Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do women cook anymore??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sashimiboy
Msg: 1
Do women cook anymore??Page 1 of 36    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36)
Not to say that's all that women are good for or that women belong in the kitchen, but it bothers me when I see women almost proudly proclaiming that they can't cook like its a good thing. I don't think men and women are completely equal. We each do certain things better than the other. So make me a ham sammich and ill assemble that table we bought at ikea.
 HazelRose
Msg: 2
Do women cook anymore??
Posted: 8/6/2009 7:59:26 AM
I hate to say it Sashimi,but you are cruisin' for a bruisin' with this forum.
 big pacific
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Do women cook anymore??
Posted: 8/6/2009 8:01:00 AM
uhhhm wow. I mean i'm all for gender roles if the two people agree, but darn thats a really poor way to put it.

I cook in my relationship because i enjoy it (and have pickier quality standards).

Why not ask "Why are people proud of going outside of traditional gender roles" instead of calling out a specific gender?
 SASSYN89178
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Do women cook anymore??
Posted: 8/6/2009 8:02:33 AM
This is too funny!!!!
 chameleonf
Msg: 5
Do women cook anymore??
Posted: 8/6/2009 8:06:30 AM
Apparently a lot of women don't cook nowadays because they don't like too...just like the majority of men don't like to. Personally, I can cook, but I can also put together that table you suggested eating that ham sammich on.
 cookie22222
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Do women cook anymore??
Posted: 8/6/2009 8:09:29 AM
Yikes OP...I hope you live through this but I'll answer...

I cook. I was raised by my "grandparents" - born in 1902. TRUST me, I learned to cook! DO I cook - sometimes. I have a 20 year old son at home, and if he's around I'll throw together some dinner. But really that doesn't happen often. If it's just me I'm more likely to scramble an egg or have some cheese and Triscuits.

5 years ago before my fiancee died and when I had two teenage boys at home - there was a big dinner every night. Of course, I wasn't working then, so I had time. But even before that, with two younger kids and a full time job, they got a hot dinner every night. I would do a lot of cooking for the week on Sunday, so it wouldn't be midnight when we were having dinner during the week.

So yes, some women do cook. Are you going to take out the trash and mow the lawn while I'm in the kitchen?
 expat57
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Do women cook anymore??
Posted: 8/6/2009 8:24:02 AM
What I hear you really saying is: make you breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks .. 365 days a year .. whether or not I'm going to eat right when you do or not...

...and you will do the occasional odd jobs as they come up and as they interest you or if fall into your definition of 'men's work'...

Nice try.

With households having two people working outside the home full-time, it falls to everyone in the home, adults and children too .. to keep the home running. Cooking, cleaning, laundry, yard work, maintenance, automobiles, meal planning, shopping, activity planning, etc, etc, are things everyone needs to learn and participate in.

I, by the way, advised my three daughters NOT to learn to cook, or rather, to learn to cook only the things they like to eat. Big deal, you want to grill out a couple times a month during the warm months. I suggested they only learn to cook if they enjoyed it .. otherwise, only learn what they like to eat, like any bachelor/bachelorette. Two of my daughters love cooking and have taken on that role in their homes. My other daughter doesn't even like to go into the kitchen for a glass of water, though she does know how to feed herself and can cook if she has to. She paired up with a man who enjoys cooking as a hobby and who prefers that it's 'his kitchen'.

You want a sandwich? Learn to spell it, this is not kindergarten, (you hit one of my pet peeve buttons - babytalk in adults .. ugh!) .. and fix it yourself unless I offer .. or unless you ask me to and you also do the same for me more than just rarely.
Are you looking for a life-companion or a mommy to pick up your socks? Sheesh!
 packagedealx3
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Do women cook anymore??
Posted: 8/6/2009 8:49:15 AM
Color me weird but my daughter cooks very well and my boys are learning, and all three of them like it.

