Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Unethical foods?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 raxarsr
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Unethical foods?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
unethical foods?......is that like taking the last slice of pizza even though you already had more than your share?.
candy from a baby?
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Unethical foods?
Posted: 8/6/2009 2:04:08 PM
I kind of wonder why you are asking Bunky. Are you trying to define to yourself what you find acceptable by asking others how they feel? Or would you rather just listen to what is inside of you..and live your life accordingly. I doubt you'll change anyone's outlook here...if someone finds force feeding geese acceptable to produce foie gras...then they probably will continue to do so. But bringing the discussion to the site makes for the start of a good thread. Having lived on a farm my whole life..I witness the circle of life daily..and sometimes I don't find it all that pretty. A lot of people don't realize some things about modern agriculture though. They don't quite understand..that stressing an animal won't allow that animal to thrive, hence it isn't profitable to raise them. So when you don't agree with how some animals are raised..then you have to look at the results. If you compared the productivity of chickens from the '50s when most of them were raised in farmyards and small henhouses...it doesn't even come close to modern cage production. Chickens have a pecking order..and range raised chickens are more likely to kill each other than properly segregated caged layers. Does it make caging them any less distasteful..not really...but sometimes the ends justify the means, even when we wish they could be better. And believe me..the person most interested in bettering the conditions is the person who stands to profit from it. Here in Ohio there is a movement underway by the Humane Society of the United States to limit certain production practices. There are a lot of people who don't know if animal agriculture in Ohio will survive if some practices are banned.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 9
Unethical foods?
Posted: 8/6/2009 4:28:17 PM
I'd say stolen food is unethical. Poisoned food also unethical.

Veal may be baby cow, but it is delicious baby cow.
There may be foods I don't like (Seafood) but has nothing to do with ethics. I prefer to eat humanely raised animals, but if my options are commercial meat or no meat, oh, I'm definitely eating the commercial meat as opposed to no meat.
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Unethical foods?
Posted: 8/8/2009 1:53:34 PM
Jaxi..you raised a point I've made a couple times in discussions over the years. We all head down to the local Mickey D's for a burger..without a thought of where the beef came from. What if it was a requirement that anyone who wanted to consume beef had to participate in the killing and slaughtering of one animal. Do you think we'd have a lot more vegetarians running around..or more people with respect for the choice they make to consume animal protein? I kinda think I know the answer...LOL
 TodaysCatch
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Unethical foods?
Posted: 8/10/2009 11:09:06 AM
Why are baby sheep consumed in lieu of grown animals, and yet no one seems to be up in arms about that? It's a matter of
taste, apparently, as mutton is too "gamey", but does that make it right? Perhaps if lambs were kept in mobility-limited
enclosures like veal on the hoof we'd see some concern.
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Unethical foods?
Posted: 8/10/2009 2:07:32 PM
Just for the record...as a former sheep producer...I don't know if you call a lamb that weighs 120-150 lbs a "Baby"....It certainly is almost full grown. That is the size most recognized as ready for slaughter. Full grown ewes are only going to weigh from 175-210 lbs in some of the largest breeds, and rams will weigh in up to around 300. Both are sexually mature at much lighter weights. I've handled those "baby" sheep before..and believe me..they knock you on your butt with as much ease as a linebacker, LOL.
 arwen52
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Unethical foods?
Posted: 8/13/2009 8:02:45 PM
I think you have to figure it out for yourself. Myself, I'm an omnivore and I don't have any dilemma about it. But I respect those who do and I do make decisions sometimes about what I'll eat for ethical reasons.

I appreciate people who provide information. People need to know where there food comes from and what happens to it. But I object to anyone who tells me or anyone else what we should or shouldn't eat. It's a personal decision.
 vbxtc
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Unethical foods?
Posted: 8/14/2009 7:55:57 PM
I'm a lifelong fisherman and while I don't hunt myself I don't have a problem with those who do. As long as the animal is harvested in a legal and humane (very little suffering) manner I'm ok with it. Poaching game or killing endangered species crosses my personal ethical boundaries.
 jojoaus
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Unethical foods?
Posted: 8/15/2009 9:21:26 PM
As a vegetarian, I have zero problems with people hunting their food. I'm pretty sure someone who shoots lets say a deer, will use everything on that carcass. It seems very efficient to me. Also, culling animals that are feral, such as goats, camels and kangaroos here in Australia makes sense to me, even though I am obviously not going to eat it!
Unethical foods? Unethical farming practices is probably a better term. I'd tend to go with other posters on this- caged hens as egg laying machines, foie gras, veal... those kinds of practices make me weep, not because they are 'cute' animals, but because we ARE at the top of the food chain, and highly evolved, we have the ability to make decisions based on our understanding of right and wrong. In my opinion... its is wrong to cause suffering to any animal just because it results in a fattier pate or whiter softer meat. It is unnecessary when there are plenty of alternatives out there. I know its a fine line to tread, as slaughtering an animal is going to cause suffering (!!) but if people want to eat meat, it has to be killed somehow. I do believe slaughterhouses should be forced to use the most humane methods possible (and no, I have no idea what that might be).
Just my thoughts..
 Molly Maude
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Unethical foods?
Posted: 8/17/2009 6:25:33 PM
this is something I've struggled with ... I started what turned out to be a fun post on eating my garden snails ... it seemed such a logical idea ... I don't want the snails in my garden ... I don't want to poison them ... I love escargo in restaurants ... seemed logical ...

I gathered the snails and cared for them for about three days ... then turned them loose ... I'm such a wimp that I can't even kill a snail!

my mother once roasted a pet duck I'd had since it hatched ... I sobbed and cried for weeks ... it's a problem ...

I've grown artichokes that were too beautiful to kill and eat ... asparagus, too ...

if you DO distill it down to it's logical conclusion, tho ... not killing any living thing ... we'd end up eating dried leaves and bark from trees ... and ... when you think about it, the dried leaves and bark were intended to nurture the soil ...

ya gotta eat SOMETHING ... to be a part of the food chain, we've gotta partake of food ... so ... I'll just turn a blind eye ... be ignorant ... and let someone ELSE kill the fruits, vegetables, grains and meats that I eat! where does my food come from? the grocery store ... that's my story and I'm stickin to it!

tass08
Msg: 37
Unethical foods?
Posted: 8/23/2009 8:33:08 AM

I couldn't eat my dogs even if I were starving. They're my friends and we're gonna starve together.
If you die first, they'll eat you.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Unethical foods?