Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Are our children targetted by too much advertising?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ibakecakes
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Are our children targetted by too much advertising?Page 1 of 1    
My daughter watched me washing up last night and said "Mummy, you should use F***y washing up liquid. It makes your hands softer and lasts longer". Once I stopped laughing, it made me think about how the power of advertising works even on our children. Mine are not allowed to watch vast portions of tv, they have a couple of programs they like, but I am astonished by the amount of advertising during the program, directly aimed at them.
Some years ago, a study was compiled looking at this very thing. It was found that on average, the UK children studied were much more influenced towards toys that had feautured on TV advertising campaigns on the run up to Christmas than those children in Sweden where advertising directed at children was banned. The study showed that children from the age of 3 were regularly targetted in advertising and that this was having an effect on their 'desire to consume'. This study also showed that the desires were heightened where the children regularly watched tv alone and without parental influence.

Do you think that the Uk should ban advertising directly aimed at children?
Is it a case that too many parents use the TV as a sort of babysitting service and therefore we must reap what we sow.......
Are we as a nation being brainwashed as early as 3, into buying what suits the highest paying consumer providers?
 badge73
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Are our children targetted by too much advertising?
Posted: 8/3/2009 9:13:47 AM
if that was the case i would sit every kid in reddich down and make them watch the film supersize me, so next time the tribes go down to macdonalds for there daily fix they can all sing out together "but mommy, to many maccys makes you as fat as feck!"

would hope they would get the message, but fear all you would hear back is "hurry up, and eat it! ive got errol, wayne, brandon, fred, sanja, winston and tom coming round to tidy my bedroom in 5 mins!!"
 pantsonfire
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Are our children targetted by too much advertising?
Posted: 8/3/2009 9:21:28 AM
Msg 3.. Benderoos are brilliant.. Hours and hours of non gooey fun... But they do have a warning that they might stain and they do get fluffy if they go on the floor...

Whenever I moan at my daughter for getting grubby, she sighs at me and says, "Trust pink forget stains mum"...

Arghhhhh.. I hate that advert...

They are sly.. They sneak into your subconscious and before you know what's happened you're buying something utterly useless... Anyone else got those stupid tumble drier balls???
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Are our children targetted by too much advertising?