Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Anyone else not see the value in diamonds and other jewelry?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Anyone else not see the value in diamonds and other jewelry?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I remember an old Twilight Zone episode, where a man hoarded silver before he embarked to the distant future to cash it in, only to find out that silver was then worthless, that water was the hot commodity.

We are approaching that distant future. Baubles will hardly feed us or keep us warm when the oil runs out and anarchy rules the day.
 TrustyRockStar
Msg: 3
Anyone else not see the value in diamonds and other jewelry?
Posted: 8/24/2009 8:04:01 AM
The value of any given piece of jewelry is a function of how rare the materials are, how much work went into crafting it. Depending on where you buy jewelry, you might pay 2 to 3 times what it's actually worth, but it will tend to hold what value it has.

The significance of worn jewelry varies slightly from culture to culture, but it is generally an acceptable means of showing status. The fact that it has no practical purpose is exactly what makes it so effective as a status symbol.
 yna6
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/24/2009 9:34:57 AM
ohhhh....shiny!
Coloured stones are steadily gaining value. Diamonds are getting pretty common. The newer stones of excellent quality are pricy...the others, not so much. A lot of people take old diamonds, get them recut and reset into a new piece, because they are of better quality than the common ones in todays market.
Some stones do have industrial uses....for lasers and for grinding purposes...other things too I suppose.
Gold can always be used for a lot of things. Never tarnishes, so an excellent covering for different things. Conducts electricity in a good manner. So corrosion is less of a factor.
Have to agree...it really isn't that good a hedge to use...but probably better than nothing.
 JohnEDeep
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/24/2009 10:10:13 AM
I'm with you, OP...never made a lick of sense to me.

Value will never go down.

Try telling that to any of the 'Cash for Gold' operations out there. The dealer markup on jewelry makes cars look like a solid investment.
 daynadaze
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2009 10:11:29 AM
Is this a warning to anyone you date that they will not be receiving any jewelry?

It's value as a gift is not in what you think of it but what the receiver thinks of it.

If you think diamonds are inflated in their real value, you should have been around when getting your kid a Cabbage Patch Doll was like mining for gold.
 Gangster Kitten
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/24/2009 11:59:35 AM

The same can be said for any object, no?

My vehicle has a very practical value. It gets me to my job, and makes life super easy when you want to go from point A to point B.

I'm rather practical. You can't even *do* anything with diamonds except wear them. Why would you wear a Diamond, to look good or to show off. Two things I have no real stake in.
 justcuzwhatever
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/24/2009 12:06:39 PM
On the one hand, I do wear jewelry... a pair of small gold hoop earrings that were my mothers, and a gold chain with charms on it that my daughter bought me one at a time. Expensive? No. Sentimental value? Priceless. I do actually "own" a couple of nicer pieces (a diamond ring, an opal ring and necklace) that I wear for "dress up"... but not very often. Mostly, I don't care that much.

On the other hand... I wouldn't want to wear anything around my neck that was worth more than my head, ya know? (Shudder.)
 avpd
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/24/2009 12:56:43 PM
Diamonds are one of the biggest scams EVER. Much biger than Bernie Madoff. The DeBeers corporation has been sucking people's blood by brain washing people into thinking that they are so rare and special. The value of diamonds has NOTHING to do with how rare they are. DeBeers had a monopoly on diamonds and controled the release into the market place. They determined the value by controlling supply. They always made sure that there is more demand for the stones than supply, to maintain top prices.

I just looked it up and see that there was a class action lawsuit against Debeers:

"DeBeers controlled the world supply of rough, they dictated the price of rough and then the price of cut stones had to follow that trend because the dealers, the diamond cutters had to pay DeBeers price or they wouldn't get any rough," Tenhagen explained.

The class action lawsuit charged DeBeers was in effect a monopoly, illegally setting the price of diamonds and misleading the public. Insiders say that for years, the inflated cost of DeBeers' stones were simply passed along to consumers, who were charged more than the diamonds were worth.

To settle the case, DeBeers is agreeing to refund 295 million dollars. While most of the money is earmarked for big, commercial jewelers 135 million dollars in refunds is available to individual consumers, if they take the time to file a claim.

I looked it up and see that diamind prices are falling rapidly now. There IS some competition now and with the recession demand is down.
 shmodzilla
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/24/2009 1:45:58 PM
I almost think the only people that understand his actual point of view are the ones that share the same point of view. Sharing that same point of view i know exactly where his thought is on it. It's almost like valentines day,new years or something. It's only insanely important to so many because we made it that way. If diamonds were to disappear tommorrow, other than investors and such there would not be much impact on the world. It's just hard for people like us to understand how some people can go out and get rings that end up with a monthly payment as much as their car can do that. Don't tell me thats how guys feel, i know plenty of girls who think it's stupid as well.
 LOVESTRUCK_wannabe
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/24/2009 2:35:00 PM
I'm not big on jewelry. I have one ring I wear that used to belong to my female friend's late mother-in-law but I can't get it off and it gets caught in my hair when I shampoo.

