Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > A connection between personality and how one treats their pets??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Pitch Blease
Msg: 4
A connection between personality and how one treats their pets??Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
^ Cute!

Not everyone. I treat animals way better than I treat people. I try to ignore people for the most part, but if they have a cute dog, I'm more open to talk to them. Then I'm disappointed when they open their mouth so I pet the dog and go.
 webmdtech
Msg: 5
view profile
History
A connection between personality and how one treats their pets??
Posted: 7/22/2009 1:51:23 PM
This is a cool thread. I always ask girls i meet here about thier pets and it melts my heart when they go on and on about them. Animals are awsome
 heartseekertrue
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/22/2009 2:50:02 PM
Great question from your observations, and i concur.

Seems reasonable that the way one treats others...is definitely proportionally related to how they treat people. Its deeper than merely positing that a kid who tortures cats is likely to grow up to be sociopath...or the person that overly dotes on their ragdoll kitten as surogate "family" at the exclusion of their own kin, but that the "relational template" is probably globalized within. How i view myself....directly corroborates how i view others...God (or whatever existential solution you ascribe to)...as well as the the "created" (or natural) order of things, for instance, "the environment".

Respect, or the lack of it, to all (living) things(including YOU)...can be gauged better imho by observation, and not necessarily verbal attestation. Watch how your "date" interacts with the waiter/tress...and you will get a good glimpse of this....
if i only show "respect" to one who has power or authority over me...its not truly respect.
 parklabrea
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2009 3:25:53 PM
The assumption is that we love our pets. If a person has pets but feels no emotional connection to them, they have a wire or two shorting out. If a person apparently loves their pets, yet abuses them, they have a twisted, vicious opinion of love. In either case, anyone who abuses animals is a sick, incomplete human being. They aren't worth the dirt under my shoes,
 Commonsens
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/22/2009 3:28:34 PM
Cruelty to animals is one characteristic of a sociopath. Not necessarily the whacko serial killer type sociopath, but your garden variety creep.

Landra2, absolutly right.

People who treat their pets in an abnormal way (starving, beating, ultra dominating and even the ones that dress/treat them overly as people or signing their home to them) is a clear sign of psychological or even psychiatric disorder.
 Commonsens
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/22/2009 3:30:58 PM
cattle are not pet...big diff.
 varinia
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/22/2009 5:45:00 PM
How someone treats their pets definitely has an effect on what I'd expect of them.

The people that I've met, who said that they don't like dogs (except for someone that may base that on a previous negative experience) all seemed to have problems giving and accepting emotions. Someone saying that they don't like animals would be a deal breaker for me.

The treatment in general shows a lot about their capacity for compassion or lack thereof.

I've also found that people that never set any boundaries for their animals tend to have a difficult time saying 'no' to people as well. Kind of a push over.
 junipermoon
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2009 6:18:01 PM
i maintain that you can determine quite a bit about an entire society by how it treats animals.

and, yes, that applies to individuals as well. for example, anyone who goes up in an airplane with the express purpose of shooting as many animals as possible most definitely has a screw loose.
 looptex1
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2009 6:49:07 PM
I thought I had heard it all, until now.
Judging someone by the way they treat their animals is about as stupid as starting a fire with water.
Let me tell you about someone I know.
This man hunted, and when his dogs done what they were supposed to do, trained to do they were rewarded.
But when the dogs didnt do what they were supposed to do, or barked in the pens at night they got whipped.
And I dont mean just a tap, I mean to the point of the dogs yelping like they were dying.
I hunted with this person when I was younger and at times when I would see this I would even cry and feel sorry for these dogs.
I wvwn seen this man sprinkle the dogs with pellets from a shotgun.
This man, if a dog wasnt any good at what is was bred to do he would dispose of the dogs instead of selling to someone knowing they were not any good.
The dogs were watered and fed daily, but they were not walked daily, didnt have human communication daily, they stayed in a pen year round.
By todays standards as animal rights groups would have it, it was animal abuse.
According to all of you here this man should have been the type of person who hit his children, screamed and yelled at his wife, and that would be only if he spent time with then.
Just a bad person all together according to the way you say someone treats animals and humans the same.
Now let me tell you how this man treated people.
when he and his wife married and had 4 children of their own, they adopted 4 children who lived down the street after their mom died and dad was a alcoholic and couldnt keep them.
Fought for over 2 years to gather these kids back together after the state sent 2 to south ga, and 2 to texas.
While raising 8 kids now, several times a friend or relative had hard times and needed a place to stay and were welcomed into his house.
I know of 5 that stayed with him and his family, some for months and some years.
This man worked everyday and side jobs a night so his family would be took care of, never taking vacations or buying for himself because he was afraid something would happen to him and the family left behind would be without.
This man would see a stranger having troubles and offer any help he could.
This man wouldnt raise his voice to anyone, unless you were talking about or threatening his family and those he loved.
This man taught his children, and his grandchildren right from wrong.
He taught them things like morals, honesty, respect, compassion.
To treat people the way you wanted to be treated, to be a good neighbor and a true friend.
This man talked the talk and certainly walked the walk.
This man, while on his dying bed cried and said, who will watch over momma and the kids..(his youngest kid was 38)
Had no thoughts for himself while dying, just worried about his family.
I call BS on the assuption you can judge a person by the way they treat animals.
I saw this man and how he at times treated animals, and I also saw how he treated his family and friends for he was my father.
He passed away almost a year ago now, and he was by far the most caring,honest and fair person I have ever met. (to humans)
Not because he was my dad, but because it is true.
most people know the differance between a animal and a human, and will treat each accordingly.
And then there are some that think animals should have rights like humans.
But I will tell you what you can judge someone by.
How much they talk and judge other people, seems there is alot of that goes on here on POF.
I hope I can raise and teach my kids some of what he taught me.
 Sabrosura
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/22/2009 7:19:04 PM

