Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Running with a weighted vest.... anyone do it?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 a_little_nervous
Msg: 1
Running with a weighted vest.... anyone do it?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Has anyone used a weighted vest? I'm thinking of an x vest or something similar...

About two years ago, I used one and it totally kicked my ass! Shortly after I started using it, I entered a relationship and got *distracted* from my routine. Now that I'm single + have been working out for a few months, I'm thinking of using it again...

What are other people thinking of using vests like these, has anyone used them before?
 Edsta
Msg: 2
Running with a weighted vest.... anyone do it?
Posted: 8/31/2009 12:52:00 PM
I tried it, a 20lb vest, but the bouncing was problem---chafed the hell out of my nips (I run shirtless in the summer) so I had to run with my forearms kind of holding it down, and wore my heavier traditional running shoes for the extra padding. It was interesting...made me run even more on the balls of my feet (am already a midfoot striker), and of course when I took it off after running about 2.5 miles in it, I felt like I could fly forever.

Asked for opinions about this at a runner's forum and the near-unanimous consensus was DON'T DO IT, will lead to joint damage. The weight vest is designed more for walkers than runners, they said. Instead, a chute was recommended, so am thinking about getting one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/World-Sport-Speed-Training-Parachute/dp/B001DAWYM8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1251748081&sr=8-1
 avpd
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/31/2009 12:54:17 PM
I wouldn't do it. Running is hard enough on your joints without adding extra weight.
 Vanders Mark
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/31/2009 6:43:06 PM
I don't use mine for running...but they are excellent for pull ups among other things
If you're thinking about getting one...

http://www.closegrip.com/adonis/Doitwithresistance.html

I found this after a little searching and it's great...cheap too because it uses standard olympic plates...no weights to ship...the zippers on mine are kinda wonky..but it's got velcro straps that hold the weight in place...so it's no big deal
 a_little_nervous
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/31/2009 9:39:18 PM
@ edsta

Hmm... mine is totally snug, that hasn't been an issue.

About the joint issues, that's a good point. I used mine just for runs on the trails by the river here, all of them are dirt trails. I've moved, though, and I was thinking of going to the park to run up + down the big hill there.

We'll see. Tough as hell, though. Very humbling!
 Edsta
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/31/2009 10:18:35 PM
Vandersmark,

I'm curious, what's the maximum poundage that the Adonis vest can take? I tried to find that info on the website, but it didn't say.

I already have a dip belt that I use for pullups and dips, so I'm covered on that. I can't imagine that the vest could compete with the amount of weight that a dip belt can hold.

But I am intrigued at the idea of using a weighted vest for yoga poses, as shown in the photos on the website. Have you ever tried using it for yoga?
 Edsta
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/31/2009 10:23:05 PM

About the joint issues, that's a good point. I used mine just for runs on the trails by the river here, all of them are dirt trails. I've moved, though, and I was thinking of going to the park to run up + down the big hill there.

I would think that on soft surfaces, as long as you're not a heel-slammer when you run, the vest should be ok. What brand of vest is yours? I'm envious about the non-bouncing! Mine was from Walmart, generic "Gold's Gym" brand, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but at $42 it wasn't totally cheap...

Can't decide to return it or keep it for easy slow runs and warmups...
 JWG86
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/31/2009 10:34:29 PM

You know what would be a better workout? Run on sand if you can at a beach or lake, it's lots of work and not as hard on your joints as added weight would be.

