Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > What made 60's music so great?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SalinShoes
Msg: 2
What made 60's music so great?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
The music of the 60's was the beginning of a new direction or a break out from the manufactured , safe love songs of the 50's...The English having their own underground movemnents such as the "Mods" and the Rockers, two very different groups living lifestyles opposed to one another gave birth to different types and approaches to Rock and Roll..Example...The Kinks being "Mods" and The Who being"Rockers"...This quickly enriched the music scene in the Caverns of Liverpool.
The English also took the better influences of American Rock and Blues incorperating
it into their own interpations...Bottom line, there was much more creative music being written and played in England than the States...Hendrix had to go to England to make it...
Meanwhile in the States there was also change, it was called "Psychedelic" music...
Bands like the Airplane, Blues Magoos,Sir Douglas Quintet,Electric Prunes, The Dead and of course the Haight Asbury thing.....Change was in the air, music reflected change and a new outlook. This was happening in Europe as well as America .
The 60's gave birth to highly creative musicans, more so in England. Eric Clapton leaves John Mayall and put's together Cream, Steve Wynwood leaves Spencer Davis and starts Traffic and later Blind Faith, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, the list goes on...
The 60's marked a departure from the norm in Rock and Roll and the beginning of
a new exciting and creative path. The 70's are a shinning example.....
The 60's were a magical time, a time of hope, of change and courage of which the music reflected.....
 Rob_SA
Msg: 3
What made 60's music so great?
Posted: 7/22/2009 10:27:06 PM
I'm 51. I had this conversation with my sister who is 7 years older and a cousin who is 9 years older. I often sat at their feet listening to their music during the 60's, and of course I relate best to the 70's music of my teens.

Both my sister and the female cousin said it was the transistor radio and The Pill. No longer was the radio a valve mantel set sitting in the loungeroom. You didn't have to listen to Mum and Dad's choice of programming, you could listen to what you wanted to, which was generally less formal music than their parent's croony easy listening stuff.

And with the advent of The Pill females had the choice to be the person they wanted to, hence flower power, the summer of love etc. I guess we blokes didn't realise what a difference the pill made.
 rickxyz
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/23/2009 8:15:56 AM
you might want to add "melody" and seperated stereo recordings. If you go back and listen to that "easy listening" stuff now, you'll discover some incredible jazz based pop...
 GabrielWhispers
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/23/2009 9:42:06 AM
All music is a sort of reflection of the moral and social consciousness of its time. The music made in the 60s reflects one of the most definitive decades in word history, particularly in the USA, beginning with the election of Kennedy to the Cuban missle crisis to the Kennedy assination to Viet Nam to Nixon and Watergate to Woodstock and the end of the flower era. Pop music, like the history, went through leaps and bounds in the 60s, growing from the whimsy of the 50s to the psychaedelic revolution to the advent of new and more aggressive forms of rock towards the latter part of the decade. We literally went from Elvis and Love Me Tender to Led Zepplin and Whole Lotta Love. And in between came the most astounding star that ever blazed the heavens of pop music and forever changed the way we look at the world, The Beatles...that all by itself made the 60s special, but then there was Jimi, Janis, Mick, and all the other legends, and well, you get the picture.

On a side note, to those trying to kill this thread because the OP doesnt agree with you on a matter that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, for all the stuff you guys spewed about "love", you're really exposing yourselfs as hypocrits.

To the OP, rock on brother, you have a right to your opinion even if they don't like it.
 rickxyz
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/23/2009 10:18:32 AM
Great post Gabriel...people are trying to delete this for "attention"? Wow, what could be more important than talking about the evolution of music, deleters step off!
 WindRoper
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/23/2009 11:55:47 AM
As one Rodney Crowell lover to another, I submit that better lyrics contributed to making 60s music great. Sure, you could still listen to bubble gum crap. Even The Beatles recorded some crap like that. But social relevancy came to the forefront, evenly rather covertly in some material like The Stones' "Satisfaction."
 epeavey
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/23/2009 4:03:45 PM
My theory: The music back then both reflected and was a product of the social environment. Has there ever been a period of such social, political, and cultural upheaval? Not that I recall.

Civil rights, the Vietnam war, the Cold War...assassinations, massacres on college campuses (Charles Whitman and Kent State, for example), serial killings (Manson, Zodiac)...the youth of America had so much to be passionate about, and the musicians of that era represented and focused that passion.

