Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Removing non-religious, and replacing.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Red Buttons
Msg: 8
Removing non-religious, and replacing.Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I myself think the "non-religious" is fine as is---should someone want to know more they need only ask the profile holder if they'd care to explain.

Having too many tightly defined categories or descriptions seems counterproductive if becoming acquainted is the goal of posting a profile here on Plenty Of Fish.
Removing non-religious, and replacing.
Posted: 9/15/2011 6:44:38 AM
I read non-religious as really saying, "I don't want to risk missing out on a date due to my religious beliefs so I'll say non-religious." I always ask, "What were you BEFORE you were non-religious?"
 MGoose
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 9/15/2011 6:46:01 PM
And the answer is...

.... a Jedi.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2013 6:27:08 PM
There are all sorts of people who believe various things, and who don't want to see profiles of people who they disagree with.

There is no way to create enough categories to please them all. Even in this very old thread, there aren't two people who could use the same label on their profile.

Just learn to deal with the fact that either you have to reject people you don't want one by one, or you should join one of the sites dedicated to the exact religious beliefs you cherish. Just as you don't want unbelievers to come into your church, mosque, synagogue, or sacrificial chamber and demand that you create a special section for them to sit in, don't ask a general public site to cater to your narrow range of interests. It's illogical.
 trinity818
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/16/2013 10:59:42 AM

I just don't want the non-religious people to show up on my searches. Is it possible to categorize people by either religion or not?

When I looked at the Advanced Search screen, it shows a drop list with check boxes for religion. It seems to support multiple selections. So, you can check all but non-religious through that search function.
 PlentyofThis123
Msg: 21
Posted: 12/9/2013 2:50:59 AM

but, i can say that i think you are operating under some misplaced assumptions. i selected "non-religious", and i am neither an atheist, agnostic, or non-practicing christian. so, your suggestion wouldn't benefit me at all.

Yeah, I think they should replace "non-religious" with more specifics....one of the women I met on here who chose "non-religious" was a self-declared atheist....and they don't have atheist as a choice for some reason.
 PlentyofThis123
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/27/2013 5:40:38 PM

Atheism in broad thinking is the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. If you want to go a bit more specific, atheism is the belief there are no deities (i.e. simply the absence of belief that any deities exist) consequently why the "non religious" choice exists. That's how the "creator" no pun intended, of the site sees it.

Ah I see...so far I've met two women on here that had categorized themselves as "non-religious", both were atheists, then one, who had declared themselves as "non-religious" she was actually a non-denominational Christian. *shrug* go figure. I could see how it could get confusing.

So, Non-Denominational could equal Non-religious as well.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Removing non-religious, and replacing.