Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Is sat nav dumbing down?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 badge73
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Is sat nav dumbing down?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Why do people have the need to sat nav every where they go be it 2 mile or 25 mile? Is the art of reading a map a dying art? Does it say a bit about education or thinking for themselves?

if a sat nav put you towards a cliff/river would you realise? Or a bridge where so many have found themselves stuck under lol
 gjay1
Msg: 2
Is sat nav dumbing down?
Posted: 8/23/2009 6:21:40 PM
i tried one once, just for interest, and if id paid attention to it, i would have ended up in the creek......it was telling me to go straight ahead, when the road actually made a right angle turn......straight ahead was apparantly where the road was going to go, according to old town planning maps , but it never happened!!
 ibakecakes
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Is sat nav dumbing down?
Posted: 8/24/2009 1:04:27 AM
Anyone tried navigating round Milton Keynes without one????
I've got a pretty good sense of direction so tend to use mine only if I'm driving on my own and for the last bit of a journey to find someone's house if I haven't been there before.
 oggers
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Is sat nav dumbing down?
Posted: 8/24/2009 1:20:39 AM
Sat nav is GREAT ... It allows you to find where you are going without taking your eyes off the road to try to read a map whilst driving at 50 mph ( yes we all do it - even you !) Therefore it is a safety tool

It also tells you your exact speed, time to destination and other useful stuff.

But it doesnt come close to map reading and navigating "the old fashioned way" I use maps a lot on rallies and there is something wonderfully tactile and involving about using them - plus you get to see a lot more information than your sat nav will ever give you on 1:50,000 scale, or even 1:25,000 scale

Sat nav is good , but Maps are brilliant :D

edit .. woo hoo .. my 20 OS maps for the Rally of The Tests have just arrived - looks like I'll be getting all tactile at home this evening ;)
 badge73
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Is sat nav dumbing down?
Posted: 8/24/2009 1:36:08 AM
Milton keynes is easy ibakecakes, as long as you dont listen to a blonde bint whose lived there for 10 years and gets lost around her own house!!

most have said about sat navs there arent as dangerous as maps but i beg to differ, i bet theres been more accidents watching, listening to them, then drivers who like me used to pull over, then read the map.

Im with peter and oggers, theres something special about maps as they show the contours as well.

off topic, did watch countryfile last night and showed the debate of the highest point in wiltshire, great stuff.
 badge73
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Is sat nav dumbing down?
Posted: 8/24/2009 3:46:27 AM
haha labdien, could of told you sat nav dont work around middle of brum, think its to do with the amount of dummy brummies around there

i am now more convinced that maps out do satnavs now, and considering the most upto date map as yet to be named on the thread, google earth! which i would use if i were still driving 500 miles plus a week as in doubt just use my phone to view or is that cheating to?

glad your maps arrived oggers just dont want to be your neighbours if they hear you screaming hard left, right and straight on to finish
 zerotasker
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Is sat nav dumbing down?
Posted: 8/24/2009 4:06:50 AM
I suppose Sat-Navs are the modern equivalent to calculators. If you know what you are doing with a map, the Sat-Nav is brilliant in that you can keep going whilst it feeds you information and you do not have to stop to check the map. The best scenario is to have the Sat-Nav talking away and a passenger to check the map at the same time.

However, if you blindly follow what the Sat-Nav tells you, without you first having any idea of what the route is, sooner or later you will come a cropper.

Like calculators, you have to have some idea of what the final total is going to be, otherwise you will miss that your finger has hit the wrong button and entered a thousand rather than a hundred.

But (in best Yorkshire accent) you try and tell that to the yougsters today..... and they won't believe you!
 oggers
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Is sat nav dumbing down?
Posted: 8/24/2009 5:07:07 AM

glad your maps arrived oggers just dont want to be your neighbours if they hear you screaming hard left, right and straight on to finish

Scream ??

Oh no, that would never do - I never scream calm and refined, thats me !

A sat nav tells the world when you have gone wrong " Re-calculating.." " make a U turn ... " The nice thing about maps is that your driver has no idea when you have gone wrong .. just re-route in your head and carry on as normal .. and when he sez " haven't we been this way before ..?" simply remember the old addage - 'bullsh*t baffles brains' ...........
 oggers
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Is sat nav dumbing down?
Posted: 8/26/2009 12:32:56 AM
Interesting ... So you guys that have trouble with your sat nav giving you duff directions, taking you the wrong way etc ... what make of sat nav is it ?

I have to say that mine is a Garmin Quest, and has navigated me perfectly for years ... Are Garmins more reliable than Tom Toms........ ?
 Warrencraig
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Is sat nav dumbing down?
Posted: 8/26/2009 6:26:08 PM
I find satnavs an unnecessary waste of time.

2 minutes spent planning the journey means you dont need satnav or even to read a map. At worst for a long journey a simple post it note with junction numbers, 3rd left after safeways etc etc is more than adequate. then just paste post it on steering wheel. no distraction then.
 badge73
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Is sat nav dumbing down?
Posted: 8/27/2009 6:36:00 AM
Lol at 1940s tom tom, why is there a woman behind this wheel? You might hurt your tiny pretty hands driving! You coming upto a round about, stop thinking of your husbands tea.

if you a single mum it calls you a harlot, and disgrace!
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Is sat nav dumbing down?