Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > They are showing online for hours & says it's not them doing it? It'      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 2
view profile
History
They are showing online for hours & says it's not them doing it? It's automatic honey????Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

A person cannot just keep logged into the POF servers without the server recognizing inactivity (done through cookies). Right?
Right.

With this site, it will show you as Online Now for approximately fifteen minutes past the time you were last active, but it will NOT display you as logged in for hours.

Cheers...
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 5
view profile
History
They are showing online for hours & says it's not them doing it? It's automatic honey????
Posted: 8/30/2009 1:46:55 PM
The way the site works is that the person has to have initiated an action in order to remain logged into the dating side of the site. Logging an action could be anything from updating their profile and clicking in the 'Update Now' button, sending an email, opening an email or initiating a favorite.

If the person were to log in and then not actively participate in the site, they would be logged out after 15 minutes of inactivity.

There is NO way to automatically log into this site, it takes deliberate action without exception.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 7
view profile
History
They are showing online for hours & says it's not them doing it? It's automatic honey????
Posted: 8/30/2009 1:56:48 PM

Sooo, if auto login is the basis of you tagging the guy as a player, then I suspect you have tagged a player, "a player" with insufficient research.
I disagree... if you'd take the time to read her original post, he clearly states that he has no control over the logging in of sites on his computer.

The scenarios you've posed indicate a deliberate action and programming of logging in, and yes, there are many such programs that can be created for a variety of systems activations... to create one for a dating site and then tell someone that you have no control over it is simply assinine.

Then to expect someone to believe the drivvel that they've allowed a program to 'control' itself... well, I would suggest that he be nominated for a pulitzer for the invention of Artificial Intelligence... and I personally would prefer to date the program than the person that lays blame to such a creature.

So... in summary. No, this site does not have a way to log into it without deliberate action.
 techgirl27
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2009 3:17:22 PM
Good chum has a point, but I hightly doubt anyone would do that, especially a non-IT person. And besides, the only way to do it is to set it up *deliberately*, so there is no way that someone would have "no knowledge" of their computer being logged in yet they know its "automatic honey". Uh huh, yeah right.
 dydx
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/31/2009 4:22:43 AM
You know....

One could easily spend hours on this friggin' forum and not realize it.

Don't wanna be construed as a "playa" when alls I is is a bored nosy geek wannabe.

Just sayin'
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2009 4:24:34 AM

One could easily spend hours on this friggin' forum and not realize it.
You can log onto the forums side of the site and have absolutely no effect on the email/dating side of this site. They're two different sites that have been merged in that they take their userbase from the same database, but act and react differently when manipulated by the userbase.
 subtlecaffeine
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2009 8:09:33 AM

You can log onto the forums side of the site and have absolutely no effect on the email/dating side of this site. They're two different sites that have been merged in that they take their userbase from the same database, but act and react differently when manipulated by the userbase.

Yup. I can punch in the forums addy directly and it always logs me directly in to the forums...however being logged in to the forums has no effect on being logged in to the other portion of POF. I've never had to relogin to the POF forums...oddly enough.
 REDDRAGON.
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/1/2009 2:39:02 PM

Well... I know a good deal about conserving server time. Do you think that the brilliant Markus, the founder of this site, would allow all of us to just set our computers up to stay automatically logged into the site for hours??? Of does this site work with cookies and if there is a period of inactivity, won't the site just automatically kick you off the server as being logged in? What do you think?

Pssssttt.... I won't be going on another date with that particular "Gentleman." He's a P-L-A-Y-E-R! But that's not the topic of this discussion.

One 3 hour meeting at Starbucks and you are ready to boil the bunny? yikes.
 Helen0426
Msg: 32
Posted: 9/1/2009 4:21:58 PM

I'm sorry... the weird meeter just went off for some reason...

It was weird from the outset. She actually watched his online status for 2 hours - and after one date?

If she really did leave because of the next date, I wish him luck...
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2009 6:44:48 PM
There is NO way to automatically log into this site, it takes deliberate action without exception.

