Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > question: why do jehova's witness's seem to be so pushy not judging      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GypsyGirl
Msg: 10
question: why do jehova's witness's seem to be so pushy not judging just a questionPage 1 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
I think JWs appear pushy because most people do not clearly say they are not interested. They smile, take the magazine and then hope the JWs know not to come back.

Part of their way of life, as Jehovah Witnesses, is to spread the "word of god" and the most efficeint way to do this is by going door-to-door.

For years, JWs would show up at my door monthly. I like reading the Watchtower and other mag. and sometimes we would chat. When the visits became weekly and then more often, I would take the mags, not chat but not discourage them either, for whatever stupid reason. After a month of listening to me complain, hubby finally told them I wasn't interested in converting, just liked reading their stuff. The next time they showed up they asked me about this. Once they heard it from me, they stopped showing up so often. Now we have a nice relationship of a visit once every two months and no chatting except to ask about the kids or if I have a question.
 cudahudson
Msg: 14
question: why do jehova's witness's seem to be so pushy not judging just a question
Posted: 7/17/2005 7:59:42 PM
My former wife is a JW. In all my years being married and associating with her friends I have never know them to be pushy, as a matter of fact they are told not to be pushy, they don'y sit outside and stake out houses nor do they peep into windows to see if you are home. All you have to do if you don't want them to return is to request that thy take your address off their list and it will be removed. As far as another post on here made about them bombarding you, they ddon't do that either. Even though I never became a Witness I admire their dedication and their faith.
 peaceful_hermit
Msg: 17
question: why do jehova's witness's seem to be so pushy not judging just a question
Posted: 7/18/2005 2:07:52 AM
The Jehovah's Witnesses is basically a doomsday cult. I know that statement may be viewed as offensive to some readers, and I don't mean to step on any toes, but it's important to understand what the Jehovah's Witnesses are really about since they're out aggressively recruiting the unsuspecting and possibly even your own children.

The Jehovah's Witnesses was originally called "Zion's Watch Tower Tract Society", founded by Charles Taze Russell who was born in 1852. He was not educated beyond the seventh grade, he had no theological training, and knew neither Greek nor Hebrew (which shouldn't necessarily matter, but is interesting considering that he wrote a book entitled "Studies in the Scriptures" which is considered a sacred text by the cult). He claimed that Jesus would return in 1874 and that Armageddon would commence in 1914. Russell later told his followers that this timetable had somehow been reset to 1918. Needless to say, the prophesy never unfolded, but that never caused anyone's faith to waver (which is common with the cult mindset) or for the next leader, Joseph Franklin Rutherford, from making his own wild prophesies such as that Abraham, Isaac and Jacob would be resurrected in 1925 to rule as princes over the earth. (It was under Rutherford, in 1931, that the name "Jehovah's Witnesses" was adopted.) After Rutherford, the group started producing anonymously published material (produced by various cultic leaders in the hierarchy), which continued with wild prophetic claims up til 1975.

Vice President Nathan Homer Knorr inherited the presidency upon Rutherford's death in 1942. He's basically the one that turned the door to door thing into what we see today. Before, followers would carry a portable phonograph from house to house, playing recordings of Rutherford's lectures at people's doorsteps, but Knorr took this to another level by starting training programs for the average Jehovah's Witness on how to speak persuasively in their own right. So that's why they're able to argue for hours on end, they're trained to do so; it's not that they're really that passionate about the particular cultic belief system.

Jehovah's Witnesses still believe in doomsday, they just don't hammer out solid dates anymore. The organization is very controlling. Jehovah's Witnesses that question the beliefs of the all-knowing hierarchy ("the elders") of the group are "dis-fellowshipped" (many other infringements can get one DFed as well). This is a process where you're invited to a meeting including your family and friends, and they basically all tell you that you're no good and that they no longer want to have anything to do with you anymore. Family and friends are then encouraged not to associate with the person any more. This can be particularly devastating for those that are born into a Jehovah's Witness family, and it serves as a great fear tactic to keep the flock in line as you view these public social executions.

Please think on these things the next time a Jehovah's Witness knocks on your door. (I encourage you to squirt them with a garden hose if they get near your kids or other loved ones.) For more information, there's tons of info on the Net on them, and many well populated cult recovery message boards dealing specifically with this group.
 cudahudson
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/18/2005 11:58:27 AM
peaceful...You researched, so did I. That is one of the reasons I did not become a Witness. I questioned Elders about what I read and all they could say was, We are human, we make mistakes. I then ask about the Scripture " he will come as a thief in the night, no one witl know the day or the hour." No good answer was given me. I do agree however that our world will end one day. but have no idea when. No one does. They even built a huge house for the return of Abraham, Issac And Jacob. Later sold it with the explination that Jehovah changed the time of this return to give His people more time to preach.
In all religions there are certain quirks or whatever you want to call them that are not according with the origional scripture. They preach against divorce, even tell them that according to scripture not too because the scripture says that one day the unbelieving spouse may convert. The only grounds for divorce was adultry, I didn't committ adultry and am divorced, no punishment was given her, usually a Witness is "reproved" for a violation of the scripture. Seems they change their rules according to how the elders deem fit to change tham and then they say that they " were guided by Jehovah" And the leaders in New York that head their people are considered " The Chosen" And whatever comes out of New York is law. I still respect their dedication.
 peaceful_hermit
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/18/2005 3:01:18 PM
PH: I encourage you to squirt them with a garden hose if they get near your kids or other loved ones.