Other pieces just aren't comfortable.

I don't care how much something costs, if I bang it against things when I'm working or it keeps slippping out of place I'll just put it in a box or give it away.
 Vancer
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/24/2009 11:27:29 PM
To me, the value of jewelry lies somewhere well below a pair of shoes, or a belt.
At least shoes and belts have a use. Jewelry just seems to be about broadcasting.
 SueCat51
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2009 3:50:31 PM
Oh please. I'd rather spend my hard earned money on travel (the experience), then jewels that have an ungodly huge markup. Material things are becoming less appealing to me, than if I spend the dough on travel. It's the experience vs. the thing, I reckon.
 whothehellknows
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/26/2009 6:47:16 AM
I have never really cared for jewelry, but not knocking those who do enjoy it. Value in almost anything is relative to how you view it. Regardless of my income, I will never own flashy jewelry, or flashy cars and clothes for that matter.
 FL CO
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2009 6:59:17 AM

I see absolutely zero value in jewelry. I just do not understand how a shiny rock that is dug up can cost thousands of dollars! When I walk passed a jewelry store and see these ridiculous prices, I am just in awe. I just don't get it!!

I understand and agree 100%. However, the vast majority of the world has put a pretty big value on such items. Because of that they make a wise investment. What I want to know is that when something major happens and that city, state, region, whatever is shut down for weeks or months on end what people are going to do with these investments. You can't eat or drink them, you can't use them cook, keep warm or defend yourself. Their truth worthlessness will come out. People will probably be trading them for a dime on the dollar for something thats actually useful.
 FL CO
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2009 7:07:02 AM

Money has no value in itself, but we still use it

Very true. When it comes to money having value those that are made from silver or gold do have value since our society has put a value on those metals. To be honest I'm surprized that so many people on this forum agree with me and the OP.
 colt8301
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/26/2009 2:11:22 PM
I'm with you Palifornia I honestly don't see the significants in any jewelry except a watch all that other stuff just make you a mark to be robbed or something like that, then again on the flipside that stuff means the world to some people so i can't hate them for loving something everybody obsesses over something.
 TheReason_
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2009 8:18:36 PM

It's take millions of years to create a masterpiece.....Gold on that ring or necklace will be an investment for the future. Value will never go down.

Unlike spending thousands of dollars on a car and it's value goes down the second it is driven off the lot.

You want to see the "value" on your "investment" in a wedding ring?

Try to sell one. That $6000 ring is suddenly worth $1200.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2009 8:44:38 PM
"Ever since I watched Blood Diamond, diamonds have lost quite a bit of their luster for me. The exploitation and violence makes me sick. "

It took to page 2 but Prime Woman finally proved there are indeed women with hearts of far more than proverbial gold. I'm sure the rest of you simply overlooked it, so no offense ladies

Diamonds promote slavery, subjugation, mutilation, incredible suffering, and murder. How any woman could walk around with a rock on her hand someone else might have had their hand lopped off for or worse is beyond me. And if someone tells you it is a "clean" diamond think again. As long as there is a market there is going to be exploitation.

If you really see yourself as a kind, loving, compassionate being ladies please THINK! It's very romantic!

I like the way some jewlrey looks on a woman. There's a decent chance I'll die alone, but if I were ever fortunate enough to be in position to propose she'd know how I feel already. She'd get one heck of a garnet I found in any setting she wants that I wouldn't have to take a second mortage for.
 Ependa
Msg: 27
Posted: 8/26/2009 10:25:00 PM
My jewelry is relatively inexpensive and it's sentimental...a dragon, onyx , harley ring =)..that type of thing..or just plain sterling silver or titanium. I don't personally see any value in frivilous, expensive pieces , but some people enjoy it. Hell, I flushed my wedding ring and engagement ring down the toilet..so yeah...not a lot of respect for the almighty buck or diamond.
 Padawan61
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2009 12:07:36 AM
Ever since I watched Blood Diamond, diamonds have lost quite a bit of their luster for me. The exploitation and violence makes me sick

The producers of the film is hoping that their message will appeal to people's morality. Whatever.