Soul music was never better, either, for the exact same reasons. I contend it started with Sam Cooke's A Change is Gonna Come, but all that great, soulful dance music was no less political. It represented and reflected the liberation black men and women were feeling in the 60's. The shouts and screams of James Brown, Otis Redding, Sam and Dave, and Wilson Pickett may very well have been cries of freedom.

This may be overanalyzing the music, but never has any music been more sociologically richer.

Jd
 marc_the_crepe
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/23/2009 5:25:38 PM
Simon & Garfunkel made it great ;)
 bucknaked218
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/23/2009 6:48:59 PM
Richard Milhouse Nixon and the drugs that were ingested to forget him.
 Snapington
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/23/2009 9:47:56 PM
What makes sixties music seem so great is that no one remembers all the crap that was around. If you are realistic about it there is always a great amount of bad stuff. I listen to records I liked at the time and sometimes they are still good sometimes they don't hold up. Many of the great songs were still written by pro songwriters like Carol King, Neil Diamond, Boyce and Hart, Smokey Robinson and many others almost all the soul music was covers. But then I write songs myself and have a different standard. There is no one decade that has a lock on greatness just great songs and great versions of songs.
 Snapington
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/23/2009 9:51:57 PM
What makes sixties music seem so great is that no one remembers all the crap that was around. If you are realistic about it there is always a great amount of bad stuff. I listen to records I liked at the time and sometimes they are still good sometimes they don't hold up. Many of the great songs were still written by pro songwriters like Carol King, Neil Diamond, Boyce and Hart, Smokey Robinson and many others almost all the soul music was covers. But then I write songs myself and have a different standard. There is no one decade that has a lock on greatness just great songs and great versions of songs.
 Snapington
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/24/2009 7:29:46 AM
I stand by my comment and add that you made my point for me. Everyone that writes of the sixties music writes about the same ten bands. I guess all the experimentation with music during the fifties was over your head because it was jazz or even Rockabilly. If one takes a stilted view of music as being neatly divided by decades and genres.
Just because your oldies station doesn't play free jazz or be-bop and hard bop you wouldn't know how the rock musicians were affected by what they heard when you were a baby or not even born yet.
For example you say Hendrix was some great player but he just really jumped on every new effect box in the store, Listen to Linc Ray or Johnny Burnett and you'll hear where Jimmy coped that distortion sound. Jimmy Page? Led Zep were just song thieves who ripped off black bluesmen along with most of the british "blues" bands. Beachboys covered Jan and Dean, before Pet Sounds they were just another surfer band.
Ethnic styles and instruments? Listen to the Rock and Roll trio and Bo Diddly and Gene Vincent all did crazy ethnic rock in the fifties. Everything evovles, music flows from one musician to another I have been influenced by everrything I've ever heard whether I like it or not. And as far as protest songs go maybe you need some Woody Guthrie songs in there too.
 rickxyz
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/24/2009 8:29:34 AM
Snapington thats pure bs....to dismiss Hendrix and Zep like that is just not true. Sure everybody borrows or has influences, but to ignore the innovation or the new style by these bands is just wrong. You're the same age as me, did anybody really sound like hendrix before that? I'm talking style, forget the boxes.....did anybody really sound like zepplin before that, I don't think so. Jimmy Page almost invented riff rock, if you listen to his style he's the least blues based player compared to his friends like Clapton....how about songs like "the ocean" ya going to tell me he ripped that off from blind lemon Johnson or whatever?
I agree from a songwriting perspective, there are great tunes being created in all eras, especially by staff writers.....the difference these days is just total lack of melody, todays music is much better recorded but its just linear.
 WindRoper
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/24/2009 11:52:18 AM

Rap is nearly devoid of melody and lyrics about how all the bee-yatchs love me cuz I'm so rich

But there are exceptions, i.e., "Where Is The Love" by the Blackeyed Peas... never mind Fergie's hump and lovely lady lumps. LOL! I don't mean to imply ALL of any artists' stuff is good.

It's hard for me to understand how young women of today love to hear about what sex objects they are.

