Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > released on compassionate grounds? Lockerbie Bomber      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 11
view profile
History
released on compassionate grounds? Lockerbie BomberPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Did the b**sard feel any compassion when he killed all those people - like feck he did. Should he been shown compassion becasue his body has screwed up his life - like feck we should.

If you kill someone or many someones there is never a reason to feel compassion. The familys of those that died couldn't get the life sentence on their loved ones lifted so why should the Locerbie Bomber or any other murderer
 ~Hams~
Msg: 14
view profile
History
released on compassionate grounds? Lockerbie Bomber
Posted: 8/19/2009 6:44:19 AM
1) If this latest release is politically engineered, should politics be allowed to govern prisoner's sentences?

2) Is there any just reason why prisoners convicted of murder should be released on compassionate grounds?

I have my doubts also if this person was really responsible for this terrible mass murder.

I don't think the real culprits will ever be brought to justice though and are probably in Libya.

In a case where there is no doubt on the prisoners guilt and an equally horrendous crime
has been committed I don't think they should ever be released on compassionate grounds.

They would have showed no compassion to their victims whilst carrying out their murder.

I don't care either if by not setting free such a person makes them out to be a martyr either.
 monty336
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2009 2:26:36 PM
one plus point is that we wont being paying for his treatment, so going back to his place of origin he may not get the same unless he pays so his life will be shorter, also it releases 1 more cell,
 SeekingTheOneOut
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2009 5:34:02 AM
The main thing I don't like about Megrahi's situation is that once he dies, those in power will likely use it as an excuse to not continue the investigation into the facts behind the bombing. The full truth about the bombing hasn't come out and once Megrahi dies, a lot of people will use that as a convenient reason to try and put the whole matter to rest.
 pantsonfire
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2009 6:26:02 AM
IMHO his guilt or innocence is of no consequence in regards to the actual story being debated here, the question is, should a convicted murderer be released on compassionate grounds when their own life is coming to an inevitable end..?

I don't think so... I believe the compassion should lie in the treatment of the convict within the limitations of their incarceration.. As long as they receive good medical care and are given appropriate pain relief and are treated humanely, then there is no good reason for anyone to be released early from their sentence..

Will we release Peter Sutcliffe? Dennis Nilson? Ian Brady? Colin Ireland? Etcetera ...

If al-Megrahi is innocent of the crime he was convicted of, that is a totally separate issue to releasing someone who is guilty, just because they happen to be dying...
 pantsonfire
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2009 1:01:10 AM

If releasing a prisoner meant this country would be able to maintain a good relationship with the country of origin of the prisoner which might be integral to our country's well being, would that make any difference to your thinking?

Personal opinion? No it wouldn't change my views.. But I can understand that sometimes the Political implications are far wider reaching than just the emotions and views of the victims' families and that sometimes unpopular decisions have to be made...

In this particular case, yes we have a large amount invested in Libyan oil but will this decision to keep Libya happy, have an adverse effect on our socio economic relations with the US? Who would you prefer to have good relations with? I suppose it's a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't but the images of the heroes welcome al-Megrahi received were not well met by the US... Will that have far reaching implications? Say perhaps a significant drop in tourism to Scotland by the US? Little things at first... But who knows where the ripple effect will end?
 badge73
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2009 12:43:51 PM
i like others before me dont know much about the original trial or the evidence. but what concerns me is what happens behind the scenes, only a couple of months ago gormless brown met gadaffi at the "solve the recession" summit, and only a just over a week ago mandy met the son off gadaffi on a boat. me being quite a cynic would guess they werent discussing the price of sand at b and q.

was he guilty? its quite irrelevant now as we will never know the ins and outs, could of been a puppet to please the trade and courts, after all gadaffi done quite well out of it as im sure the prisoners family did to.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > released on compassionate grounds? Lockerbie Bomber