Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > The Big Bang theory surely is the limit case ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Vancer
Msg: 2
The Big Bang theory surely is the limit case ? Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
It evolved out of the necessity to provide Cheez-it snacks.
I cannot reveal at this time what role the Cheez-it snacks will play, but it will be shortly after 'the company' comes over.
 MystifiedSoul
Msg: 3
The Big Bang theory surely is the limit case ?
Posted: 7/21/2009 6:43:03 AM
Thats pretty much it. It's a primordial point in time that was very hot (very) and exploded creating the universe as we know it. Just a huge mesh of super improbable coincedences coming together perfectly (depending on how you look at it). Yeah I think lll stick with my faith
 JustDukky
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/21/2009 7:56:58 AM
In 79 AD, vesuvius erupted and buried the people of Pompei under 60 feet of lava & volcanic ash. Please check the ultimate reason that this happened:

1- God hated the people of Pompei and wanted to kill them.

2- God so loved the people of Pompei that he wanted to take them to heaven by baking them to a crisp.

3- Don't ask why - it isn't our place to question the Will of God. What He does is right, no matter what we have the nerve to think.

4- The buildup of pressurized magma exceeded the volcanic mountain's ability to contain it and the mountain "blew it's top", killing everything near it with lava, ash and poison gas.

5- The people of Pompei lost the cosmic lottery and died as a result of bad luck.

If you checked 1,2, or 3, you are a religious fundamentalist.
If you checked 4, you are probably of a scientific mindset.
If you checked 5, you are probably a heathen, Godless, atheist monster capable of any sort of atrocity against the God fearing people of Earth! How DARE you consider the horrible death of so many innocent people simply a matter of "the luck of the draw" -- Obviously it was a divine act of God's LOVE.

Now, with respect to the creation of the universe, God did it using the Big Bang because he wanted a planet with some clay on it so He could create a man to appreciate all his hard work and to keep Him company (The angels were pretty boring and one in particular was getting "lippy" & asking too many questions about things.)

So, whatever the speculation or reason, God did it using the Big Bang. Are we all happy now? I guess we can all shut up about it because the ultimate truth has finally been told and we won't have to worry our little heads about the beginning of the universe anymore. I don't know why you wouldn't believe it in the first place; it was right there in Genesis for all to see, so why did you even waste your time asking questions & creating things like philosophy & science to look for answers?

What's so tough? Just follow the instruction books I gave you and I'll reward you with an eternity in heaven where you can have all the candy & lollipops you want without ever getting sick or fat. Just remember not to question my Will or my existence or I'll impale you on a spike in a place as hot as lava, where you will writhe in pain & agony for all eternity asking "why, Lord?". Dumb kid; you should know better than to ask questions about whether or not I LOVE you dearly. I'm just your Big Daddy, punishing you forever for being bad, so you won't do it next time.

See?...The existence, love and wisdom of God isn't bizarre at all; certainly not as bizarre as a universe just "popping into existence" without a God to create it.
 thrums
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2009 8:02:34 AM

OMG " it all sprang out of nothing in a single instant and for no apparent reason "

Not true! The Big Bang was only the starting point, the universe as we know it formed slowly over time and is still evolving(oops the E word!). Advanced telescopes, like Hubble, are capturing images of new galaxy's forming(actually what we see is ancient history as these images are from 1000's if light years away).
 AppleGeek
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2009 11:44:44 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

In quantum mechanics particles are appearing and disappearing all the time. "In the beginning" the first such particle appeared. Bang!
 abelian
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/22/2009 10:40:28 PM

The Universe as we know it ,sprang into existence in a single instant and for no apparent reason.

In science, we don't tell the universe how we think it should worlk. We look at the data and devise the best explanation for what we observe. We then test the explanation, because every theory will make additional predictions as a consequence of the premises. The big bang has survived all attempts to find something wrong with it. If that's how the universe works, that's how it works, no matter how difficult it is to conceive. Nature didn't ask for our input.
 JustDukky
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/22/2009 10:54:46 PM

In science, we don't tell the universe how we think it should work.

Didn't Bohr tell Einstein to stop telling God what to do?
 aremeself
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2009 11:14:25 PM
we might not know ever, but the bang works for me.

not without a little guidence though. come on, a little, at least! tiny bit?

hey, it not expanding randomly.

the universe is kinda flat, isn't it?

its not filling up space randomly.
 JustDukky
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/22/2009 11:23:49 PM
Why don't we just call the universe itself God and be done with it? Then everybody will be happy, won't they?
 aremeself
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2009 11:43:53 PM
hey dukky, don't be like that!
YOU won't be happy.

oops! I'm off topic!

uuummmmmmdaaaa, the op is kinda funny though. true, I think, but funny.
 rockondon
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2009 11:54:08 PM

In 79 AD, vesuvius erupted and buried the people of Pompei under 60 feet of lava & volcanic ash
OMG the lava sprang out in an instant and for no apparent reason?! The odds of such a simple natural phenomena are way too unlikely, I'll stick with my faith, thanks.
/sarcasm
 JustDukky
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/23/2009 6:25:21 AM

YOU won't be happy.

