Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Facial hair on men over 45 - make them look older or younger - why?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DaytonDennis
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Facial hair on men over 45 - make them look older or younger - why?Page 1 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
Okay, this is a two-part question. Now, I have a mustache and I think it makes me look younger (of course, that is a biased viewpoint) But ladies (or guys), do you think a mustache and/or a beard makes a man appear older than his years or does it depend on whether its just a mustache rather than a beard? There was this guy I worked with in the post office many years ago who was 45 (I was 25 at the time) and he had this really great mustache and I thought he looked 35 rather than the 45 he actually was. I transferred out of that post office, but ran into him about 4 or 5 years later - he had shaved off his mustache and I thought he looked 20 years older. Of course, maybe he'd just had a very bad 5 years life experience since I saw him last.
Second part - I have seen some ladies on here expressing that they wanted a man who was "clean shaven". I'm a bit confused about that. Does that mean absolutely NO facial hair, including no mustache?
 daffie
Msg: 2
Does facial hair on men over 45 make them look older or younger?
Posted: 7/18/2009 5:18:45 AM
older or younger than what?.... lol

personally, no.... i don't like facial hair on a man.
a lot of men wear a beard to hide a double chin or their weak jaw line.
now if you looked like clark gable, or maybe george clooney after he had been stranded in the desert for a few days.....mmmmmm

i remember going out with a bearded, moustached man who also smoked. when he kissed me at the end of the night i nearly passed out with the stench of the smoke and food that had deposited in all that hair throughout the evening.

no, facial hair isn't sexy!
 SASSYN89178
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2009 6:45:15 AM
It all depends upon what color it is. If the hair on your head (if you have any) is brown and your beard or mustache comes in white....................................
 outofthedesert
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/18/2009 7:06:02 AM
Depends on the man. Some it makes old and some younger. Just like woman and hair color. Some women look young inspite of their grey hair and some the change of color makes them look younger. You look great with the mustache but like another poster, I prefer my man clean shaven. Again your profile does not show you any other way. Nothing worse than seeing a nose run into a mustache or food in a beard.................gross. If a man is going to have the facial hair, he has to be fascidious in his grooming---which everyone should be...............

....great profile by the way.
 DaytonDennis
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2009 7:09:50 AM
Sassy says:

It all depends upon what color it is. If the hair on your head (if you have any) is brown and your beard or mustache comes in white....................................

All I can say is thank God for Just4Men.... *cough*
 sweet1kcar
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/18/2009 7:16:41 AM
It completely depends on the guy if it makes him look older or younger. You should keep the facial hair because you like it not because of what women think. The right woman will appreciate you facial hair and all.

Good luck
 sanchinkalady
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/18/2009 7:19:44 AM
I like facial hair on a man if it suits him. Some guys just look better with it, some don't! But, if they have facial hair I like it to be trimmed neatly about their mouth because guys, if I'm kissing you I want to feel your lips!

Robin
 *~*ChardyGirl*~*
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/18/2009 7:39:55 AM
Op,i think your moustache suits you.....

However,there's a couple of regular male posters in their 40's with facial hair....and,i swear i used to think they were in their 60's til i checked their profiles !!

So...................facial hair certainly can age a man...............................
Oh.......and,"clean shaven" generally means NO moustache OR beard...!!
 spicynicegirl
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/18/2009 7:43:56 AM
Sorry Dennis but if we were dating I'd ask you to shave the mo....................LOL. So lucky for you there's no chance of that

Mostly I think guys look way older with facial hair and therefore I'm not a huge fan.

Dennis I've reconsidered in your particular case because darn it does seem to suit you!!! So now will you marry me? LOL
 ForumFilly
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/18/2009 7:46:52 AM
I think your mustache looks terrific, Dennis. Do NOT shave it. I love mustaches and mustaches and goatees together (called a Van Dyke). I don't like goatees by themselves. Beards of any sort without a mustache look weird to me. Too Amish, I guess. I think that most men look great with facial hair and it's a preference of mine. My man has a Van Dyke and I told him not to even THINK of shaving it. I think he looks terrific with it. He'd probably look just as good without, but I prefer it.
 Call me Ginny
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/18/2009 7:52:56 AM
I think it depends on the man, but in general a full beard makes a man look older. Mustach, not so much. Op, yours looks just fine.

