Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > What is your idea of heaven?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JustDukky
Msg: 1
What is your idea of heaven?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Another thread asked the question "how good do you have to be to get to heaven?"
This one asks: "What is your idea of heaven?"
Believe it or not it is a sincere question. I'd like to know what your personal concept of heaven/afterlife is and what you imagine it might be like (if you believe it exists).
Not to let the atheists out, you are free to imagine what your personal heaven/afterlife might be like if you were allowed to create one.
The purpose of this thread is not to denigrate religious/spiritual belief, but to earnestly inquire as to the many ideas, concepts and beliefs of heaven that people may hold, so let's save the cheap shots & put-downs (from either side) for another thread.
 Some random name
Msg: 2
What is your idea of heaven?
Posted: 7/26/2009 11:00:46 PM
It has an online dating site where the women actually respond
 greg14229
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/26/2009 11:02:48 PM
My idea of heaven would have to be finite in time. Our minds are not wired to handle infinity. Everyone i loved would be there, we'd always be extremely happy, no arguments, no jealously, my wife would be beautiful and faithful, I would NEVER, EVER lose at Scrabble, and i'd leave the toilet seat anywhere i damn well pleased. Instead of raining water, it would rain Diet Dr. Pibb. There would be wedgie proof underwear. Even the outdoors would have central air conditioning. I would play frequent drinking games with Jesus, and usually he would upchuck first. And sometimes Jesus would probably put pepperoni's on my face and chest while i was passed out. But all spectators would see this as productive and sexy activity. There would be ABSOLUTELY NO constipation. In fact, we would not poop at all...instead, the food we ingested would recycle in our bodies, and undergo a transformation to create the energy necessary for a great sex life. Farting would be socially acceptable, so no need for embarrassment. If you wanted to travel, all you would have to do is THINK of your destination, and heaven would move so that your destination came to you....you never had to lift a foot. Also, on Sundays, Cheech Marin would fill in for Jesus at times when Jesus had to urinate. And St. Peter would look just like Willian Shatner. In heaven, if you said to a beautiful woman, "hi, how are you", and she said "bug off", then that exchange would constitute having wonderful sex with her. Also, in heaven Flavor Ice would not make you cough. And you would never have to look at the toilet paper after you wiped: you just know when it was done.

And now i know i'm done...
 monalee1
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/26/2009 11:09:17 PM
.. too funny random.. ... here is a lovely description of heaven by Ellen G White..

While seated in this beautiful retired park [in Healdsburg, California], free from all confusion and bustle, a sweet peace came over my spirits. I seemed to be taken away from myself, and the bright home of the saints was presented vividly before me. In imagination I gathered with the saints around the wide-spreading tree of life. Friends and dear home relatives who had been separated from us by death were gathered there. The redeemed, white-robed multitude, who had washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb, were there. No flaming guard stood around the tree of life, barring our approach. With happy, joyous songs of praise, the voices were blended in perfect harmony as we plucked of the fruit from the tree of life.

For a time I lost all thought of time, of place, or occasion--of everything earthly. Heaven was the subject of my contemplation--heaven, the much-longed-for heaven. I seemed to be there, where all was peace, where no stormy conflicts of earth could ever come. Heaven, a kingdom of righteousness where all the holy and pure and blessed are congregated--ten thousand times ten thousand and thousands of thousands--living and walking in happy, pure intimacy, praising God and the Lamb who sitteth on the throne! Their voices were in perfect harmony. They never do each other wrong. Princes of heaven, the potentates of this mighty realm, are rivals only in good, seeking the happiness and joy of each other. The greatest there is least in self-esteem, and the least is greatest in his gratitude and wealth of love.

There are no dark errors to cloud the intellect. Truth and knowledge, clear, strong, and perfect, have chased every doubt away, and no gloom of doubt
casts its baleful shadow upon its happy inhabitants. No voices of contention mar the sweet and perfect peace of heaven. Its inhabitants know no sorrow, no grief, no tears. All is in perfect harmony, in perfect order and perfect bliss.

