Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > "The Russians are coming" ....again????      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SgrsShak
Msg: 1
"The Russians are coming" ....again????Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
The Cold war has been over for some time now.Yet 200 miles off the East Coast of the USA are Russian Subs...... which our government doesn't seem to be concerned about.In fact, we are purposely ignoring them according to Nightline.
What's your opinion of why they are there?
 AwP
Msg: 2
view profile
History
The Russians are coming ....again????
Posted: 8/5/2009 4:31:39 PM
If we know they're there, we aren't really ignoring them, we just aren't taking any overt action.
 AppleGeek
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/5/2009 5:01:16 PM
The russians finally get one of their subs back out to sea and your concerned? Do they still buy 80% of their wheat from us?
 geeleebee
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/5/2009 6:04:57 PM

...A statement by U.S. Northern Command confirmed the American military's tracking of the Russian submarines. "We have been monitoring them during transit and recognize the right of all nations to exercise freedom of navigation in international waters according to international law," said the statement.

At a Pentagon briefing on today, press secretary Geoff Morrell told reporters that the submarine patrol had not raised red flags because the Russian navy is free to operate in international waters as much as the U.S. Navy does.
http://abcnews.go.com/News/story?id=8257819&page=1

Put down the shovel--no need to dig a bomb shelter just yet.
 SgrsShak
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/5/2009 8:00:22 PM
I am LMAO! I certainly didn't expect these answers!!!!!!
 SgrsShak
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/6/2009 3:58:08 PM
They are coming to kidnap Sara Palin....Thank you Jesus
!
Jed I love you! you are too funny!
But take heed in what GoBears has to say~ They may be building an Underwater City as the Japanese!
(Okinawa, Japan - Gulf of Cambay. North sea: 2007)
 cotter
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2014 12:58:20 PM

Yet 200 miles off the East Coast of the USA are Russian Subs ....
If they do come here, they won't find much but a bunch of glorified hicks.

My nephew's wife just got back from a visit in Russia (her homeland) so I was asking her about how they feel about what Putin is up to over in Ukraine. She told me they just love Putin and you won't find anyone complaining about him. Then she said, "They glorify him over there ... whereas over here, they glorify hillbillies."

I have to say that she makes a point ... we glorify dumb hicks who make duck calls, we glorify some guy who drives donut holes in his front lawn because he's so happy his heartburn medication works when he pigs out on southern fried fat.

We spend gazillions invading other sovereign nations and then we have to take up collections to take care of vets ... because the VA won't help them. We have country & western stars making commercials for that who can't even correctly pronounce the names of the countries they sing about.
Posted: 4/21/2014 2:18:46 PM
Ya know...beyond all critiques this way and that, about Putin, Obama, whether or not something is being handled like everyone feels that it should be, etc...it is sad. Sad, unfortunate, because no matter what else, despite everything else...if things are pushed very far, no matter what else happens in the details, including Europe or U.S.A. sustaining some damage in whatever respects or when and how they respond, there is one thing that is "for sure". One guaranteed result, no matter what other things result depending on what direction everything plays out. And that result is that Russia will be screwed up. No matter what else, Russia will basically self-destruct/be smashed in some respects relatively. No matter how else it all ends up - even if substantial "damage" is sustained elsewhere, the one who won't recover very well is Russia, and that includes it's standing in the eyes of the rest of the world. And I say that this is sad, because what we've been trying to do for some decades now if not centuries is move the world into a better future which includes nations behaving better in many ways, and Russia is trying to take some steps backwards. I'd like to see Russia finally become something better, but what's going on lately will not take Russia in that direction.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/21/2014 8:58:30 PM
That is hilarious that an obscure thread from AUGUST 2009 was brought back for reasons unknown.
Posted: 4/22/2014 3:06:16 AM
^ Those subs are still there, 200 miles off our east coast. We think they're trying to homestead, or something. Like they have a houseboat or something. They been trying to fish for the last few years, but really some kid has been sneaking them ham and cheese sandwiches in his picnic basket.
 cotter
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2014 11:38:44 AM

... an obscure thread from AUGUST 2009 was brought back for reasons unknown.
... Oh dear ... say it ain't so ... our resident wannabe forum moderator doesn't know that we're expected to use older threads instead of starting new threads that cover same subjects?

Anyhoo ...

OT ...
I recently spoke with some Marine friends (who were visiting at Easter dinner) and they are telling me that no one wants to be deployed to any "Russian" anything. So let the "subs" sit there and let Putin do what he wants ... the Marines have decided they are not interested in throwing more DU/dirty bombs around at this time.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/22/2014 12:44:13 PM
Just scanned the world news.
There are no fresh reports about Russian nuclear submarines in naval exercises off our coasts.
If they did "up periscopes!" they would observe a pro-America and generally happy society.
Posted: 4/23/2014 3:37:12 AM
Something that I think isn't too unrealistic that I suspect, hope, has long since happened/been happening is that all "enemy" subs, let alone subs with nuclear missles, are constantly shadowed by "our" subs 24/7, and if any of these launch anything we have some sort of capabilities to send something directly after it to disable it in one of a few ways/in a couple of respects...I'd just hope that this also means some way of keeping the nuclear payload from detonating despite it's trajectory being thwarted or the rest of the missle being taken out.

