Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Data Security      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 justcuzwhatever
Msg: 2
Data SecurityPage 1 of 1    
I usually just reformat the hard drive and reinstall the basic system software.
 AppleGeek
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Data Security
Posted: 8/30/2009 6:59:08 PM
If your concerned about the data use a pair of and cut the cables that connect the drive to the circuit board on the bottom. Or drill a whole all the way through the drive.
 jbking2
Msg: 4
Data Security
Posted: 8/30/2009 7:40:45 PM
I don't use any software. The last time I got rid of a computer, I had tried at least a handful of times to reload the O/S onto it without success so I just e-cycled the machine at a nearby Staples.

I did enjoy seeing what the guys at the office do which involves a pick axe, a Bobcat and some other construction gear re-enacting the scene in "Office Space" with the printer and the baseball bat.
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Data Security
Posted: 3/1/2010 3:12:02 AM
I use the 'shred' utility myself (Linux) - I think DBAN might just be a frontend to this. It's Free, and works a treat. You can also chose whether to leave the random bits or go through with an all-zeros pass when you're done.
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Data Security
Posted: 3/1/2010 3:13:43 AM

I also wanted to mentioned, that with data security software / unerase / recovery / formatting tools you really do pay for what you get. Common sense says paid software applications are going to work far better than free tools, and provide better or more features.

This is complete garbage in every way possible. The free tools for this application are both stellar and more reliable than their proprietary alternatives. This is just someone trying to justify spending money they could have kept.
 zergzlol
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Data Security
Posted: 3/1/2010 11:05:05 AM
I forget what tool it is that I've used in the past, but it's a DoD thing that makes 7 passes, I believe. Including writing all 1s, writing all 0s, writing alternating 1s and 0s, and whatever else it does. Basically it wipes your drive several times over to make sure there is absolutely NOTHING but nonsense on it.

I thought it was free, but I could be wrong.
 LinuxD
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Data Security
Posted: 3/1/2010 2:33:36 PM
Killdisk,DBAN ,LLF,Formatting with Gparted in a couple different formats,Zero fill, I use a miz of different things and do multiple wipes,if someone wants to take the time to try to recover anything from the drive they can be my guest,not that i have anything to hide.

Here is a scary thought, Had a customer bring me 2 computers,one with a thrashed hard drive that was dead,the other had a drive they wanted pulled and placed in the other system. (it was one they had gathered from curbside) They wanted me to start the 2nd system while they were there to make sure the drive was workable,so I did.

After booting into XP I was floored.. right there on the desktop was a folder named "Personal Info" ( I am NOT making this up) Inside were text files from the previous owner with Social security numbers,bank account numbers and PIN's,School schedules for the children,you name it,it was there. I grabbed a USB key and copied the folder over to it and played off to the customer like everything was alright and then told them I'd do the switch over.. When they left I called the person who's info they had and asked them to come to the shop which they did and I asked them if they had in fact thrown out the computer and they replied that they had done that a few days prior. I then told them what I had found and their face paled.. I gave them the USB key and nuked the drive in front of them. They were greatly relieved and thanked me profusely for my honesty and thoughtfulness. I was happy that it was not a stolen computer but was freaked out that someone would be that careless in this day and age.. I gave them my card and told them if they ever got rid of another pc to bring it to me and i would wipe the drive for them for free.. It's a service I'd do for anyone for free. Just one of the scarier things I've ran into while working on computers..
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 19
Data Security
Posted: 3/2/2010 6:44:15 AM

what software do you use to wipe your hard drive?

I generally use a hammer.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Data Security