Garf: That's assault, it's illegal. Don't do it.

That was my attempt at humor to lighten the issue up a bit. But taking a look at the issue in a serious light, to say it's assault sounds iffy to me, but perhaps it could technically be considered such in some states. Although I can't imagine many judges not throwing the charge out if someone was squirt with a hose on property where they where asked to leave.
 peaceful_hermit
Msg: 26
Posted: 7/18/2005 3:30:03 PM
Garf wrote:

they used to drive around with the loudspeaker on the roofs of vans

Hey, like the Blues Brothers.

Sorry to hear about your mom, some serious dedication there.
 peaceful_hermit
Msg: 28
 Dei Gratia
Msg: 33
Posted: 7/22/2005 5:41:01 PM
chopper seems to me your mind is working overtime...I had this happen once too till my neighbor said it was his kids in the car because they got home late.....LOL
 peaceful_hermit
Msg: 35
Posted: 7/24/2005 3:24:11 AM
Good point about the blood transfusions. I don't think this has been brought up before about the JWs in the thread here. It's an important note.

Out of all of the JW's colorful interpretations of the Bible, the one on blood transfusions is probably the worst and most irrational. Blood transfusions of course did not exist during Biblical times, and if they did, I doubt Jesus or any of the authors of the books of the Bible would have anything to say against it.

The idea behind not accepting blood transfusions is to "not spill any blood from another". JWs are getting overly caught up in the wording, and not seeing the original meaning of the statement. The idea is not to cause physical harm to others. This has nothing whatsoever to do with blood transfusions. Blood used for blood transfusions is donated by free will to help others in need. There's nothing violent about it; it's an act of giving. Since JW Elders can't even make such an obvious distinction, in what other areas are they making very bad calls?

The people hit the hardest by this are children brought up as JWs that come in need of a blood transfusion to save their life. A lot of innocent people, thinking that they're doing right, die by the irrational dictates of an authoritarian cult. If there's any "spilling of blood" taking place, it's on the hands of the JW Elders, and on the hands of parents that give their children death sentences as they fearfully cling to the dogma of a dangerous cult and value that over the lives of their children.

So when those JWs come knocking on your door, coming to save your soul and the soul of your family, be aware that they bring the Grim Reaper with them. They come peddling death as well.
 fujianguy
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/27/2005 8:33:14 PM
I am a Christian and believe JW is a cult. I was exposed to a man at work while no other workers were around. He launched into a memorized script for about a thirty minute period. He had a memorized script to answer each of my objections. It was all brainwashed answers and I don't know if he really understood what he was saying. It was answers that were spoken word for word like a robot with no logic to it. It seemed to me like brainwashing. He went on this long rant, and finally the conversation ended.
 tyme_gypsy
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2005 10:30:23 PM
First off, I love JW's for their dedication. Alas, would that I could be so dedicated.
Then I tell them so, right before I tell then that they're selling a defective product and I am not buying because I am an evangelical Christian. They usually get the idea that I am not susceptible to their sales pitch.

When I was working as a fireman I used to get one regularly early in the morning when I'd come off shift, dog-tired, just wanting to get some sleep. She was very polite but a bit too persistent. I finally started coming to the door in my underwear. That took care of that one.
I had another one come to the door when I was cleaning house and wearing a very thin pair of white shorts. Her eyes never got above my waistline and she didn't have much to say. Her friend did all the yakking. She didn't come back either.
I think if you will check you local laws you will find that the behavior which you are describing is commonly called "criminal trespass". Handle it as such....or open the door in your boxers and with a beer in your hand. Feel free to flatulate and belch as needed
 smoochiepooches
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/1/2005 11:19:36 PM
When a jehova witness knocks on my door.

I gladly bring them into the living room and start showing them all my books on the craft. I then proceed to ask them to explain the difference between their beliefs and my pagan tradition. Usually, they are really stumped and rush towards the door. It works everytime, (Lol, Whoaaaaaaa, Lol. In that witchy way !) Really, you gotta love them. They try so hard.
Bright Blessings
Smoochie
 ~Enchantress~
Msg: 43
Posted: 8/2/2005 8:58:43 AM
So...What did they actually witness Jahova do????