(reviving an old thread - let's just hope we don't get this one killed...at least two on Ukraine got killed so far, it being another subject that's so loaded and bicker-worthy)
 Coma_White
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2014 10:34:52 AM
It would have been interesting to see how the global landscape would have turned out if Russia lost world war two. If Germany, or any Western European country for that matter, was a larger power, they would probably be easier to deal with than Russia. Countries like Germany, France, England, Spain, etc are more influenced by Western values. Russia has more influence from Eastern countries with different values. One example would be the attitudes toward homosexuality as you travel from Western Europe to Eastern Europe. Attitudes get more and more conservative and negative as you move east. The dispute in the Crimea region is no surprise after all the land grabs Russia has done in recent history. Half of my family is Ukrainian and I would love to go there one day, but not while there are riots.
 Coma_White
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2014 3:15:00 PM

The Nazis were certainly big fans of homosexuality and overall very pleasant people.

You're making the assumption that a country wouldn't evolve from 1945 to 2014. Russia didn't stay the same from 1945 to 2014, so why would Germany, especially when it has closer ties to Western culture? I've already explained how Western society is more accepting of homosexuality than Eastern society today. The world didn't accept homosexuality during world war 2, not just the Germans. I won't explain why homosexuals were targeted by Nazis since I assume most people have a basic knowledge of history. There were many moderate German commanders during this time like Rommel. My grandfather was conscripted to fight for the Wehrmacht and never had a violent bone in his body.
 Coma_White
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2014 9:35:53 PM

My grandfather was a colonel in the Red Army and made it all the way to Berlin. It's good they never met and we're both here today.

I'm more thankful that my grandmother didn't meet the friendly Red Army. My grandfather was captured on three occasions. He escaped and then posed as a Danish farmer and buried his uniform. After the war, he helped the reconstruction efforts and joined his wife in Canada a few years later. He was a supply officer in the military.
 cotter
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2014 12:10:45 PM

Those girls who did a dance in a church in front of the altar? I'd personally whip their ass.

Why? Wasn't it just a protest?

What about the people who march in protest for one reason or another ... should they also eventually expect some sort of ass whipping?

OT ...
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/04/american-troops-eastern-europe-ukraine-russia-105910.html
U.S. sending troops to Eastern Europe
The U.S. is sending about 600 ground troops to Eastern Europe this week to “reassure” allies there as Washington resumes its campaign of pressure on Russia over the Ukraine standoff.

About 150 soldiers from the 173rd Infantry Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), based in Italy, are heading to each of four countries — Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia — in rotational deployments that the Pentagon says will be sustained until further notice.

The paratroopers will take weapons and ammunition for “infantry exercises” and be in place by the end of the week, Pentagon Press Secretary Rear Adm. John Kirby told reporters at the Pentagon. The roughly company-sized units will remain in place for about a month, and then new ones will follow them until at least the end of the year.

Oh great ... here we go again!
 Coma_White
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2014 12:52:29 PM

Why? Wasn't it just a protest?

What about the people who march in protest for one reason or another ... should they also eventually expect some sort of ass whipping?

It depends what country you live in. In some countries, you're not allowed to say certain things without being jailed or executed.

Oh great ... here we go again!

I hope the situation will get better. Russia doesn't need to steal land from the Ukraine. The thing that annoys me is that I would love to visit the Ukraine. Half of my family is from the Ukraine and I would love to visit Odessa to see the catacombs.

Because it is a church, and the parishioners who go there to pray to God deserve a little respect for their sacred site. If these girls did the same protest out on a public square, I would not give a rat's ass.
See the link attached: Universal Code of Conduct on Holy Sites.
http://www.sfcg.org/programmes/jerusalem/ucchs.pdf
"Holy Sites are places of profound significance and sacred religious attachment whose special character and integrity are to be preserved"

I would agree that protesting inside a church isn't appropriate. I do think the punishment was pretty severe though. Then again, during the olympics, the Russian police only whipped them on live tv, so I guess they're getting more moderate.
 cotter
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2014 1:01:33 PM

Because it is a church ...
Hmmmm ... I guess I'm really lucky that the church I attended wouldn't have considered it at all a problem. We would have just considered it an expression of their opinion ... and free thoughts are encouraged at the church I occasionally attend.
 Coma_White
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2014 2:26:20 PM

Perhaps, and there is no doubt that it was political. However, Russia has a long history of churches being desecrated and disrespected during Communism starting with Lenin's times. (The church where I went as a child in Moscow, was only opened to worshippers in 1989, and between 1937 and 1989 it was closed and used as a storage facility.) Some churches were destroyed, some had the cupola taken off, some "just" closed. It took and continues to take so much effort and so many donations to restore them. So, what they did understandably hit a nerve with a lot of people. If someone tried the same at St. Peter's at the Vatican or at St. Patrick's in NY, I'm sure they would not get patted on the back either.