t's true... one of the first things I do when I get a new girlfriend is show her where the newspapers are so she can go pee... put a chain around her neck and walk her around the block... She has to learn that she's not to pull on the chain...
Eventually, I will teach her how to fetch, and how to sit up and beg...
If she's well behaved she gets to sleep on my bed.

OMG! That's too funny, mChurch!!!
 bcsofnc57
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/22/2009 7:22:55 PM
looptex1 I have no doubt your father was a good person. I have seen the way people treat hunting dogs and sorry but it is just awful. I also know that dispose of a dog, means to kill it. I am also glad that there are people who at least attept to save these "no good dogs".

The way I see it, we are meant to be the most intellegent animal and as a result we are meant to be the care takers of the rest. Of course I can tell the difference from a human and other animals. It is very simple, humans don't always respond to kindness with kindness. With other animals if you are good to them, they will be good to you. Other animals are more loyal than humans. Yes the difference is very clear to me.

I could not be with a man that was not kind to other animals. If my cats don't like you, then it won't work.
 looptex1
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2009 7:28:32 PM
Countrygal, no it didnt leave scars or anything of the sort.
I was young and very tender hearted and I just felt for the dogs.
I didnt understand.
After training sever dogs of my own, I understand.
And also realize that what hurts me and you a animal doesnt even feel because of the skin..
But that is another story all together..
And yes I realize that isnt the only way people judge, but what I get from this thread is just that.
If these posters on this thread see your animal get a whipping or your animal didnt act just right there were running for the door..
 beautifuldancer400
Msg: 33
Posted: 7/22/2009 7:28:47 PM
I'm not sure there is always a direct connection but I am sure I would NEVER date someone who mistreated or neglected their pet.

Sabrosura
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/22/2009 7:29:59 PM
OP: A person that has/loves animals is a good indicator that they are empathetic, caring, nurturing, etc....towards animals, and typically with others. I have had to end a relationship because the man did not want my four-legged kids in his "space".

I was floored, as he wanted to be in a LTR with me, but my dogs aren't going anywhere anytime soon unless they go to Doggy Heaven.
 varinia
Msg: 35
Posted: 7/22/2009 7:30:12 PM
" see your animal get a whipping or your animal didnt act just right there were running for the door."

you bet, and I"d be on the phone to animal control!!!
 Monkey_brains
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/22/2009 7:38:36 PM
I sometimes forget to feed my goldfish Mr. Wideload....my bad......I have much guilt over it...