Our company were thirsty for water which could only be obtained from the river. My imagination saw the "pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb." On either side of this river was the tree of life "which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations" (Revelation 22:1,2). The Great Shepherd was leading His flock to living fountains of water and to green pastures, new and delightful scenery opening continually before His people. Heaven, sweet heaven, the saints' eternal home, the abode for the toilers, where the weary who have borne the heavy burdens through life find rest, peace, and joy! They sowed in tears, they reap with joy and triumph. Heaven is a home where sympathy is alive in every heart, expressed in every look. Love reigns there. There are no jarring elements, no discord or contentions or war of words.

With our deepest study and our broadest experience we shall never be able to describe heaven or our senses to comprehend it. All that is pure, all that is excellent and lovely is there. The possession of heaven is endless bliss, infinite glory, riches, and knowledge. The character of heaven is perfect love, holiness, peace. We know these things now only in part. "Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him" (1 Corinthians 2:9). It is the discipline imposed upon us all to walk by faith and not by sight.--
 greg14229
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/26/2009 11:10:27 PM
the man asked for YOUR description...
 Mister Logic
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/26/2009 11:24:55 PM
As I tried to point out in another thread ("Fuzzy Logic"), everything in nature happens smoothly. Day gradually becomes night. There are no well-defined boundary lines between caterpillar and butterfly, between tadpole and frog. Nature does not divide God's work into bivalent categories. Only Man does that. The modus operandi of God is therefore "shades of gray".

So then why are heaven and hell such bivalent all-or-nothing concepts? Why would God create a universe filled with shades of gray, and then create a purely Aristotelian afterlife? Such a fabrication is totally inconsistent with His modus operandi. Or could it be that God didn't create these concepts? Could it be that we created these ideas about heaven and hell to conform to our own bivalent mentalities?

If there really is a hell, it must be place of degrees. (No, I don't mean that it must be a hot place! ) There could not be just one generic "hell" into which everyone who has been "bad" simply gets dumped. There are degrees of badness. For example, there is "telling-a-lie" level of badness, and there is "murder" level of badness. And only somebody with the mentality of an Aristotelian would even suggest that both are equally bad.

Similarly, heaven would also have to have many different levels of reward. Otherwise, my only concern would be that I live my life just "good enough" to barely make it in. Hence the thread that I started in this forum: "How Good Do You Have To Be To Get Into Heaven?"
 Vancer
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/26/2009 11:55:26 PM
I would like to have a vast and quiet garden. A cabbage garden.
Where I could grow cabbage patch children. Then watch them play, and sing and dance.
If they wished to become gardeners as well, then I would teach them.

Oh, one more thing. I would dress up like this guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHW69vx_pPo

You must visualize eeeet!!!
 JMars
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/27/2009 5:46:52 AM
I share the ideas of my Germanic ancestors; that Heaven is a vast and varied place, with differnt layers, and with the various halls of the various deities who entertain the greatest of men, each according to their own deific inclinations and interests be they war, craftsmenship, music/poetry, aethetics/sensuality, etc. But their would also be smaller more humble halls and abodes sprinkled across the the heaths of heaven, where more modest and common folk dwell ... with their their loves ones and kinsfolk.

Ideally, I would be able to get into any of the halls of the deities to soaked up whatever each had to offer.

Naturally, there would be a rough-and-tumble field in Heaven, in which, if someone slandered or insulted you, or if you just wanted to test yourself, you could scrap to your hearts content. And I ain't talking UFC here, though you could find that too, but I'm talking 5th century Germanic barbarian combat. And we'd kill each other. Buuuuut, at the end of the day we would all rise up, and return to the hall of the battle-god and all be happy and good with each other in the true spirit of sportsmanship ... (and a pint or two) ... even as we and ours plan out the following days raid on the opposition.

I couldn't bare to suffer an eternity of everything going my way, or of sameness. Heaven would have to be diverse for me, and contain challenges and obstacles. But I would need the homebase too, the humble hall of kith and kin. That would come first and be most dear.
 RocketMan_Len
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/27/2009 6:04:55 AM
Dukky...

You mean - we get to CHOOSE our afterlife? Wow.

