent times) best clutch players in MLB are:

1. Reggie Jackson
2. Pete Rose
 caffeinejag
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/14/2009 7:14:54 PM
Mariano Rivera,

Derek Jeter is not the best short stop but may be one of the most heads up and clutch player. It is amazing to watch the names that Derek and Jorge Posada are now passing.

As a kid, Johnny Bench was my fav
 just alittle crazy II
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/14/2009 7:58:08 PM
What about the "say hey kid" Willie Mays he is a legend
 adru1028
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2009 8:47:58 PM
No matter how much of an a** he is you can't deny A-Rod's numbers to date & performance on the diamond. If he stays healthy he will break some major offensive milestones.
 adru1028
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2009 8:50:59 PM
Just think of the numbers a HEALTHY Griffey Jr could have put up. Dude is the Tracy McGrady of MLB.
 ShabbiKid
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/15/2009 6:31:30 AM
These would be found only in a "Comic Book." No pun intended!

mark mcmiguire, jose canseco, jason giambi, roger clemens, ken caminiti, sammy sosa, manny rodriguez, rafael palmeiro. I dont' know but I'm just drawn to the long ball and steriods.
 adru1028
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2009 9:45:03 AM
Denny,
I never said Griffey wasn't a hall of famer. I agree he is a first ballot as well. In my mind one of the top 5 talents of all time. Jr also has one of the purest swings the game has ever seen.
The comparison to McGrady is that they are both often injured having on MORE than one occasion missing the majority of a season in their respective sport. That was it..nothing more..
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Mike Schmidt greatest baseball players of our time