Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Worst Job You've Ever Had      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ezzee
Msg: 5
Worst Job You've Ever HadPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Worst job I ever had was being a donut fryer. It just wasn't for me. I lasted about a week in the job. But there were some perks. Like when you screwed up a donut.
 Revilors
Msg: 6
Worst Job You've Ever Had
Posted: 7/16/2009 5:48:29 PM
Worked one summer for the circus…circumcising elephants.

The pay really stunk…but the tips were big.
 Pyro74
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2009 7:48:50 PM
Sales manager for 7up/RC Bottling Co.
Salary job, no OT, but was still pressured into working 50 hours plus per week. Had 30+ accounts which means I had to deal with 30+ a$$hole store managers and assistant managers.( only a couple were cool) My Nextel, text pager, and cell-phone were constantly going off. If I didn't answer them even when I was supposed to be done for the day, they would yell at me in the morning.
I was pretty much on call on Saturdays until all my loads were delivered.(until about 3 pm) There was no point in making good numbers, because that your only set your own bar higher for next year. No calling in sick, they would call me every two hours: "How you feeling now? Can you come in for a few hours?"
All in all it is the worst job ever.
 danishsweetbread
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/16/2009 8:19:22 PM
I had a job as a switchboard answering service rep. It was just awful.
We had a switchboard you would plug into to answer the call.
The ambulance drivers would call in for a doctor and YELL at you to PAGE THE DOCTOR NOW! Meanwhile the doctor would not response to his pager. The saddest calls were from a doctor's wife begging me to page her husband to call her. He would call in and say "if my wife calls and says to page me, don't". There was a rape crisis line we'd have to pick up. Sometimes a little girl would be on the other end. We had a sex-change therapist to answer that line and it got dicey if we should say "pls hold SIR" or "pls hold MAM".

Meanwhile staff started blaming me for thing that had nothing to do with me (the irate note somebody wrote about operators on a day I was not even working) and started cutting my hours...then giving me undesirable hours. So I just quit after yelling "This is bull----!" to the whole place.

This was back in the late 80s/early 90s.
 danishsweetbread
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/16/2009 8:43:23 PM
Correction to my post above:Meant to write: we had one line for a sex-change therapist...
(it came out that we had a sex-change therapist to answer the rape crisis hotline and that was NOT the case!) thanks
 TryAgan
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2009 8:47:45 PM
Farceur - Msg 4

Posting wisecracks on a dating site forum for two dollars a day. It totally sucks

Yes, it sucks. But main thing is that you like it.
 Andy687
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2009 9:09:59 PM

Being a bagger at the grocery store. Baggers get stuck with all the nasty jobs no one else wants to do. One time, someone's child vomited all over a cart, and guess who got to clean it up? Me. Oh yeah. It was loads of fun getting in all the crevices to clean it.

Winner. My first job was a "courtesy clerk"(or bag ****) as i use to call it. Such an awful job got paid next to nothing to deal with morons and gross stuff. I remember during the winter storms i would work the late shift and have to collect carts that all the lazy asses left in the parking lot.

However, the worst position at the grocery store for me was the "Utility clerk". I got a .50 cent raise to be a janitor and to stock beer. I was responsible for all the nasty stuff as well.

The worst night was when someone literally filled the sink of the women's bathroom with vomit. I almost got written up because i couldnt clean it up. It had a smell that had filled the room and i was on the verge of gagging right when i opened the door.

