Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Pissing on electric fences      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jewels49
Msg: 1
Pissing on electric fencesPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Recently, I received in an email with a diagram of an electric fence “3 phase”. With it, a disturbing picture of what WAS a man’s penis (now resembling a chip of charcoal). The note attached referred to not “pissing” on the fence and a warning as to the outcome.

This got me thinking (not about BBQ charcoal). Could this have been possible?...

Please correct me at any point, but my own electric fence is a pulse, not a steady stream of electrical current. My next thought was the stream of urine. From what I can remember of science, water streams are made up of droplets. My question is, my much wiser POF forum buffs…Is this possible to fry your penis if you urinated on an electric fence?
 greg14229
Msg: 2
Pissing on electric fences
Posted: 8/19/2009 12:18:28 AM
no. There are no electric fences currently in use with that kind of voltage
 Vancer
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/19/2009 12:25:32 AM
I remember in Mythbusters, they couldn't even pass a sufficient electrical current using a water gun. Not a squirt gun, but one of those pump action water stream guns.
And they did something about urinating on the 3rd rail, the one that carries electrical current. Still not enough to do anything serious.

I saw the picture on snopes.com and it is disturbing, but I think the claim is a hoax. Even if that is a penis, I can't see any way it can get burnt up that bad from peeing on an electrical fence.
 Jewels49
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/19/2009 12:26:30 AM
Ok...so it's just about voltage, not about the fact that electric fences pulse, or that the "stream" is made up of droplets. So are you saying given a larger voltage you could do as this picture indicated (just for the record I am not contemplating some sort of boobie trap for men. I like them, and their "gear")
 greg14229
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/19/2009 12:27:51 AM
hmmmm, your motives are mysterious........but it is no longer legal to sell powerful electric fences...the current fences will give a shock, but wont leave much of a mark
 Jewels49
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/19/2009 12:43:33 AM

I saw the picture on snopes.com and it is disturbing, but I think the claim is a hoax. Even if that is a penis, I can't see any way it can get burnt up that bad from peeing on an electrical fence.

Wish I had seen that myth busters episode…
But the picture was compelling (and gruesome, like a train wreck, horrible and yet fascinating)....and did get my brain thinking (thank god that charcoal chip was not attached to any loved one) but more about the stream and electric current. As I am the proud owner of an electric fence, did not relish the idea of one morning waking up to find anyone’s "special bits" no more than a memory...
 Vancer
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/19/2009 12:47:43 AM
On the internet, there is no short supply of people getting excited over how to use a disturbing picture they've stumbled across, in order to cause fear and worry over something completely unrelated.
It is just a sad fact. You knew well enough to have doubts about it. I wish everyone did that.
 nipoleon
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2009 3:00:48 AM
It's always possible to electrocute someone given enough amperage.
I wouldn't suggest trying the same experiment with a residential power line.
 Natasah
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/19/2009 3:47:59 AM
All boils down to volts and amps.
a small wire can carry 10,000 volts at bugger all amps or 12 volts with enough amps to melt, say, a wedding ring that someone might be wearing at the time if it shorts out the battery of a car....

Don't know about what volts/amps are needed to fry flesh, but the moment you underestimate, you'll die.
 yna6
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/19/2009 8:47:39 AM
It is illegal in this country to run an elecctrifyed fence with that much amperage in it.
Urine will carry an electrical charge. So a stream of urine will carry a charge to the person it is attached to IF they are stupid enough to pee on an exposed current...such as the third rail or whatever.
You can grab hole of an electrical fence, and not feel much of anything...keep hanging on, the charge builds...and then you feel it! The idea is to keep cattle from leaning on it. They can brush up against it, not get anything, but they try to butt it, or lean on it, they get a shock! They learn to leave it alone.
A picture of a burnt sausage on the internet is nothing new. I've seen the guys in grocery stores run hang a sausage out of their flies and walk into the lunch room where the cashiers were eating...the screams, then laughter was worth losing one sausage for!
 Lemonlime2166
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/19/2009 12:09:50 PM
Lots of myths floating around here confusing the difference between Voltage ( The potential difference "FORCE" in a given electrical system) and Current. (the amount of electron "FLOW" through said system)

In the USA house voltages are only 120 volts in any one part of a house it's when two phases of 120 volts that are nearly 180 degrees out of phase are brought in to the same circuit that gives a MEASURED 240 volt difference.

They're usually around 90volts in this part of the world and are sometimes run off 12v car batteries (stepped up) in remote locations. I've got no idea what sort of amperage is running through them though.

