Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > What does it take for you to Block someone on POF?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 oleandrummer
Msg: 3
What does it take for you to Block someone on POF?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
using the ignore tactic tends to just anger people especially people who put time into putting a message together. People who just say "whutup" or "hi" deserve to be ignored. in my case when i send a message and the person isnt interested she would just reply and say "im not interested" and im perfectly fine with that but the silent treatment just wants to make me spam the person to absolute annoyance for my own satisfaction :). I mean im a nice guy but to be the silent treatment is like getting the middle finger stuck up at you IMO.
 c_deacon
Msg: 4
view profile
History
What does it take for you to Block someone on POF?
Posted: 8/25/2009 3:13:08 PM
What does it take? When "NO" is not considered an answer, reason is not applicable, ignoring is considered a come on, and they think more is always the right response........

I have blocked maybe two in all the years that I have been here, and that is mostly because no matter what I said or tried, they felt slighted by not having my attention and desire to know them better.

It takes quite a bit to get me to that point because I am one that tries to listen with an open mind, and understands that there are many sides to all issues, opinions, desires, etc., so the best way is to be tolerant at first and slowly work your way to an understanding of "NO", or hit that block key.

Just my opinion..........
 Blakkardaberry
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2009 11:12:13 PM
I love hate mail its the only kind I get. Who cares really the only people I block are that ones that try to sell me things when I am eating dinner at home. I can just as easily ignore people I am not so full of myself I have to read every hateful message I receive. I really have to care about your opinion too give it much thought or consideration anyway.
 ReallyCleverOne
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2009 10:11:25 AM
I've only block two people both because they just wanted to argue & send rude emails when I said I wasn't interested. I don't have time for that.
 karma1160
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/26/2009 10:45:52 PM
I have only did it once the guy sent me nasty messages on my phone and got pissed cause I would not answer and had a temper tantrum. uggggggggg Then tried to contact me on here months after like we had never met.
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/28/2009 8:53:02 AM

Primarily, when dumb youngin's (20-somethings) can't take the hint that I'd rather chew my eyelids off than go to Chuck E. Cheese with them.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/28/2009 10:07:34 AM
If your first message is sexual in content, you're blocked. If you send me the same form letter I didn't respond to the first time, you're blocked. Want to complain about my list of guys I'm not interested in? You get blocked. It's pretty simple stuff really.
 A Moment in Time
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/28/2009 11:48:31 AM
When someone stands me up for a date and has a lame excuse for it then i have no interest in speaking with them again, have better things to do with my time than wait around for someone who can't call/text to let me know they can't make it.
 nicestguy2know
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/29/2009 5:23:51 PM
I agree with oleandrummer. It's only polite to respond in some fashion to someone who has taken the time to not only read your profile but to write. (Of coarse I'm assuming the written message was not rude or obscene!) I always try to write back to anyone who has taken the time and trouble to contact me. For those who don't respond at all when I've written to them, I just figure that maybe they aren't as classy or real (or maybe are a "player") as they tried to sound in their profile and I probably wouldn't want to know them afterall.
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/8/2009 10:16:52 AM
I very rarely feel the need to block anyone as I've been pretty fortunate and 99% of the gentlemen I've corresponded with have been courteous and gracious.

Then there's that 1%.

Got a message this past week just saying, "GREAT TITS!!! >>>>"

Moron.

I blocked the window-licker after sending back a most scathing reply.
 MysteryTramp
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2011 11:27:40 PM
Why don't you just hide your profile then contact only those you find "attractive"? I know that wouldn't feed your ego. Common etiquette requires us to smile back, say hello back, or answer a message to those who send one our way. Obviously, not all fish learn this in schools.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/7/2011 3:22:44 AM

Why don't you just hide your profile then contact only those you find "attractive"? I know that wouldn't feed your ego. Common etiquette requires us to smile back, say hello back, or answer a message to those who send one our way. Obviously, not all fish learn this in schools.

Not bad advice, however-every decent man with a good profile who actually was who he said he was, contacted me from his HIDDEN profile. If I had been hiding mine and searching...Id have never found them. These men prefer to do the contacting and dont feel the need to advertise because they like to make the first move and find that they are not attracted to any of the ladies who email them...so they hide thiers and only contact the ones they like. Problem is-if everyone did this no one would find one another in searches so some of us have to be searchable.

I block more often now than I used to.

I state clearly in my profile what I am seeking and what I am not seeking so I feel I dont owe a response all they had to do was read it and they would know Im not going to be interested. Even if you are HOT -if you have young kids or another of my dealbreakers Im not going to chat/date you. No response. If you keep emailing me, blocked. All ya had to do was read the profile.

If I have an Ad on kijiji looking for a motorcycle Im not going to respond to inquiries asking if Id consder a truck. Waste of my time.

Common etiquette requires us to smile back, say hello back, or answer a message to those who send one our way. Obviously, not all fish learn this in schools

In real life if a man smiles at me, and I smile back...he wont likely bombard me with a ton of talk...and if he did and I told him 'thank you but I am not interested in dating you'...he wouldnt stand there and throw a hissy fit in the store...but yet they do that online. Dont compare this to real life because in reality most men would never use name calling face to fact when rejected but they sure do it on here alot.

