Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Why are American men afraid to show passion      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GMan85615
Msg: 2
Why are American men afraid to show passionPage 1 of 1    
Well, it might be that 30 years of witch-hunts for stalking, sexual harassment, and abuse have led us to be careful about with whom we let our passions show. All it takes is one wrong guess, so we generally wait for some indication that we're on solid ground.
 raxarsr
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Why are American men afraid to show passion
Posted: 7/17/2009 8:32:28 AM
exactly right g-man....its tough to be passoinate when everytime you tell a woman [other than your wife if your married ]she looks nice you run a very significent risk of being accused of being a sexist...[on the low end]......to being brought up on sexual harrassment charges.[worst case]
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/17/2009 8:53:13 AM
Ach! I came here to defend you guys and now *I* am getting bashed (American woman, and a feminist at that!).
------------------------------

I have no problem finding men who ARE passionate and express it in actions and with words. The difference is they don't express it out on the streets to any woman who passes by (I'm thinking Italian men right now!), or to every single woman out there. They keep it for ONE woman, not ALL women.

--------------
Edit: I have dated South American and European men as well. I have found American men mean it when they say something, Europeans don't necessarily--it's just the thing to say at the moment. SA men don't say anything lol!
 SexyKG74
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2009 9:04:51 AM
I think it depends on how someone was raised...I also will say in certain areas of America (especially NYC) dating tends to unfortunately be a game...for both males and females...it's almost as if some people (not all) are afraid to tell people what they are feeling...and many are looking for "the next best thing", whether concerning looks and/or money/social status...

I've dated European and American men. I will only speak from my personal experiences. On average, the European men tend to be more open about their feelings (if they are happy or even unhappy about the relationship) and the American men with bloodlines that are closer to Europe (maybe their parents or close grandparents were born there) tend to be similar to Europeans. But I've also had relationships with American men who were very open with their feelings...I think it depends on the guy you're with...
 egboy
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2009 9:12:11 AM
I have been told that I was the most passionet man they have ever been with and I'm still single??????? I'm not bragging I'm complaining. If you want passion and get it in every way why dump him?????
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2009 9:32:53 AM

They keep it for ONE woman, not ALL women.

Yeah, I agree. It sort of boils down to what is socially acceptable...which, I think a couple of previous posters were attempting to say, also, but perhaps weren't quite as PC about it...which sort of makes their point...if they state something openly, honestly and with the passion they feel on the subject, it is construed as 'bashing'.

Political correctness (*gags*), feminism, etc. I believe have curtailed a lot of the passion in many American men. Something a particular society embraces or accepts, e.g. a hug, an embrace, a peck on the cheek(s) upon meeting (even complete strangers) in Europe just isn't done here (except perhaps in pockets where recently immigrated citizens might reside and continue the traditions of their Motherlands).

As well, there are distinct attributes, traditions and societal 'norms' within each country in Europe (and the rest of the World). America on the other hand, is a blend of all of those societies. As generations go by, those tradions and 'norms' which accompanied their immigrating owners get dilluted and watered down.

I read statements fairly regularly on women's profiles along the lines of, "I'm a true Irish redhead," (code for 'feisty' / 'spirited') or, "I'm Italian through and through," (code for 'sensuous' / 'uninhibited'). <<< Those are not meant to be assumptions on my part...it is what is being conveyed within the context of the individuals' profiles. So, it goes to show that American women also feel a 'need' to illustrate how passionate they are. Perhaps they are more adept at achieving that than the American male or, more inclined to vocalize it.

JMO.

~ds~
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Why are American men afraid to show passion