Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > staying centred?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ForumFilly
Msg: 2
staying centred?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
How do I keep centered and in tune with that little voice???
By taking my meds regularly.

Seriously, I really cannot relate to this type of blather. While I seldom think along the same lines as RanRan, in this case, I have to completely agree.
 TryAgan
Msg: 3
view profile
History
staying centred?
Posted: 8/16/2009 9:07:04 PM

are you centred, or do you want to be? at our age, how do people reduce the off-centre to a minimum, and keep with that still small voice inside?

Yes, I am centred. Well, if anything, leaning slightly to the right.
 Free-At-Last
Msg: 4
staying centred?
Posted: 8/16/2009 9:18:32 PM

And for what it's worth, most women, when they say say they are 'spiritual' are confused. They need a man to bring them out of the labyrinth they find themselves in. i.e. A thinking man.

^^^^^^Ranran someone as closed-minded and off-kiltered as you wouldn't have a clue what it means to be centered. What's it like to only be able see the world in black or white? Sounds like a dull, boring existence to me.
 Ron9
Msg: 5
staying centred?
Posted: 8/16/2009 9:23:07 PM
......... WHAT?

Are we suppose to know all this ... this ..... this stuff.

Oh ... I get it - it has something to do with mushrooms and the 60s right?

I missed all that flower power stuff. I was into fast cars and cute girls.
 Free-At-Last
Msg: 6
staying centred?
Posted: 8/16/2009 10:07:41 PM

but it's called 'thinking'.

speaking of thinking...have you ever tried thinking "outside" of that square box you're stuck in?
 Free-At-Last
Msg: 7
staying centred?
Posted: 8/16/2009 10:14:22 PM

Are we suppose to know all this ... this ..... this stuff.

Oh ... I get it - it has something to do with mushrooms and the 60s right?

Maybe....one thing's for sure...if you ever experienced mushrooms or acid or any of those "mind-altering" drugs...you'd definately have alot better understanding of the places your mind is capable of taking you!
 Free-At-Last
Msg: 8
staying centred?
Posted: 8/16/2009 10:18:33 PM

The new-age argument: "There is no absolute truth." But in maintaining that argument, they must rely on the absolute they have created.

So are you saying that followers of the Bible are any different?
 monalee1
Msg: 9
staying centred?
Posted: 8/16/2009 10:29:22 PM
hi... I pray and I study the bible .. wonderful things begin to happen when I go to Gods Word.. I mean I have freely chosen to connect to God and so His Spirit Willingly Teaches in all Truth.... Truth makes us free, centered and balanced, hopeful, full of peace and assurance.. many blessings
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 10
view profile
History
staying centred?
Posted: 8/16/2009 10:35:10 PM
Excuse me, I'm going to stand off to the side, yeah over here, and slide back toward the original post while you two duke it out.

I prefer to stand on a firm, well grounded doundation (also) but not perfectly centered. I think, at least for me, that being a bit off plumb (out of kilter, etc.) allows me to stay more focused. To me, being centered means being complacent, and at this time in my life that is an attribute I can ill afford. Being a bubble out of level doesn't mean I don't know where my "center" is, it just means I prefer not to remain there for extended periods of time.

TK
{you know, I always wanted one of those digital levels}
 Not The Cable Guy
Msg: 11
view profile
History
staying centred?
Posted: 8/16/2009 10:46:51 PM

I get it - it has something to do with mushrooms and the 60s right?

Sort of... I mean, the 60's may be gone... But the 'shrooms remain...
 oregonsaint
Msg: 12
staying centred?
Posted: 8/16/2009 10:48:39 PM
You are asking a very broadly scoped question. "centered" would seem quite subjective to me.

You might consider being alot more specific, and explain what you are using to reference your question if you hope to get any worthwile and insightfull answers.
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 14
staying centred?
Posted: 8/17/2009 3:36:04 AM

Being a bubble out of level doesn't mean I don't know where my "center" is, it just means I prefer not to remain there for extended periods of time.

I agree nothing wrong with throwing a few monkey wrenches for good measure when you find yourself getting tooo complacent...

thecatsmeoww
 Sapphireeyes
Msg: 15
staying centred?
Posted: 8/17/2009 3:53:58 AM
I read this over and over again until it became part of my nature:

The Invitation

by Oriah Mountain Dreamer (a Native American Elder)

It doesn't interest me what you do for a living. I want to know what you ache for, and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart's longing

It doesn't interest me how old you are. I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love, for your dreams, for the adventure of being alive.

