Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > What are the best exercises to bulk up my triceps?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Palifornia562
Msg: 1
What are the best exercises to bulk up my triceps?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I really need to bulk up my triceps. What are the best exercises to get my tri's bigger?? I usually try to work my triceps out after doing chest exercises, but then they are already so sore and I couldn't work out them out properly. Should I work out my triceps on different days from chest?
 imjusplayn
Msg: 2
What are the best exercises to bulk up my triceps?
Posted: 7/31/2009 6:09:01 PM
i use to pair up chest and tri's togetherm, but i switched it up for the same reason. I throw tri's in on leg day, i find its alot better and i get a good workout in
 caffeinejag
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/31/2009 6:19:36 PM
Duno why, but I always did tris after curls. Mainly Tricep push downs.
 Mystie_Dragonfly
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/31/2009 7:34:27 PM
I do arms and chest in the same day. I haven't had much of an issue with soreness with either. Fatigue maybe... but not soreness. Although... I do my arm work before my chest work.

Anyway, one of the best *I* have found is bracing yourself on the edge of a bench/chair, hand on both sides of yourself, hanging your butt down and balancing on your hands, then raising your own body weight. Kind of like back words push ups that work your tri's. I am sure there is a specific name for this exercise, I just don't know it.
 historian1441
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2009 8:25:45 PM
try doing your arms on their own day or with abs. do supersets with negatives. go for less weight but with slower reps. people often do their arms too fast and with momentum instead of good form. try pressdowns with hammer curls, then kickbacks with barbell reverse curls, three sets each.
 sweetest
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2009 8:30:10 PM
I don't like working the triceps too much as I find that I'm weak in that area. I do like doing tricep dips and push-ups. I find the kick-backs harder to do.
 Edsta
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/31/2009 8:59:58 PM
Palifornia,

If you're going for bulk, you might want to try the Arnie split which would allow you to use maximum resistance/intensity on the arms and goes something like this, if I remember correctly:

Day 1: Chest and biceps
Day 2: Back and triceps
Day 3: Legs
Day 4: Shoulders and forearms

When I used to train for mass, for my triceps I'd start with some sort of heavy close-grip barbell press, either overhand narrow grip or underhand wider grip, then a supine French press with either an EZ bar or dumbbells OR a weighted bench dip, and finish with dumbbell kickbacks or cable push-downs. The theory was that certain exercises hit certain "heads" of the triceps. Probably too many sets and reps, now that I think about it.

Much too long ago for this old fart to remember precisely all the claimed "whys"...
 trr10
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/1/2009 2:20:25 AM
Skull crushers with an easy bar
Close grip chest press
Weighted dips (make sure the grip is close)
If your gym has shoulder press and chest press machines using the closer grips will recruit more tricep muscle than regular grip.
Slow tricep pulldowns

For best results keep elbows facing back and close to side of body when exercising.
 monsoon_rain
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2009 5:45:13 AM
Anyway, one of the best *I* have found is bracing yourself on the edge of a bench/chair, hand on both sides of yourself, hanging your butt down and balancing on your hands, then raising your own body weight. Kind of like back words push ups that work your tri's. I am sure there is a specific name for this exercise, I just don't know it.

Dragonfly, those are called dips.
 Mystie_Dragonfly
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/1/2009 6:45:40 AM

LOL... such creative names for these exercises :P

Anyway, that works well for me. But then again, I do have a bit more weight to work with.
 James Bottomtooth III
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/1/2009 7:29:23 AM

I really need to bulk up my triceps. What are the best exercises to get my tri's bigger?? I usually try to work my triceps out after doing chest exercises, but then they are already so sore and I couldn't work out them out properly...

Push ups with a large exercise ball.

Place hands at 10 and 2 on ball and giver.
 Kekoa43
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/1/2009 9:03:29 AM
Triceps:
Close-grip bench presses 6 x 6-10
Pushdowns 6 x 6-10
French press (barbell) 6 x 6-10
One-arm triceps extensions (dumbell) 6 x 6-10
 Svetlana Blue
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/1/2009 5:06:36 PM
Skull crushers...love them. Take a barbell and add weight (I add 40 pounds) I have pretty strong big arms though. I do my tri's on shoulder day. Seems to work good for me. I also do 6 sets of 20 dips. And a few other things I find to work with in th gym. The skull crushers are what have gotten mine a pretty good size. :)
 SABREHAWK
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/1/2009 5:30:50 PM
I currently do the following for Tri's...

