Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Raised by media, and what to do about it now.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ejspur
Msg: 1
Raised by media, and what to do about it now.Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Hey folks.

I, like many others, was raised almost entirely by media icons that don't exist. My family existed in the form of Full House and Family Matters. My friends were the Transformers and Ninja Turtles. My teacher was Bill Nye. From a very young age, I was implanted with the general media's version of family values, and it's held me back a lot in life. While other kids were developing at a normal pace in their social interactions, I found myself confused that nobody else seemed to be raised in the same method, and I had a very lonely childhood.

Over the past several years, however, I've evolved to the point where I can start unlearning many of the false impressions that media has taught me, mostly about the world of dating and relationships. I have a number of friends now from many different walks from life that, during my childhood, were absent. I'm proud to say that I have a much better grasp of the world around me, media-free. (I stopped watching television in 2002.)

What I'd like to know is if anyone else out there had this issue now or at any point in the past, and what you did (or are doing) about it to make a change for the better.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Raised by media, and what to do about it now.
Posted: 7/16/2009 4:55:25 AM

While other kids were developing at a normal pace in their social interactions, I found myself confused that nobody else seemed to be raised in the same method, and I had a very lonely childhood.
Other people have exactly the same problems. The only difference is their approach to it. Some feel rejected by society. Others pretend to integrate into the system, but feel incredibly alone, because they are always pretending, and never saying or doing what they want, and often turn to drink, drugs, and sex, to numb the pain of being surrounded by people and yet feeling nothing in common with any of them. We're all in the same boat.

(I stopped watching television in 2002.)
I have seen so many people say exactly the same thing about TV. It seems to me that TV is the "opium of the masses", if anything is.

What I'd like to know is if anyone else out there had this issue now or at any point in the past, and what you did (or are doing) about it to make a change for the better.
Yes, I did, and still do. I found that what worked for me, was to question everything I had ever been taught, because that came from people who learned their ideas from the media, and even to question everything I have taken for granted, because there is much that I have absorbed that is now so much habit, that I have forgotten where I picked it up from, and even that I picked it up at all. I'm still amazed at just how much I find that the very things that I STILL take for granted, have been shaped by the media, when I question them.

Take NOTHING for granted. Prove everything for yourself.
 kpooks
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2009 6:48:05 AM
You said it OP: Turn off the TV.
 Ahoytheredave
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2009 7:31:09 AM
TV is simply an escape from reality. There are many others such as these very forums. It can be a sport, church, political cause etc. What is reality is the impact they all have on society. If you isolate yourself from specific media with some mindset that specific ones are evil, who is the real polarizing influence? I would suggest avoid making any medium or escape the dominating influence in your life and embrace all of what the universe and society has to offer.
 chrono1985
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/16/2009 9:36:06 PM
I'm not sure about people being alienated because they fall into what media gives them as a norm, but the opposite I seen most of my life. I've always taken television as what it is, entertainment, but got alienated in middle and high school because I didn't subscribe to the ideas other were gaining from watching television. There was actually a single table of 8 people I hung out with in high school that all got alienated for not subscribing to the stuff media was feeding them. I've almost always had access to cable television but rarely chose to watch it, it really wasn't until 3 or 4 years ago that I actually started to watch shows and that's mostly done online where I don't have a ton of commercial crammed down my throat, and usually while working on a 3d model or programming (helps to keep me from focusing on small details that don't matter to the end user).
 scorpiomover
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2009 4:47:15 AM

On those lonely nights when white people wish they could be watching American Idol, Lost, or Grey’s Anatomy, they comfort themselves by thinking of how when people talk about the show tomorrow they can say “I didn’t see it, I don’t have a TV. That stuff rots your brain.”
If you personally know people who don't talk about anything but how they don't have a TV, or about things that you'd see discussed on a TV talk show, with their opinions being about the same as you'd see on a TV talk show, then yes, they are white trash, because they are not switching off the TV at all. It's still in their heads.

But I know quite a few people who don't watch TV at all, and never mention it, and only speak about quite well-thought-out views. About the only time they mention watching TV is when I ask them about why they don't watch TV. Mind you, most of them are theists. So I guess that doesn't count.

So you're probably right. From what you've said, I guess there are probably no white atheists who don't watch TV, and aren't white trash.
 hyoid
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/17/2009 7:07:41 AM

seems to me that TV is the "opium of the masses"

Sorry, religion is the opium of the masses.

Maybe TV can be the Quaalude of the masses.

I'll admit to feeling a bit smug in the past about not watching TV. That decision had several motivations. One was boredom. I mean, how many times can you watch horeshoe crabs mate?
Another was recognizing that most fictional TV is character based. And many of those characters are really exceptional. Gorgeous or hilarious or resourceful or evil. Not at all like the real people around me. Why wouldn't I prefer those archetypes of humanity to the flawed, only occasionally outstanding people around me.
Then there were the ads. My first love was the Green Bay Packers but I can't stand to watch televised football. 3 hours to complete a 60 minute game?

