Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Your personal forum history      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bernta
Msg: 1
Your personal forum historyPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I met someone from POF that commented that he had read my "history" in the forums. It made me wonder what impression someone would get doing that so I went and read all of my old posts. It was "interesting"!

I'm wondering if anyone else has ever read their own history and, if you have, what were your thoughts? Were you still happy with what you wrote? Embarassed? Did you find things that you wished you had said differently? Or not at all?

I've seen it said more than once on here that our forum posts represent us better than our profiles so I'm wondering, how accurately do YOU feel your posts represent the real you?

And just in case you were wondering, I thought mine do a pretty good job of it, although I'm not sure my "humor" carries through as planned. (Maybe I'll rethink making jokes!) I did actually find one thing that I had forgotten I had written that I thought, with a touch of editing, was worth remembering.

"If you believe you are unlovable, you will always be looking for proof of your belief."

berni
 Dancing_4_You
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Your personal forum history
Posted: 8/10/2009 8:12:38 PM
i wish someone read my forum history. most of them don't get past my profile! i think that those of us who are e-buddies tend to read what is up with one another or use each others posts to find some good threads. every now and then i make a copy of my forum history--especially my skunk remedy! i hope before i die, i remember to take my pic off my threads! i've found myself here and there just googling a key word or two. future archaeologists will not need a shovel!
 JWG86
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/10/2009 8:16:24 PM
They would gather insite into my beliefs in a lot of things. It would help them to determine if we are compatible or not in several areas. I am all for someone reading my forum history as I post as the person I am. No point in them not know who I am, is there?
 DemonDingleBerry
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/10/2009 8:21:49 PM

I'm wondering if anyone else has ever read their own history and, if you have, what were your thoughts?

That I watched too many movies in the 80's and 90's as most of what I say seems to come from some romantic comedy I manage to catch again on Starz or Showtime or whatever.

Were you still happy with what you wrote? Embarassed? Did you find things that you wished you had said differently? Or not at all?

Yes.

I've seen it said more than once on here that our forum posts represent us better than our profiles so I'm wondering, how accurately do YOU feel your posts represent the real you?

Not much. I hope I am more than simply the sum of my ideas and black type on a webpage.
 oblivion77
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/10/2009 8:25:00 PM
Yes I went back and read it and I think it represents me very well. Lots of things you don't have time or patience to say in your profile. I'm really glad we can read other people's forum history too, it reveals a lot.
 Alli_oop
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/10/2009 8:31:18 PM
I don't think I'd go back and read my history. I think it would be too much like listening to a recording of myself and that wincing feeling, and that "omg i "sounded" like such a loser there". hah. I just can't torture myself by looking.
 daynadaze
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2009 10:31:08 PM
Forum posts, like profiles, are just one-sided views of someone, anyone who thinks they know me from my posts, don't me at all. Like most people, I'm much more complicated than my opinions on any one day.

Now I do think you can find out some important things, like does the person get all huffy about nothing, can they take a joke or a disagreement without getting all pissy, do they whine/piss/moan over little things, do they bash other people, are they hung up on exes, do they carry around the past on their back, etc.
 futureshock
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2009 10:40:59 PM
I thought you could only read your last 25 posts. How does a person access their entire forum posting history?
 Dancing_4_You
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2009 11:46:00 PM
past the 25 posts, if you know what the buzz words were in the title you can search them. but i doubt a stranger, short of a psychic, would know them. that being said, try putting your pof name in google or a search engine. couple that with a buzz word and it gets kind of scary!
 Not The Cable Guy
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2009 12:25:04 AM
I've absolutely no regrets about the content of any post I've ever made in these forums...

OK, sometimes I might wince and think; "Shit... I could have written that better"... But that's about it...

You have an edit window which remains open for, what?... maybe fifteen minutes?...

In the overall scheme of things, and depending on your point of view about time; that's a fairly ample grace period...

Learn to use it to your advantage... Sixteen minutes is too late....
 SexyKG74
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2009 1:11:52 AM
I don't regret anything I've said in the threads...

I've had a couple of guys tell me they've read a few of my comments...I also have received emails from men and women who have complimented me on my frankness and will even ask me for advice that they didn't want to have it posted in the threads...while I totally didn't expect it, it's rather flattering. I've actually learned a thing or two from a few people here...

Even if I don't agree with certain people, it's great to hear what people from diverse walks of life are thinking...
 Write Time
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2009 3:01:03 AM
I can't say I've gone back to read my forum history, but I know I try to be sincere when I post. And I only post when I feel I have something constructive to add -- I'm not a troll looking to humilate anyone. So, I hope the sincerity conveys.

Women have approached me solely on the basis of forum activity, and I do think that's a good thing. Y'know, a photo is a superficial image, and a profile is the contrived message that we want to send to the world. Forum posts tend to be the real deal, and I think they do say a lot about a person.
 itechman63
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2009 9:10:59 AM
When I post in the forums, I feel free to discuss things that are personal to me as they apply to a topic that I often won't discuss to someone in real life. I'll weigh in on political issues and I have some clear opinions of such, but I'll never sit across from you at a table and offer my political opinions unsolicited and often will not get into detail and shift the discussion to something lighter.
 Shahof
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2009 9:45:58 AM
I agree that this forum does give an opportunity to get a better feel of how someone truely feels about thinks and does alot a little pleasure when you you see that someone you favored shares some of your views.

It also does provide an opportunity to express your views without the possibilty of a personal confrontation.

This became so apparent to me as I was with a group of freinds who were in a politcal discussion and became so ugly to one another. I thought of refering them to this sight so that they could preserve what is left of their relationships.