Wanna bet?
I'll take that bet.
 fitandfun78
Msg: 38
Posted: 9/1/2009 7:23:16 PM
Wow, OP, you checked-up on this guy a ridiculous amount of times, then busted his chops over being online after ONE meeting with him? SO WHAT if he was online after you met him, so were you! You were checking up on him, you were checking your mail, maybe he was as well. Maybe he was reading the forums, maybe he was doing other things around the house and occasionally seeing who viewed him, I do the SAME THING when I'm home ... I'm on here, logged-on, for hours and am hardly sitting here staring at the site the whole time.

For goodness sake, you met ONCE, you sat and talked with each other for 3 hours and when you put him on the spot about being online afterwards and questioned him about his online habits, and you're SURPRISED that he lied to you? You must've sounded absolutely crazy confronting him this.

You sound like you have WAY too much spare time on your hands to me ... my suggestion is to stop being so paranoid and investigative until you've at least discussed if you and the man you've met are even an item. Until then, it's fair game on here.
 4408joseph
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2009 7:25:54 PM

I'll take that bet.

Put me down for a Bennie, cause you'll lose..

They are showing online for hours & says it's not them doing it? It's automatic ..

Yep.. in my case...Several ways, but I can't explain it techanically..

First off I leave my computer on for days and weeks at a time.. Now then whenever I am on the computer(meaning at my desk) I always open my pof site...Kinda like pimping myself out... I never log out,, and my window will still open over night...12 hours later many times..

As for the auotmatic thingy..

With verizon/aol 9.1 you have an option that if the computer is turned on ( or like a line interuption..elec etc or just aol plain dropping off)...ALL...I repete ALL open windows(sites) automatically come back on...ebay/pof/ed.line/ etc..

Why pof does not log off I really don't know... The irony is... some....TIMES when I'm in the middle of typing in the forums it will log out...

Also POF will let you (at least through my computer) the site with a dozen windows to the same site... Well at least like 4 for 100% sure never tryed more then 3 or 4..

I know all this for a fact from playing around when a good friend of mine who works late shift use to say .."oh saw you was on at 2 am ...WTF... I went to bed midnight..

Then I was at her house 1/2 hour away..She was logged on on her lap-top...Damn...there it was I was on, and Current this was last summer..

I do surf, minimize windows, and have 1/2 dozen open all at the same time as listen to radio streamlined through australia played through house stero... Can I explain it in technic talk...NO...but any computer whiz that comes to this forum I'd be glad to answer any questions I can..

Gateway 817GM..Windows Vista update....both verizon commercial broadband provider and aol internet service ( I know extra 25/monthly, but I love aol) I can log on dail-up if I like..

Bottom line .... FACT... I leave from my computer hours even over night and still don't need to log on to POF ...Fact.... elctric flashes(lose connection) and all my open windows will automatically open back up...

Joe friday..."just the facts mame"
 77Ryan
Msg: 40
Posted: 9/1/2009 7:47:02 PM
Regardless of whether it CAN be done or not. After meeting you for the FIRST time, he owed you no explanation. Lying was stupid on his part because it was pointless. Personally I would have called you out and asked you why you were so worried about what I was or was not doing.
 LOVESTRUCK_wannabe
Msg: 42
Posted: 9/1/2009 8:14:49 PM
As far as I know the POF server logs people out after a certain amount of time. It's not all that long coz I've tried playing Canasta on a gaming site and keeping both running but POF always times out and I have to log back in again.

The thing that bothers me most about all the concern about whether a date is online or not is because it gets downright silly like some type of 'Spy vs Spy' comic in MAD Magazine.

Or the well worn joke about a guy being a drunk coz another guy sat in the bar himself and watched the first one drink all nite.

I log in all the time whether I've been on a meet and greet or not. I check my mail, my matches, who viewed me, the forums, my favourites, and whether my freaking kids are behaving themselves on here (yeah both of them). So what.
 clasact
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2009 8:19:59 PM

This is why even though a tinfoil beanie can't block all the rays, it is still worth wearing one for the rays it can block.

THE most relevant response to the actual question of this OP.

