Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Exploding Ipods      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Mobiledj
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Exploding IpodsPage 1 of 1    
I just read this on one of my DJ Forums and thought I would warn people out there that may not have heard about ipods bursting into flames

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32190181/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/

I use mine for long periods at a time so I am now going to check to see if it gets a little hot.
 DAKOTATRUCKCOUNTRY
Msg: 2
Exploding Ipods
Posted: 7/29/2009 10:38:54 AM
I don't use an iPod, but thanks for the tip, DJ.

Ahhhhh, ya got to love it, another Corporate cover up, only to save face, companies name, and products, as well as some overly priced executive jobs.

Apple should just plain owe up to it, tell the consumers that they are having a problem, with the iPod, and what they are doing to correct it, instead of trying to covering it up.
 white_flag
Msg: 3
Exploding Ipods
Posted: 7/29/2009 10:56:24 AM
my iPod Touch gets quite hot when I use it for any length of time. Thanks for the warning!
 ~JaneSays~
Msg: 4
Exploding Ipods
Posted: 7/29/2009 2:09:11 PM
I have an HP tablet with a touch screen technology and it gets really hot, too. It kind of bugs me. I am now wondering about it.
 Alli_oop
Msg: 5
Exploding Ipods
Posted: 7/29/2009 2:37:17 PM
I've never felt mine get hot, but probably because it's in a leather case. I don't use it for more than 30 min at a time.
 ~JaneSays~
Msg: 6
Exploding Ipods
Posted: 7/29/2009 5:09:39 PM
I have never felt my touch ipod get hot but this tablet definitely heats up. I will talk to my computer guru really soon.
 winterfall10
Msg: 7
Exploding Ipods
Posted: 7/30/2009 4:23:20 PM
I love sensationalist journalism, and it appears some of you here do as well....

Devices like these use passive cooling to offload heat and prevent overheating. Passive cooling includes heat transfer to air or a solid surface. If you restrict airflow, which is typically the method of cooling these devices, then heat will build up and eventually transfer to the nearest available surface.

So, in the article, the woman mentioned burnt her skin. Was the device inside her shirt against her skin? or was it outside her shirt open to the air? Was she inadvertently restricting airflow to the device? Did her shirt get damaged as well? How long did it take for the device to heat up? Did she leave it heating up over time against her skin, or did she just turn it on and get burnt?

There are too many questions with just this one incident to determine if this was the device, or the user that was at fault. Of the over 100 million iPod devices sold, 15 have had this type of issue? That seems like a very small sample to cause rioting in the streets, let alone a recall.

Yes, these devices can heat up, and yes, any electronic device could fail in some spectacular manner such as bursting into flames. However, users should be smart enough to use devices like these appropriately. Before being concerned that Apple or some other company is building faulty equipment, ask for some facts, then make a decision (and no, that article does not count as factual).
 Phuqd
Msg: 8
Exploding Ipods
Posted: 7/30/2009 10:46:11 PM
The above poster hit the nail on the head.

If you sit down and read the instructions that come with these devices they have very clear guidelines for "recommended use". Quite often they seem ridiculous, and inconvenient for normal use, but they are designed to protect users, and more importantly limit liability of the manufacturer.

As for the tablet PC issue, they will run quite hot as they are powerful computers in a compact package, but they also have specific use guidelines in regards to cooling. Ever noticed that you don't see many laptop computers these days, but a lot of notebooks?
All in the wording. I used to work for HP in tech support, it was an expensive marketing error in regards to lawsuits.
 ~JaneSays~
Msg: 9
Exploding Ipods
Posted: 7/31/2009 7:25:19 PM
^Hey, thanks! I notice it happens when I am running a dvd or playing media. Interesting comments - I will be careful.

With respect to the Ipod, there is apparently a problem with a virus that can take over the Ipod phone. You can now download something to block this virus.
 Michaelann
Msg: 10
Exploding Ipods
Posted: 8/18/2009 11:26:22 AM
My MP3 player is a Sony network Walkman, not an Ipod. It never gets hot & carry it in my fanny pack, or occassionally in my pocket.

My boyfriend recently bought some type of cooling pad, for his laptop, from Future Shop.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you sit down and read the instructions that come with these devices they have very clear guidelines for "recommended use". Quite often they seem ridiculous, and inconvenient for normal use, but they are designed to protect users, and more importantly limit liability of the manufacturer. - Phuqd

I do agree that some "recommended guidelines", come across as being ludicrous. I once bought a pair of cheap headphones for my MP3 player/walkman
& discman. The recommendations include avoiding getting them wet! Walking around Vancouver in the spring, winter or fall, that is pretty much un-avoidable.
They must've gotten a lot of complaints, because I have noticed they are better designed now & no longer carry that un-realistic warning.

I also used to get an annoying static-y buzz interupting my music, every time someone nearby used a cellphone. Doesn't happene any more either.
 debra2008
Msg: 11
Exploding Ipods
Posted: 8/18/2009 9:39:02 PM
At least something is getting hot...
 Entzauberung
Msg: 12
Exploding Ipods
Posted: 8/23/2009 2:51:57 PM
I got this message today.

I was in the pub yesterday when I realized I desperately needed to fart. The music was really loud, certainly loud enough to drown out any noise I would make, so I timed my farts with the beat.

After venting some major "rippers" I started to feel better. I noticed that everybody was staring at me.

Then it dawned on me why they were staring... I remembered that I was listening to my iPod.

Mountain Lion 1
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Exploding Ipods
Posted: 8/23/2009 7:27:17 PM

another paranoia, haven't had one in a while

suggest airport security search, cease or strip to include these devices as lethal weapons
shait, if they explode they may be used in a hijack
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 14
Exploding Ipods
Posted: 8/24/2009 9:20:20 AM
what's an IPod?
 mo-mo
Msg: 15
Exploding Ipods
Posted: 8/24/2009 11:25:26 AM

At least something is getting hot...

Somebody else that thinks like me...
It is a dating sight after all. Are we not all looking for some heat?
 Mountain Lion 1
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Exploding Ipods
Posted: 8/24/2009 12:00:37 PM
^^^^^ thought it was about explosions????????
 ritawayward
Msg: 17
Exploding Ipods
Posted: 8/24/2009 12:02:41 PM
Well ... they can explode AFTER they heat up!!!
Just like so many things!
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Exploding Ipods