No .. the LOWEST voltage range commonly available is around 2000 volts regardless of what the supply voltage is (12 v DC car battery) or 120v AC line voltage.
The highest voltage allowed for a fence by international standards is 10,000 volts and is capable of delivering quite a painful shock when urinated on ... ask my brother... The difference between the famous "Third rail" experiment was at a distance of about 3 feet (the distance between the ground and the source of urine) an electric fence potentially could literally be inches away. Not nearly enough space for the stream to break up into droplets.

As far as fence currents are concerned I can assure you that it is in the very low milliamp range. 10 milliamps across the heart is enough to cause cardiac arrhythmia .. 100 milliamps is considered lethal REGARDLESS of voltage applied.

So anyway he got it launched, with a bit of help (New Years Day - in the main street of a country town...) and it did that violent zigzag side to side thing that kites do and tangled itself in the overhead electric wires that carry mains power to all the houses.

Really!!! .. I doubt it.. seriously .. Those rather unassuming "Lines" going into all your houses are 7200 volts going into the transformers on the poles. with enough current to instantaneously kill anyone and quite effectively burn you from the inside out.

I find it rather odd that international standards for a fence containing animals is only 10,000 volts where as tasers and stun guns intended for Humans can range from 50,ooo volts clear up to 1,000,000 volts.

References:
Electric fence voltages ... http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2001/NicoleCastellano.shtml

Taser and stun gun Voltages ...
http://www.selfdefenseweapons.com/mini-stun-gun.htm

Power grid voltages...
http://science.howstuffworks.com/power6.htm
 Lemonlime2166
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/19/2009 12:52:35 PM
Sorry OP .. never answered your question ..

No .... there is not nearly enough available Joules or Watts to cause the type of damage you described to the human body.
( A measure of total power available is P=IxE ) P = power or watts, I=current, E=Voltage

An average hair dryer may range around 1200 watts ... 120v times 10 amps (roughly speaking)

A kite in the power lines however ... 7200 volts times 100 amps is equal to around 720,000 watts or about 600 hairdryers running at the same time. Now think about 600 hair dryers in the tub with you at once...
 Lemonlime2166
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/19/2009 2:49:25 PM
I agree 99% with you about everything you said .. right up to the point where you said that house hold voltage was iffy about haveing sufficient pressure / force for an electrocution...

a summary from: http://www.cpsc.gov/library/electro.pdf

From 1990 to 2000 there were 5860 deaths reported by electrocution, 2290 of those from household appliances a rate of 39%

I also read with a little amusement a blog I found during my search for statistics of a person who survived being electrocuted, as the word literally means electric execution. He may very well have been clinically dead but if he was revived he kind of losses his "Electrocuted" status by default. A shocking thought to be sure
 desertrhino
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2009 3:55:10 PM
It's not an electric fence, but this VERY GRAPHIC video does show what a "third rail," either overhead or at ground level, can do to a human being.

Warning: Graphic. Do not view if you have a weak stomach.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fc0_1243424473
 Lemonlime2166
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/19/2009 6:44:40 PM
I stand humbled and corrected ... yes you are right as I was assuming several things 1: that you were referring to voltage inside the continental USA. and 2: that a proper ground/conductor was supplied. There are an infinitely wide array of scenarios that could account for what you presented and I was wrong in assuming the worst case applied for all of them.

I couldn't in good conscious present a case of my own and not respect evidence to the contrary even if it is somewhat humbling.

So I'll slip back into the wonderful obscurity that is the internet and say to you ..

Good Form Man .. Good Form. Touché
 normaldude
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2009 8:31:06 PM
when we were kids and had to climb over one ...we would test the electric fence to see if it was on by getting a long blade of grass and laying it on the fence wire. You could feel the pulsing tingle if it was energized. Much less painful than grabbing it with bare hands. We were never stupid enough to pee on one
 trotko
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/19/2009 8:40:42 PM
First of all the voltage doesnt mater volts wont kill you amps will. And no Electric fencs dont carry enoph amps to burn but man you piss on it and I quarantee youll jump and be a little more careful the next time. No I'm not talking through experiance but I could only imagine it wouldn't be plesant. You even have to be careful of the wire being submersed in water cause.
 madgato
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/19/2009 9:16:19 PM
OK- nobody brave enough to admit it. I did it when I was probably about 8 or 9, years old. My older brothers of course had me try it while we were out blackberry picking. Didn't feel a thing at first, but it did give a shock, probably similar to what happens when I rewire an outlet in my house and touch live wires! LOL.