It doesn't interest me what planets are squaring your moon. I want to know if you have touched the center of your own sorrow, if you have been opened by life's betrayals or have become shriveled and closed from fear of further pain!

I want to know if you can sit with pain, mine or your own, without moving to hide it or fade it or fix it.

I want to know if you can be with joy, mine or your own, if you can dance with wildness and let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes without cautioning us to be careful, be realistic, or to remember the limitations of being human.

It doesn't interest me if the story you are telling me is true. I want to know
if you can disappoint another to be true to yourself; if you can bear the accusation of betrayal and not betray your own soul.

I want to know if you can be faithful and therefore be trustworthy.

I want to know if you can see beauty even when it is not pretty every day,
and if you can source your life from God's presence.

I want to know if you can live with failure, yours and mine, and still stand on the edge of a lake and shout to the silver of the full moon, "Yes"!

It doesn't interest me to know where you live or how much money you have.
I want to know if you can get up after the night of grief and despair, weary
and bruised to the bone, and do what needs to be done for the children.

It doesn't interest me who you are, how you came to be here. I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire with me and not shrink back.

It doesn't interest me where or what or with whom you have studied. I want to know what sustains you from the inside when all else falls away.

I want to know if you can be alone with yourself, and if you truly like the company you keep in the empty moments.
 blueyesrsmiling
Msg: 16
staying centred?
Posted: 8/17/2009 3:58:40 AM
Spiritually, morally or physically? I am a bit confused about exactly what your asking and how to answer this.........
 peek~a~booo
Msg: 17
staying centred?
Posted: 8/17/2009 4:55:29 AM
for me center is serenity.....is when i can cope thru the darkness and not depend on others opinions but choose to value or adore my own value first.
I find i can tweek or revalue the energy before it is cast down....or if i can not overcome than is a sign to me to slow the rocket down and perhaps take another pass within myself and revalue the core to evolve forward and at a higher level or standard for myself.
i find center is something i sometimes have to remind myself of, it is my job or gift to myself to keep context in the sequence of the particulars which help me understand me...when you understand yourself eventually me thinks you learn to relate to and away from and this way i find i am able to cope with my own dissapointments in myself.

there are many loops to growth and only those in the top end will grasp...for those that don't..it is a calm you feel in your sole which no other human can challenge..smiles to self...bin many years in the making but i can say i have finally found the freedom of that reguardless of the acceptance of others. indeed!
choose your battles has a special meaning indeed
 sunshinepositive
Msg: 18
staying centred?
Posted: 8/17/2009 5:21:24 AM
Slightly leaning to my left, but that is because I am trying to see the tv in the background.

And the question I am dying to have answered, did you feel better after taking your medication?
 mz taken
Msg: 19
view profile
History
staying centred?
Posted: 8/17/2009 5:24:31 AM
define centered?
define off-kilter?
what makes us list as opposed to being centered?
(need more coffee. first day back to work after summer break and not all cylinders have kicked in yet)
how does one know if they ARE centered?
who determines for us the degree of our "center"?
can I find these answers on the back of my box of Wheaties?
 ForumFilly
Msg: 20
staying centred?
Posted: 8/17/2009 6:19:50 AM

And the question I am dying to have answered, did you feel better after taking your medication?
Actually, yes... yes, I did, and still do. Thanks for asking.
 breath~
Msg: 21
staying centred?
Posted: 8/17/2009 6:36:49 AM

When my still small voice becomes a loud yell..
then I know to move a bit to the right or left to stay centered on the path.

p.s.
Especially if I'm about to go wheelin' off the sidewalk and into some mud!
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 22
view profile
History
staying centred?
Posted: 8/17/2009 8:01:42 AM
Centeredness is a key concept in Buddhism, Taoism, martial arts, general meditation practices, and most religious traditions. It's about self-awareness, mindfulness, serenity, and a balanced life. There's nothing mystical or ambiguous about it, but it isn't easy to achieve, either.
 jbogie
Msg: 23
staying centred?
Posted: 8/17/2009 9:24:20 AM

are you centred, or do you want to be?