They probably wouldn't live to tell about it if they did it at Mecca. I can understand people being sensitive over holy sites that have been damaged over the years. Two years in jail for a protest is a bit long in my opinion, but I'm sure they have their reasons. By the way, do you speak Russian? I'm trying to learn Hungarian. I really like how Europe has so many different cultures and languages in a "small" area.
Posted: 4/25/2014 11:42:13 PM
imported_labor:

Ya know...beyond all critiques this way and that, about Putin, Obama, whether or not something is being handled like everyone feels that it should be, etc...it is sad. Sad, unfortunate, because no matter what else, despite everything else...if things are pushed very far, no matter what else happens in the details, including Europe or U.S.A. sustaining some damage in whatever respects or when and how they respond, there is one thing that is "for sure". One guaranteed result, no matter what other things result depending on what direction everything plays out. And that result is that Russia will be screwed up. No matter what else, Russia will basically self-destruct/be smashed in some respects relatively. No matter how else it all ends up - even if substantial "damage" is sustained elsewhere, the one who won't recover very well is Russia, and that includes it's standing in the eyes of the rest of the world. And I say that this is sad, because what we've been trying to do for some decades now if not centuries is move the world into a better future which includes nations behaving better in many ways, and Russia is trying to take some steps backwards. I'd like to see Russia finally become something better, but what's going on lately will not take Russia in that direction.
What kind of scenario are you talking about? The only way that Russia could be damaged beyond recovery would be an all-out nuclear war. I don't think that there would be a "rest of the world" after such a confrontation, at least not one that would include Europe and the US. Do you think that the Russians would care much about what other countries think of them after they are attacked with nuclear weapons?

I think that I was not including a serious nuclear exchange, without realizing it, when saying "no matter what direction things go". Maybe I'm in denial. I somehow have this idea, or hope, that if things escalate between two nations which have nuclear arms, they can escalate quite a bit yet all involved will refrain from doing that.

I'm thinking that perhaps the MAD idea will take precedence even in Putin's mind precisely because his motivations are trying to do well for Russia or just for himself, and no matter how violent, destructive, or bloody things get, anyone in his position will figure that going that far will defeat that purpose...that at that point instead of reacting from being stubborn, all concerned will have the sense to not go that far.
 DameWrite
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2014 12:09:38 PM
This pretty much explains it...

http://www.hamptoninstitution.org/west-marches-east-part-one.html#.U11V1lfeR-7

Who is really coming?
 Coma_White
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2014 12:42:52 PM

This pretty much explains it...

http://www.hamptoninstitution.org/west-marches-east-part-one.html#.U11V1lfeR-7

Who is really coming?

The Russians don't recognize the government of Ukraine as legitimate and they think all of Ukraine should belong to them. The so called "occupations" of Iraq and Afghanistan didn't result in the United States gaining land. If they were occupied, why is the United States military leaving and setting up democratic elections? The world is trying to stop Russia from taking land that doesn't belong to them. I don't see a problem with that. They tried to Eastern Europe before World War 2 and people fought back.
 cotter
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2014 5:47:52 PM

Who is really coming?

The Russians don't recognize the government of Ukraine as legitimate and they think all of Ukraine should belong to them.

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate.

My nephew's wife just returned home from Russia and she tells me that the word there is that Putin just wants everyone who wants to "belong" to Russia ... be allowed.

The so called "occupations" of Iraq and Afghanistan didn't result in the United States gaining land.
That's because they went seeking something other than acquiring land. They went for many reasons and one was to harvest natural resources.

I thought everyone was aware of that. We went to Iraq to harvest oil. Does anyone know what there might be in Afghanistan for us to harvest? I do.

The world is trying to stop Russia from taking land that doesn't belong to them.
The world ... or the United States?

I know this might not be a popular thing to say ... but I suspect the US is very interested in redeeming themselves based on their illegal actions in Iraq and Afghanistan ... because to be honest, what's going on with Ukraine is really none of our business.

They should leave that to the EU ... they're closer and they have a much better understanding for what is necessary there. We are ignorant of European and Eastern European culture and we need to keep our noses out of it.

I don't see a problem with that.

I do ... they need to keep their nose out of it. It's none of our business.

We need to place as much value and urgency on taking care of our poor and our hungry children.
 Coma_White
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2014 6:06:22 PM

The world ... or the United States?

I know this might not be a popular thing to say ... but I suspect the US is very interested in redeeming themselves based on their illegal actions in Iraq and Afghanistan ... because to be honest, what's going on with Ukraine is really none of our business.

They should leave that to the EU ... they're closer and they have a much better understanding for what is necessary there. We are ignorant of European and Eastern European culture and we need to keep our noses out of it.

The world is. That's why NATO countries like Canada are also sending military units. NATO requested Canadian participation. If world powers like the United States allow Russia to take land from sovereign nations, then it sets a precedent that Russia can do whatever it wants without getting a response from such powers.

I do ... they need to keep their nose out of it. It's none of our business.

We need to place as much value and urgency on taking care of our poor and our hungry children.

Do you also believe that Canada and the United States should have stayed out of world war one and two? The military also provides jobs to millions of people and allows them to get an education. No one complains when a mother or father in the military makes money to feed his family.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > "The Russians are coming" ....again????