I mean these are opinions based on how we process information provided to us. For everything we believe to be fact, someone else can shows us 5 things to didprove it.
 Wanton Calf
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/11/2009 10:33:26 AM
There's a lot of manure sprinkled through these forums but also things get said which amuse or inspire me so much I print them out and tack them to my revolving bulletin board.

A fellow fish wrote something in a forum that I really liked and it stayed with me so I searched but couldn't find it again or even remember who wrote it.

Meanwhile, I started up an idle conversation with a man I thought was cute, and we had an instant connection. I made a point to get a cup of coffee and sit at the screen to read his "history."

Can you guess the ending to this little fairy tale? This man I chose (randomly I thought) was the same man who'd written the "missing" bit of insightfulness that I'd been trying to locate.

I fear I may not be answering your question. In this regard, my posts represent the real me very accurately.
 some woman
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/11/2009 11:17:10 AM
I generally read my own posting history every few months, usually as I'm updating my profile. My memory isn't very good anymore, so I like to review my posted thoughts in case there are any I'd like to include in my updates.

Since I post the same way I think and speak, I have never (yet) regretted or felt embarrassed by anything I've said here. I've caught a few typos and some bad grammar that I sometimes wish I could have corrected before the 15 minute edit time expired, but all in all my posts are an excellent representation of me.

I agree with Write Time about this:
Y'know, a photo is a superficial image, and a profile is the contrived message that we want to send to the world. Forum posts tend to be the real deal, and I think they do say a lot about a person.

Near the bottom of my profile, I actually suggest reading my forum posts if anyone wants to learn more about me. I sure wouldn't do that if I was embarrassed by them.
 barbee1970
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/11/2009 11:38:50 AM
I think my forum history gives life to my profile. People can see my way of thinking.
 RedCassandra
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2009 3:26:28 AM
I used to post a LOT here. A LOT. So, occasionally I would have to look up my own posting history for crossreference. For the most part I was quite happy with my posts, and when I was not it was because I was maybe a bit too harsh on occasion (or two ). I was never embarrassed by what I posted, in fact there are couple of posts (and threads that I started) of which I am quite proud. I think that my posts were pretty accurate representations of how I think or feel about variety of topics.

Having said that, I will use the chance to warn people against putting too much trust in forum posts.

Forum posts tend to be the real deal, and I think they do say a lot about a person.

If a person is really honest, this statement holds the truth as forums give us a chance to see how they interact with others, as well as the depth of their thinking which cannot be learned from profiles alone.

However, forums can be used for misrepresentations - just like profile, or any other media. Over my one year of posting there were very few people who really impressed me with their forum posts. Three different men stood out in particular.... Although they did not have much in common (a retired marine, an Italian businessman, and a Texas cowboy) their posts always exuded a good common sense, and were also very informative. But, above all they portrayed them as men of integrity, independent thinkers who don't "follow the crowd". This was not just my opinion; they were well respected - many other posters agreed with them (and ladies were swooning left and right). I was friends with all of them and we often emailed... so, imagine my surprise when I learned that all 3 of them were ONE and same person... a person who had nothing in common with any of those "people"... a person who had NO integrity whatsoever...

*shrugs*

Live and Learn.

James Bottomtooth III
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/14/2009 6:15:37 AM

I met someone from POF that commented that he had read my "history" in the forums. It made me wonder what impression someone would get doing that so I went and read all of my old posts. It was "interesting"!

I'm wondering if anyone else has ever read their own history and, if you have, what were your thoughts? Were you still happy with what you wrote? Embarassed? Did you find things that you wished you had said differently? Or not at all?

I have not bothered to go back and read my old posts but I do tend to read the histories of users that start threads wanting the posts removed from their profiles.
 readyfornow
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2009 9:29:25 AM
Very seldom do I ever regret anything I've posted here. Sometimes I might wish I had chosen better wording, but usually I'm disappointed when the thread itself gets shut down/deleted. But then again, that's life in the forums. When meeting women from this site, I'm usually asked about certain posts I've made and we end up having some pretty good conversations. Also, I've never been criticized for any of my comments. In some cases; they might have a question or two, but that's about all.
 The Artful Codger
Msg: 21
Forum History
Posted: 8/14/2009 10:33:29 AM

I do tend to read the histories of users that start threads wanting the posts removed from their profiles.
LOL, me too. Way more interesting than reading my own spewage.
 *buzz*
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2009 12:57:45 PM

how accurately do YOU feel your posts represent the real you?

My posts give quite a good "snapshot" of who I'm and between the lines there is even more "food for thought".

As for my personal forum history - I'm not bothered about it. But I would believe than rather than to spend time reading "A - Z" someone's history better would be to "meet & greet" and get the first hand experience of the outside the PoF pond.
 Uncle Fist
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/14/2009 1:48:15 PM
Oh, I'm sure mine probably paints me as a complete jerk. I've said some pretty uncool things on here over the months. Some of those things I feel bad about. Some not so much. Depends on the context.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/14/2009 3:26:52 PM
~OT~ I don't think most read the entire history, and I don't bother reading my own history. I know that many have read the five posts that show in my profile because I get comments on an ongoing basis about what's viewable via the profile itself. I don't post anything here I wouldn't say out loud so I don't worry about what's here. Do my posts reflect "who" I am? I certainly hope so or I have some serious multiple-personality-disorder going on.
 Vancer
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/14/2009 3:31:02 PM
Sean Connery is so incredibly sexy.

I haven't done that in a while. I used to post that, just because it shows up in the profile post history.
It is fun to write something that will give a very differrent impression of me, if the whole post wasn't read.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Your personal forum history