Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > When should mum stop being so much of a mum?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 electric-gypsy
Msg: 8
view profile
History
When should mum stop being so much of a mum?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Ignore the haters. We'd rather hear about Moms treating their kids well than treating them poorly!
 Cargy.
Msg: 26
view profile
History
When should mum stop being so much of a mum?
Posted: 8/12/2009 3:13:37 AM
Nothing wrong with loving your kids all their lives, but I think Nats has got the right idea by gradually introducing self-sufficiency as they get older.

Otherwise all the darling little boys will get married/attached at some point (assuming they actually leave home before their 40's!), and then automatically expect their new partner to become a surrogate Mum, waiting on them hand, foot, and finger!

...Oh, Hang on! Judging by some of the whinges I've read on various forums over the years, I think that happens quite a lot anyway!

I can't speak for the girls, but I suspect similar consequences where they expect to be treated like pampered princesses.

...Oh, yeah... that happens too!
 zerotasker
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2009 10:47:27 AM
Allwoman54 has hit the nail squarely on the head. A good, healthy, family relationship between parents and their children should continue throughout your lifetime.

My lovely old mum and dad (81 and 86 respectively) still sometimes talk to my sister (64) and I (57) as though we were hopeless teenagers! Far from being offended, we both realise that they care deeply and worry about us.

It would be easy to take offence when I am told that I should eat cabbage or celery or Marmite, (always hated all three) because they are good for me, but it always makes me smile. I wouldn't have it any other way, and anyone who is bothered by it should look hard at their own relationships and realise what they are missing.
 CK1708
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2009 3:29:49 AM

When she is dead
 pantsonfire
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2009 3:41:53 AM
There's nothing better than that five minute chat at bedtime... Everything comes out at that chat, worries, fears, hopes, aspirations, potential girlfriends, the lot...

Mind you it's more often held with him sitting at the bottom of my bed now rather than my sitting at the bottom of his...

He can't sleep unless he's had his goodnight kiss and he's nearly 16...

When it's school time, I wake him with a cuppa and a slice of toast.. Not because he demands it but because I enjoy doing it...

He can cook, iron, wash, whatever.. And he does... But for me, being a mum is about spoiling my children, giving them that extra special something that they won't ever have again... There is a fine line between spoiling a child and ruining them I agree but a little extra love and attention does no harm...

It's keeping the lines of communication open and that's probably the most important aspect of good parenting..
 gjay1
Msg: 43
Posted: 8/13/2009 3:26:13 PM
whenever my son is with me , i always have the "goodnight and tuck in" time with him, and he likes me to what he calls "fooof" the doona lol, now this is a great hulking 6foot 2 inch lump of a young fella, who thinks its hysterical to pick me up, and , jokingly, threaten to dump me in the mud or whatever is handy at the time!! he also cooks me a mean spag bol or whatever i feel like like at the end of a long day.
i went camping last weekend with him, and he said at he end, that it was the best fun hed had in ages, so, i reckon, theres nothing wrong with doing the "mum" thing, as long as that includes teaching them the neccessary life skills
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > When should mum stop being so much of a mum?