I cant understand why I seem to be the only one stumped by that...
 79dude
Msg: 44
Posted: 8/2/2005 9:13:16 AM
he mustve been an annoying salesman
 ~Enchantress~
Msg: 46
Posted: 8/3/2005 12:23:12 AM
It was an honest question, although if you want to look at it as mockery thats fine too.
 -One-
Msg: 48
 stealth2
Msg: 51
Posted: 8/9/2005 4:21:43 PM
Any true Christian (not nominal Christian, but Christian) can hear one of their spiels which sounds like a robot reciting a script, which is incidentally what the Mormons do, they reel off a memorized script, but can tell that it is a twisting of the Scripture, and is for low educated lamebrains.
 Legal Catch
Msg: 53
Posted: 8/9/2005 5:01:31 PM
Being a true Christain-Methodist, I have met many Witnesses and became fine friends with a few.I dont understand what you mean by "reciting a script".Ive never heard them behave that way and any twisting of the scripture by them is nonsense.They are different than other denominations sure, but they are the most dedicated in belief and faith.If that makes me a "low educated lamebrain" for speaking in there defense,so be it.Ive been called worse.
 stealth2
Msg: 55
Posted: 8/10/2005 10:56:19 AM
Legal Catch, I'm not downing you persay. I'm just saying any true Christian who has spiritual discernment can detect a spiritual counterfeit pretty early on. It takes only one encounter to set off the alarms and red flashers. Yes, these, like the Mormans, the Way, and a lot of cults teach their followers to rebut the objections of the Christians with a memorized "speil."
Jehovah's Witness story is covered in another thread and tells of the founding of this cult. Just because many cults use Scripture that doesn't make their doctrine right. They take verses out of context and twist Scripture to suit their party line. JW even has its own translation of the Bible, where they misquote the verse from John: In the beginning was the Word and the Word was A God. . ."

Of course, if you are not really a Christian, you would not have this discernment.
 Legal Catch
Msg: 60
Posted: 8/10/2005 4:19:26 PM
I would just like to say something to Garf and Stealth here for a minute.It is easy to tell from your writings that you both have educated opinions.Although I am an active Christain,I am not profound in remembering the scriptures.Like everything else in this world,there are counterfeit spiritualists.Personally I could care less what anothers belief may be in this world,Catholic-Muslim-Buddah-Morman-Jehovah etc.Simple faith and belief in God is right,how you spread the gospel,apply your faith and by what rules you follow mean little to me,
 Legal Catch
Msg: 65
Posted: 8/10/2005 5:03:18 PM
To voluptuousness...The word faith to me means..faith in God.If your a non-believer how can you have faith? As long as we are off topic,I'd like to ask Garf and anyone else about this.Native Americans were never taught about the bible or knew anything of the commandments,Jesus or Moses but there God was very active and influential in there lives.I know that there God is the same as mine,how were they taught? Does the bible have any references to them or any other unbaptised tribes in the world?
 stealth2
Msg: 66
Posted: 8/10/2005 9:09:03 PM
Read post #17 on this thread by Peaceful Hermit. This is the real skinny on this false cult. Like Mormons and Scientology, these cults are false. They do not base their doctrine on Jesus Christ. JW does not believe that Jesus Christ is Son of God come in the flesh.
I have been around Christianity for many many years. Most of the people in JW have to be country bumpkins and low-educated 'cause who else would believe this bunk. What a crock.
I live in an area where a lot of the members are blacks with little education.
 stealth2
Msg: 69
Posted: 8/11/2005 3:47:50 PM
querky, you don't know what you're talking about. The Romans had slaves and so did the Moslems. You point out that whites had slaves. Blacks in Africa have slaves. I'm so tired of the same ol' same ol' playing the race card.

And yes, true Christians do call a spade a spade. Jehovah Witness will take their own believers to hell if they don't wake up to their own Watchtower.
 stealth2
Msg: 71
Posted: 8/13/2005 12:04:54 PM
Jehovah Witness will take their own believers to hell if they don't wake up to their own Watchtower.
What are you talking about now?
This comment makes absolutely no sense whatsoever
-------------------------------
Was just trying to make a play on words: Watchtower has image of spying out the land for enemies. "Awake" and "Watchtower" are some of the JW publications. Many tracts or small fliers are left at the doors of homes.

Garf, I believe JW are sincere people and admire their dedication to their "witnessing." But on the other hand I believe that Mormons and JW can be sincere and yet sincerely wrong in their doctrine.
 Jimmy66
Msg: 77
Posted: 8/15/2005 5:29:50 PM
I know it was Paul that said it but I canh't remember the exact verse.Pretyy much saying that those who teach in Christ name in love and those who teach in Christ name for hate or argument.At least both confess Jesus Christ's name.I will try and find this scripture,if any knows please help me out on this because it may take me awhile.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > question: why do jehova's witness's seem to be so pushy not judging just a question