Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > A Ban on organs donated to NHS being used for non NHS patients ..      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 pantsonfire
Msg: 1
view profile
History
A Ban on organs donated to NHS being used for non NHS patients ..Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Watching BBC Breakfast and I heard this news..

Private transplants to be banned... Apparently, a significant number of organs donated to the NHS were used in private transplant operations.. Also a number of organs have been transplanted into overseas patients who paid for their operations..

Here is the link...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8176277.stm

Did you realise this was happening? Do you believe this is a form of queue jumping? Should those with the finances be allowed to purchase their organs? Should British donor organs be used exclusively for British NHS patients? Or are the NHS just being business savvy using the organs in the best way possible, ensuring their survival in this difficult financial environment?

And does it change your views on being a donor, knowing that your organs may not go to the most needful patient but perhaps the patient with the finances available?.. In effect something given for free going to the highest bidder...
 pantsonfire
Msg: 2
view profile
History
A Ban on organs donated to NHS being used for non NHS patients ..
Posted: 7/31/2009 12:19:24 AM
You're right Mac.. I suppose organ donation is a thing with me... My brother suffered from kidney failure and was on dialysis for the last decade of his life... He was never a candidate for transplantation because the disease he suffered from meant that any organ transplanted would be damaged and eventually he would be back at square one...

However, I wonder, if we had had the finances, would we have been offered the option of transplantation.. Prolonging Paul's life..

*EDIT* Msg 5 .. Sorry that's what I meant Mac, re reading my post it sounds like I'm wishing we'd had the cash to pay for an organ and think it better to have that option available .. Whereas in fact I'm railing against the unfairness of the current system and am pleased that the NHS will no longer be allowed to sell organs that are meant to be used for the good of whomever needs it most, no matter what their financial status...
 badge73
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2009 4:01:47 AM
Its been happening for years in most countries, think usa, brazil, south africa, india or china.

Wonder if they can barcode your donated organs like dhl? Then can put it on your card that you want them to go to a british nhs patient?
 Cargy.
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2009 4:04:11 AM
I'm always ready to donate my organ to a worthy recipient!

OT: It's a despicable abuse of public trust reliant on the bereaved being unlikely to question matters beyond giving permission.

Maybe we could make our own modified donor cards expressly forbidding the use of our body parts for Non-UK citizens and/or private medical care.

If not, I'd do what MSG 10 suggests, and arrange to sell (or even auction) my bits to make sure that any financial gain benefits those in my will rather than bankroll others.
 try1more
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2009 4:52:30 AM
knobhead:
what do you base your claims on. as i've not read any such thing elsewhere nor can i find anything of the sort.
 Cargy.
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2009 5:03:16 AM

IMO, organ donations are and always should be the giving and receiving of a gift, not entering into an auction for the highest bidder.
I don't care who receives the gift, just so long as they are the best match and the most in need, there shouldn't be any other factors.

That's the principle that most of us believe in when we agree to donate organs, but it seems the current situation is analagous to asking a third party to deliver a gift to a friend or relative, and the third party charging the recipient for the value and delivery of it...

..And then keeping the money for themselves!
 try1more
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2009 7:30:28 AM
kh:
your a pain. i dont know why but i just had to look into this a bit deeper.
i pretty much read the act cover to cover. and as you might expect it really only concerns itself with right of procurement not who gets what or why.
and i think that your slating of elizabeth buggins was a bit unjustified as well.
as chair of the organ donation taskforce she rejected the "presumed consent" proposal.
not what you would expect from someone that wants to increase the available organs.
as far as helping other eu countries improve their tech, from all i've read we could learn a hell of a lot from the spanish.
although the act could be responsible for the scrapping of good organs, since it allows preserving of organs while seeking consent.
if they dont get the consent they cannot be used, however good they may be.
the act also makes it illegal to profit from the sale of organs. it only allows reimbursment of the costs of getting them.

sorry mate but i think you've got it wrong.
convince me otherwise.

the human tissue act can be read here

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2004/ukpga_20040030_en_1

task force rejection of presumed consent article here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7729009.stm

something thats a bit disturbing in all this, is that no one has seen fit to mention, that it doesn't matter a damn how many organs you have on the shelf. if you dont get a tissue match. thats the end of it.

banning private ops may not be the best solution and could lead to more organs being scrapped.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > A Ban on organs donated to NHS being used for non NHS patients ..