Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Minced onions??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Minced onions??Page 1 of 1    
A few grocery stores near me sell minced onions in jars - same section as the minced garlic. I always have fresh onions and garlic in the kitchen so when I need them it's just as easy to throw some in the mini food processor and give them a few pulses.
 iamtryingagain
Msg: 4
Minced onions??
Posted: 8/19/2009 12:17:34 AM
I also freeze fresh onions... peel, slice and place in freezer bags and when needed for cooking take out what is required and refreeze rest.
As per other posts all good handy hints.. - we have supermarkets in Oz where you can buy jars onions also...pity your not coming down under !
 Molly Maude
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Minced onions??
Posted: 8/19/2009 2:29:03 PM
I've bot chopped onions in the freezer section at the grocery store ... which is nearly what you're asking about ... I haven't found them lately, tho ...

I liked the idea of slicing or chopping onions and freezing them in a single layer ... thanks! good idea!

Moonchild51
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Minced onions??
Posted: 8/19/2009 7:04:57 PM
Gee who knew that onions could be frozen? I just bought 50 lbs of sweet white ones today. I know, I sound like a nut! lol..But summer time is when you get some of the most awesome buys on fresh veg! So guess what I will be doing tomorrow? THanks all!
 Moonchild51
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Minced onions??
Posted: 8/19/2009 8:59:01 PM
lol...Bunky! They had a price that couldn't be beat hun! I gave some to two of my sisters and some to the gal across the street. I always am passing deal or another over to family/friends. I think it is called "ole lady syndrome". lol As I now know you can freeze em, rest assured some are going into the freezer very soon. Glad I popped into this thread.
 iamtryingagain
Msg: 11
Minced onions??
Posted: 8/19/2009 11:21:36 PM
Did you think to Pickle the onions ? - as in same ones you buy at fish n chips shop ?

the other way of storing ...place amount in ice cubes tray.. that works also..

Just googled & found this recipe - if interested ?

Pickled onions
For the brining solution

A ratio of 100g of cooking salt to 1 litre of water should be used. This is sufficient for brining 1 to 1½ kg of onions. Heat the water and salt together until salt is dissolved. Allow to cool before placing peeled onions into the solution.

The onions should be left in the brine for 24 hours, after which they should be drained, rinsed well and patted dry before placing in sterilised jars.

Rest of Ingredients

1 to 1½ kg pickling onions – brined for 24 hours, rinsed and dried with paper towel
750 ml to 1 litre spiced vinegar (recipe to follow)
½ to 1 cup of sugar

Method
Pack the onions into sterilised jars to within 2 cm of the top of the jar. Pour over the cool spiced vinegar, ensuring that the onions are completely covered. (If the onions tend to float, place a crumpled piece of greaseproof paper in the top of the jar. After a few days this can be removed as the onions will have absorbed the vinegar and will then stay submerged).

Aromatic Spiced Vinegar
Ingredients

1 litre (1 quart) of white, cider or white wine vinegar
15g allspice berries
15g coriander seed
15g cardamom seeds
1 or 2 sticks cinnamon
a few cloves
4 bay leaves
sugar (optional – adjust the quantity to your own taste)

Method
Bring the vinegar and spices (and sugar if using) to just below boiling point. Cover the pot with a lid, then leave to infuse for three hours at least. Strain through a colander or sieve lined with two thickness of muslin).

Allow the vinegar to cool before pouring over the onions. Now, don't forget that you must leave them three to four weeks before eating. This is to allow the vinegar to penetrate the onions thoroughly.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Minced onions??