Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Food for 400!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CookinC
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Food for 400!Page 1 of 1    
I'm setting up at a festival on the 29th, cooking for at least 400 people. I'll be doing fresh fruit smoothies, burritoes, wraps, organic salad bar. Does any one have any suggestions of what else would be good?
 SAguy_06
Msg: 2
Food for 400!
Posted: 8/19/2009 8:27:48 AM
Nachos are easy and fun.

keep cheese in one crock pot and ground beef mix in another...

have toppings like diced onion, sliced jalepenos, shreaded lettuce, diced tomato

get conrn chip rounds on a plate, drizzle with cheese sauce, sprinkle on meat...topp with shreaded lettuce, tomato, onion, and jalepenos
 arwen52
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Food for 400!
Posted: 8/19/2009 12:38:53 PM
Keep it simple. Don't do things that require lots of handling.

Chips & salsa are easy and satisfying. Cheese and crackers. Cookies. Plain fruit, especially bananas and oranges. Pickles and olives. Cherry tomatoes. Chunks of watermelon are great this time of year. When we provide snacks at big dances, these are all quite popular.

Have fun! I hope it goes well.
 CookinC
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Food for 400!
Posted: 8/20/2009 7:18:03 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions!
I try to serve healthy, organic food, not your usual festival fried food. Food can taste great & be healthy.
So the cookies would work, any good recipes?
The nachos are a great idea, I have done chili in the past but am not this year so I would have crock pots to use, and could do ground turkey so it would be more healthy.
Tacos also would be good, what are Mexican Swirls?
A smoker would be good but I'm trying to cut down on all the equipment I have to haul there.
So, it's called the Henry Fest, HenryFest.com held in Yarmouth Maine. Hopefully it will be a beautiful sunny day. No theme, just lots of good music, bluegrass, folk, etc....
 SAguy_06
Msg: 5
Food for 400!
Posted: 8/23/2009 7:14:54 AM
Mexican Swirls...

I used to make flavored flour tortilla swirls...

Take a tomato and basil wrap(tortilla) and smear with your favorite condiment...
Jalepeno mustard, chipotle mayo, chile-lime mayo...ect. Wraps also come in Spinich and wheat flavors.

then place a layer of meat and cheese, flat leaf lettuce, roasted peppers, thinly sliced onion...ect. Tip- I like using a dark meat like sliced roast beef with light colour cheese like swiss or munster for contrasting color effect.

then roll the wrap up and slice in 1 1/2" thick slices...looks like swirls when plated

a c0cktail toothpick in the side hold unruley swirls, just make sure they are visible...
 arwen52
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Food for 400!
Posted: 8/25/2009 3:23:23 PM
OP, make sure you let us know how it goes!

My friends just came back from a big dance event. They feed people tacos/burritos for dinner and have cheese, salsa, beans, onions, tomatoes, I don't know what else. People make their own. One thing they do that is brilliant is that the space allows for multiple tables so *everyone* isn't converging on one table at the same time. This is much more efficient at feeding a lot of people.

Good luck and be sure and give us a report.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 7
Food for 400!
Posted: 8/26/2009 6:59:47 PM

wheat flavors

Since when does wheat have a flavour other than wheat? Tortillas generally are made from corn or wheat (with the odd company making one from brown rice or sprouted grain) but "wheat" is not flavour of tortilla.
 CookinC
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Food for 400!
Posted: 8/28/2009 2:41:37 PM
Festival got canceled due to Tropical Storm Danny heading this way. So......I've been filling up my freezers with everything I cooked, hopefully they will reschedule in September...
 oceaneyess
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Food for 400!
Posted: 8/29/2009 3:42:39 PM
I too have cooked for large festivals.....And one of my favs is mango sticky rice with coconut milk......or curried cous cous with yellow raisins..
 CookinC
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Food for 400!
Posted: 8/29/2009 3:54:46 PM
Can I have the recipe for the mango sticky rice????, sounds good!
 arwen52
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Food for 400!
Posted: 8/31/2009 12:10:24 PM

Festival got canceled due to Tropical Storm Danny heading this way. So......I've been filling up my freezers with everything I cooked, hopefully they will reschedule in September...

Bummer! Well, now you have even more time to think about it! Good luck.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Food for 400!