Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Does kissing automatically indicate you're a couple?!?!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 packagedealx3
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Does kissing automatically indicate you're a couple?!?!Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Sleeping with someone doesn't automatically make you a couple. Kissing is kissing, tongue or not, it means you are attracted to someone, nothing more.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Does kissing automatically indicate you're a couple?!?!
Posted: 7/28/2009 5:27:25 PM
No, kissing doesn't automatically indicate anything. Discussing being a couple and mutually agreeing to a higher level of relationship are what make two people move forward together as a couple. Anyone who would interpret a kiss (no matter how passionate) as a significant change in status is someone you should get away from.

Mature people discuss these things---they don't make assumptions.
Posted: 7/28/2009 5:50:01 PM

For me sometimes it's just the excitement in the moment, but I don't really want to be in a relationship with this person...is it wrong for them to automatically assume we're a couple...or is it wrong on my part to kiss someone before I'm entirely sure I want to be with this person???

you're posing two questions with separate answers.

1. no, it's not very cool to kiss someone you have no romantic interest in, because that does carry the potential to lead them on.

2. kissing can be part of the process of determining whether you want to be with someone. you're trying out a certain kind of touch to see if you have a certain kind of compatibility. it doesn't automatically make you a couple.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2009 6:29:37 PM
I attribute part of this to age but hon, as you continue to navigate the dating waters, don't ever allow someone to make you feel badly. It wasn't like someone put a gun to the dude's head and it's not like he asked for clarification before he played tonsil hockey.

All you owed him was, I'm sorry if you believe I led you on, I went with the moment and while I might have dated you, I certainly wouldn't date you now, let me know if you grow up anytime soon.

Or nothing at all. People kiss sometimes if you are both available no harm no foul and no future implied.
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2009 7:16:38 PM
"Never let a fool kiss you or a kiss fool you" ~ Dr. Mardy Grothe

BrownEyedLeo
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2009 7:18:33 PM
For me, a kiss is a very intimate thing. However, it does not mean I automatically become a couple with the person I kissed. The way you kiss someone says a lot about what it means. If you kissed him passionately, I can see where a man might feel you wanted more than a friendship with him. Most people don't go around french-kissing their friends, unless they do have intentions of wanting it to go to a different level. No wonder men don't understand women! Don't give off mixed signals and lead him on if you don't want more.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2009 7:20:39 AM

but unless you're 14, french kissing is a pretty intimate act and intimate acts, by their nature, ipso facto clearly imply a certain level of interest in the person with whom you are engaging in said intimate act.

The Victorian era has been over for decades. French-kissing indicates absolutely nothing except the desire to kiss an attractive, available person. And these days, that's as true at age 54 as it is at age 14. Implications don't work when it comes to relationships. Conversation is required in order to validate couple-interest. A kiss means "I wanted to kiss you". Nothing more.

The OP is right, and the butt-hurt guy is wrong.
 Sabrosura
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/29/2009 9:01:00 AM
OP: It means you are attracted to one another. Nothing more and nothing less.
 Monkey_brains
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/29/2009 9:30:33 AM

of course he felt you led him on..some people take a kiss seriously

If people take a kiss that seriously...what are "they" doing smooching it up so early on in the dating game?

The mentality of "french-kissing entitles me to something more, in a sexual sense or emotionally"...is adolescent...not the actual act...

This attitude of "you led him on" sucks too....just how do you do that? Did he not participate in said kiss? Is he not accountable for making that choice? The fact that he assumed it meant more or wanted it to mean more...does not make you an unscrupulous kissing bandit....
 Ntvd7
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2009 11:54:19 AM
Is this a serious question!?!?
 ClubBug
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2009 12:43:43 PM
A kiss can just be that little bit of pleasure. A kiss is a kiss....liking when in a club who fancy the look of them make out and move on, its just that little bit of fun.

Sometimes it could lead to more but not a relationship unless its says Offical other wise.

Hope that helps :) x
 ladyc4
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/29/2009 12:56:05 PM

The standard of "WTF" questions has just been lowered once again!

Seriously, WTF?.

NO LIE!
Seriously, if ya don't wanna get nibbled, don't play with the bunny.
Look, technically Frenching or "making out" does not obligate either party to anything further, but if you are gonna do these things just for the pure hell of it, some are going to feel "led on", and react with some degree of negativity to such goings on.
Cindy O
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Does kissing automatically indicate you're a couple?!?!