I hated running on sand. You are right. It is a killer workout. Since I don't have sand here, I run hills, up and down. HIIT training style.
 a_little_nervous
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/1/2009 5:06:25 AM
@ Edsta again

It's an older style x vest - check the website here: http://www.thexvest.com/

The velcro straps really prevent bouncing and keep the thing on really snug (sometimes it feels a bit too snug, when I'm really getting short of breath)

I got it for $45 on ebay ($60 shipping, still less than the $175 the local store wanted for a new one)... Haven't used it that much, as I've said, but I've been thinking of it every time I see that hill a block and a half away.
 MissaInVA
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/1/2009 6:39:41 AM
Running with a vest sounds like a bad idea to me. When I broke my ankle, my podiatrist said that when you run multiply your weight x 3 and that is how much the impact on your joints is.
 Edsta
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/1/2009 7:09:38 AM

It's an older style x vest - check the website here: http://www.thexvest.com/

Looks great! Much more sensible design than the one I have. Guess I'll be returning mine for now, and will get yours if I decide to continue with this type of training.

How much weight did yours come with? The website says it can take up to 84lbs, wow that is impressive.
 Edsta
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/1/2009 7:11:46 AM

my podiatrist said that when you run multiply your weight x 3 and that is how much the impact on your joints is.

That's probably true for the typical heel-striker, which unfortunately is the default model for most physicians and running shoe companies. Midfoot striking transfers most of the impact off your joints and onto your muscles.
 a_little_nervous
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/1/2009 9:45:23 AM
Mine's a 40 lber... however, 30 is more than enough for me for now! It has very small weights, about the size of a chocolate bar (and weighing about 2 lbs each) that fit into small pockets in the vest.

Neat thing, it is.

However, I don't see running in the thing every day - I think that's what some people are suggesting when they talk about joint issues. I would only train with it once a week, to add variety to the routine.
 avpd
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/1/2009 11:13:14 AM
I hated running on sand. You are right. It is a killer workout. Since I don't have sand here, I run hills, up and down. HIIT training style.

Running up hill is fine. Running down the hill is a problem. I have found that is hard on the joints too. You don't usually find that out until you are pushing 40 though. Then you tell your doc and he says you shouldn't have been doing that. OOPS.
 Edsta
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/1/2009 12:06:08 PM
^ Yep, what people often do is they go downhill way too fast, and/or overstriding with a hard heel-first landing in an effort to control their speed. The safer way to run downhill is to land flat footed, with the footplant under your body not in front.
 winteragain
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/1/2009 1:58:21 PM
You haven't implicitly stated your goal. Do you want to increase cardiovascular endurance, run longer, spring faster, build leg muscles, look goofy, etc? On a side note, what does everyone here think about running with dogs, because I did it 2 days ago and the rottweiler totally bit my ass!
 Edsta
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/1/2009 2:29:15 PM
This is YOUR rott or somebody else's that was loose?

If it was a loose dog you should carry some pepper spray. And whatever you do, never ever run from a dog esp. a big fast one like that.
 Vanders Mark
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/1/2009 5:09:53 PM

I'm curious, what's the maximum poundage that the Adonis vest can take? I tried to find that info on the website, but it didn't say.

Most I've had in there is 50 pounds, two 5 plates in each front pocket, three 10 plates in the back...you may be able to squeeze one more plate in the back...but it gets a little uncomfortable if you have the majority of the weight in the back.....

Have you ever tried using it for yoga?

I will once I buy my own plates for it...my gym doesn't have enough 5 lb plates...so I'm walkin' around the gym for an hour hoggin' all the small plates. I'm very interested in doing weighted yoga, hoping it'll give me more results 'cause I need to get motivated to do it on a regular basis...
 Luzername
Msg: 19
Posted: 9/2/2009 1:34:51 PM
So, first off I'd like to say that I run from 1-6 hours at a time usually once a week though I do more when time permits. Been at it for about 3 years and I built up mileage slowly on the roads and trails.

I have never used a weighted vest but last year I started running with a small pack to carry enough water on long trail runs. I have had it loaded heavily which made the runs more challenging (something you would appreciate) and because the pack had a water bladder and extra space, I was never hungry or thirsty unless I miscalculated my caloric needs.

Anyways it took getting used to initially and I got a sore spot on the small of my back from chafing initially but that eventually toughened up as did my shoulders. Never experienced joint pain because I, unlike too many runners, built up my mileage slowly (no more than 10% a week); I also use a running technique called Chi Running which is a low impact style of running worth Googling if you are prone to injuries.