On one of my days off someone went into the mens bathroom and left a trail of "milk duds" from the stall to the sink. It would have been quitting time if it had been my shift.
 raxarsr
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2009 10:22:25 PM
building silos......worst job ever created...up 1 1/2 hrs before daylight........work till 1 pm......lunch...then work till dark....not twilight.dark.......hardest physical work i've ever done......110 defrees outside with 92% humidity................if i EVER see culpepper virginia again...it will be too soon
 Jewels49
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/17/2009 3:13:47 AM
Tobacco Picker.
Not the picking, but as you swung in between each row of tobacco you had to avoid Red belly black snakes, which rapped them selves around the plants. When I arrived, on the property to start work, they had already claimed 3 lives. There was also a problem with the showers, unbeknown to us, a sheep had wandered near the water reservoir, fell in and drowned. There it stayed, fermenting. I wondered why the water smelt "funky"...and subsequently, so did I...
 TooShadows
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2009 7:21:16 AM
Back in 1984 I had a summer job building a golf course in my home towm. It should have been a great job,working in the great outdoors,good hours,close to home,several scantily clad young ladies working with us. However,the foreman took a personal disliking to me. I'd gone to school with his daughter and her and I couldn't stand each other,so I wonder if that had something to do with it. At any rate he spent the summer giving me bullsh!t jobs to make my life miserable. One of his favorite tricks was to put me on a job by myself that actually needed several people to do,then give me hell when I couldn't keep up to the others doing the same job elsewhere. He tried to have me fired by complaining to the owners of the golf course,but he didn't realize that a couple of those owners were good friends of my parents,and the owners started asking the other employees what was going on. As a result,the foreman barely kept his job. Unfortunately at that point I only had a week to go,but it was nice to see him get his comeuppance.
 *buzz*
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2009 10:31:40 AM
While being a student I worked in a matches' factory for several weekends. Conveyor belt and dust was driving me crazy.
 daynadaze
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2009 11:29:51 PM
Working at a nursing home was my worst job too. I was in high school and was really suppose to clean, but they made me feed the spitters and help bathe the old men, I was not prepared for such things at that time in my life.
 HDready10
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2009 8:56:47 PM
30 years ago i drove a truck.the disgusting thing about this job was cleaning grease traps in restaurants.smelly and rotten i actually did it for 3 months, the money was good.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 35
Posted: 7/19/2009 6:45:04 AM

Posting wisecracks on a dating site forum for two dollars a day. It totally sucks.

Whaaa??? They're only paying me 50 cents a day.

Working for Wal-Mart was bad, but being a dispatcher at a hick sheriff's office was worse.
 arwen52
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2009 8:31:15 AM
Worst job I ever had was the month I worked in a paper factory. I was 23 years old, it was during the Nixon recession, and I was desperate for a job. I got hired at a paper factory where I had to run a dangerous paper-cutting machine for 10 hours a day. It had safety features that were supposed to keep us from getting out fingers and hands cut off be we were required to run the machines in a way that bypassed the safety features. I was paid minimum wage to run a mind-numbing machine and risk losing my fingers for 10 hours a day. All the women were paid less than all the men, even though we were doing the same or comparable jobs. The modern paper cutting equipment was tempermental and often jammed. When it did, we were required to run turn-of-the century cutting equipment that had open blades and no safety features. This, of course, was a complete violation of any safety regulations.

I finally quit after a month, even though I needed the money. Three months later, I ran into a young coworker. He lost two of his fingers in one of the turn-of-the-century cutting machines shortly after I left.

The other worst job was the last construction job I was on. We had a bad tempered foremen and general foreman. The conditions on the job were disgusting. We were renovating a large, old, building. The plumbing to the toilets had been disconnected but many of the guys were too lazy to go out to the Johnny On The Spots so they continued using them for months. Many areas of the building had no lighting and there were openings in the floor that were probably 4'x6' with no barriers around them to stop you from falling through. There were also smaller openings in the floor in dimly lit areas. We were made to work in areas where they were doing demolition while they were doing the demolition, even though there was no good reason we couldn't wait until the demo was done. Debris would come raining down just a few feet away. It's a miracle no one got hit. I'm just telling you a *few* of the conditions of this job. It was ridiculously, unnecessarily hazardous. I worked in construction for 13 years and it was the worst, it was insane. I was working on the floor below the day the plumbers removed the disconnected toilets and several month old urine rained down a few feet from us - no one bothered to warn anyone below, rope the area off, or make any effort to contain the urine. It was disgusting. Dust levels were so high during the demolition that you could barely see across the building. Most of the people on the crew got severe bronchitis - I ended up with a fungus infection in my lungs and got pneumonia. My respiratory system is permanently damaged but there was nothing I could do about it since I couldn't prove the connection.

I finally, after six months of this, called OSHA. (Occupational Safety and Health Administration.) Reagan had fired half the OSHA inspectors a few months before and there was no way to get an OSHA inspector out on the job. The formal complaint process took months at that point because of Reagan's gutting OSHA. I filed the complaint anyway but by the time it went through, conditions on the job had improved just because we'd finally gotten to a point in the job where the demolition was done, the old plumbing had all been disconnected, and the holes in the floor had been dealt with. When the complaint finally went through, the general contractors response was essentially, "Unsafe conditions? There's no unsafe conditions. We have no idea what you're talking about."

When people complain about OSHA, or "big guvm'nt," or how great Reagan was, I want to put them on that job (or the old paper cutting factory) for six months and then see what they have to say about it.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Worst Job You've Ever Had