Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > POF catch words or phrases, and how you interpret them      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Glenoran1
Msg: 1
POF catch words or phrases, and how you interpret themPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
There are a lot of catch words and phrases commonly used on POF profiles which could be taken to mean several things. For example, "open minded". I wonder if the author means 'keeping an open mind' about things, or 'open to sexual variations', shall we say?

I'd be interested to know what you folks translate many of these rather ambiguous expressions to mean, in the POF context.
 rockondon
Msg: 2
view profile
History
POF catch words or phrases, and how you interpret them
Posted: 3/23/2010 11:23:32 AM
"Messages this short may not be posted" can be interpreted as "we lack the ability to appreciate talented, concise writing. Please ramble incessantly before submitting posts."
 rockondon
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2010 7:25:18 AM
"Prefer not to say" means "If I actually answered this honestly you would never contact me."
 masterfisher
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/25/2010 11:15:27 AM
How about no baggage.if you are 30, 40 or 50 you most certainly have some.Suitcase full anyone?
 Outdoor2
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2010 12:21:33 AM
"normal" what is normal to one can be abnormal to another.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/10/2010 10:59:56 AM
"Chemistry" is really meaningless, but most often used to mean realizing someone is too ugly close up for the word's user to say out loud. It's a euphemism for inarticulate paralysis.
ED BEAR
 velopedian
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 6/10/2010 7:24:56 PM
a few = 40
trying to quit = i'm down to a pack a day
a nice smile = i can still open a beer with my last 3 teeth
i'm cute = my mom says i am, so i must be
 Ed Bear
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2010 5:36:56 PM
I would beg to differ: "Open Minded" seems to me to mean, "No Bigots, Please!" At least, nobody specifying that has ever seemed to be kinky to me. Or never shown that side.
ED BEAR
 Ed Bear
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2010 11:27:27 PM
"Wuss" isn't an insult to men outside the country-music realm. I have always been blessed with wonderful women friends, which is really important during hockey or soccer peak seasons. I lie to talk about other things than sports or bear - or, for that matter, makeup and pop idols.
ED BEAR
 ClassC
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2010 3:15:49 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^EdBear...didja mean to say "I DIE"...to talk about...
I cannot imagine for one second, you meaning to lie...not for a single itty bitty nano second!
 velopedian
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2010 10:35:53 PM
re: msg34

i happen to have quite a few female acquaintances(some ex's, some not, some attached, some not), they are neither stalkers, nor fwb's. we hugged, we laughed and we cried together. i've been in their wedding parties, held their newborns and watched them grow into adults in their right... in short we are friends.

i'm not about to give up a decades long friendship because of someone else's insecurities and lack of trust.

so tell me, how does that make me a wuss?
 Ed Bear
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2010 12:38:52 AM
I find myself in the embarrassing position of correcting my own spelling in public. That should have been:

"I LIKE to talk about other things than sports or BEER - or, for that matter, makeup and pop idols."

Talking out Bear - myself - I have too often been guilty of, I'll confess!
ED BEAR
 ClassC
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2010 8:28:48 PM
ahhhh...ed bear
that sounds even MORE like you..."like to".....
('die to' sounded heavy handed....)
hugs

and gee...Velop....there are so many smiles and greetings erupt when you're *out and about*...
can't imagine even ONE person not wanting to be your friend!
.........the world is surely a better place when we can all be FRIENDS..........
isn't it why this site has been nick-named Plenty of FRIENDS...
I've been lucky...
to count many open hearted people I've met on here as friends...

(gosh, a few I haven't even met!)
luvy'all
um...does that make me a cereal dater...I'll have Raisin Bran*
 Ed Bear
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2010 9:03:23 AM
I know what you guys mean - if I say I don't want to drink or gamble, people tend to assume I'm "recovering," religious, or henpecked. Now I just say I don't drink beer or wine. Gambling - I'm just not dumb enough!
ED BEAR
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > POF catch words or phrases, and how you interpret them