That said, my personal preference is clean shaven, and if a man is bald (one of my favorites, but not a deal breaker ) I think he should not have a beard.

IMO Older men who keep their hair and/or beard long look rediculous to me. Particularly the pony tail thing.

Namaste,
Ginny

DaytonDennis
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2009 8:09:07 AM
Spicy says:

Sorry Dennis but if we were dating I'd ask you to shave the mo....................LOL. So lucky for you there's no chance of that

Oh, Spicy, if we were dating, I'd shave my LEGS for you! *cough* But I guess we'll never know *sigh*

Going back ON topic, I've always wondered if I would shave my mustache for a lady if she asked me to. History of my mustache is that I started growing it (many moons ago) about 3 weeks before a comrade of mine was killed next to me in combat, and I've kinda worn it in honor of him ever since. (sorry if that sounds odd to you) Am I now "wedded" to it so much that I wouldn't shave it for the right lady? Nope. My comrade lives in my heart and mind, not in my mustache. That lady would be "real time" and I'm sure my departed buddy would kick me in the arse if I didn't shave it for her. *Dennis needs more coffee*
 moraima
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2009 8:16:32 AM
Facial hair, especially mustaches where a huge fashion statement in the 70 and 80's. Today the styles have change greatly, but many men haven't done an update. Many of the men I have talked to about the issue have said that they are so used to having the facial hair that they would feel naked without it. I know I would be uncomfortable without my long hair (so I do relate somewhat) , but I have updated the styles I wear my hair in every few years. Maybe the gentlemen should take a look at the 2009 styles and see if they could live with a more modern look.

A big point about 90% of the men I talk to make is that they have tender skin so shaving would be uncomfortable for them. I have to point out that snuggling up to a man with facial hair gives my tender skin problems, and makes me very uncomfortable. It does seem to be a download of his problem to her if the women is made uncomfortable. Best to just stick to women who like facial hair.........problem solved.

Over the decades I have seen far too many men with food/drink stuck to their mustaches. This bothers me a lot. If you live in a place that has a long winter, icicles hanging from facial hair just appealing to me.

As far as the age things goes, the style of facial alone can age a man. Add changes in the colour and consistance of the hair and it is very aging.

Maybe visiting an in style barber for suggestion might be helpful. Surely there are computer programs that can picture the man with various facial hair styles, and without facial hair would give the man an idea of what he would look like if he updated.

Myself, I wouldn't date a man with facial hair, because I am not attracted to the look.

I will say that about 70% of the local male profiles my age how 70's style facial hair. I would never want someone to shave just to date me. I am not into controlling other, nor would I want someone who could be controlled................

Worse thing you don't like it if you shave it off, and you have to grow it back.
 Moooocow
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/18/2009 8:35:47 AM
I'm surprised OP that you say you think men look younger with a mustache. I find a man who shaves his mustache looks much younger after he removes it then when he grows it. I couldn't grow one if I tried however I like to take a day or two off from shaving on the weekend.

I can understand the womans point of view that it's not so great snuggling against a ruff face cause I'm not fussy about rubbing my face against stubble areas either.

But I'm not complaining , just saying.
 breath~
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/18/2009 9:12:23 AM

2009 styles
I think there really is no set 2009 style.
What a relief to live in the times when you can wear any hair style, any dress length, and so on and so on and so on.
"Rules" once were very strict.

As for facial hair on men...
When I go out, I can look around and see some with, some without, and some just doin' the 'scruffy'.
Individuality.. great!!

As to looking older or younger.. I really don't care about that one way or another.
Seriously.
I am not one to worry and/or fuss around about looking older/younger.
I wouldn't worry and/or fuss around about 'my man' looking older/younger, either.
 blondegirl24
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/18/2009 9:17:12 AM
I ADORE "most" men with a goatee. I find them very sexy. I have seen average looking men look hot by just having one. Of course, this is my own preference but yes I do really like a well-kept goatee on a man.
 Fifi47
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/18/2009 9:45:40 AM
I guess it depends on the man. I like facial hair fine (on a man, I try to wax my brows and upper lip when I need to, I just love having very dark hair and being menopausal. (being sarcastic) Some men look great with facial hair, some look better to me without it. I dated someone 6 years ago and he had a mustache, which looked attractive to me. He moved out of the country, returned to live here again, and we dated a few times again last year, he no longer had the mustache and I never could get used to how he looked without it. He had aged a lot to me in 6 years, yes I know we all do, but he looked about 65 to me and he was 57, and I was 50, almost 51 last year when we saw each other again and he told me repeatedly that I looked 40 to him. He said that he got tired of the mustache, and he was told that he looked younger without it. Guess everyone has a different idea of what is young or old looking.
 kpooks
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2009 9:49:48 AM
In my case, older. There's mostly salt in my salt-and-pepper beard.
 absofreakinlutely
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/18/2009 10:05:40 AM
I think facial hair on men over 45 ages them. I know a couple of men close to 50 who look great with a goatee but the style is modern and well maintained.