CLose Grip Bench 4-5 sets 6-10 reps
Skull Crushers 4 sets 8-12
Rope Pushdowns 4 sets 12-15 I do this routine before biceps on Saturdays, I train my arms by themselves also, I have to say that close grip presses are my favourite exercise and probably the most responsible for taking my arms from 12 inchs as a young teen to there current 19.5 inchs... if you can work up to close grip pressing 315lbs for 6 reps with good form you will most likely have Big Triceps!
 winteragain
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/1/2009 7:51:25 PM
Work all three heads of your triceps starting with:

Reverse grip pushdowns on a cable machine to emphasize the medial head

One-arm dumb bell triceps extension for the long head

Seated E-Z bar triceps extension utilizing an overhand grip will work the lateral head

And for a finisher, use an exercise that works all three heads equally: Dumbbell triceps extension while laying down in a supinated position on a bench.

Be sure to use good form when doing pushdowns. Ask yourself this: what's the difference between using the rope vs. straight bar? What part of the triceps is worked when you do regular pushdowns vs. the variation with the back to the machine? What's the only other muscle worked aside from the triceps? And finally, does anyone care?
 Mojig
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/3/2009 11:30:44 AM
I'm a big fan of weighted dips. Go as heavy as you can while keeping a decent range of motion.
 MGoBlue4U
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/3/2009 1:13:54 PM
Close grip bench. The more weight the better for 6-8 reps, 2 sets.

or (not in addition to)

Heavy dips -- whatever you can barely (and I mean barely) do for 6-8 reps for 2 sets.

Then finish with a good stretch -- say behind the head extensions with dumbbells, skull crushers, or pushdowns for say 10-12 reps, 2 sets. Basically just a stretch and getting the blood flowing -- you won't really grow from these alone.

That's only 4 sets -- more than enough on a dedicated arm day (or a day combined with shoulders, etc).

Do not do this on Chest day and keep it a few days away as your triceps will already be maxed out on chest day anyway. Same is true for back/biceps.

Less is more. Hit them heavy are hard for a few sets and then leave them alone.
 monalee1
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/3/2009 2:38:41 PM
hi.. I agree, close grip rope pulldowns... bench dips only put your feet on a bench as well, perhaps this is what to do for weighted dips.. do a few yoga moves that target triceps such as table and plank... I agree to switch to days with legs or abs.. many blessings
 ffryan
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2009 3:07:08 PM
Trriceps:
Close-grip bench presses 6 x 6-10
Pushdowns 6 x 6-10
French press (barbell) 6 x 6-10
One-arm triceps extensions (dumbell) 6 x 6-10

Good triceps exercises. Maybe switch up the one arm extensions with kickbacks so you work the medial head. You don't need that many sets though. Professional bodybuilders don't do that many. Cut your sets in half, 3 of each is plenty.

People should avoid doing chest and triceps on the same day. You can't work your triceps properly when they are tired from a chest workout. If you want to build triceps then don't treat them like a secondary muscle. Pro's can get away with it. Give your triceps 36 hours rest after a chest workout before working them. Same with back and biceps.

My favorite mass builders are close grip bench press, dips, and overhead dumbbell extensions. My best "shaper" exercises are pressdowns and skull crushers. Kickbacks and reverse grip pressdowns are a great way to hit the medial side. 9-12 sets is more than enough.
 mikeut
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/3/2009 5:56:28 PM
exactly what ffryan said. my tris didn't grow until i stopped training them after chest. keep to the basics and you will be fine.
 Edsta
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/4/2009 9:39:28 AM
Here ya go folks, for the MOST HUMONGOUS TRIS IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE:
http://www.graveyardmall.com/bobyjabiggu.html

JWG86
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/10/2009 10:47:50 PM
Weighted dips, brain-busters, close-grip bench press, tricep-pull downs.
 kpooks
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2009 3:28:24 PM
Pull-downs, rows and pecs do it for me. Yeah, tris and chest are kind of interlinked. Reduce the weight and do more reps.
 Omgee23
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/16/2009 1:25:26 AM
heavy close grip bench press and don't flare out your elbows most guys do that and they wonder why your triceps arn't getting isolated

form is key, remember that it makes a big difference

for the horse shoe shape so all 3 heads of the tri

kickbacks work great as well as pushdowns with a straight bar keep your elbows tucked in and press isolates the heads alot more
 Edsta
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/16/2009 9:14:43 AM
^ Also, cable pushdowns using a straight bar with an UNDERHAND grip---this is a great finishing exercise. You'll have to use a lot less weight than overhand, but it gets a particular part of your triceps that nothing else does quite the same way.

Another unusual triceps exercise is an underhanded close grip bench press, it's kind of tricky so use very light weight until you get the form down.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > What are the best exercises to bulk up my triceps?