Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Time keeps messing up      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 needsomefemz
Msg: 2
Time keeps messing upPage 1 of 1    
No clue. I think there's a battery in the BIOS that keeps time correct when the computer is off, so it might be that. I'd wait for another reply though....
 subtlecaffeine
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Time keeps messing up
Posted: 8/20/2009 12:47:42 PM
As computers get older, for some odd reason, the clocks tend to screw up and run a little slow. Before my last computer blew up, it'd slowly lose time.

If you're running windows XP, double click on the clock and click on the Time Zone tab, you SHOULD be able to change the time zone....it's also slightly possible maybe you don't have admin privilages to actually keep the settings.

Probably the reason it's jumping back 3 hours at a time is because of Internet Time. This is an option that will sync your computer clock with a master clock that's generally based on atomic clocks and such. If your computer is stuck in Pacific Time...then whenever the time syncs up, it would set it back three hours based on that setting.

If you can set it for your proper time zone, do so and adjust the time afterwards. If it's a few hours off after selecting the proper time zone, then adjust the time so it's correct and leave it at that.

If you find it's still three hours off after a day or so...then it's likely a problem with the RTC and you'll have to install a third-party NTP (network time protocol) client and have it sync the time up every few hours. This should keep your clock in better sync.
 NurbyDriver
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Time keeps messing up
Posted: 8/21/2009 7:59:56 PM
CMOS battery 99% of the time.
 needsomefemz
Msg: 6
Time keeps messing up
Posted: 8/21/2009 8:23:12 PM

CMOS battery 99% of the time.

CMOS! That's what I was thinking of.....
 metagod
Msg: 7
Time keeps messing up
Posted: 8/22/2009 6:12:14 PM
cmos battery causes this problem most the time. . . as others have said.
 subtlecaffeine
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Time keeps messing up
Posted: 8/22/2009 7:04:05 PM

CMOS battery

Don't forget, newer systems are using a super-capacitor rather than a lithium battery.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Time keeps messing up