Nah!...I have a loooonnnggg list of other things to b!tch about; I'd hardly miss it.
OOPS!...I'm chatting!

I just feel lucky I wasn't living near the big bang that wiped out Pompei in 79AD.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/23/2009 6:40:25 AM
As opposed to...?
 JustDukky
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/23/2009 6:56:30 AM

As opposed to...?

...Living in "interesting" times (with lotsa beer in the fridge!)
 JustDukky
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/23/2009 7:38:34 AM

i find it hard to imagine of what you couldn't beleive in...

...I find it impossible to believe anything that doesn't make logical sense.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/23/2009 10:47:11 AM

then i find it hard to imagine of what you couldn't beleive in...

So your point would be...? The big bang has considerable observational evidence. Or are you suggesting that actual physical evidence of something is insufficient to support it's likelihood as a relevant and effective explanation?

And, again, it's not that cosmologists actually believe that there was nothing "before" the big bang. Possible existing preconditions are a legitimate and pursued avenue of research.
 MystifiedSoul
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/23/2009 11:10:09 AM
Woe now, the big bang has considerable observational evidence....lol thats funny seeing how it's a theory and far from factual data. The big bang is primarily a safety net for scientists and some Atheists to fall back on when they can't explain the beginning. The OP is just stating that he finds it funny for people to bash religion yet believe in some made up piece of bull like the Big Bang. I too believe I will stick to my Faith!
 JustDukky
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/23/2009 11:12:51 AM

thats funny seeing how it's a theory and far from factual data

How is it "far from factual data"? Do you have any factual data that suggests a different theory?
 aremeself
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2009 6:46:25 PM
yeah, it has to make logical sense.
thats why some of us don't like the bang with NO NUDGING involved.
you gotto give us that!
we are here now.
maybe most of us are conditioned to accept life as normal, but I am still totally in awe of it.
the mind definitely has to figure out all the crap though.
you can do it!
 Andy687
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2009 6:48:36 PM
Thats more bizarre then a god that sprang from nothing and created everything from nothing??
 Riki19
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/23/2009 7:30:46 PM
In quantum mechanics particles are appearing and disappearing all the time. "In the beginning" the first such particle appeared. Bang!

This is a very good hypothesis. We'll ignore- for the time being- the person that would say, "well where did the sub-atomic particle come from?", and we'll say that the universe can be likened to the sub-atomic particle. How, then do we test that this is the case? We can observe (albeit indirectly) the uncertainty principle, but we've only observed one universe, and we can't know what happened before...

We have no way to test.

I'm on your side, so don't take this post as argumentative, but a question posed by a fellow thinker.
 aremeself
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2009 7:33:48 PM
somebody in authority please help me out here, we are made out of nothing, are we not?

just rules governing protons electrons etc.

I mean, in essence we weigh nothing, unless we are close to a heavenly body, and then it varies all over the place.
 Vancer
Msg: 26
Posted: 7/23/2009 9:06:30 PM
Please do not think of the bang as stuff exploding out from nothing. Even the term Big Bang was created to mock the concept. I can't understand why that name was adopted.

As far as I know here is what the theory seems to be saying.
First there was a singularity. This state's origin is not something that can be discerned right now. Maybe more evidence is needed, or maybe it's already there and we haven't pieced it together just right.

This state began to rapidly expand. This expansion began to create disparate states.
How specifically these states first formed is still being explored.

The expansion began to decelerate. I read there is evidence the universe shows signs that it may have actually reached near stasis at some point. Then somehow expansion began again, and its acceleration has been increasing ever since.

What may happen in the future is still being debated.

Anyone in the know, if I am wrong or even slightly off on any of this, please have at it.
I need to know if I understand it well enough for a layman. As far as I am concerned the theory isn't saying everything that needs to be said about existence. It is only trying to make sense out of what we have observed so far.
It still leaves a lot of questions to be answered. Let's hope our journey here lasts a little longer.
 divagreen
Msg: 27
Posted: 7/23/2009 9:44:47 PM
I challenge anyone to come up with anything more bizarre than

Oh, let us try...

Let us explore the realm of mythology...

Stargoddess myth: The Divine looked into the vast emptiness of space, and saw a mirror reflection of herself, and perceiving her own beauty, masturbated and from her Her cosmic orgasim...Bang...the Multiverse was created...

or

God created Man in his own image...

or

Humans cannot believe in infinity, because we ourselves, are finite human beings...

or

Existence is based solely on the reasoning of the mind, and proof thereof is an intangible existence...

or

one can subscribe to one or all four thoughts, (and have many others), and act as if none of those are their own...
 countreekidd
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2009 10:36:09 PM
I don't know, but I think we should all be able to agree that there was NEVER a "time" when absolutely NOTHING existed. So SOMETHING has always existed, because common sense, and our best scientific minds will tell you, that you can't get something from nothing. That means that whatever is at the beginning of EVERYTHING, or the "source" if you will, has the power or ability to be self-existing all on its own.

Again, as was mentioned, that's hard for finite beings to grasp.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > The Big Bang theory surely is the limit case ?