Good grief!
It was a meet and greet...... it wasn't like he volunteered to give you one of his kidneys OP and you're making sure he's not going to back out and need to keep tabs on him. YIKES!
 LOVESTRUCK_wannabe
Msg: 44
Posted: 9/1/2009 8:21:07 PM
BTW, I joined the site first and my damn kids initially joined to keep an eye on me. Even brought family arguements into the forums and then told me to read what the wrote. Did at first but then I realized I was just buying into their attempts to push my buttons. But yeah, I do check up on them from time to time.
 8thTonOFun
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2009 9:39:22 PM
+37...both of you girls stated what I was thinking.

Good job making the poor guy paranoid, 'cuz everybody deserves a fair shake, don't they?

Let's just convict the guy and review the evidence later. Good thing that's not how our judicial system works...if it did, I wouldn't be here today! JEEZ!

He made up that story because he felt uber creepy that some broad he spent three hours having a coffee with admitted( without prompting) that she shows every single indicator of a bunny boiling stalking nut bag.

Nothing like telling a man you really don't know that you are crazy jealous and if he continues the relationship he wont be able to have any female friends or smile at waitresses in breakfast joints without you blowing a gasket.

Well played Sister, thanks for making women every where look mental.

Wow, OP, you checked-up on this guy a ridiculous amount of times, then busted his chops over being online after ONE meeting with him? SO WHAT if he was online after you met him, so were you! You were checking up on him, you were checking your mail, maybe he was as well. Maybe he was reading the forums, maybe he was doing other things around the house and occasionally seeing who viewed him, I do the SAME THING when I'm home ... I'm on here, logged-on, for hours and am hardly sitting here staring at the site the whole time.

For goodness sake, you met ONCE, you sat and talked with each other for 3 hours and when you put him on the spot about being online afterwards and questioned him about his online habits, and you're SURPRISED that he lied to you? You must've sounded absolutely crazy confronting him this.

You sound like you have WAY too much spare time on your hands to me ... my suggestion is to stop being so paranoid and investigative until you've at least discussed if you and the man you've met are even an item. Until then, it's fair game on here.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2009 3:29:40 AM

I never log out,, and my window will still open over night...12 hours later many times..
Simply because your window is open does not mean you are actively logged into the site.

With verizon/aol 9.1 you have an option that if the computer is turned on ( or like a line interuption..elec etc or just aol plain dropping off)...ALL...I repete ALL open windows(sites) automatically come back on...ebay/pof/ed.line/ etc..
Again, having an open browser window is not the same as being logged in…

The interaction that is required is the input of the password – that requires either the deliberate action of entering the data, or writing a script that will run at regular intervals – neither should be confused with allowing the browser window to remain open.

As for the scenarios that you’ve further described, someone must have been using your account for you to remain active after the 15 minutes of inactivity.

Bottom line .... FACT... I leave from my computer hours even over night and still don't need to log on to POF ...Fact.... elctric flashes(lose connection) and all my open windows will automatically open back up...
Facts: http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts7983900.aspx

Pay particular attention to the entries that are marked either moderator or admin – btw… admin built the site so I would at the very least presume he knows what he’s talking about.

Pay up…

*Note... this thread was started in the Help forum - moved to Technical and somehow ended up in the dating... which is why I'm not commenting on the reason she was on the site as well, just the technical aspect of the situation...
 BACHELOR02
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2009 4:36:10 AM
The first thing I think you should do is call the police and see if you can have him arrested for "fishing without a license". Once he's under arrest you could ask the district attorney to order a lie detector test to see if he actually went back online after your date. Then, when the court case comes up, you could suppoena all your POF computer experts to testify against him. Perhaps you could even sue him in civil court for "pain and sufering". What really scares me is how many people on this website agree with you and tried to substantiate your claim that this poor guy really was on HIS computer, AFTER your meet and greet date ended. You went on just one short date with this guy and you already have grounds for divorce! You need professional help and should not be dating. TG for this guy that there are ...plenty of other fish in the sea!
 majyk1
Msg: 48
Posted: 9/2/2009 5:32:13 AM
This has absolutly NOTHING to do with staying logged on or whatnot.

#1. The guy lied. STUPID
#2. You were checking up on him? WEIRD

And to those who think you are the "only" person someone is talking to, you are delusional! It's a "dating" (I use that term loosly) site. You dont get one or two messages or talk two or three times and all of a sudden you are the center of their universe. That is unrealistic.
 cookie22222
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2009 5:34:23 AM
Maybe he was online all that time waiting to see when YOU were getting offline.