Another poster mentioned mustaches are a throwback to the '70's and '80's and I agree. I couldn't imagine Matt Lauer or Al Roker or Brian Williams with facial hair. They would look like they were in disguise if they sported a mustache. Some celebrities sport facial hair from time to time but most are clean shaven, which to answer your last question, means no hair on the face.

There are plenty of women who like men with facial hair; I'm in the camp of women who prefer clean shaven.
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/18/2009 10:31:28 AM
Hi Dennis,

I think your mustache is very becoming.. I also think you look much younger than you are, and it suits you really well.

As for the second part of your question I cannot answer that since I do not particularly care for men that are clean shaven.

I like a little tickle on my face.. besides it serves a dual purpose of exfoliating my skin nicely.

How does cheek to cheek sound to you?

thecatsmeoww
 ncessential
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/18/2009 1:13:02 PM
I agree with post #6. You should keep it if you like it. The right woman will apppreciate it. I think a nice *foo man choo mustache and beard* makes a man look hot!
 willdntrouble
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/18/2009 2:00:33 PM
My beard is silver grey. I think it makes me look older but I don't really care. It's not a crime to get older, especially considering the alternative.

I've had a moustache on and off since 1967. Now I have a short beard, about 1/4 inch, because I prefer to run the clippers over it once a week rather than shave every day.

I don't have a weak jaw and I'm not hiding a double chin. I'm 60, in shape, dress well in public, no big belly, great teeth, making the best of what I have, and generally okay with myself...why would I care if my beard makes me look a little older? Like, if I shave it, will I look 30 again?
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/18/2009 3:06:07 PM
Gosh, what if it doesn't make you look older OR younger? What if it just makes you look like *you*?

I, personally, happen to adore men with facial hair -- except for the goatee, and especially the goatee with a shaved head. At no time in my life did I ever think men were slaves to fashion until this particular fad hit. That said, I've known one man who wore one for what I'd consider a legit reason: his step father wore one, and he worshiped that man, so. . .

I personally want to thank the women who insist of clean shaven: it leaves *so many of the great ones* for those of us who demand neither direction, lol! I've talked to a number of bearded guys from PoF who were asked *at first face to face* if they'd be willing to shave off a beard of half a life time? Wassup with that girls? My hunny's had a full (and gorgeous, I might add) beard since his twenties. I don't believe he'd even know it was him in the mirror without it.

OPie, do as you like. I 'spect the right lady is NOT going to ask you to shave it. . . .

packleader
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/18/2009 3:41:45 PM
Who gives a rat what other women think about your facial hair..? The one woman you might be concerned with is the one currently in your life and even then...if she cant handle your style....well.........need I say more......find a woman that will accept you for who you are.I think a woman when confronted with a similar question {remember now..your talking about people over 45 who are more than likely set in their ways} would tell you to piss off if you did not like her choice of hairdo.Dress for yourself and not for the whim of others. JMO
 moraima
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2009 3:49:02 PM
"I've talked to a number of bearded guys from PoF who were asked *at first face to face* if they'd be willing to shave off a beard of half a life time? Wassup with that girls? "

Well, to start with we are women not girls who know what our personal preferences are. I wouldn't go on the first meet and greet with someone who had facial hair. I agree that asking someone to shave just isn't acceptable.

I often wonder if a lot of women have never had a relationship with a clean shaved man, so they don't know how enjoyable kissing and cuddling without being overwhelmed by facial hair is. I know I could never go back to the facial hair discomfort.

With some people having someone in their life is more important than being really comfortable physically with that person. After a while things start to annoy them such as the facial hair issue and they are off to the next relationship.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Facial hair on men over 45 - make them look older or younger - why?