While I agree in general and even admit that some girls do listen to and seem to like such crap (possibly cuz they can't quite understand what is be enunciated so poorly... LOL!), not all rap is like that.
Eminem can get pretty d*** offensive. I've heard there's much worse by others but I can't understand a word they're saying. I do have to give Eminem props for some of his stuff. I've often said if he'd just grow up a lil' more and write more serious stuff instead of the jokes and flame wars set to music, he could be like the Dylan of his generation.
 marc_the_crepe
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/24/2009 4:46:44 PM

Today, Rap is nearly devoid of melody and lyrics

Sure, maybe what their playing on Top 40 radio and MTV. That rap music never really got through to me. There is a little Hip-Hop group from the U.K. 'Herbaliser' that blends jazz, funk, hip-hop, rap and soul into one. You really have to dig deep to get to the good stuff.. luckily in the sixties, quite alot of the good stuff ruled the charts, and 'floated to the top' while a good lot of garbage was left behind.

I never grew up in the sixties, but i'd imagine that because their was a sense of revolution among the youth, captured by artists of the time like Beatles, the Airplane and ..yes i'm going to say it, Simon and Garfunkel.. had a lasting effect on those who had first been introduced to it, and though some of the music may seem dated now, the message in it is still alive and strong, and can be applied to any cause. I'll admit I had a phase in high school where I dug into the airplane, and I could really feel what they were going for!
 Uncle Fist
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/24/2009 6:03:53 PM
I'm sure I'm not going to make any friends by saying this, but I generally find most '60s music to be pretty unappealing. I'm sure had I grown up in that era, it would have been all kinds of exciting to me. But comparatively to that which came before and has come sense, I just don't find much of it to be all that interesting.

However, the influence it had to subsequent music I can definitely appreciate.
 junipermoon
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2009 7:07:39 PM
However during that era we had never witnessed b4 the broadening of our artistic horizons to such an extent.

try listening to prokofiev. without innovators like him and mozart, we wouldn't have what we do now. mozart pushed the envelope, turning the spotlight on instruments no one ever used as features. he used melodies borrowed from folk songs, a practice unheard of in his day. and those scale modulations you find in prokofiev turned the musical world on its collective ear. and rarely did you hear anything so percussive (except with stravinsky).

so, while i love what came out of the 1960s, i'd never say that artists never explored the range of the art form to 'such an extent' before. mozart, prokofiev and, for that matter, stravinsky as well, elevated music and expanded where it could go.
 Snapington
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/25/2009 1:04:43 PM
International Velvet,
I made no aspersion to your lack of deep musical knowlege. I wasn't just dropping names but pointing out specific artists that played ethnic syled rock songs, I just pointed out what I thought was the fact that there was plenty of off the wall stuff in the 50's and music grows organicly through the culture. After every tumultuous time like a major war or economic upheaval there is a release of creativity and desire in the youth to rebel against the status quo. This is evident from the American Civil War through the "Gay 90s" there were a number of songs and plays and books about the same themes of the 60's as far as speaking out for rights and against war. Again after the First World War in the "Roaring 20's " the wild youth changing society(women getting the vote, short and tight clothes ect.) with open hedonism and "Crazy Jazz".
I have spent a lot of time studying and listening to the music of the western peoples. From the first "pop" songwriter Stephen Foster on. Foster also wrote about war and bad times and change. I see no need to make like the 60's were a mythical time never seen before but just the swing into a hedonistic time after a conservative one although with a huge population due to the baby boom of which I am a member and it looks like it was just all talk or singing as here I sit in the US and the hippies all went yuppie, war didn't end and the environment is in the dunny. I hold most of the values espoused by the youth movement in the 60's. I still live the life and most don't unless the rampant materialism and greed I see everywhere is my imagination.
 marc_the_crepe
Msg: 26
Posted: 7/25/2009 6:56:55 PM

Look at the attempts to resurrect the atmosphere of the original Woodstock with Woodstocks II and III. It's impossible.

I agree! They even used the same slogan, just altered abit like "3 MORE days of Peace and Music" Though I heard there were riots, and violent deaths too!