I would want the ability to wander the entirety of the Universe, seeing all the things that astronomers are speculating about close-up. Watch galaxies collide, see stars go from dust clouds to supernovae, watch matter fall into a black hole...

Conversely, my vision of Hell is a place where nothing new would happen... knowing that what happens today is the same as what happened yesterday, and will happen tomorrow, for as long as you can imagine.
 farceur
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/27/2009 8:05:33 AM
My literal idea of heaven is the sky, as I understand that is what the meaning was originally. My spiritual or religious idea of heaven is that it is an imaginary place for religious and spiritual people to imagine that seems a lot like this world but everything is good there, and gravity is optional, although there is still a right side up, somehow, unlike in outer space. My own personal idea of heaven, in the tradition of imagining happiness, is this moment and any other moment when I can appreciate being alive, unmolested by what anyone else might be doing to infringe on my enjoyment, intentionally, or unintentionally when in pursuit of their own happiness. I default to happiness easily when given half a chance. I think it's from being glad that bad things aren't happening right now, to me in particular. After having experienced several forms of pain so far I am more than content to not have pain, and somehow that is enough to make life seem heavenly. Lastly, pretty much anytime a woman takes off her shirt represents the onset of heaven. If I had to make a metaphysical guess about the source of heaven I would have to say it is somewhere in the gentle space between a woman's breasts, and not because of the sexual connotation but probably because in all of human history that is the one place where nothing bad has ever come from.
 Js.Krulicki
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/27/2009 9:45:42 AM
My idea of heaven is similar to this man's. Listen! It's so damn pure. Mmm!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkBbFEbSCbg

hellgremlin
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2009 3:21:09 PM
My idea of heaven is dying and not having to worry about any of this BS.
 aremeself
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2009 5:59:12 PM
being happy on earth.

eg. no death etc.

OH, and we might want a beer every now and then, not need one!
 LeCutter
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/27/2009 6:07:34 PM
My idea of heaven? No heaven. Just listen to Imagine by John Lennon and that pretty much sums it up right there.
 Js.Krulicki
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/27/2009 6:17:00 PM
The "A Perfect Circle" cover was done so much better. The imagery they chose in the video just enhances the richness of the song. I love it. Good choice!
 JustDukky
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/27/2009 7:28:42 PM
@ Monalee

A perfect place where we could all feel wrapped in the love by which it is created; a place with no suffering or injustice; that is the place we all dream of. I'm with you on that vision of heaven Mona, and I've seen from some of your posts that you know deep down that the purpose of God's creation isn't to bring us to a place of divine reward, under the Loving protection of God the Father, but rather for God's children to grow up and become God and to create Heaven for ourselves. I think He'd be proud if we did. He put in our hearts the power of Creation and Love. I'm eternally thankful to find people like you, pouring it into the world and doing whatever you can to turn Earth into Heaven.

@ JMars

Your idea of heaven closely matches my own. Maybe we should have been born a thousand years ago (or as some might believe, maybe we were)

What could be finer than a place where one could be with their loved ones, hone and practice their craft, learn new things, enjoy the comradeship of their brothers and even love the enemies they battle enough to quaff a few with them at the end of the day.

Have you noticed how much our idea of heaven sounds like the lives we live now? Maybe we are in heaven already and don't know it.

@ Rocketman

Learning the marvels of the universe around us would be a great drawing card for a heaven. Oh to have all those vexing, perplexing questions answered, only to find new ones to ask and to explore. An ever-changing place to explore, learn and grow...Yup...I'm there!

Once again, It sounds like we already live in heaven.

@ farceur

My own personal idea of heaven, in the tradition of imagining happiness, is this moment and any other moment when I can appreciate being alive

Your personal idea of heaven exactly agrees with my own and I see that you already know what heaven is.

@ Flaman49

...and the only thing on TV is "Leave it to Beaver" reruns?

HEY!...What's wrong with "Leave it to Beaver?"...I happen to LIKE that show! It would sure as hell beat the news channels! (It's more honest)

@ Art

An orgasm that lasts forever!

Well, they tried it with rats and they all starved themselves to death 'cause they couldn't stop pushing the "happy button." Still, I have no doubt that they died happy, so you may well be right; I know I've had a few that nearly killed me and they are some of my fondest memories.