Anyways, I think there are much better ways to improve leg strength than combining running with weight training so maybe just stick to ramping up your runs on steeper ground. I guarantee you won't be wishing for more weight on the steep sections of the Baden Powell Trail; more water and Cliff bars maybe, but not weight discs.

Hope that's of some use to you.
 Luzername
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/2/2009 1:38:41 PM
Oh and also, many experienced runners advocate incorporating full body strength training focusing primarily on the legs and core muscles into your running routine. I've done this for years and it makes a huge difference. I can leave my partner in the dust on hills quite easily :)
 arwen52
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2009 4:22:20 PM
Sounds like a bad idea. Think of what, over time, you will be doing to your knees, ankles, hips, and spine. (Maybe your shoulders, too.) The human body was not designed to run with weight on it. I can give you the names of quite a few bike racers in their 40s who were runners (without weight) for years and finally wore out their knees and other weight-bearing joints. Just think of what would have happened to them if they'd been carrying 20# on their torso? Why on earth would you want to do that to yourself. There are plenty of ways to get a good workout. Respect your body. Don't ask it to do things it wasn't designed to do.
 James Bottomtooth III
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/4/2009 4:59:32 PM
...Has anyone used a weighted vest? I'm thinking of an x vest or something similar...

Does being fat and active count?

For me.

Pro: After you lose the weight - Strong legs.

Con: Multiple knee surgeries.

Bonus: "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!"*

...The human body was not designed to run with weight on it. I can give you the names of quite a few bike racers in their 40s who were runners (without weight) for years and finally wore out their knees and other weight-bearing joints...

You can add my name to list.

*Lance Murdoch
 wl425
Msg: 23
Posted: 9/4/2009 8:43:27 PM
Great investment imo. Can do a ton of bodyweight exercises with it besides general sprinting and regular running.

Having said that, you should pay attention to the weight you use if your sprinting and running. I believe most manufacturers will say no more than 10% of your bodyweight should be added. Otherwise, your form starts to suffer. I can attest to this through trial and error, and highly advise you to start gradual with it.

I recommend the Xvest out of all the weighted vests out there. I have tried many off brands, and this is the best out of the bunch due to ease of changing weights, fit, and durability!!!
 Edsta
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/5/2009 10:09:01 AM

I can give you the names of quite a few bike racers in their 40s who were runners (without weight) for years and finally wore out their knees and other weight-bearing joints.

And I'd bet good money that 90% of those folks had lousy biomechanics---namely, overstriding and heel-slamming. Probably wore some clunky 14oz marshmallow-shoes with 2" heels.
 Oohyou
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/5/2009 8:02:52 PM
The kinesiology of running forward downhill makes it abusive to your knees.

The only safe way to run downhill is to turn around and run backwards. Seriously. This keeps your heel from touching the ground; you just bounce on your toes like you're jumping rope or doing boxing footwork.
Sure, you have to keep looking over your shoulder so you don't crash,
and you may feel you look silly, but if you want to run uphill and then get back downhill quickly (rather than a long slow walk) without punishing your knees, run backwards downhill. I used to run up a long hill (dirt road) which took me about 15 minutes (just the ascent).

Running with extra weight on your body is asking for trouble.
(An exception would be on very soft smooth sand, with a plodding jogging stride.)
However, a long fast WALK with added weight can be very beneficial, without penalties. I am pleased with the experience of walking fast for 45 minutes or so with a pair of 5 lb ankle weights and a pair of 5 lb handweights (often slowly punching as I walk -- slowly is more beneficial and safer).

Next I might get a weighted BELT -- 15 or 20 lbs -- for my long fast walks.
Unfortunately none of my local sports equip stores sells them, so I can't try one on first -- seems my only option is to buy one online.

Has anyone here tried any kind of exercise wearing a weighted BELT?
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Running with a weighted vest.... anyone do it?