But you have to remember, they had Jimi Hendrix, Janis and the whole deal. We had Limp Bizkit and Jamiroquai (though you would think Jamiroquai would have caused more peace then anything)
 Snapington
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/26/2009 9:13:37 AM
Late, you get it. The lowest common denominator AKA the dumber the song the more people can relate to it.
 Snapington
Msg: 30
What made 60's music so great?nds like
Posted: 7/27/2009 7:42:04 PM
Well just to say self contained bands/ songwriters were around before the brits came over here. When you talk about the pop singers doing the tin pan alley songs are we really talking about rock'n'roll or corporate radio? A lot of the fifties rock bands did their own songs and covers at the same time. Chuck Berry, Bo Diddly, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Rock And Roll Trio, Gene Vincent And His Blue Caps and even the Beach Boys wrote at least some originals and played their own instruments long before the british invasion.
Both the Beatles and the Rolling Stones started out as cover bands infact the Stones had to be forced into writing.
Now we can dance around the facts and our aussie friend can drop a few more names ( BTW,I went out with the northeast regional marketing manager of Universal, a territory with ten times the population of Australia) but if you don't know who wrote "Turn,Turn,Turn" and from where the inspiration came from with out googling it you are not knowlegable about the sixties at all.
Trendsetters have always been around the sixties examples off the top of my head
Carnaby street fashions, Mods, Mersey Beat/Skiffle, Surfers, George Martin, pop art.
People are copycats and followers they are always led. You have a very narrow view of the history of the music and culture of the sixties as indicated in your original post when you write about "race records" more of a thirties thing and white youth without knowing that in the northeast there was none of that deep south racism in the music scene. And I know guys that were in the music business during the late fifties and early sixties I have some old friends.
 2ears1mouth
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/28/2009 5:01:24 AM
A convergence of influences and technological developments in a time of turmoil and change created a situation that was very ripe for innovation and inspiration.

Not to say there wasn't a lot of crap then, as in any era. But the great stuff certainly was.
 Snapington
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/28/2009 12:24:00 PM
Well international if you work for Sony/BMG and you are in Melbourne you aren't even in the Aussie headquarters and why would a major with corporate HQ in New York be working global out of a state office?
Are you for real about black acts not being represented?
Whether Chuck Berry or Little Richard or any number of Doo Wop groups they had a much bigger market share than the 14% of the population they made up. That means lots of white kids bought their records. It might have taken a few more years to reach the backwaters of Australia but black music was readily available in the US.

"The teenagers of the 1950s desegregated popular music but not consciously. Teenagers just liked the sounds. They didn't think much about the fact that so many rock 'n roll singers were black. When we saw the rock 'n roll movies like "Don't Knock the Rock" (1956),"Go, Johnny, Go," and "The Girl Can't Help It" (perhaps the guys were too focused on the endowments of Jayne Mansfield to notice the singers!) , we saw blacks but thought little of it except that we were glad to hear singers we liked. Some of us were surprised to learn that Bobby Day who sang "Rockin' Robin" and Wilbert Harrison who sang "Kansas City" in a rockabilly style were black. Everyone knew that Nat King Cole and the Mills Brothers were black; they had been appearing in "white" venues for years; they were a part of our childhood. We also knew that Johnny Mathis was, perhaps because his beautiful ballads made him acceptable to adults as well as teenagers. The music we liked existed independently of society as far as we were concerned. Even the teenagers I knew who were furious about the Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka [Kansas] (1954) decision didn't make disparaging remarks about "black" performers. " Source:http://historicaltextarchive.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=738

BTW for your information the folkie Pete Seeger wrote Turn,Turn,Turn based on a psalm from the bible.
 Dr. Gazebo
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/28/2009 6:07:16 PM
We need to remember that for every Jimi Hendrix doing Purple Haze, we had a dozen Tony Orlando and Dawn's singing mindless ditties like "Knock 3 times on the ceiling if you want me....."

For every Traffic hit, we also had on "little teenie tiny teenie, yellow polka dot bikini"

For every seminal hit like "Wipeout" we had a variety of cheesy hits like Tommy James and the Shondells singing "Crimson and Clover" through a vibrato setting on an amp.

For ever Janice Joplin we had also the insipid music of Anne Murray who went on to advertise for CIBC.

The music of the 60s and 70s, while often iconoclastic, was often reduced to disgusting pap as well.

If you dont beleive me listen the chart topping hit...Sugar Sugar by the Archies.

I think music today is just as good and just as informed.
 rickxyz
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/30/2009 3:25:48 PM
Did the kids/bands of today put their Iphones down long enough to protest the Iraq war? Of course not, but the subject is always good enough for a cheesy hook in a country song.....
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > What made 60's music so great?