@ Brightspark

Being surrounded by pretty angels playin harps and chuckin flowers at each other whilst they cry with joy :D..... Honest.....no really....

Yeah...Right...

@ Hellgremlin

dying and not having to worry about any of this BS.

Good for you!...Your idea of heaven is practical and easily attained; in fact it's inevitable.

@ Scints

I'm not sure if it has any emotions, perhaps memories?

Emotions are the product of what will be a decaying, disintegrating brain with no synapse. They will have to die with you. Memories?...Well, if I'm not mistaken the laws of thermodynamics suggest the conservation of information, so there may be some hope there, but probably not in the sense that you think.

@ aremeself

As for being happy on earth, you have but to be it and it is so. As for no death, I would suggest that real flowers that die in a few days are far more beautiful than the artificial ones that last forever. Wherein lies the source of that beauty?

As for beer, that's a given...(only one???)...

@ LeCutter

My idea of heaven? No heaven. Just listen to Imagine by John Lennon and that pretty much sums it up right there.

That is my favorite song and you are absolutely right. Part of my ongoing agenda in these forums is taking the song out of the realm of imaginary worlds. When you think about it, what he sang about is quite acheivable if we want it enough to do a little work for it.
Grab a spade...We have a lot of shit to shovel out of the way if we expect to build the road to heaven.
 Twister239
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/27/2009 8:06:27 PM
I think we are all currently living in both heaven and hell
we all have a mind and that mind is always busy
trying to make heaven out of hell
and sometimes hell out of heaven.
the most prized possesion on earth is a sound mind
 Agape07
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/27/2009 8:34:21 PM
13 minutes is another great song by "a perfect circle".
 2hi-iq-4u
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/27/2009 9:02:44 PM
I am already on my way. I have found the afterlife to be a place where everybody knows what the truth is. Maybe not all of the truth, but most of it. I am "on my way" because I am learning as much about the truth as possible before I get there.

The spirits attempt to communicate with the living, and to improve the quality of life for all of us. There are those who are communicating with spirits, and there are charlatans. In my opinion, Jesus was no charlatan. He specifically described what it was like to communicate with the "uncorruptible" souls of the afterlife, and the types of behaviors one would find accepted in the afterlife. It's too bad that the English translations were so bad that hardly anybody recognizes even the basic precepts.

Picture Heaven and Hell as merely the bed you are making in your walk of life. You will lie in it. It doesn't matter what your religion is, or if you have none. You are making your bed. Did you assist your fellow man today, or were you a hindrance?

Be kind to animals, they are there also; and they can speak. I was told there are about four dogs for every man. Maybe God is dog spelled backwards?
 JustDukky
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/27/2009 9:12:54 PM

Be kind to animals, they are there also; and they can speak.

...but so few ever listen to them...What a shame.
Be that as it may, I see respect for life itself on the rise, so there is hope.
 aremeself
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2009 10:42:20 PM
reworded, dukky, for you!

happy on earth.

[how can there be anything wrong with that?]
 JustDukky
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/27/2009 11:20:03 PM

happy on earth

THAT would be heaven. (and we can all be there!)
 aremeself
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2009 8:44:07 AM
and how, $64 question
 JustDukky
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/28/2009 8:58:29 AM
and how, $64 question

By being happy ourselves, sad that other people aren't, and giving something something of ourselves to help make their lives a little better. We ought to be busy being our brother's keeper, not telling him what he needs to be happy.

Food for thought:

Nobody can change the world alone. The best we can do is change ourselves, but if enough of us can do that, the world will change.
As Gandhi said: "BE the change you want to see in the world..."

If we all do our part, we can turn this hell we call earth into a heaven that even a God would be proud of.
 JustDukky
Msg: 26
Posted: 7/28/2009 9:21:45 AM

a place of mind characterized by being "at one with God"

And don't forget: "The Kingdom of God is within you." implies that one must look within to find it. Only in doing so can we know God; to truly know ourselves is to know God. To live a life of goodness is to BE the Hand of God, to pour Him out into the world and to re-create the world as it was meant to be.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > What is your idea of heaven?