when i read your question einsteins theory of relativity came immediatly to mind. without hijacking your thread into a discussion on science, one aspect of relativity as einstein sees it, is that each of us veiw everything from the relative perception of being in the center of everything. so according to old al, you can't help but be centered.
 Petrified_Wood
Msg: 24
staying centred?
Posted: 8/17/2009 9:28:06 AM
I'm WAY off center at the moment. When I start clanking off the edges, I have a nice image that I focus on. I don't know if it centers me, but it makes me warm and happy. That's good enough for now.
 Dancing_4_You
Msg: 25
view profile
History
staying centred?
Posted: 8/17/2009 12:29:58 PM
staying centered in a "practical" way? i'm a pretty passionate person on the one end, but the other part of me craves peace and a simpler joy. when my feelings get out of whack, i am usually overwhelmed or perhaps reacting to world angst. i find dating a lot of different people to be off centering. but, i know it's something i have to do, to find the right person for me. there is no question that i am way more "centered" when in a relationship. the pheremones are very calming and deep communication and bonding contributes a good deal of life force in the equation! but there is also no question that i use times of transition to do a lot of growing, via what i encounter and learn. for this, i must constanly center myself--or, at least, get a grip!

having ridden many waves, i know when it is time to be still and i trust the pause. i also have a great support network and pay my dues in that realm as well. i do have a link into what is beyond my "self". for want of not being "religious", i would nonetheless say this is strongly spiritually based and in tune with nature and the universe. the moon, the ocean, the creek and wildlife all take me out of my ego and personal angst, when and if i find myself going there.

by experience, i know that things come and go, the weather changes and that i've taken up the opportunity to be true to myself and others. my life is very much a choice (given what is handed to me for raw materials) and with what i choose, there are responsibities and an occasional aftermath. the rewards are always greater. i've seen and done many things and many that were supposedly not "doable". at times, this can be a lonely path, but i'm never alone. i surround myself with community and make sure my calendar is balanced with people and activities. i try to learn and to serve. i observe. although i tend to be chatty, not much escapes my observation. there are a few people in my life who serve as beams of light. some are from pof. they are mostly very different than me, but we tend to balance each other out.

if i find myself in a temporary rut or w/o motivation, i make sure i commit to doing something that i can't get out of. i also am really into music and dancing. that seems to settle any dust or fog that may cloud my inner spirit or zest for life and living.

i will say that when i was working and did my 80 hour per week stint, including many social functions and wheeling and dealing in a whir of social circles, plus hard and taxing technical work with deadlines and politcal fallout, i was not that centered. at times, i'd just collapse with exhaustion. looking back at that, i should have probably found more mentors to guide me through it all. instead, i was always the mentor. my energy depleted. i now try to be there for those who continue to call me (who i trained) or know about what i used to do for a living. the numbers are fading in that area, but now it appears to be the kids who come and ask for my opinions--given my foster/adopt status as a mom.

often, through the eyes of youth, i get to see things in a more honest and clearer way w/o all my personal angst or current woes attached in their retinas. that is VERY centering. however, in this aspect of my life, i also seek others who have been through it and get their outlook and opinions. they are either older or wiser or just willing to share their "aha" moments with me.
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 26
view profile
History
staying centred?
Posted: 8/17/2009 12:54:54 PM
Being centered has real benefits:

<div class="quote">Brain scanners show that intense meditation alters our gray matter, strengthening regions that focus the mind and foster compassion while calming those linked to fear and anger.

Whether the meditator believes in the supernatural or is an atheist repeating a mantra, he says, the outcome can be the same - a growth in the compassion that virtually every religion teaches and a decline in negative feelings and emotions.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090817/sc_nm/us_brain_neurotheology;_ylt=AtIAquPhfDVVIoc1Ex4.JYGs0NUE;
_ylu=X3oDMTNsM2xiMmxoBGFzc2V0A25tLzIwMDkwODE3L3VzX2JyYWluX25ldXJvdGhlb2xvZ3kEY2NvZGUD
cmFuZG9tBGNwb3MDOQRwb3MDNgRwdANob21lX2Nva2UEc2VjA3luX2hlYWRsaW5lX2xpc3QEc2xrA2ZhaXR
ocml0ZXNibw--
 parrothead 13
Msg: 27
view profile
History
staying centred?
Posted: 8/17/2009 1:16:40 PM
when i am not centered i am not happy. when i dont listen to that still small voice and listen to the voices of chaos swirling around me at any given moment, i am not happy. staying centered is not easy. keep your values as the deciding factor in life choices is not easy. for the last few months i have not done this and now have lots of regrets. if i ever figure out how to get and keep centered i will write a book or two and put dr. phil out of business.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > staying centred?