Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > The most important virtue over 60...for women and men.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ankkka
Msg: 1
The most important virtue over 60...for women and men.Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I just wonder...what is the most important virtue for people over 60...for men and women?Responsibility?Wisdom?Tolerance?Humor?Something else?
I think...at my age the most important virtue is kindness...for men and women.
 ForumFilly
Msg: 2
The most important virtue over 60...for women and men.
Posted: 8/12/2009 6:08:53 PM
Wow! That's a tough question. I'd have to say acceptance. The ability to accept people as they are, without trying to change them. Love me for who I am and don't try to change me into whom you think I should be.
 moraima
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2009 6:14:34 PM
To thine own self be true...........................
 OldFolkie
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2009 6:17:29 PM
It is a tough question! I think that I would have to say "humor". If you can laugh at your quirks and foibles, and smile at those of your partner, then life is much better. Humor includes the concept of tolerance, acceptance and even wisdom, at least to me.
A smile can go a very long ways in smoothing the rough patches inevitable in any relationship.
 ankkka
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/12/2009 6:26:05 PM
Acceptance...but not for me!
How I can accept people who are violent or rude?
 CEO of Hoagie Inc.
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/12/2009 6:40:58 PM
Staying alive would be very important to me.
 lorelei540
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/12/2009 6:42:22 PM

I think...at my age the most important virtue is kindness...for men and women.

I think at any age the most important virtue is kindness.
 Gaddflye
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/12/2009 6:50:47 PM
Sex appeal is still number one for me.
 Twisted Sister
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/12/2009 9:07:16 PM
I'm another one who's going for the sense of humour. Believe me, mine has certainly been a wonderful asset in dealing with the stuff life has thrown at me over the years. I've always been able to see the funny side of most things. It helps me put things into perspective. Besides, there's always someone out there who's much worse off than me and my troubles pale in comparison to what some people have had to endure. There aren't very many people who have ever seen me in a really bad mood. I can always find something funny in a situation and usually end up laughing about the whole thing.
 moraima
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2009 9:09:35 PM
Sanity is important to some...............others not so much.
 Twisted Sister
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/12/2009 9:25:25 PM

Sanity is important to some...............others not so much.

Well, I think somehow you missed that boat.
 ohdriver
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/12/2009 9:48:00 PM
forgiveness

…at any age
 cncgandolf
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2009 10:59:38 PM
"How I can accept people who are violent or rude?"

quote is: acceptance is the answer to all my prayers, there are no mistakes in
God's world.

I accept that people are what their actions show that they are .... and if I don't want to be around them I don't go around them. Or, I shield myself with love and kindness.

My vote? Self-honesty. All the other virtues are the outcome of self-honesty.
 SASSYN89178
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2009 11:24:02 PM
What does age have to do with the question?
 kayleegirl
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/12/2009 11:57:32 PM
i think it has to do with the question because we have lived long enough and experienced enough to have some insightful responses to the question.
 kayleegirl
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/12/2009 11:59:46 PM
truth/honesty gets my vote
 FriendlyFreeSpirit
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/13/2009 1:13:27 AM
I vote for integrity, compassion, tolerance and generosity of spirit.
Oh - that's four. Mmmmm....and the ability to count...
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2009 6:47:19 AM
sassyn89178 wrote:
What does age have to do with the question?

It doesn't.

The most important "virtue" for anyone of any age is "good character." To be a person of such repute that just the mention of your name is sufficient for most. Good character subsumes honesty, trust, humor, reliability, and self-control; your word is your bond.

TK
{Your character is what you do when no one is looking}
 gym12
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/13/2009 7:24:10 AM
Why has nobody suggested Wisdom ?
 rearguard*2
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2009 7:29:17 AM

Why has nobody suggested Wisdom ?