Aside from food, water and energy ... which are essential ... nothing else has any real value until someone desires it. It all depends on what each of us consider valuable. Personally, jewelry is meaningless unless I can turn it into cash in order to acquire something that I really do want ... which may not be anyone else's cup of tea.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2009 6:36:35 AM
"Ever since I watched Blood Diamond, diamonds have lost quite a bit of their luster for me. The exploitation and violence makes me sick

The producers of the film is hoping that their message will appeal to people's morality. Whatever.

Aside from food, water and energy ... which are essential ... nothing else has any real value until someone desires it. It all depends on what each of us consider valuable. Personally, jewelry is meaningless unless I can turn it into cash in order to acquire something that I really do want ... which may not be anyone else's cup of tea."

Well Padawan at least your honest about your self absorbtion. Whatever the producers motivations for that film were the social malaise the Diamond trade promotes has been documented a lot longer than that. I'd love to know if you've been to Sierra Leone or anywhere else in question?

This is definitely something I fault the media for not drawing attetntion to. Its truly unforgiveable. Then again who owns most of the media? I wonder if Rupert Murdoch owns stock in Debeers?

Again folks, if you're looking for someone with a proverbial heart

"Think! Its very Romantic!
 pocketlisting808
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2009 11:59:21 AM
I wear a diamond ring of my own design. I love it. It is an aesthetic expression for me. It looks great on my finger especially when my nails are freshly manicured. It is something I do for myself. The value in it is not the materials although some could be impressed. It is that throughout the day I get to look at a beautiful bauble I helped create.
 Padawan61
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2009 1:03:48 PM
Ever since I watched Blood Diamond, diamonds have lost quite a bit of their luster for me. The exploitation and violence makes me sick

Aside from food, water and energy ... which are essential ... nothing else has any real value until someone desires it. It all depends on what each of us consider valuable. Personally, jewelry is meaningless unless I can turn it into cash in order to acquire something that I really do want ... which may not be anyone else's cup of tea."

Well Padawan at least your honest about your self absorbtion. Whatever the producers motivations for that film were the social malaise the Diamond trade promotes has been documented a lot longer than that. I'd love to know if you've been to Sierra Leone or anywhere else in question?

Since I do not own diamonds or jewelry of any kind ... I can't be accused of fueling the exploitation ... can I?? Hence I shall remain in my self-absorption.

Cabin ... I can't wait to read your post on pocketlisting's very much self-absorbed pride in the diamond ring she designed.
 where4
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/27/2009 3:11:26 PM
Jewelry is stupid. So is clothing, unless, of course, you use it only to protect your body from the harsh elements.

Jewelry doesn’t protect the body from the weather or the briars but in some cases it might protect the soul from evil spirits or something. Hell, garlic can do just as good a job, I guess...

But its perfume is not nearly as enjoyable as that of the rose.

Oh, a silver crucifix! That’s as good as the garlic, I understand. But what if the vampires are atheists, for chrissakes?

I never had an engagement ring when I was married. We went together and bought my white gold wedding band at the PX for $21. Seems that tradition requires some kind of ring at the marriage.

When the old boy left our marriage I briefly considered dropping my pearls in the commode for him to find when I moved out of the house; once rejected I moved out of the state and I left the house behind for him. But I enjoyed wearing those pearls, dammit! And, many years later, I’m glad I didn’t leave them behind in the toilet. It would’ve been a silly symbolic gesture. After the heat of anger passed I was able, once again, to remember with fond emotion, the night he came up behind me in the bedroom and fastened the dear-bought pearls around my neck with his trembling hands. We went on to our holiday party where one of his close friends confided that he knew beforehand that I’d be wearing pearls that night. I felt so (dare I say it?) treasured.

Every economic commodity is costing somebody somewhere something. We can get all political about anything if we try. (Don’t get me wrong - I do it, too.)

The fact remains that lightning bugs glimmer in the dark to attract a mate. They always will. Peacocks fan their gorgeous tail feathers for the same reason. Humans have been adding sparkle to their bodies with minerals for many thousands of years. It won’t be stopping anytime soon.

Me? I can’t deny that I love a Cinderella evening out once in a while, sparkling jewels and all. I’m a real animal, I guess!
 yna6
Msg: 35
Posted: 8/27/2009 4:11:45 PM
Like the "engagement ring"...supposedly using 3 months of wages to get it. Some kind of sybol fo what you make, and how well you are able to care for your bride, or some such drivel.
What a waste. Those same three months wages could have went to a down payment on ahouse. Same with weddings. 10-20 grand on a wedding is almost nothing in todays society. What a waste.
Put the money where it will do the most good...cretainly not in some "wedding planners" pocket or a jewelers! Try actually putting your money where it will provide a roof over your head or groceries or some such thing!
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Anyone else not see the value in diamonds and other jewelry?