TV gave me an easy way to teach my 2 sons to be sceptical about commercial claims. When they were younger and at the age where every new toy commercial brought cries of "Dad! I really want that. It's so cool!" I decided to show them how the marketing differed from the reality.
We got out one of the Hot Wheels tracks they begged for and set it up to do the flying crashes that dominated the commercials and thrilled the actors. Well, that cheap extruded plastic doesn't make a very precise fit so keeping things on the track was the first problem to solve. With lots of duct tape we finally got a smooth track and worked on the timing. Finally got that precise.
Ran it once. "Hey! That was cool! DO it again."
then "Neat."
then "OK . I'm going to go play with Quinn. Can I put this away later?"

They actually got into an argument at Target once, disagreeing on which part of a heavily advertised toy would break first. Auto commercials draw particular sarcasm" I'm going to get a car that levitates buildings" "Well I'm going to get one that drives up the sides of mountains"
 scorpiomover
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2009 12:44:23 PM
RE Msg: 24 by hyoid:

seems to me that TV is the "opium of the masses"
Sorry, religion is the opium of the masses.

Maybe TV can be the Quaalude of the masses.
I don't deny that there Karl Marx said that. But I just don't think it fits with the way that opium is used. Opium addicts were the heroin junkies of their day. You cannot just take opium every Sunday, and forget about it the rest of the week. But many people do just that with religion. But those who do watch TV avidly, cannot bear to miss their favourite soaps, including me.

I'll admit to feeling a bit smug in the past about not watching TV. That decision had several motivations. One was boredom. I mean, how many times can you watch horeshoe crabs mate?
Another was recognizing that most fictional TV is character based. And many of those characters are really exceptional. Gorgeous or hilarious or resourceful or evil. Not at all like the real people around me. Why wouldn't I prefer those archetypes of humanity to the flawed, only occasionally outstanding people around me.
Then there were the ads. My first love was the Green Bay Packers but I can't stand to watch televised football. 3 hours to complete a 60 minute game?

TV gave me an easy way to teach my 2 sons to be sceptical about commercial claims.
I usually like to analyse adverts to figure out why they are trying to sell me something. For instance, most commericals use music, which is claimed to bypass the thinking parts of the brain, and to get you to buy things on your emotions alone. When some ad doesn't have any music, it often seems to be something that is so useful, and such good value for money, that if I had never saw it in an advert, but happened to see it in a shop while I was out, I'd buy it

When they were younger and at the age where every new toy commercial brought cries of "Dad! I really want that. It's so cool!" I decided to show them how the marketing differed from the reality.
We got out one of the Hot Wheels tracks they begged for and set it up to do the flying crashes that dominated the commercials and thrilled the actors. Well, that cheap extruded plastic doesn't make a very precise fit so keeping things on the track was the first problem to solve. With lots of duct tape we finally got a smooth track and worked on the timing. Finally got that precise.
Ran it once. "Hey! That was cool! DO it again."
then "Neat."
then "OK . I'm going to go play with Quinn. Can I put this away later?"

They actually got into an argument at Target once, disagreeing on which part of a heavily advertised toy would break first. Auto commercials draw particular sarcasm" I'm going to get a car that levitates buildings" "Well I'm going to get one that drives up the sides of mountains"
Great idea. Now I have an idea on how to keep my future children from developing low self-esteem from watching TV adverts at their friend's houses.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2009 12:44:41 PM
RE Msg: 27 by Alli_oop:

So you're probably right. From what you've said, I guess there are probably no white atheists who don't watch TV, and aren't white trash.
I'ma white atheist, I watch tv, therefore I'm white trash? Nice.
Now you have a better idea why I don't think it is fair to assume that theists are any less intelligent than atheists.
 ejspur
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/17/2009 5:35:32 PM
I'm white. I don't watch tv. I'm not exactly aethist and I'm not really theist. It wasn't always this way. I was once a good little Christian boy, but then I found that there were just too many questions that religion couldn't answer for me.

I'm not trying to profess a "Holier Than Thou" mindset when I say I despise what television has done to western culture, just merely stating that it spends too much time distracting people from real issues, rather keeping them focused on whatever Paris Hilton is up to, or who the next (Clay Aiken/Carrie Underwood/et al.) will be.

I'm simply saying that I personally find it deceiving. Deceiving and addictive for people who can't keep a handle on their addictions. Once again, everything in moderation, right?

However, I liken television to a drug in many ways. People stare into the God-box with about the same level of emotional connection to the people around them as heroine addicts have. They waste hours per day watching things that bring little enjoyment. (Next time you watch the news, count the advertisements for anti-depressants. You might be surprised.)

Nonetheless, I don't profess to be better than the guy in the trailer park who sits and watches eight hours of television a day. I simply profess to be more aware of the world around me now that I've turned it off.

Mind you, addiction to the internet is just as damaging, and I can say I spend more than two hours a day online. Time that could be better spent out enjoying the fresh air and company of friends, much like the tv crowd.

Everyone here is making some really good points for and against the whole "raised by media" thing. There are some things that modern mass media has done that can be positive, if utilized and received properly, but I find the negative aspects far outweigh them. That's why I woke up one morning and instead of turning on the tv, I decided we were done like dinner and dumped it like a bad date.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Raised by media, and what to do about it now.