I think cooking should be shared because it is kind of nice to cook with someone rather than one or the other always preparing meals alone. On a good day, cooking together is great foreplay.
 cinsav
Msg: 9
Do women cook anymore??
Posted: 8/6/2009 8:49:44 AM
Doesn't matter to me if she can cook or not. I can and love to cook.
 Sabrosura
Msg: 10
Do women cook anymore??
Posted: 8/6/2009 8:49:56 AM
OP: If I'm interpreting your thoughts correctly; you believe women should do the cooking ( because of course we're "better" at it), and men at assembling/building things.

I think there are men who would beg to differ i.e. Emeril, Wolfgang Puck, Bobby Flay, and Rocco DiSpirito (for starters).

I don't profess to be a dynamic cook, but I won't starve (neither will my partner). It's not one of my passions, but I don't enjoy eating out all the time! I have dated men that actually love sharing this task or both of us cooking together (I find this very romantic).
 damassteel
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Do women cook anymore??
Posted: 8/6/2009 9:16:11 AM
After my mom saw me trying to make a grill cheese sandwich on the radiator when I was nine, she said"That's not the way to do it. Would you like to learn how it's done?"She proceeded to teach me to cook and learn it I did.

In most relationships I've been in with the exception of my wife, I've been the better cook. My mom also taught me to iron clothes properly and to sew. All of which I do passably well.

Her take on the subject was that these were skills ANY adult should possess; gender irrelevant. I totally agree. Knowing these skills has made my life easier and much more independent. Along with wrenching my own car, putting up drywall, basic carpentry,etc. and knowing my way around a machine shop, I feel very competent in the world, which is a nice feeling to be sure.
 Sabrosura
Msg: 12
Do women cook anymore??
Posted: 8/6/2009 9:23:25 AM
WindRoper: I have a better idea! I'll use that ikea table and turn you into a d*** panini. MUWAHAHAHA!

damassteel: After my mom saw me trying to make a grill cheese sandwich on the radiator when I was nine, she said"That's not the way to do it.

Awwwww.....That's too cute! haha
 saggy ass and saggy tits
Msg: 13
Do women cook anymore??
Posted: 8/6/2009 9:44:29 AM
op

you support my ass financially and send me on holidays, buy me jewlery and so on

i shal in return make you breakfast served in bed, pack you a nutrious lunch and i will be waiting wrapped in cerain wrap with your dinner
 Vannili
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Do women cook anymore??
Posted: 8/6/2009 9:46:12 AM
I don't * know how to cook* if a man is inviting his self for a date to come to my house and cook him dinner. Not even to make him a ham sammich......
 Commonsens
Msg: 15
Do women cook anymore??
Posted: 8/6/2009 10:01:42 AM
dead man walking!

Do I look I care if a woman cook or not? I cook and pretty good at it too, so it make no difference for me.

BTW : microwave zapping is not cooking, nor is calling for delivery....LOL!
 Bablynbrook
Msg: 16
Do women cook anymore??
Posted: 8/6/2009 10:03:16 AM
In my family it was always my dad that cooked dinner. I would try to hang out in the kitchen with him and help, but mostly I would get shooed away. That was his domain. I enjoy cooking, but I dont always have the time to cook the way I would like. After work, the gym and in between the hour commute home, school work (for the kids), and baths I find myself throwing together something quick for my girls. It doesnt allow a lot of time to hone my cooking skills. That being said, on the weekends there are times when I want to really take the time to try a new recipe and enjoy spending hours in the kitchen. My point is this: If I make food be happy with what you get, otherwise make it yourself. Plain and simple!
 Commonsens
Msg: 17
Do women cook anymore??
Posted: 8/6/2009 10:16:29 AM
as long as the food doesn't come from there too!
 sweetest
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Do women cook anymore??
Posted: 8/6/2009 10:21:39 AM
I cook. Self-taught at age 12 or so out of necessity. My mom hated cooking. My dad encouraged my early interest and it grew in enjoyment as I became more competent. While I still cook, though for not so many of us anymore, the emphasis has changed and is more about being able to know and control what goes into my body. I miss cooking for someone special. It would be great to meet a match for the long haul that shares this similar focus on healthy eating who has an interest in learning if not some outright outrageous talent in the kitchen.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Do women cook anymore??
Posted: 8/6/2009 10:51:35 AM
I cooked because we needed to eat; I could never get it as creative self expression tho' and I always got a little panicky about getting everything to time-out correctly. ESPECIALLY those first few meals I cooked for my sweetie - I got completely stressed out and thoroughly distracted by his presence and totally screwed up things I would normally have cooked just fine. My sweetie knew how to cook and, like many men, really discovered the joy of cooking after his divorce. I thought one of the advantages in having him move in was I would be well fed... yeah right, didn't think that one through cuz with his work schedule, I'm still cooking. LOL.

