Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Who sets our Moral Standards?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 restless_native
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Who sets our Moral Standards?Page 1 of 1    
This is one of those threads where you'll gets lots of self righteous people banging on about what a disgrace it is and how they'd never do such a thing.

The reality is that in the same situation I think most people would probably do the same. Rules come in very handy for hiding behind sometimes with people conveniently oblivious to the fact that they aren't acting within the spirit of them if it suits their own ends.

"Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools."

Douglas Bader.
 Cargy.
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Who sets our Moral Standards?
Posted: 7/15/2009 8:56:31 AM
In my experience (which has left me somewhat jaded over the years); quis custodiet iposos custodies.

Invariably, those in a position of trust will find some way to justify why they should benefit from their position by abusing trust.

Besides, they could function perfectly adequately in rented accomodation, and not walk away with a paid-for property at the end of it
 Cargy.
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2009 9:26:53 AM

They would live in rented property, only the company that owned it would be their company so owning it would be by default surely?

So it's essentially a common or garden tax dodge; A nice house with a garden full of gnomes, paid for legitimately with no real abuse of trust.

I wouldn't question that, simply because it's not abusing a position of trust. It is not encumbent on a citizen to maximise his taxation obligations.

It is, however, up to an MP to minimise his expenses which are taken from funds raised by taxation.
 restless_native
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2009 9:48:17 AM
A nice house with a garden full of gnomes, paid for legitimately with no real abuse of trust.

Apparently you're only actually allowed to claim for the second gnome.
 Cargy.
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2009 10:09:23 AM

Entitled to is the key word here

Indeed, but we also need to consider how that entitlement came to be. If it was self-voted (by earlier generations of MPs) then the entitlement is questionable.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Who sets our Moral Standards?