Probably because the older one gets, the more one realizes the little one really knows about anything. Its only the young that are convinced they know about life....
 peek~a~booo
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/13/2009 7:34:24 AM
how arrogant would you be if you felt you needed to accept people....that would make you superior wouldn't it?

i think people who have honesty with them self are top of the list...when ya really think about it life and how insignificant of a pizz ant you truely are to the planet, it is reasonable to have context on your value...alone you mean nothing but how you play and treat others is prbly more significant than how you personaly feel about yourself.

if you can't be the caretaker of your own star than what makes you think you belong holding someone elses value...you don't...chuckles.(circle in your own lil mind perhaps....)
i think wisdom is the top cuz it keeps you in allignment with others and not out in front in your own mind. i think that is what i mean./roar.

when i look at people me thinks every single one is a star or one in the making...in the end of the night each one will have been bright and eventually burn out.
light your light today cuz tomorrow might be too late..goodluck

flick that bic DARLIN!yeeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
 lipotufu
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/13/2009 8:34:21 AM
may i mention two "virtues" that are very important to me: openness, and stories.

if you're as open as i am then we've come home, at least for the moments that we're together. being open requires personal health. we don't need one another, and we smile broadly because we know that our friendship/love will both pleasure us and make us better people. let's be open and explore.

stories are important to me because i am living a life full of amazing stories. most of the folks i meet have lived contented, middle class, shopping mall lives. i know immediately when i meet someone who has lived a life open to many surprising experiences. i could write a book. most people can only watch movies.

each of us must be who we are. i'm content that i am who i am, and i'm content that you are who you are, unless you'd like to jump into the maelstrom with me.
 Me Leona
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/13/2009 9:04:23 AM
All of the virtues are described in chivalrytoday.com and chivalrynow.net.... so my answer is... chivalry! It's not just for men anymore.

That is my sense of humor and answer too.

I will develop my life for the greater good.
I will place character above riches, and concern for others above personal wealth.
I will never boast, but cherish humility instead.
I will speak the truth at all times, and forever keep my word.
I will defend those who cannot defend themselves.
I will honor and respect women, and avoid sexism in all its guises.
I will uphold justice by being fair to all.
I will be faithful in love and loyal in friendship.
I will abhor scandals and gossip-neither partake nor delight in them.
I will be generous to the poor and those who need help.
I will forgive when asked, that my own mistakes will be forgiven.
I will live my life with courtesy and honor from this day forward.

Courage
More than bravado or bluster, today’s knight in shining armor must have the courage of the heart necessary to undertake tasks which are difficult, tedious or unglamorous, and to graciously accept the sacrifices involved.
Justice
A knight in shining armor holds him- or herself to the highest standard of behavior, and knows that “fudging” on the little rules weakens the fabric of society for everyone.
Mercy
Words and attitudes can be painful weapons in the modern world, which is why a knight in shining armor exercises mercy in his or her dealings with others, creating a sense of peace and community, rather than engendering hostility and antagonism.
Generosity
Sharing what’s valuable in life means not just giving away material goods, but also time, attention, wisdom and energy — the things that create a strong, rich and diverse community.
Faith
In the code of chivalry, “faith” means trust and integrity, and a knight in shining armor is always faithful to his or her promises, no matter how big or small they may be.
Nobility
Although this word is sometimes confused with “entitlement” or “snobbishness,” in the code of chivalry it conveys the importance of upholding one’s convictions at all times, especially when no one else is watching.
Hope
More than just a safety net in times of tragedy, hope is present every day in a modern knight’s positive outlook and cheerful demeanor — the shining armor that shields him or her, and inspires people all around.
Each of these concepts is important in itself, and every one of these virtues is an admirable quality, but when all of them blend together in one person, we discover the value, and power, of chivalry today. Modern-day knights should strive to keep these virtues alive in their own hearts, but, perhaps more importantly, they should work to bring these wonderful qualities out in the people they see every day — at home, in the office, at school or on the street corner. A person who lives by the code of chivalry in today’s world allows everyone to see their best qualities reflected in his or her shining armor.

kpooks
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2009 9:35:05 AM
Not over 60 yet, but I imagine the same virtues then will be the ones I value now:

Kindness, sense of humor, and, yes, sexuality. Ability to be sexually articulate (talk dirty) and be sexually explorative, mischevous and adventurous.
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/13/2009 10:06:09 AM
simple a one woman man.. for starters..

thecatsmeoww
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > The most important virtue over 60...for women and men.