For God's sake, can't people act like adults? WHO CARES???
 4408joseph
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2009 7:09:48 AM
Okay.....

Again, having an open browser window is not the same as being logged in…

You are right that is correct... But my post was more "information"for the computer whizes..

Sometimes when I open the window I do have to sign back in,,but most..I will repete MOST times I do not even when I have been away for hours or over night..This is a fact... It also happens to a close friend of mine 10 mins up the road I've known for 20 years..

Pay particular attention to the entries that are marked either moderator or admin – btw… admin built the site so I would at the very least presume he knows what he’s talking about.

Agreed I would think that, but someone that has been here almost 4 years I have seen many many changes..and people having problems no one else has, and get the generic.."Oh it's a gletch in the system" answer.

By the way.. When In forums the the sob POF site will log me out quick.. I CAN NOT keep the forums log on..

Also I can log on to POF go to a member minimize. Then hit favs (sometimes it makes me log again sometimes not) AGAIN minimize..I can do this several times each minimize will keep the same page(that member) and again I can leave my computer for hours and DO NOT have to log in..

Now I can not do this with ebay and other sites... If I minimize and then hit favs,, The minimize will open full screen..

Personally I'm blessed mechanically and have never paid anyone in my life to fix anything I owned.. However, computers I do not understand, and I've played and played..

My computer is a media software computer..dual hard drives, and around 7 G's of media software...BUT...BUT.. that does not explain the samething happening to my friend...BTW she also has verizon and aol..Yes she pays for both..

Does that matter??????

One last thing... I live 2 mins from library... I pick my son up... He's logged on to POF and(yes was 17 saying he was 19) and I had been away from my computer for at least an hour... Sure enough I'm on his favs, and it says ON-LINE....

For the record...I have had plenty of plenty of times POF friends make comments (several in other countries) say... Jeeze Joe saw you on in middle of night..

I really don't care, but I'm here to tell ya it does display you are ON-LINE when you can be away, and also I can go to bed around midnight get up 6am, pull POF out of toolbar and do NOT need to sign in..more times then not..Yes I'd say guessing 25-35% of the time I will have to re-log...

Seems not to relog as much if when minimized...not positive.. Just seems if I bring full screen I'm okay, if I left with screen open , it makes me log in.. any thoughts???

Purely just curious...I did start a thread about this 2 years ago, but it ended up removed. BECAUSE........

Follow me.. I lived 45 min drive from a POF'er I dated for 3 months.. Running late one day, she cussed me out, telling me I was on playing in the forums...Well low and behold. Many times I could drive to her house, she would log on pof and again... it showed me On-line... her favs showed sometimes hours ago, and sometimes just mins ago...

If you think I sat here for 1/2 hour to type this.. you are wrong..Do I care if it shows me on...NO I can log-out..Is it my computer and or connection??? But what about Kim?.. and she had not opted for the ISP option to RE-SIGN if lost connection..(which) by the way I turned that back off a year ago, as it got on my nerves....

* and yes I give a rat's butt if OP wants to play spy/control freak/or self issues, the techanic-O end makes we want to know more
 4408joseph
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2009 7:17:22 AM

This has absolutly NOTHING to do with staying logged on or whatnot.

It does have something to do with it... Purely because the computer may say you are ON when actually you are not.

I think it has to do with honesty of the person myself. People for the most part lie or don't lie...However, in a computer age, and LORD knows the insecurity/paranoid level of internet dating, one more hurdle for those that really care.
.....Hummmm the computer says he/she is on-line... but they say they are not...

Oh what a...LIAR...toss them back...
 arwen52
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2009 2:58:04 PM
Why were you checking up on him? You were online, too. And this was after one meeting? If someone was monitoring my computer activity, they'd be history.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2009 3:10:11 PM

You can set a keyboard stuffer to "tickle" and you can define what that tickle is. A simple loop of sending the "Back" key will force POF in to displaying the previous (History) web page. You then put in a delay and then send the "Next" key value to go to the page you just left.
Which would be considered deliberate user interacton...

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > They are showing online for hours & says it's not them doing it? It's automatic honey????