My 16 year old daughter is - for some absolutely inexplicable reason - a foodie. She thinks about food; what makes a dish wow or so-so, how it is plated, how it photographs, and, as she is a jock, she's recently become very interested in nutrition. The two of them have had many conversations about food - they've kind of bonded in the kitchen - and I've, well, I've been dragged along into it. I've become interested in spite of myself.... or maybe it's just cuz the dinner table critiques are inspiring. We all tease without mercy and congratulate each other when our efforts work out well. At any rate, cooking has become fun for me and consequently I'm getting much better at it.
 Bablynbrook
Msg: 20
Do women cook anymore??
Posted: 8/6/2009 10:58:16 AM
You know what I really love? I love it when I am in the kitchen with my man and we make dinner together. There is something about experimenting and creating something delicious over a glass of wine that is a real aphrodisiac.
 sweetest
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Do women cook anymore??
Posted: 8/6/2009 11:13:01 AM

You know what I really love? I love it when I am in the kitchen with my man and we make dinner together. There is something about experimenting and creating something delicious over a glass of wine that is a real aphrodisiac.

^^^I'm with ya on this. Cooking can be very sensual...well, when it involves something more than a ham sammich anyway ;)
 hollyfilly
Msg: 22
Do women cook anymore??
Posted: 8/6/2009 11:18:08 AM
Dear OP,

I would rather go out to eat. It is just easier, but I can grill a great steak and fix a baked potatoe and a fine garden salad to go with it. I also do not like leftovers so that goes along with cooking huge meals for a family. But yes, I know how to cook I would just rather be doing something else.
 ColonelIngus
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Do women cook anymore??
Posted: 8/6/2009 11:26:37 AM

I sort of agree; it's like a guy bragging that he never cleans his toilet.
Actually it might be more like the guy bragging that he doesn't do any of that traditional male stuff men used to do way back in the 1950's, like earn a living.
 chameleonf
Msg: 24
Do women cook anymore??
Posted: 8/6/2009 11:53:36 AM

Now all I have to do is to find a gal who can rebuild an engine and I'll make her meals while she is cranking those wrenches.

Snickers. You make it sound as though the majority of men know what they're doing around vehicles and tools - soooooo not true, even with men my age. The last time my daughter took her vehicle in for a repair, it was a woman at the shop who did the work. Apparently, a lot of male only abilities have gone the way of the women's lack of interest in cooking. A lot of these different "gender" things were done out of necessity or because of interest or "expected" interest because of gender, as well as a sheeple attitude. Now, if you're not interested and if you have the money to pay someone to do that which you neither have the interest or experience, that's what you do. I so hate "gender roles". There's a lot to be said for being self-sufficient, no matter your gender and no matter the task.
 sashimiboy
Msg: 25
Do women cook anymore??
Posted: 8/6/2009 12:22:59 PM
Im glad to see im not alone on this topic. Its not so much women don't know how to cook, its the fact that they refuse to learn for whatever reasons. Sure men are good cooks as well, but we can't do everything around the house.

Who do you call when you can't reach something in the cupboard? Need the lawn mowed? Car leaking oil? Plumbing? TV/Entertainment hookups? Cant open that jar of pasta sauce? Need help lifting a heavy box?

On top of that you want us to cook, clean, AND do laundry while you sit on your ass and eat bon bons and watch oprah and the view. That's not sharing responsibilities in my book.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do women cook anymore??