I used to say 'we should all reply to every email'....I dont say that anymore. If everyone was polite when being rejected I would still feel this way. But when faced with reality, we adjust our ways.
 cheryl1229
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2011 4:37:03 PM
So far, and I am new at this, blocking is a last resort. I have blocked 2 people, both of them guys I actually met, and both of those were awful. When I got back home, I had emails about what I was missing, how good they are, whatever. I didn't want to play any more email games, so I blocked them.

I blocked 2 others, because they wouldn't take "no" for an answer. "But if you'd just take the time to get to know me, you could see that my life is complicated because my live-in girlfriend isn't putting out for me anymore! But I'm a nice, standup guy!" Yeah, right. And I'm next month's Playboy centerfold....

I am guilty of deleting emails from people that I am not attracted to, based on their profiles. Mostly, I try to respond to anyone that there is any doubt in my mind, but the ones that are clearly not my type, sorry.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 27
Posted: 7/9/2011 7:10:24 AM
maybe it should be the reverse of facebook, you could keep a pictoral and profile history display of all the ones you have blocked
with of course the challenging question mark icon - Are you next ?!
hell upgrade with a 'farm ville' app where you get points and crops, and tractors for each new one you block !
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/9/2011 7:51:01 AM
Simple.

Had a 61 yr old man message me for the first time this AM and asking me to phone him. I told him, "No."

He messages back and says he has a "Really big package for me."

Delete.

Block.

As I said, simple.
 Bookbelle
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2011 4:57:57 PM
The only time I've blocked someone, it was a man old enough to be my father, who first off totally misread my profile, then talked about settling down and having kids in the immediate future!

I'm only on POF for the forums at the moment (though I have used it for dating, and have met people off here - I'm just taking a break for now to work on personal issues), but I had put "open/undecided" on whether I wanted kids. (Seeing as I'm only 21 now, and think that if I WERE to have kids, it would be when I am settled, in a LTR - preferably married - and hopefully actually planning to have them.)
Anyway, first (and only) email, he wrote something like, "Oh I see you want kids, I do too! "

WHOA!
First of all, I am in NO WAY ready to have kids, and don't know if I even *want* to have any. Even if I did, I have no plans to settle down with someone only a few years younger than my parents!

So I sent a reply saying NO in no uncertain terms, and blocked him. I found him creepy, quite honestly.
Partly, I felt creeped out because ever since I was about 15, I have had old men and generally creepy guys approaching me... obviously feeling that, because I'm overweight etc, that I must have such low self esteem or whatever that I'll be totally grateful for any male attention I get, no matter how old/unattractive/creepy they are.
 ohenryx
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2011 7:21:03 PM
I have never blocked anyone, never saw any need to. To the best of my knowledge, I've only been blocked once. A woman had a really sexy picture as her main profile pic (still does, as a matter of fact) and I emailed her asking if she got a lot of bites with that bait. She responded, "No, I don't, I think all of the men on here are queer!" and immediately blocked me. Say what????
 Simon4567
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/9/2011 8:59:35 PM

I have never blocked anyone, never saw any need to. To the best of my knowledge, I've only been blocked once. A woman had a really sexy picture as her main profile pic (still does, as a matter of fact) and I emailed her asking if she got a lot of bites with that bait. She responded, "No, I don't, I think all of the men on here are queer!" and immediately blocked me. Say what????

I blocked one woman for snapping at me. I asked her an honest question, and she flipped out. She must have had a bad day or something?
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/11/2011 5:43:22 PM
I've blocked two women.
The usual reasons.
Wouldn't accept "not interested" and kept pestering me.
 jpwrnglrwmn_forumsonly
Msg: 33
Posted: 7/11/2011 6:54:58 PM
I usually block people for the following reasons:
1. They provide some sort of sexual innuendo before they've even asked anything about me (ie. one man asked me "Is it okay if I'm a butt man?" and when I clearly asked questions trying to get to know them, not their sexual preference.
2. If they've contacted me before, and I wasn't interested. . .and all they have to say "How have you been?"
3. If I'm just not interested. .as one poster said . .it saves the hassle of being contacted again by them.
 cherryyblossom
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/13/2011 6:51:50 AM

I've blocked two women.
The usual reasons.
Wouldn't accept "not interested" and kept pestering me.

Wow, women also cannot take "no" for an answer. Why do I almost always see men complaining about being rejected then?
 ds7202
Msg: 35
Posted: 7/16/2011 12:17:29 AM

Primarily, when dumb youngin's (20-somethings) can't take the hint that I'd rather chew my eyelids off than go to Chuck E. Cheese with them.

BAHAHAHAH!

hey now, not all of us "young'ns" like Chuck E. Cheese dates! :P

(oh, and not all of us are dumb, either)

haha
 SONNI100
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/21/2011 1:03:45 PM
Doesn't take much these days......

Greetings with sexual overtones get the 'axe' right away:-)
 LeMonaLisa
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/22/2011 8:38:18 PM
"What does it take for you to Block someone on POF?"

Not a whole lot.
 paladin2020
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/22/2011 9:15:07 PM
Thats a good question,, like that,, It use to be easy to navigate the site..for what ever reason, the compilcated employees make the brighter,, they forget about user friedly,, a lost word on the net,, no reason for it either,, harder to navigate doesnt mean better,, MORONS,, New techs,, REALLLY.. Its called The Peter Principle,,,,look it up,,,
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > What does it take for you to Block someone on POF?