Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > No Redemption, No Life ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 electric-gypsy
Msg: 8
view profile
History
No Redemption, No Life ?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

Should we be able condemn those to death on conviction who have no redeeming qualities based on their character and history rather than just the crime itself?

I'm all for the death penalty, especially for people such as little Peter Connelly's killers. They're probably the most hated people in Britain. Many believe you simply forego your 'right' to live when you commit such a heinous act. On the flipside though, I can see death penalty opponents arguing that your 'redeeming qualities' case doesn't account for mitigating factors (such as childhood abuse), the potential for rehabilitation, future good works and the opportunity for experts to study and learn from serious offenders. It's too divisive an issue.
 Cargy.
Msg: 16
view profile
History
No Redemption, No Life ?
Posted: 8/19/2009 6:11:19 AM

Life long imprisonment is a long punishment and they have to live it every day of their long life

..except, of course, that 'life' rarely means life and, from several accounts I've heard (many first hand), prison life, while not ideal, is a pretty comfortable existence nowadays.
 pantsonfire
Msg: 43
view profile
History
No Redemption, No Life ?
Posted: 8/21/2009 3:44:14 AM
No.. I'm opposed to Capital punishment in any form. As I have said many a time before, I do not wish to become that which I abhor...

So we should kill criminals not for their crimes but for their personalities? Who decides what redeeming features are required to avoid the death penalty?

What I find endearing, you may find nauseating.. What I find sickening, you may find alluring...

Domineering and controlling behaviour in a man is pretty much universally distasteful.. The same behaviour in a woman tends to cost upwards of £100 per hour in a dungeon!!!

You cannot use something so subjective as perceived redeeming qualities as a punishment barometer...

After all in the baby P case, the perpetrators found at least one other person on this Earth that believed them to have the perfect redeeming qualities they so desired...
 pantsonfire
Msg: 45
view profile
History
No Redemption, No Life ?
Posted: 8/21/2009 4:07:31 AM
^^ Well no, because a 'nice, kind, sweet' murderer would get life, whilst an 'unpleasant, rude, aggressive' murderer would be executed.. Punished for his personality not his crime...
 Cargy.
Msg: 54
view profile
History
No Redemption, No Life ?
Posted: 8/21/2009 12:16:50 PM
Like many on here, I agree with the death sentence in theory.

...But, in practice, our justice system is simply too error-prone and too open to political and public influence, to ever make capital punishment workable.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVV Msg 56: I think it'd have to be a black cap to fit the role properly!
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > No Redemption, No Life ?