Now as for the little guy, I think it was a traumatic experience. His growth was stunted ever since!! LMAO!!
 Lemonlime2166
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/20/2009 6:53:27 AM
First: quietjohn2 that whole post is so riddled with untruths and misinformation I consider it an assault on facts and below the effort to dispute the cumulative mistakes
Please read prior posts on page one.

OP .. I talked to an older rancher friend of mine about the possibility of some uncommercial practice or antique piece of equipment that was capable delivering electrocution. He said that he used to hook up his fence wire directly to 120vac line voltage from time to time. It's called a weed burner and the purpose was so that when the grass / weeds would get to tall and get into the line lowering it's effectiveness by grounding it slightly along the path they would hook up line voltage directly to the fence wire. The line voltage does have sufficient amperage to burn the weeds at the height of the wire and kill the weed /grass ... and some unfortunate soul who was unlucky enough to not see it, however even that does not have sufficient power to instantly burn a human in the manner you described.

SO .. even with that possibility ... as almost everyone has stated .. it's impossible
 Lemonlime2166
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/20/2009 1:38:07 PM
Ok .. Now I could go through and dispute what was said or what I think is wrong.

That really isn't the issue here is it?

I think that it could be more accurately stated that my post was not a presentation of facts contrary to the post itself but more of an insinuation of a lack of intelligence and integrity directed towards you.
An unprofessional, and unwarranted insinuation. This is the second time my lack of understanding of human nature or my own has led me to being berated.

I think that some of what you said is inaccurate but that by default does not entitle me to say what I did or present your post as not having any merit.

I apologize.

I'm really not an ass, but sometimes my actions and words can prove otherwise. There is a learning curve here and in light of recent statements (you wern't the first to hit me back with truth thinly layered in sarcasm today) I think I shall refrain from posting until maybe I have thought a little more about how what I am wanting to say can be interpreted or how it is directed.
 Mikezt
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/20/2009 8:21:01 PM
It is possible if you are close enough so the urine stream doesn't break up, as once it does, it can't conduct a charge to the "host". There is a story on Darwin which I think is true. It happened right here in Northridge where I live. We have high voltage power lines running next to Northridge. A couple of teenagers decided on a hot summer day to practice their climbing and repelling skills on a tower. Since it was hot, they were wearing shorts and muscle shirts. At one point one of the teens took a break after climbing up onto the platform just above the high tension lines. He leaned back against the tower (his shoulder making direct contact with the metal) and decided it would be fun to pis on the line. Well he got enough of a shock that it threw him from the tower and he died in the fall. It didn't howerver, fry any of his body parts. But I disagree there is insufficient power to burn you. High voltage/amperage is a very dangerous and unpredictable thing.
 JustDukky
Msg: 26
Posted: 2/5/2010 4:02:50 AM
I got that email awhile back and looked into the pic. It is a photo of the penis of a man in China who received some sort of microwave treatment on it for something (I forget what his complaint was). It was left in the "easy-bake" treatment device (by negligence or accident...I'm not sure which) about 100 times longer that it was intended. The condition wasn't immediately apparent and actually developed over a period of days. The man eventually(?) lost most if it.

I guess the device was an American import and the Chinese couldn't read the badly translated assembly & use instructions correctly. It was probably invented by some guy who bought an "easily assembled" "made in China" barbecue.
 hyoid
Msg: 27
Posted: 2/5/2010 6:28:28 AM
I can tell you from experience that the urine stream shuts off abruptly.
A charlie horse in the urethral sphincter is a very strange sensation. Not one I'd care to experience again.
 Komay1
Msg: 28
Posted: 2/5/2010 10:44:58 AM
Unless you are putting some serious force behind it, a man's urine stream breaks up into little droplets soon after leaving the body.

So if you are pissing on the ground near an electric fence, you are probably safe since the stream has broken up. If the fence is powerful enough to get you this way, then you are probably going to sustain some damage. Now if you are brave and deliberately pissing on one from a closer range, you run the risk of getting nailed regardless.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 29
Posted: 2/5/2010 11:20:39 AM
Mybusters is great fun to watch, unfortuantelly they get a hell of a lot of things wrong. For instance, urine in a full blader dose not come out under its own presure but is pushed out by the presure in the blader. Aditionaly, the urethra is not a perfect circle, but almost a figure eight shape. This, combined with a twist provide by the bend of the urethra provides twin streams with a twist that keeps the stream constant.

Didn't he try it again and got a bit of a shock and only after he got really, really close to the wire, as in almost touching it?....and why are we discussing this? Really?

sometimes these fora get really...well...weird!

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Pissing on electric fences