but yeah...kinda goes with the whole old people and dogs thing....gotta be nice to 'em.....
 looptex1
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2009 7:52:49 PM
bcsofnc57, II understand and admit that alot of people go overboard with their ways of traing, and yes sometimes I would even say it is abuse that another way of training is needed.
As for dispose of meaning kill, yes you are right. It does mean to kill them.
What you do not understand is this.
Hunting dogs are bred to hunt, that is what they love to do. It isnt fair to the dog to just be put up in a pen or in a house when it gets is pleasure from hunting.
Now there is dogs that enjoy just sitting around, but if you have been around many hunting dogs you can tell when they are the happiest.
There is so many dogs bred each year, not only by hunting dogs, but by show dogs and just people wanting to have a puppy.
This doesnt even take into account all the strays that are roaming the neighborhood and breeding.
As for the hunting dogs, no hunter is going to take a hunting dog that isnt any good.
So now you have several choices.
you give the dog to someone that doesnt hunt and the dog never gets to live the life that it was bred to live.
It is sitting in a house or a pen miserable, wishing it was out hunting.
Or you take it to the animal shelter, where we all know that 90 percent of them are put to sleep because of people not choosing them.
Or you dispose of them at a young age.
I know this sound harsh, but in reality it is a good thing..
It would take several pages to explain how and why culling is a good thing.
As for your cats liking me, I have never had a cat like me. Why? I dont know, but I have come across very few dogs that didnt..
 varinia
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/22/2009 8:02:15 PM
looptex - I don't even know what to write about this. Unvelievable.....I'm so glad that I left Georgia far behind me.......
 looptex1
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2009 8:08:40 PM
Varinia, Just what are you going to tell them?
my dogs were barking all night keeping you awake and when I whipped them to make them hush so you could go to sleep, you just couldnt take it?
had you rather not sleep?
Or my dogs chased your cat up a tree and when I whipped them to make them leave it alone you couldnt take it?
you would rather take the chance on them getting your cat?
No, if my dogs bark all night you are going to call and complain saying I cant control my dogs and they are keeping you awake.,,,but you are the reason I can control them for fear of you calling animal control..
Or,, you are going to call animal control claiming my dog is trying to kill your cat and I cant control my dogs.....again your the reason I cant control my dogs for fear of you calling animal control.....
And while I'm at it people like you are the same ones complaining about kids not having respect, about the kids in school that are trouble makers and fighting or just disrupting class....But at the same time you threaten to call dept. of family and children services is I whip them...
you call animal control, but when someones dog does kill your cat remember, you are the reason they didnt teach their dogs to leave it alone.
and you call the dept. of family and children services,,,but when a young kids picks on your child, or a teenager cusses you out or shoves you out of their way in the store, or a older teenager breaks into your house or car and steals from you or just vandilizes your property....remember you are the one that prevented their parents from teaching them better,,
And by the way, This is not a personal attact on you although I did say you alot in this post..
 varinia
Msg: 44
Posted: 7/22/2009 8:13:01 PM
Wow.....are you actually reading the stuff you're writing?

I'm really glad that these posts follow you around on your profile and in your posting history. Every woman coming in contact with you should read this.
 looptex1
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2009 8:27:13 PM
ok, I will try to remember what i read and reply..
as for my post a dog not feeling like we feel...
Do you honestly think that the skin of a dog is as tender as a human?
Then why can I give shots to my dogs every year, and every few weeks as pups and they not even flinch?
you give a child a shot and they scream, why is that? you think on that one.
I didnt say they couldnt feel, I said what might hurt you and I wouldnt hurt them,,heck hunting dogs RUN through briars, fall off logs and rocks and bluff and keep on going where you or I would be begging for someone to get us out of there..
As for them yelping and not being hurt, I can and do use a paper poke alot when training my dogs, and guess what? They will yelp everytime the poke hits them because of the sound..you dont have to hurt a animal to train it, just get its attention.
they do just like a kid does before they get a whipping, they will start to cry before they have been touched..
And countrygal, since you worked in a rescue, you should know but probaly want admit to how many unwanted dogs there are. You want admit the cost of keeping these dogs until they finally have to be disposed of by the animal control center.
As for culling a dog, rather than it doing what it is happy doing..
Yes, I would..
culling if done right, leaves only the best of the bred. Thus all dogs will get a home.
thus cost are cut down on animal control, moneys used to dispose of them at a later time by ones APPROVED to dispose of them.
It cuts down on the strays wandering around and possibly tearing up your garbage, attacting your smaller animnals, or even attacting you small childer because they are hungry or even wild at this point..
I will make a deal with you, I will never cull another dog and even go to all breeders I know and tell them not to cull if you will take ALL dogs and keep or find a home for them..
you love dogs, and so do I. But we both no that you could never even come close to taking care of or finding homes for all the unwanted dogs..
So tell me which is best,
leaving them on the side of the road to fend for themselves or culling them?
Now put aside you opinion of how wrong it is to cull and tell me which is better for the dog?
 looptex1
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2009 8:33:28 PM
countrygal, its not rationalizing anything it is the truth.
As for these post following me as one stated, that does not bother me.
I had rather have someone that understood the differance in training and abuse and doesnt expect me to treat my animals better than most treat their kids..
As for not wanting to be one of my animals, you couldnt be so lucky.
 looptex1
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2009 8:36:35 PM

There are not enough pages that would ever explain how that could be a good thing. Oh wait, on second thought, they definetly should have culled the herd when you were born!
exactly what I was talking about earlier, someone that thinks an animals live is more valuable than a humans.....
And being the polite person I am I will not do what most would do in this case..
 varinia
Msg: 49
Posted: 7/22/2009 8:39:23 PM
"doesnt expect me to treat my animals better than most treat their kids."

....since you admit to hitting your kids as well (in your posting history) I guess , this confirms the original theory of the OP. And since people seem to only do that when their parents have done that to them, then your dad probably also proved that theory.
 looptex1
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2009 8:40:31 PM
countrygal, I would stop breeding. But I have some very good hunting dogs and I do only breed to dogs with desirable traits so I have to breed evry once in a while.
I only bred about every 2 years or so just to keep myself a good dog and good bloodlines..
I rarely have to cull because of this and my dogs to go to good people that takecare and hunt their dogs..
Although my post say I think culling is a good thing, I dont have to do it much at all.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > A connection between personality and how one treats their pets??